How does the tranny trick work?

Brunet Paquet

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
AllAroundGamerJC
Watts Newman77
I've read a lot of posts saying:"Hey man,do the tranny trick! It's awesome!!" but i'm really unsure of it works. Hahah.:)

So,yeah. can someone please tell me how the Tranny trick works?đź’ˇ

And i have to add,i'd love it if you could tell me the Metric way it works,as i use Kilometers as a speed counter,and i'm sure a few things would change here. :D

Thanks guys!! :gtpflag::gtplanet::gtpflag:

There are various ways to carry out the 'Tranny Trick', none of which require wearing womens clothing, thankfully.

The following is how I setup all of my gearboxes, before I carry out any track specific tailoring.
  • Set to default
  • Set Final Gear full right (highest number)
  • Set Top Speed full left (lowest speed)
  • Set individual gears (ignore the actual figures and just look at the incremeantal markers on the slider, treat it as 0-100%, going from left to right)
  • 1st Gear (40%)
  • 2nd Gear (40%)
  • 3rd Gear (50%)
  • 4th Gear (60%)
  • 5th Gear (70%)
  • 6th Gear (80%)
  • Set Final Gear so that the indicated speed in the top right hand corner is 10-15mph higher than the top speed you can achieve at any given track. If you're running at a track where you can draft a lot, then ensure the indicated speed is even higher.

If you have a 5 speed box, ignore 1st gear above. If you have a 7 speed, then set 7th gear to 90%...

{Cy}

There are various ways to carry out the 'Tranny Trick', none of which require wearing womens clothing, thankfully.

The following is how I setup all of my gearboxes, before I carry out any track specific tailoring.
  • Set to default
  • Set individual gears (ignore the actual figures and just look at the incremeantal markers on the slider, treat it as 0-100%, going from left to right)
  • 1st Gear (40%)
  • 2nd Gear (40%)
  • 3rd Gear (50%)
  • 4th Gear (60%)
  • 5th Gear (70%)
  • 6th Gear (80%)
  • Set Final Gear so that the indicated speed in the top right hand corner is 10-15mph higher than the top speed you can achieve at any given track. If you're running at a track where you can draft a lot, then ensure the indicated speed is even higher.

If you have a 5 speed box, ignore 1st gear above. If you have a 7 speed, then set 7th gear to 90%...

{Cy}

Erm,i think i messed up real bad here hahah,i ended up with 208 Km/h (about 125 MPH) on my Fiat barchetta giovanne due '00 which has about 290 HP (based on CV's which are french unit or HP or BHP) :boggled:

Is it meant to be like that or is it me who just messed up terribly? i'm guessing the second! :lol:

I'm a very clumsy player a lot of the time.:crazy:

I don't think i'd be okay with 208 Km/h (about 125 MPH) of max speed on a bomb of a lightweight car unless i'd race on a very tight track. can someone tell me where i messed up so i can,well,get a bit more max speed to get some more stuff done,otherwise i might end up bruising more cars' max speed ROFL. ^^'

Did you set the final gear? Adjust it to read (top speed in upper right) 10-15 MPH higher then the speeeeed you're trying to reach.

Maybe? Hope it helps :dopey:

Tree'd :dopey:

I've read a lot of posts saying:"Hey man,do the tranny trick! It's awesome!!" but i'm really unsure of it works. Hahah.:)

So,yeah. can someone please tell me how the Tranny trick works?

Well, you go to a progressive doctor who will do the procedure and then you take....err, wait. Oh, a transmission.

Erm,i think i messed up real bad here hahah,i ended up with 208 Km/h (about 125 MPH) on my Fiat barchetta giovanne due '00 which has about 290 HP (based on CV's which are french unit or HP or BHP) :boggled:

Is it meant to be like that or is it me who just messed up terribly? i'm guessing the second! :lol:

I'm a very clumsy player a lot of the time.:crazy:

I don't think i'd be okay with 208 Km/h (about 125 MPH) of max speed on a bomb of a lightweight car unless i'd race on a very tight track. can someone tell me where i messed up so i can,well,get a bit more max speed to get some more stuff done,otherwise i might end up bruising more cars' max speed ROFL. ^^'
See below, Sir. The final step, once you've set your ratios, is to adjust your final gear to suit you needs...
Did you move the final gear slider back down? Or is it still all the way to the right?

