How in shape are you?

• Thread starter Citrus
  • 203 comments
Meh, I've dropper a 16Kg on my chin before when trying to do dumbell presses at the end of a long workout, it's all good.

Do you have anyone spot you when you do bench though? You'd probably have more confidence to do heavier weights if you did.

Well, I have been starting with weight training again as well now that the coldest period of the year is over. I had to start with some lbs less since I didn't want to start too heavy, which is probably plain stupid, but I'm doing over 200 sit ups when I work out, of which 110 in a row, which I don't consider such a bad thing since I still have some overweight 👍 (from 95 kg down to 80 at the moment, 5-8 kg still off from goal).

Some guy constantly moans about that I train with too light weights, but I each time try to explain that it isn't purely with how much weight you train, but how often you train. 30 kilos on the benchpress 3 times a week will help you along more than 60 once a week, but he won't listen to me, idiot :grumpy:

Anyway, here's how my schedule looks at the moment:

Monday - work out: bench, legs, sit ups, shoulder shrug, dead lift, shoulder curl (?, standing straight and lifting the weight up to your chin), and some standing preacher curls. (3 sets, 10-12 reps of everything)

Tuesday - cardio, running, anything from 8 km-16 kilometres, sometimes only 3 km but on a very high pace (5 min./km)

Wednesday - work out as on Monday

Thursday - cardio, as on Tuesday

Friday - Work out, as on Monday + swimming 1000m., current record at 35 minutes 👍

I don't train with heavy weights, I do feel sore sometimes, but not every time, especially dead lifts are still giving me a sore feeling in my back, for a week now nearly... I don't think I should go up too much as well, I'd rather train lighter without the risk of injuries with heavy weights ;)

Oh to be young again.... Great routine for overall muscle health and overall fitness. The older you get, the longer your muscles need to recover to get the most benefit out of your workout. Remember, there is never one particular way that's the right way. You have to find what works for you. I do know that you can actually see more muscle growth from under-training, than over-training; remembering that your muscle brake down when you work out, but only heal and get bigger when you're resting them. When I was on a full body workout, Monday, Wednesday, Friday....my body got conditioned and hardly ever got sore. I made my gains but plateaued quickly. It wasn't until I began to isolate different muscle groups and only hit them primarily once per week and only getting secondary lifts other days of the week that I really started to see some major gains in both strength and body mass. Something to consider..... :)

I modify this routine, but it's the basis of my current lift. Number of reps will vary, I let my body decide how many reps and sets to do.

Getting big isn't everything, but a good pump sure feels good and being able to see noticeable muscle gains is a great reward for all the hard work. Anyone can get 'cut' by loosing body fat but getting thick and wide only comes from hard training and good nutrition.

Attachments

• workout-3week.pdf
    28.3 KB · Views: 99
Cheers Pako :cheers:

I'm not really sore in my chest and arms, but my back and shoulders...Oh man! It feels good though, I know it'll take a long time before I'm anywere were I want to be but the thought that I'm busy with it and that I'll get there as long as I hold on, keeps me going easily 👍

BTW: Is there a connection with being sore and adding weight? I'm not sore in my arms, do I therefor need to add weights for my curls?

Muscle shock is was helps to brake down that muscle. Adding weight is one way to shock that muscle. Muscle confusion to help shock the muscle is the basis for my 3 week rotation of lifts.

I have a bicep routine that is almost guaranteed to make them sore. Let me know if you want it. :)

Muscle shock is was helps to brake down that muscle. Adding weight is one way to shock that muscle. Muscle confusion to help shock the muscle is the basis for my 3 week rotation of lifts.

I have a bicep routine that is almost guaranteed to make them sore. Let me know if you want it. :)

Could I send you a PM whenever I have a question?

Judging from the pictures, you seem to know a lot of it :lol: ;)👍

Where I live, there's no gym or trainers, so it would come in handy sometimes to be in touch with a person with knowledge of training :cheers:

Could I send you a PM whenever I have a question?

Judging from the pictures, you seem to know a lot of it :lol: ;)👍

Where I live, there's no gym or trainers, so it would come in handy sometimes to be in touch with a person with knowledge of training :cheers:

Like I said, you have to find what works for you but I am more than willing to share what works for me along with some basic advise. :)

It's definitely a passion of mine and am more than willing to share my experience.

:cheers:

Well, WO for today:

Some good warm-up first 👍 and did the following...

Bench press:

- 3 sets of 12X20 kg
- 3 sets of 5X30 kg

Note: I could perhaps take 3 total sets, beginning with a 20 kg warm-up, then 30 kg, and finally 40 kg or something, I'm still experimenting between much weight-less reps or less weight-many reps 👍

Sit-ups:

-2X50 + 1X60 (the usual)

Shoulder shrug:

-3 sets of 12X20 kg

Note: Seems too easy, could easily take on much more weight...

