Leg day, heaviest sets were as follows (in pounds):

Leg Extensions: 12x250
Hip Sled: 12x1,300
Squat: 15x275
Lunges: 20x65

Circuit sets:
Leg Curls - 10x100 10x75 10x50
Calf Raises - 40x205

Leg Extensions - 10x250 with 3 sec. pause @ top.

I wanted to puke! :ill:

Damn. 1300 on the hip sled! Nicely done yet again! 👍

As a sophomore in high school when I weighed in at 142, I hip sled 560 5 times. Whatever formula the coach used said I had an estimated one time max of around 740 pounds, although I'm fairly sure that would have crushed my frail, puny body. :lol:

After carrying out a week long experiment of not taking protein, I have come to the definite conclusion it makes a difference :D

Aching like hell after weights last night and my legs didn't feel right in today's jog after monday's jog. That's about as scientific as it gets.

Leg day, heaviest sets were as follows (in pounds):

Leg Extensions: 12x250
Hip Sled: 12x1,300
Squat: 15x275
Lunges: 20x65

Circuit sets:
Leg Curls - 10x100 10x75 10x50
Calf Raises - 40x205

Leg Extensions - 10x250 with 3 sec. pause @ top.

I wanted to puke! :ill:

Hip Sled? Is this American terminology?

I didn't listen to it, so apologies if there is anything questionable. And ignore the second guys form. He doesn't go down nearly far enough. Of course, with that stomach, it's kind of hard to (no offense to overweight people, myself included).

I was nearly doing my body weight for 6 reps last week but my mates gone back to college :irked: Should hit it and far exceed it this summer if all goes to plan.

Also the jogging is coming along nicely. Knocking out 7 minute miles for 5 miles and my resting heart rate is low 50s.

Bench was good yesterday. Warmed up with

135x10
225x10
315x7
315x5
315x5

Dumb Bell Incline Press

100's x 12
110's x 10
100's x 12

followed up with flys and abs.

Felt pretty good about it yesterday. The last couple chest days didn't workout so well so this was nice to see.

After carrying out a week long experiment of not taking protein, I have come to the definite conclusion it makes a difference :D

Aching like hell after weights last night and my legs didn't feel right in today's jog after monday's jog. That's about as scientific as it gets.

Do you mean protein supplements, or have you gone vegetarien? ;)

I haven't touched a single supplement in all the weeks I've been training, and I don't feel like I need it, although I'm nowhere near the amount of "estimated" protein I need. It would be great if they'd speed up things, but I'm getting tired of people saying to someone who is just starting with WO's that they need to buy suplements, pure BS in my opinion, same with diet. A diet may be important, but it's not the diet that'll give you gains, but the lifting ;)

Oh I'll get my hands on supps, but not untill my gains are really there, and if the gains don't go faster with supps, they're going!

On that, I'm into week 3 of my training program; 3 superset, 6 different exercises in total with only 30 seconds rest time between sets, and there's 5 sets for each exercise (rep count ; 12,10,8,8,max to failure). Especially my shoulder day was a killer! 👍

Gain state: Same weight, little gains overall, probably just due blood and water increase in muscles. But the sixpack is really coming through now, I really really, really recommend some full rotation knee raises for the abs, lovely exercise!

Do you mean protein supplements, or have you gone vegetarien? ;)
Supplements, I could never abandon the meat!

I haven't touched a single supplement in all the weeks I've been training, and I don't feel like I need it, although I'm nowhere near the amount of "estimated" protein I need. It would be great if they'd speed up things, but I'm getting tired of people saying to someone who is just starting with WO's that they need to buy suplements, pure BS in my opinion, same with diet. A diet may be important, but it's not the diet that'll give you gains, but the lifting ;)
At 15 I started lifting light weights, and I'm talking about 20rep sort of work outs, but this the laid the foundations for when I started doing more building and 16 but i found that after a year of that I began to see any gains both strength and visual start to reduce.

However, since starting taking supplements (about 2 years since I started doing weights of any sort) I've noticed an increase in definition in my chest, and arms. My shoulders haven't improved so much because I'm not confident in bar-belling the extra weight unsupervised.

Oh I'll get my hands on supps, but not untill my gains are really there, and if the gains don't go faster with supps, they're going!
If nothing else, you'll feel better the day after a workout and for me that makes them worth it as lifting furniture in work is hard work if you've done shoulders the day before!

I've got that feeling after my chest workout, a pencil feels like a concrete pencil :lol:

I've never been really sore though in my shoulders though, although I always go to failure on those lateral raises... I love shrugs, mili presses and arnolds though! 👍

Whew, last WO of the third week of my training program:

scan001001qz4.jpg

This WO was the hardest ever, after the incline flyes, all exercises were really noticeable through my left shoulder, though it was stronger than my right arm today, while the latter is usually stronger. This one really killed me, especially those benches. It's great to feel so tired in my chest now, but it also makes my realise how light I'm still lifting, and how long the road still is :indiff: (All weights are in lbs, lbs before "/" is per DB, lbs after "/" on both DB's)

Now it's into week 4, back to three sets, and longer rest periods 👍 Although a protein deprivation period is coming up as well, really nervous about that one...:scared:

First time in as long as I can remember I am under 17 stone. BMI of 28.8, it was once around 43.