Did you set the final gear? Adjust it to read (top speed in upper right) 10-15 MPH higher then the speeeeed you're trying to reach.

Maybe? Hope it helps :dopey:

Tree'd :dopey:

{Cy}

Thanks guys! :D

I obviously forgot to set the final gear how i wanted it. :lol: i got my Fiat Barchetta back to 280 Km/h (150 mph or so) max speed doing so,see how i'm clumsy and that i miss a lot of steps in what i gotta do.:embarrassed:

Anyhow,i'm getting a lotta more "oomph" in the car acceleration,and even when my cars're raw (assistless and without ABS) they drive great and the power feels very direct!! ^^

Actually i like to spread my 6 gears like this, it make a good sound and have a better retake out slow and medium speed corners
1st=0%
2d=30%
3d=60%
4th=85%
5th=100%
6th=100%

I did do some analysis on gear ratios at one time and tested it on the track. Although it made only tiny differences (about a car length in the standing 1000)on the test track it was measureable. My theory was that the best way to utilize the power band was to use the exact same RPM range in every gear, where possible. As it turned out, from a visual standpoint, the gaps in the gears as they appeared on the graph were progressively larger from left to right. Once I figured that out, I eyeballed it from then on, figuring the formula was too complicated and intricate to be useful on a day to day basis.

• Set to default
  • 1st Gear (40%)
  • 2nd Gear (40%)
  • 3rd Gear (50%)
  • 4th Gear (60%)
  • 5th Gear (70%)
  • 6th Gear (80%)

{Cy}

i use this kind of gearbox but i put the final at a certain number like if the car got low power,i put the final at something low but high powered,i put in something high unless im drifting.but not too high that the car is not gonna reach its top speed.after i put the top speed at the same direction this guy puts it,i put the final gear all the way down.i put 1st at the left and 6th,7th,or 8th at the right.then change the other gears to my fitting.for top speed,i make the top speed as high as possible but again not too high.

Wait, I've been doing it wrong!?
Not at all, like I say, there are many ways of doing it. See the responses below đź‘Ť
Actually i like to spread my 6 gears like this, it make a good sound and have a better retake out slow and medium speed corners
1st=0%
2d=30%
3d=60%
4th=85%
5th=100%
6th=100%
I think your initial setup of your gearboxes is different to mine too, isn't it..?? Or do you max Final Gear and min Top Speed too..?? I find that doing the initial setup like that, if I set 1st gear to 0%, I bog down on grid starts. Even 40% for some FWD & 4WD cars can be too low and I up it to 50%. I also like my gears to be a slightly tighter spread. I'm an auto shifter, so really my way is for automatic gearboxes, running smoothly and seamlessly between gears.

We must also remember who has the fanbase and the Shootout wins, so as I say to the OP, there are many ways to achieve the same thing, my way is just one đź‘Ť
I did do some analysis on gear ratios at one time and tested it on the track. Although it made only tiny differences (about a car length in the standing 1000)on the test track it was measureable. My theory was that the best way to utilize the power band was to use the exact same RPM range in every gear, where possible. As it turned out, from a visual standpoint, the gaps in the gears as they appeared on the graph were progressively larger from left to right. Once I figured that out, I eyeballed it from then on, figuring the formula was too complicated and intricate to be useful on a day to day basis.
For my comprehension and the benefit of those too shy to ask, what exactly do you mean by using the same RPM range?? Using my example above, would you set each ratio at the same %..?? Or am I over simplifying things??
i use this kind of gearbox but i put the final at a certain number like if the car got low power,i put the final at something low but high powered,i put in something high unless im drifting.but not too high that the car is not gonna reach its top speed.after i put the top speed at the same direction this guy puts it,i put the final gear all the way down.i put 1st at the left and 6th,7th,or 8th at the right.then change the other gears to my fitting.for top speed,i make the top speed as high as possible but again not too high.
I've not really matched final gear to PP or power levels, I do prefer higher final gears, it maybe psychosomatic, but I feel that cars turn and rotate better. Apart for fast tracks, setting my gears as above usually results in high(ish) final gears. I don't like final gears that dip below about 3.000, again, could be psychosomatic, but I just feel cars labour...