Standing Rows:

-3 sets of 12X20 kg

Note: Quite hard to go for that last set...

Bent-over Rows:

-3 sets of 12X20 kg

Note: Seems easy, but gets heavy towards the final reps...

Dead lift:

-1 set of 12X20 kg
-2 sets of 12X30 kg

Note: I really feel my back now...

Standing Curl:

-1 set of 12X12 kg
-2 sets of 10X28 kg

Note: First time I used the "top-end-squeeze" technique. Even though that first set was way too easy, the squeezing made it feel like I did 50 reps straight...

Still staying with lighter weights, currently looking into supplements 👍

Are you using any weights on the sit-ups? I find a medicine ball (sand or water filled ball, weighs a few KG's. Just incase it's abit lost in translation) or a 5Kg weight give good results.

Yes, I was thinking about adding weights since I can go over 100 times in a row, my maximum at the moment is a total of over 200 sit ups during my work out so I was thinking I might add some weights 👍

Well, another Wednesday means another work-out, means another pounding on the muscles!

Flat-Bench Press (3 sets)

-
12X24 kg
-10X24 kg
-8X24 kg

Leg Curl (3 sets)

-12X32 kg
-10X32 kg
-8X32 kg

Sit-ups (+4kg weight from a dumbell)

-2X40+1X50

Shoulder Shrug (3 sets)

-12X30 kg
-10X30 kg
-8X30 kg

Dead Lifts (3 sets)

-12X30 kg
-10X30 kg
-8X30 kg

Standing Rows (3 sets)

-12X20 kg
-10X20 kg
-8X20 kg

Standing Barbell Curls (3 sets)

-12X16 kg
-10X16 kg
-8X16 kg

*NOTES*

Whew! What a WO! I felt great, I felt absolutely marvelous! I felt so pumped in my mind, just the determination of getting the weight up surprised me...Today I went for lighter weights, and focusing on perfect form. I also got rid of the "lift big=get big" out of my head, I will not come anywhere with it. The perfect form training got more out of me than with my usual training, I didn't expect my muscles to be so much more fatigued and the end of every set...However, I do need to plan the rows and curls better and this combination of doing rows while having a rest from a curl set seemed to be way too heavy...One last thing to note, my back, I don't know if it's pain or soreness, but everytime I lean back, my back hurts, along with a soreness feeling. This started ever since the start of my deadlifts...I hope this goes away...Last note for today, my stomach, looks like it's my best area, added weight and didn't notice the difference...wished my chest would be like this...Also, first time my girlfriend said something about my training today: "You've started to grow muscle!" YAY! First award for my commitment, now let's try to keep this up for a few months more and I'll see where I am 👍 No supps at the moment, no special diet (just watching what I'm eating, as much meat as possible, high protein, middle carbs, low fat). I'm afraid I'm still not getting my daily protein requirements...(I weigh 80 kilos...=113 grams of protein per day? Damn, one 45 gram protein shake would suite me well after my WO...) I hope I can keep this up...

Untill then, train hard and stay committed! (a la Jeff Anderson :lol:)

Well, bad news for me. I put on 1,100 lbs. on the hip sled and was on my third rep when I felt a tearing sensation followed by some intense pain in my right calf muscle. I quickly shifted all my pushing to my heals and finished out my set, but I'm afraid I may have a micro tear at the base of my calf where it connects to the achillies tendon. It hurts......bad. I don't have any clumping of muscle tissue or tendon bunching up so I don't think it's too serious but it still hurts like hell....

That is beyond not cool. You'll have to take it easy this weekend with that new tele. :D

Exactly what I was thinking; Get hold of a some good movies, collect the family and you'll easily forget that little injury 👍

I hope that's the case. With my luck, the TV won't be in today, and I'll have to wait until next Friday.....

No way, what a boring week! At least you've got your music and instruments huh? That's what I love so much about the ability to play an instrument, no training + nothing else to do = musical fun :cheers:

Anyway, Pako, how ironically it may sound, I damaged myself today as well:

Note the weights are higher, but I haven't counted in the bar's weight before, so that's why the numbers are higher, the weight of the bar is included this time :)

Flat Bench Press
-12X31 kg
-10X31 kg
-8X31 kg

Leg Curl
-12X32 kg
-10X32 kg
-8X32 kg

Standing Barbell Curl
-12X21 kg
-10X21 kg
-8X21 kg

Deadlifts
-12X37 kg
-10X37 kg
-Suddenly...