Nigel is a happy boy today. :)

I got down the gym for the first time in months today. Could just about do 70Kg for 6reps and several sets of similair, which is abit frustrating but I've only been doing dumbells of limited weight in my back room recentley :irked:

My resting heart rate is now a 53 bpm and I'm having to more jogging as being at home in crap weather means more eating :lol:

Haha. I'm a heavy guy. 6ft, 236lbs, 38 inch waist and I wear large shirts. I bike just about every day. Capable of 30mph bursts without even trying on flatland. Average speed is about 25mph. I can lift double my weight with my legs. I may be beefy. But no bone messes with me. I have a reputation of kicking ass without even trying. Weight doesn't need to be fat.

Haha. I'm a heavy guy. 6ft, 236lbs, 38 inch waist and I wear large shirts. I bike just about every day. Capable of 30mph bursts without even trying on flatland. Average speed is about 25mph. I can lift double my weight with my legs. I may be beefy. But no bone messes with me. I have a reputation of kicking ass without even trying. Weight doesn't need to be fat.
But you do have a 38 inch waist which suggest otherwise...

I went to Gold's Gym in Missoula today and bent their squat bar shrugging 675lbs. I was on my 5 rep and the bar started to hit the spot rails so I had to stop. Upon pealing the 14, 45lb plates off the bar, I noticed it wasn't as straight as when I started, it had a nice bow in it. :)

Last edited:
I'd like to think I'm in better shape than most(my age), but still not near where I want to be.

I can still play basketball, keep up with the kids. I can still jump onto a loading dock without taking any steps.

BUT..... some do say that I'm too skinny. I could get little bit bigger, but I'm from Japan, where everybody's skinny by American standard. My midsection does stick out by bit, and I'd like to change that. Also, my legs are gone(as in basketball). I started working on that, just this week. I might get a stationary bike or something, keep them in shape.

This guys also from Japan:
http://www.criticalbench.com/K44-Keisuke-Yoshida.htm

Your natural body build just means you don't have to work as hard at cutting fat, but building muscle and gaining weight will be tougher. My body types the opposite. Your diet and exercises should reflect your body type and goals. :)

For what it's worth, I couldn't hang with the kids in a game of B-ball. :eek:

:cheers:

This guys also from Japan:
http://www.criticalbench.com/K44-Keisuke-Yoshida.htm

Your natural body build just means you don't have to work as hard at cutting fat, but building muscle and gaining weight will be tougher. My body types the opposite. Your diet and exercises should reflect your body type and goals. :)

For what it's worth, I couldn't hang with the kids in a game of B-ball. :eek:

Oh, yeah. I look just like that guy in the photo, too. :sly: :P

My philosophy(personal, of course) on body building is to just keep your body in shape. Keep it fit. No need to get a lot bigger, no need to get a lot smaller, unless your health requires it.

I've no doubt building muscular body on my frame would be an uphill. For sure, I know I don't have the drive or patience for it. :lol:

P.S. Funny. One of my kid brothers, his name is Keisuke, too. I have somewhat slender build, where he is.... not. :D But he's in much better shape than I am. He's actually fought semi-professionally in one of those local UFC type things. I think he went perfect, from amature to pro. Only non-K.O. fight was the only one I ever attended(of course!). But it was still unanimous.

:D I'm sure!

Great philosophy in my opinion.

Very cool, btw about Keisuke. 👍

Just an update of my "health, 'good shape'":

After weeks of taking brisk walks, I decided to go for a run today. I made it maybe 3/4 of a mile at a moderate pace before I had to stop, and slow down to a brisk walk again. I just can't run like I used to... But it gives me a good benchmark on where to go.

Here's a secret:

The Olympics is making me want to work out again. That's a very good thing. If I can start a routine now, hopefully I can stick to it.

I am fatter then I've ever been and I need a plan, and I think I've found it.

I can never motivate myself to keep up a routine, and have never been able to (except for when I was in shape). I am however quite easily motivated to do something when it involves getting something else in return, like we all are. With money being tight I thought If I can't get something, what can I take away.

I'm going to take everything except the bare essentials and put it in my parents room where I can't get to it. Every day I run or bench press I get to choose one thing I can have back. Some larger things will cost two days, or even more, hopefully making this last for a long time. The theory is, by the time I do get everything back I'll be in at least halfway decent shape and will stay motivated to keep going (but if not i'll just start it over again).

Wish me luck.

I am fatter then I've ever been and I need a plan, and I think I've found it.

I can never motivate myself to keep up a routine, and have never been able to (except for when I was in shape). I am however quite easily motivated to do something when it involves getting something else in return, like we all are. With money being tight I thought If I can't get something, what can I take away.