{Cy}

I get it now, wearing women's clothing isn't NECESSARY, but it's not a problem if I like to wear frilly panties. :lol:

Being completely honest now, this thread is interesting, if only for the insight into how others tune their gears.

1st=0%
2d=30%
3d=60%
4th=85%
5th=100%
6th=100%
Yahtzee.
Although I have started to use 1st for pit exits (AI pulls out from idle without rev) and 2-6 on track recently.

I get it now, wearing women's clothing isn't NECESSARY, but it's not a problem if I like to wear frilly panties. :lol:

Being completely honest now, this thread is interesting, if only for the insight into how others tune their gears.

Certainly not necessary, but I'm more comfortable with silk under my Nomex...

{Cy}

My theory was that the best way to utilize the power band was to use the exact same RPM range in every gear, where possible. As it turned out, from a visual standpoint, the gaps in the gears as they appeared on the graph were progressively larger from left to right. Once I figured that out, I eyeballed it from then on, figuring the formula was too complicated and intricate to be useful on a day to day basis.
For my comprehension and the benefit of those too shy to ask, what exactly do you mean by using the same RPM range?? Using my example above, would you set each ratio at the same %..?? Or am I over simplifying things??

What I beleive he's implying is that the RPM range should be the exact same for every gear. Meaning, every shift, has the exact same RPM drop, and uses the exact same RPM range. This range is determined by max power and max tq.

He mentions the formula and it's intricacies but I can simplify it for those who struggle with(and/or just hate) Algebra.

The formula at it's base is:
RPM of Max Hp(GearY/GearX) = RPM of Max Tq

Gear Y is the higher gear, the one being shifted IN to. (Start point)
Gear X is the unknown value of the previous gear(shifting from) and the key part of the equation
Max Hp/Tq are self explanatory.
The only unknown value is Gear X.
Gear Y is the variable in the equation.
Algebra boils down to isolating the X on one side of the equation...

Simplified Equation:
(Max HP RPM * Gear Y) / Max Tq RPM = Gear X

Step 1: Default your transmission
Step 2: Get your 6th gears default value (GT5 Screen)
*6th gear is your starting point, represented by 'GearY' above, but is the variable in the equation.
If you're starting with 6, then Gear X will be 5th gear. (Always the next gear down.

Step 3: Fill in the known values

Example Car:
Max HP 9000
Max Tq 7000
6th Gear value .888

(9000 * .888) / 7000 = Gear X

Step 4: Solve the equation
*Always start with parenthesis
(7992) / 7000 = Gear X
*Gear X is going to be 5th gear(an unknown value of), because Gear Y was 6th, and you go down by 1 gear each time.
7992/7000 = 1.1417
1.1417 = Gear X (5th Gear)

So now you have your 5th gear, based on what your 6th gear was.
Regardless of any other gears, you could go drive the car right now, and when you shift from 5th, into 6th, the car's RPM will be 7000RPM (or whatever your max tq RPM was, for your equation)

You can now repeat the equation, for each subsequent gear, where you use 5th gear to figure out 4th
4th gear to figure out 3rd
3rd to figure 2nd
2nd for 1st
And this will result in every gear, using the same exact RPM range, from 7000-9000.

For reference: (I usually just round to the 3rd decimal)
6th: .888
5th: 1.1417
4th: 1.4679
3rd: 1.8873
2nd: 2.4265
1st: 3.1198

The problem with this, is that you can't always get the values you need, from GT5's ranges. That's the hurdle you have to play with.

BUT...
There's an easier way to play with this, rather than repeating the equation above 5 times, for every new 6th gear you find.

The difference from 6th gear, to 5th is a percentage of 1.286
* .888*X=1.1417
X = 1.286

This is now your constant variable for every gear, regardless of the numbers you use. So, you can set the transmission to 100 different potential value ranges, and all you have to do is multiply by the 1.286 to get the next gear. (Starting with 6th and working your way down to first)

So, Default the tranny, set the top speed MPH 1 click left or right, use the new 6th gear, multiply by 1.286 and that's your 5th gear, multiply that by 1.286, that's your 4th gear, multiply that by 1.286 that's your 3rd and so on.

This allows you to quickly try multiple settings to see if you can find the right value ranges, that will give you the variables needed to successfully apply the perfect RPM range setup.