*NOTES*
No full training today, as I was lowering the bar from the second set of deadlifts, I must've bend my back just a little too much, because when I straightened my back to take a brake, I felt a small pain in the left-middle of my back. It was nothing serious but since it would affect my whole training, I tried to lift the weight steady and slow before starting my third set. As I stood up, I felt that the pain got heavier, this was not good. I laid the weight back down, and the pain was heavier. This meant no standing exercises, since any weight brought up pain in my back. So no last set of deadlifts, no shoulder shrugs, and no standing rows unfortunately...Also, no sit ups for today as I have pain in my buttocks, simple as that, from cycling. It got worse during my sit ups on Wednesday, so I took a brake :) However, some positive notes: Bench pressing went really well, I feel really comfortable with the current weight. Still no pump, but I got a feeling I can go up a few pounds for next week :) Also, during my curls for bicep and legs, I focused on negatives. I tried to get the weight up as fast as possible, keeping a perfect form, and letting it down as slow as possible. It really helped, I've never had such a pump in my biceps and legs before. So all in all, too bad for my back, but yay for my arms!

I'll do things easy in the weekend, not much cardio either to help restore my back ASAP to get on those deadlifts again!

Sorry to hear about that injury. Seems when you start to make gains and you're growing is when a injury is going to happen. I always tell people, STRETCH AND WARMUP GOOD before you workout. I didn't stretch and wasn't as warmed up as I should have been and as a result got hurt.

Glad to hear about your bench gains. Take it where you can. :)

👍

Cheers 👍

I never seem to be able to give my back a good stretch with the exercises I know, but I found an awesome website, I'll check it later for some decent stretches :cheers:

Well, I took it easy in the weekend, a lot of sleep wasn't there though but I've been sitting on my lazy ass this weekend to help recover faster, it seemed to help since I did another WO today 👍

Flat-Bench Press:
-12X72,5 lbs
-10X72,5 lbs
-8X72,5 lbs

DB Flyes:
-12X22 lbs (44 lbs in total)
-10X22 lbs (44 lbs in total)
-8X22 lbs (44 lbs in total)

Sit-ups:
-2X40 BW+11 lbs extra
-1X50 BW+11 lbs extra

Barbell Standing Curls:
-12X46 lbs
-10X46 lbs
-8X46 lbs

Deadlifts:
-12X81 lbs
-10X81 lbs
-8X81 lbs

*NOTES*

Couldn't do any shoulder shrugs and standing rows as I used to do since I had to get a new hair cut today, so I had just enough time to do my favourit exercises 👍 I upped the weight on the bench press by just 4,5 lbs but a gain is a gain ;). Also, first time with DB flyes today, but I went easy on the weights as it's very hard to control both of the DB's to get the proper movement 👍 Felt a great pump at the end though :cheers:. The pump after the curls wasn't too huge as they use to be and lifting went fairly easy, so I'll go up by 4,5 lbs by Wednesday 👍. Last note, deadlifts. Since I'm not really sure whether my back has totally recovered, I stayed with the usual weight. However, I do feel like I can up it a bit, so I'm going to take it easy on my back this week, and add a few lbs next week 👍

A last question, can DB flyes be performed with a raised bench instead of having it flat?

*snip*

A last question, can DB flyes be performed with a raised bench instead of having it flat?

There are many variations to flys. Flat bench, Incline, decline. If you have a cable cross over machine, Cable flys on an incline bench are great, as well as standing bent over flys.

Flies on an incline bench will start working your shoulders more, but you'd have to be almost completely sitting to not include your chest. Changing positions is good, though as it will work slightly different muscle groups.

To help keep incline flys out of your shoulder, keep your chest up, inflate your chest and keep the blood in it, and squeeze at the top. Keep secondaries out of the list as much as possible.

A little different WO today:

Flat-Bench Press
-12X72,5 lbs
-10X72,5 lbs
-8X72,5 lbs

Dumbell Flyes (weight posted is total)
-12X44 lbs
-10X44 lbs
-8X44 lbs

Incline Bench Dumbell Press
-12X44 lbs
-10X44 lbs
-8X44 lbs

French Curl
-12X18 lbs
-10X18 lbs
-8X18 lbs

EZ-Curl Standing Curls
-12X48,5 lbs
-10X48,5 lbs
-8X48,5 lbs

Deadlifts
-12X97 lbs
-10X97 lbs
-8X97 lbs

I'm really considering splitting my muscle groups up for a training once a week rather than the training for the whole body 3 times a week. I mean, there are so many exercises I want to do, but it would take me nearly 2 hours to do them all, that's too much. I still got to do skullcrushers, some rotating DB curls, some preachers, some triceps flys, all of the shoulder exercises. I might go and try to do my chest on monday, back on tuesday, etc... Good idea? It would definitly give me the chance to combine compound-isolation exercises more...

