How does the jackpot in multiplayer work?

• Thread starter Yavy92
  • 17 comments
Yavy92
I've been doing alot of multi-player races and the jackpots appear but seem to fall off the player names and nothing happens... am i meant to do something in order for it to take effect?

Reading the manual in game it says that races are chosen randomly to be jackpot races. From what I have seen, the jackpot will always show up and cycle through the players but that doesn't mean that it will stick.

Yeah sometimes it does'nt stick but when it does the guy with the jackpot needs to win. If he does'nt nothing happens but if he does ALL winnings goes to him, meaning the credits/cash for 2nd, 3rd, 4th placings is his. The rest gets nothing, 0 credits/cash.

I've been doing a lot or multiplayer races and noticed that Jackpot thing appears every time a car makes it to the beginning of the last lap. Some times it stays on, but some times it just falls off. What's wrong? Why does it fall off and what has to be done so that it can be kept on?

In my experience, it just seems to be random unless anyone can confirm otherwise?

The best multiplier I've had was X6. Won almost half a million Cr if I remember rightly.

The best multiplier I've had was x9 - which I only got after playing continuously for weeks. Also, Syaitann's post about nothing happening when the Jackpot player loses is not correct. In my experience, if the Jackpot player comes second, all players get the Jackpot multiplier applied to their winnings. If the Jackpot player wins, though, all the other players' winnings are multiplied then added to the winner's score. Everyone else gets nothing.
If you're playing with a friend to earn cash, you both win if the Jackpot player comes in second :)

I've had 10x multiplier and yes when the nominated player doesn't win, everybody gets 10x the credits. It seems to go up 1x at a time each time you hit it without it dropping off the screen. I might be wrong about that though.

I just want to understand WHY it falls off? Is it people suck too much? What?
Random dude. I don't think anyone can get more philosophical than that. :P
If the game decides that the jackpot falls off, then it does. If it doesn't, that means it doesn't. Simple as that.

I did about 8 races on autopilot last night, and never saw a Jackpot stick. It was just teasing me. :(

But both my PSPs had the same nickname, so tonight I'll try with one changed.

The game manual (accessible from the top-level screen) says something about accumulating the multiplier with successive wins.

When you got jackpots, were you racing with extra AI opponents, or not?
Do you use party mode or professional? Is the only difference between party and professional the accumulation of a handicapped start?

When you got jackpots, were you racing with extra AI opponents, or not?
Do you use party mode or professional? Is the only difference between party and professional the accumulation of a handicapped start?
I don't think that it matters. I've been racing all variations you mention and did not see any change in the odds that the jackpot will stick.

I've got the feeling that the odds for getting a jackpot are quite low (25%??), but once you get the first to stick in a race (2x), than the odds increase. Otherwise it would be very very unlikely to get to 6x or higher payment.

Success last night. I did change to two different names. Also did shorter races. (3 laps at Test Course, which is sort of an odd distance because the prize doesn't go up). My R92CP beating up on my drone's Speed 12 (kindly shared to them by me). Great thing was they got the jackpot, so they built up credits too (to buy cars to share with me). I think I got up to about 6xCr150,000. And at some time I made the drone buy a Veyron and did a few races R92CP beats that. (First was close, because Veyron managed to draft, after that, not so close--I wonder if it accidentally switched back to Sports tires?).

After that, I went to 3 laps of Sarthe(old). That got up to a 3x payout, my R92CP still beating up on their Veyron. So I did a 20 lap race and got a jackpot (4x) too. But unfortunately all those were exclusive to me. But I did buy a 787B which I later discovered I could share with my drone.

Still continuing in the same session, I started a Nürburgring 600km race (30 laps) before I went to bed, as I had done the night before (Cr800,000 is reasonable income, even without jackpots). (all races were AI versus AI, btw). I woke up in the middle of the night, and it appeared the finished race did not get a Jackpot. I was at about Cr10,000,000. So I started another 600km race, and when I next woke up, I was sitting at Cr16,000,000 and the drone had got something almost as substantial, too. So he must have got about a 7x jackpot in 2nd place, I think.

In the morning I couldn't resist taking the time to share the 787B with the drone, and did a couple of R92CP beats 787B at Test Course short races, getting one jackpot. But I exited to save and do some other tidying and experimentation. (You can go to trade even if there's no other PSP around, and thereby view all your tradeable cars (mostly the best ones)--you can even put them into your favourites there).

So I might see if my drone can collect (from me) all the cars available to him without ever leaving day 1.

Seriously, any adult with reasonable disposable income, but with constraints on their time, should buy a second GTPSP setup--it's not worth spending the time to do lots and lots of money-making races when you can do other things while your drones do it for you. And the jackpots, and the fact the game day doesn't change, just reinforce the argument.

Seriously, any adult with reasonable disposable income, but with constraints on their time, should buy a second GTPSP setup--it's not worth spending the time to do lots and lots of money-making races when you can do other things while your drones do it for you. And the jackpots, and the fact the game day doesn't change, just reinforce the argument.

I do this every day and earn tons of cash. I have 1822 cars one PSP and 17XX something on the "drone". Fun stuff!

Short races is a good idea. Yoy can do several short races in the time it takes to do one long race. And more races means an increased number of times where you might trigger a jackpot.
If you look at how much you get for winning a short race compared to a long race, you will see that the amount of money per lap is much higher for a short race. This means that you can make the same amount of money in fewer laps by doing short races rather than long races.
An example: If you win a race with 5 laps at High Speed Ring you get 150.000 Cr. To get twice that amount of money you will need to win a race with 20 laps. If you win two races with 5 laps each you will also get 300.000 Cr. But you have only driven half the amount of laps. And you have twice as many possibilities to get a jackpot.

But you can start a long race, and then go to sleep. I just discovered that the "Professional" Races can go up to 99 laps.

Back