If anyone wants me to do this for them, on a car they have, and walk them through it as an example, please feel free to do so. Give me the default transmission 6th gear, where the car makes max hp, and tq, and I'll gladly walk you through the steps.
Remember, when using power limiter, it throws off the tq/hp curves, and the values have to be manually estimated. The HP will plateau at 5000rpm, and remain there until 7000rpm, this means you use the 7000rpm as the correct value. The highest possible RPM at max power.

Once you have the values, the final gear will only effect top speed and never alter the rpm range that the cars uses. Only how long it's in each gear/rpm range.

Last edited:
I always use less and less of a range in higher gears.
For example, on a narrow power band with peak power at 6200rpm:
1-2 7200/5200 (1st to 7200rpm, shift and start in 2nd @ 5200rpm)
2-3 7000/5400 (2nd to 7000rpm, shift and start in 3rd @ 5400rpm)
3-4 6900/5500 (etc)
4-5 6800/5600
5-6 6700/5700

What I beleive he's implying is that the RPM range should be the exact same for every gear. Meaning, every shift, has the exact same RPM drop, and uses the exact same RPM range. This range is determined by max power and max tq.

He mentions the formula and it's intricacies but I can simplify it for those who struggle with(and/or just hate) Algebra.

The formula at it's base is:
RPM of Max Hp(GearY/GearX) = RPM of Max Tq

Gear Y is the higher gear, the one being shifted IN to. (Start point)
Gear X is the unknown value of the previous gear(shifting from) and the key part of the equation
Max Hp/Tq are self explanatory.
The only unknown value is Gear X.
Gear Y is the variable in the equation.
Algebra boils down to isolating the X on one side of the equation...

Simplified Equation:
(Max HP RPM * Gear Y) / Max Tq RPM = Gear X

Step 1: Default your transmission
Step 2: Get your 6th gears default value (GT5 Screen)
*6th gear is your starting point, represented by 'GearY' above, but is the variable in the equation.
If you're starting with 6, then Gear X will be 5th gear. (Always the next gear down.

Step 3: Fill in the known values

Example Car:
Max HP 9000
Max Tq 7000
6th Gear value .888

(9000 * .888) / 7000 = Gear X

Step 4: Solve the equation
*Always start with parenthesis
(7992) / 7000 = Gear X
*Gear X is going to be 5th gear(an unknown value of), because Gear Y was 6th, and you go down by 1 gear each time.
7992/7000 = 1.1417
1.1417 = Gear X (5th Gear)

So now you have your 5th gear, based on what your 6th gear was.
Regardless of any other gears, you could go drive the car right now, and when you shift from 5th, into 6th, the car's RPM will be 7000RPM (or whatever your max tq RPM was, for your equation)

You can now repeat the equation, for each subsequent gear, where you use 5th gear to figure out 4th
4th gear to figure out 3rd
3rd to figure 2nd
2nd for 1st
And this will result in every gear, using the same exact RPM range, from 7000-9000.

For reference: (I usually just round to the 3rd decimal)
6th: .888
5th: 1.1417
4th: 1.4679
3rd: 1.8873
2nd: 2.4265
1st: 3.1198

The problem with this, is that you can't always get the values you need, from GT5's ranges. That's the hurdle you have to play with.

BUT...
There's an easier way to play with this, rather than repeating the equation above 5 times, for every new 6th gear you find.

The difference from 6th gear, to 5th is a percentage of 1.286
* .888*X=1.1417
X = 1.286

This is now your constant variable for every gear, regardless of the numbers you use. So, you can set the transmission to 100 different potential value ranges, and all you have to do is multiply by the 1.286 to get the next gear. (Starting with 6th and working your way down to first)

So, Default the tranny, set the top speed MPH 1 click left or right, use the new 6th gear, multiply by 1.286 and that's your 5th gear, multiply that by 1.286, that's your 4th gear, multiply that by 1.286 that's your 3rd and so on.

This allows you to quickly try multiple settings to see if you can find the right value ranges, that will give you the variables needed to successfully apply the perfect RPM range setup.