I'm going to take everything except the bare essentials and put it in my parents room where I can't get to it. Every day I run or bench press I get to choose one thing I can have back. Some larger things will cost two days, or even more, hopefully making this last for a long time. The theory is, by the time I do get everything back I'll be in at least halfway decent shape and will stay motivated to keep going (but if not i'll just start it over again).

Wish me luck.

Seeing as you have a Metallica avatar, I suggest you do what I do. Listen to music and go on a bike ride! Riding your bike is a super good way to lose weight and gain muscle. I bike as main source of transportation and it has helped me tons. I'm not saying don't drive, I'm just saying do some biking, do a little bit every day and you will soon being to go farther faster and you will sweat off pounds and gain muscle!

I mention the music because it makes biking so much more enjoyable.

Seeing as you have a Metallica avatar, I suggest you do what I do. Listen to music and go on a bike ride! Riding your bike is a super good way to lose weight and gain muscle. I bike as main source of transportation and it has helped me tons. I'm not saying don't drive, I'm just saying do some biking, do a little bit every day and you will soon being to go farther faster and you will sweat off pounds and gain muscle!

I mention the music because it makes biking so much more enjoyable.

Until you get hit by a car :lol:

I do have a nice high speed bike (or at least I think of it that way) but I used to ride my bike all the time and it never really helped me. It's a good suggestion, but until I lose some more pounds it would be quite uncomfortable and I don't think it would help me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I am now 5'6, I weigh 130 Lbs, not kilos, and I can run a mile! I am so happy, I'm celebrating with a gallon of ice cream! :D

Diablo, find your motivation where you can. For me, I was sick of being fat and feeling like crap all the time. I've been at it hard for 18 months now and can see some extreme gains that I have never experienced before. Keeping what I have now and setting goals (I want to bench press over 400 lbs by this winter) is what motivates me. Set realistic goals, track your progress, and set new goals when you reach them. I can see some pretty basic goals into a couple different areas.

Your goal could be to loose weight. This can be discouraging because muscle weighs more than fat. So if you're working out, you might not see any gains on the scale. If loosing weight is your goal, nutrition and cardio should be your routine.

Your goal could be to lift a certain weight. Track your gains and progress through a daily/weekly journal. Increase weight or more reps can show you gains. Again, nutrition is vital, but you may want to eat more high carb and protein diets which might not help your physique.

Or your goal might be to tone up, loose fat, and look good. Again, with nutrition being 80% of all your gains, the mirror will be your measuring tool. Take a 'before' picture that you can compare to as time goes on. Hang it on your mirror and use it for inspiration to work harder and to also help remind you of where you came from and how far you've come.

In any case, no goals will come quick. Dedicate 6 months to this change in life style. Don't skip a workout or cheat on a meal for at least the first 2 months and you WILL see changes. Lastly, get a dedicated workout partner if you can. If you have someone else to be accountable to, to help push you, you can offer the same in return. Self discipline is tough, it's easier with a buddy giving you crap if you want to bag out of a workout.

Had a good chest workout today. Best weight/reps so far. Here was my workout today (in lbs.)

Flat Bench Press
135x15 warmup
225x12 warmup still
275x10 getting into the weight
315x8 with a spot on the last two reps
365x6 with a spot on the last two reps
315x8 with a spot on the last three reps

Incline Dumbell Press
90'sx10
100'sx10 with a spot on the last two reps
100'x8 with a spot on the last two reps

Followed up with some light dumb bell flys.

After that, I did a 4 station, three circuit abdominal workout, the circuits were as follows:

-Seated ball twists with your legs raised the whole time x 20 reps
-Weighted rope crunches x 20 reps
-Hanging Straight Leg Raises x 20 reps
-Ball Accordions x 20 reps

Did three of those circuits.

It was a good day!

Diablo, find your motivation where you can. For me, I was sick of being fat and feeling like crap all the time.

That's exactly how I feel, but it doesn't really work to motivate me. I'll maybe run once but after that i'll forget, not feel like it, etc. My laziness gets the better of me in the area of fitness.

So far this is what I've come up with for a list:

02 - Ipod
01 - Ipod Charger
02 - 60gb Hard drive
01 - Ring
01 - Cd Player
01 - Cd's
10 - Barracuda (weekends)
05 - G25 (steering wheel)
03 - Xbox
01 - Xbox controllers and wires
01 - Xbox game X3
03 - PS2
01 - PS2 controllers and wires
01 - PS2 game X3
01 - Usb to PS2 adapter
01 - Headphones X2
01 - $20
02 - Cell phone
01 - Cell phone charger
01 - Cell phone battery
01 - Hubcap X3
03 - Pool

Everything that I like or provides entertainment but my computer and my main 500gb external are on the list (at least that's the most I can think of at the moment). Anything that is times something means 1 day for each one of them. I can tell you right now that the ring is the first thing I'm going to go for. It drives me nuts if I forget it, and the same goes for my cell phone.

In the morning everything is going in my parents room, wish me luck

Back