How Gran Turismo is Made: A Behind-The-Scenes Tour of Polyphony Digital

This was an article 18 years in the making, and a big personal milestone for myself and GTPlanet.

It was an amazing, unforgettable experience and I will be forever grateful to the people who made it possible — including all of you who read and participate in this community every day. Thank you!

:gtpflag:

These were the official practice rigs available to the World Tour drivers in Tokyo, so they were running the exact same equipment.

Nice to know. Looks like they have it also in the office test table with T-GT and some pretty old logitech gear. :lol: Fanatec is now a viable option for T-GT.👍

"With the next Gran Turismo game still a closely guarded secret, this is a particularly sensitive time for Polyphony Digital."
Not only the next Gran Turismo, but the next console too! I guess Poly has double checked everything before the tour^^
Poly as a studio seems ready for its next game and seeing Daiki Kasho reminds me some of the most epic songs in GT3 :bowdown:

Very nice read. I remember seeing a video back in the day, where I believe they worked in a car park type of place. It's really something about them having to reduce the polygon count, that they receive from manufactures, to be able to work with consoles by hand.

Also, I really like Kazunori's shirt!

Quite a large office there, definite improvement over the old building.

Please tell me @Jordan if Daiki Kasho will release a new song (for anything, not just Gran Turismo).

Also funny that Lenny Ibizarre is there as well. Mayne thats why his song still plays even in transmission mode :D

Actually going to the studio is a surreal experience that the pictures can't do justice. It was an absolute honor to be amongst those who were given the opportunity to visit the PD studio, and I can't be thankful enough for them allowing us to be in their world. These guys are top notch, and their studio is nothing short of breathtaking. It really makes me hope we can return next year for a potential future tour, as I would love to return and/or have some new people experience the magic.

Still waiting on Motor Toon Grand Prix 3.

With the end game cheat to change the whole game into gt sport driving model please.

Actually going to the studio is a surreal experience that the pictures can't do justice. It was an absolute honor to be amongst those who were given the opportunity to visit the PD studio, and I can't be thankful enough for them allowing us to be in their world. These guys are top notch, and their studio is nothing short of breathtaking. It really makes me hope we can return next year for a potential future tour, as I would love to return and/or have some new people experience the magic.

The way PD had to model their cars back in the PS1 is just fantastic,what a fantastic job the artists did to put those models in the game.

A new GT being under wraps is to be expected but i would freak out if i saw any Omega Boost looking mechs.

Awesome article its so great to see the founder of GT Planet getting invited and access to PD it shows how much PD values GT Planet.

Im gonna be honest im actually for looking cars that they might be modelling.

I wish it was the Toyota GTone that just popped up. Any leaks or something it feels like a drought over here for me :(

Last edited:
This:
Kazunori made one particularly interesting comment about surface traction. Polyphony’s capture teams do collect traction data from the tarmac surfaces of the tracks which they scan. However, variable surface traction is not currently modeled in Gran Turismo Sport. The fact they do have this information is noteworthy and suggests that it might be something we see in Gran Turismo in the future.
So players can see, it doesn't matter if some want to use Comfort softs or Racing Mediums, that track surface is the key.

Once the Michelin data is set and IF PD add surface data, then we'll see some "real" magic.

Thank you for sharing this awesome experience.

Kaz said that the cars in Gran Turismo 5 had 500,000 polygons. I’m confused why this article says the cars in GTS only have 70,000 polys.

Latest Posts

Back