On that, I increased the weight on the bar for the deadlifts considerably, and still going up easily 👍 I'm feeling so good with my form right now, that I think I ould go up to 135 lbs, but I haven't got enough weights :scared: :lol:

Anyway, thanks to the incline presses, and french curls, my upper body is absolutely annihilated, even a six-year old could beat the crap out of me :lol:

I try to mix up push workouts with pull workouts. An example, my weekly workout is as follows:

Monday - Chest, Abs
Tuesday - Bicep, Tricep
Wednesday - Legs
Thursday - Shoulders, Abs
Friday - Back
Sat - Sun - Rest.

I've been getting good results every week. My muscles still get sore every week after working out on the routine for almost a year now, which is great. It means my muscles are still growing without getting conditioned to the program. When I did full body workouts 3x a week, I got to where I never got sore.

So gains and muscle growth won't be comprimised with this kind of method?

Anyway, my main question for today was about some routines:
I've got my hands on a training program, where, just like Pako's program, all muscle groups get treated once a week. I've recieved tables with the exercises, the sets, supersets, and how many reps to take but the problem is is that many include cable machines and chin-ups, as well as pull ups. Now, I haven't got a cable machine, nor anything to pull me up, so re there replacement exercises with DB's, EZ-curls or barbells for the cable machines?

On that, my triceps hurt as hell, I cannot lay my arms in my neck, they're that sore...

-Front Dumbbell Lateral Raise
-Rear Dumbbell Lateral Raise
-Lying Cable Pullover
-Rear Cable Lateral Raise
-Internal Dumbbell Rotation
-Dip Bar Shrug
-Dumbbell Shrug
-Arnold Press
-Side Dumbbell Lateral Raise
-Twisting Dumbbell Military Press
-Cross Cable Lateral Raise
-Barbell Military Press
-Dumbbell Concentration Curl
-Twisting Dumbbell Kickback
-Dumbbell Preacher Curl
-Overhead Cable Extension
-Reverse-Grip Dumbbell Curl
-Cable Press-Down
-Reverse-Grip Barbell Curl
-Reverse-Grip Cable Press-Down
-Assisted Close-Grip Chin Up
-Weighted Dips
-Twisting Dumbbell Curl
-Weighted Close-Grip Push Up
-Barbell/EZ-Bar Curl
-Close-Grip Bench Press
-Hammer Curl
-Lying Dumbbell French Press
-Exer-Ball Dumbbell Crunch
-Full Rotation Knee Raise
-Bent Leg Crunch
-Hanging Knee Raise
-Twisting Crunch
-Hanging Leg Raise
-Superman
-Lying Leg Raise
-Forward Dumbbell Lunge
-Backward Dumbbell Lunge
-Leg Extension
-Seated Leg Curl
-Lying Leg Curl
-Standing Calf Negatives
-Barbell Squat
-Donkey Calf Negatives
-Deadlift
-Seated Calf Negatives
-Hanging Row
-Assisted Wide-Arm Chin Up
-Twisting Dumbbell Row
-Wide-Arm Lat Pull Down
-Jockey Row
-Assisted Chin Up
-Wide-Arm Cable Row
-Close-Grip Lat Pull Down
-Close-Grip Cable Row
-High Pull
-Straight-Arm Pull Down
-Reverse Back Extension
-Incline Dumbbell Flye
-Weighted Incline Push Up
-Dumbbell Flye
-Weighted Dips
-Dumbbell Pullover
-Incline Dumbbell Press
-Dumbbell Front Lateral Raise
-Dumbbell Press
-Smith/Dumbbell Press To Neck
-Low Cross Cable Raise
-Incline Bench Press
-Bench Press

As you can see, a lot of exercises to perform with this program, and I have only got a bench, a barbell, an EZ-curl, and 4 DB's so unfortunately I think I'm limited to this program... I'll be on the look for replacements for those many cable and pull up exercises but I don't think I'll find any...

Ok, so I'm about to start a 2-week preparation to a 18 week training program.

Here's what's on schedule for tomorrow:

Monday: Day 1 - shoulders (1 superset)

-2 exercises, 1 as superset

-exercise: DB front lateral raise (4 sets of 12 reps)
-superset: arnold press (4 sets of 12 reps)

Never done the Arnold Press, it hits all 3 deltoids and I heard it's an excellent exercise, I can't wait! 👍

I'm extra fluffy.

I loves it! "Fluffy". That's cute. Actually, I agree and relate to that term myself heh. But, that's about to change! I'm going on a hunt today for a gym membership. Hooray! The fluff shall disappear...

Back