If anyone wants me to do this for them, on a car they have, and walk them through it as an example, please feel free to do so. Give me the default transmission 6th gear, where the car makes max hp, and tq, and I'll gladly walk you through the steps.
Remember, when using power limiter, it throws off the tq/hp curves, and the values have to be manually estimated. The HP will plateau at 5000rpm, and remain there until 7000rpm, this means you use the 7000rpm as the correct value. The highest possible RPM at max power.

Once you have the values, the final gear will only effect top speed and never alter the rpm range that the cars uses. Only how long it's in each gear/rpm range.

Wow Adrenalin, you really made my day with this. I have always struggled to understand the powerband and how to use it when setting up my transmissions. You have put it in a way that I now can understand it. Thanks Adrenaline, you're a life saver.

I use a far more simple tool to compare gear ratios.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akr4MBOtjOcqdGw1RjVpOS14R0htZXQ4NEZDUzBRWmc

With this tool, I can quickly compare settings and the outcomes; "more speed" or "more torque" using built in formulas. This is also a great way to compare using the tranny trick and not. The individual gear settings mean nothing untily you calculate them through the final drive gear. I have seen people use the trick tranny yet when comparing the gears through the final drive, they made alot of movements with very little change to the gears through final drive.

The major differerence that I can see from using the trick tranny vs. not is that the trick tranny allows for taller 1st and 2nd gear settings. This can be useful on higher HP cars to help reduce wheel spin. On 400PP cars, the trick tranny isn't really all the useful or necessary, in my experience.

While dissecting Hami's spreadsheet, trying to find it's value to tuning,(no offense) it sparked me to create a spreadsheet for the equations I laid out in post #18.

So... Here you go.

All you have to do, is fill out the Grey Areas.
I'll verify that the protections are correct, but essentially input your 6th gear, Max HP and Max Tq RPM's and it gives you the mathematical advantage of the power curve for every gear.

As a fall back, and because I know it occurs...
If the initial values do not fit within the GT5 limitations, the right side of the spreadsheet will calculate the percentage from the left side. You can then input and experiment with different 6th gears, until you find one that fits for all 6 ranges.

Edit: Apparently, the site/spreadsheet can't be interactive on the webpage like I want, without sacrificing the security of the formulas. (I'll look into this later, if anyone knows feel free to speak up) So, just open the spreadsheet, I added 5 of the same exact sheet, just in case multiple people are using it, but I doubt it'll be an issue.

Last edited:
Adrenaline - not trying to go against your method, rather trying to add to it. I think gear ratios need to also be looked at calculated through the final drive. Individual gear ratios mean nothing without considering the final drive setting.

I like your sheet, but to make it more useful, I would like to see a final drive set of calculations too.

Adrenaline - not trying to go against your method, rather trying to add to it. I think gear ratios need to also be looked at calculated through the final drive. Individual gear ratios mean nothing without considering the final drive setting.

I like your sheet, but to make it more useful, I would like to see a final drive set of calculations too.

The final drive has zero effect on the power band of the motor.

The final drive has zero effect on the power band of the motor.

True statement, but the final drive also has an effect on converting the torque from the engine through the drive wheels in all gears. Your current tool can be of help in setting the spacing between gears, but it will not help to decide when to do the tranny trick all the way right to say 5.500 vs. when to stop at 5.000 or 4.500 or 4.000. Looking at the final drive numbers can help make that decision.

I am thinking that your tool with final drive taken into account could be very useful.

Last edited:
Its not working for me, unless I'm just a dumbass. It won't let me fill in the grey areas.

You have to click on the option to "open the file" so that it takes you to the actual document.

True statement, but the final drive also has an effect on converting the torque from the engine through the drive wheels in all gears. Your current tool can be of help in setting the spacing between gears, but it will not help to decide when to do the tranny trick all the way right to say 5.500 vs. when to stop at 5.000 or 4.500 or 4.000. Looking at the final drive numbers can help make that decision.

I am thinking that your tool with final drive taken into account could be very useful.

I'm not disputing the theory nor use of the Tranny trick.
My statement is that for my specific spreadsheet, final drive has zero effect on the outcome of the RPM ranges. Whether it's set at 2.000 or 5.000 every gear will be exactly X to Y. The only thing Final drive effects, is how far X and Y will take you, and how quickly you'll get there. But the RPM's will never change.

Is this option not there on the website? If not, the link is here. But let me know about the website, so I can try and take care of it.

33309213.png

Back