how is the career mode?

• Thread starter Kratos_Q8
  • 36 comments
Kratos_Q8
is the career long enough with diverse events to enjoy and last you long enough? lack of single player content + low races credits payouts is what stopped me from playing GT7 i hear that there are no GT race cars or LMPs races in the single player career is this true? also the freeplay mode does it give you credits after you finish the race?

You're going to get a varied answer here, but to give you context, I've put 12hours into this game so far, done 3MP races, and so far I've only completed 4 race series, so barely scratched the surface. With that said, others who have more time to game than I have exhausted the races.

Between work and kids, with the time I have for gaming, the current content + MP + featured races + rivals is going to keep me occupied just fine

[Edit] to add I think by now in playtime I would have well and truly finished the cafe menus in GT7, if you're at all concerned, why not pickup a GP sub and see how you like it

Last edited:
It’s sort of bare at the moment but there’s also a good bit of potential. The builder’s cup seems to be focused on road cars with lots of upgrades available so you don’t have race cars. The races so far have been about the same length 5-6 laps and each is a series of 5-6 races so the diversity there seems to be lacking. I haven’t gotten terribly far yet but hopefully there’s a lot more to come and thankfully this isn’t PD so I’m optimistic.

The economy is much better than GT7. The payouts aren’t high but the cars aren’t expensive and appear to be priced by relative performance instead of real life value so the Cobra Daytona Coupe and 250 GTO for example are less expensive than hypercars and LMP. You don’t spend credits on upgrades and since you have to race a bunch to upgrade a car by the time you do that you’ll have enough credits to buy just about any car which works nicely.

The annoying thing for me so far is the levelling up system. I picked the Focus '09 to do the first builders cup and it needs hours of leaving it to drive itself around a track in rivals to level it up so I can give it some sensible upgrades. You might think you only need e.g. level 20 to access the upgrades you want, but you won't have enough car points to use what you have access to, so you need to level it up even more. It's going to get pretty tedious pretty fast having to do this before starting each set of races.

OTOH credits payout relative to car prices seems okay. I don't know how many hours of playing it will take to obtain all the cars, but I'm sure it will be massively lower than GT7, and also you don't have the time-gating nonsense of GT7.

I am quite enjoying the slow burn of the career campaign. To me it lets you learn a car and it's quirks. Each race you get to push it that bit harder with each upgrade..

It feels more impactful to me as you have to make choices on what to fit rather than just slapping on the best meta bits right from the start and calling it done.

You can get most important upgrades by car level 20-25 ish range (a few have some in the 30's) and stuff like engine swaps, aspiration changes usually in the 40-50 range.

From my racing you can hit that 20-25 range from one series. So essentially 5 races and you are in decent shape. I haven't seen the need for any of the stuff gated at higher level range. My view is that is stuff you look towards long term to switch things up rather than needing to rush for immediately.

I like the format of the career. But as I'm equally shocked to find as many others here, I am very surprised the only way to get endurance racing right now is to make it yourself in freeplay. Genuinely hope they will address that sooner than later and let us adjust race length. Not only would it make plenty of sense for the progression system (longer racing = more car XP and more levels after all) but it seems like it would fix an obvious under-utilization of FM's own systems.

There's a really good game in there. Physics are great, especially with assists off. Have yet to try it on wheel but I hear that if you configure the wheel settings correctly it drives really nicely. I don't know how much stock I want to put on those who said "feels like Assetto Corsa Competizione with the right settings" but it's promising.

It's just a shame a released game of this kind is only promising, but oh well. It's the modern reality of live service models, I guess. Release now, iterate later.

is the career long enough with diverse events to enjoy and last you long enough? lack of single player content + low races credits payouts is what stopped me from playing GT7 i hear that there are no GT race cars or LMPs races in the single player career is this true? also the freeplay mode does it give you credits after you finish the race?
I'm enjoying it so far. Each set of events requires a different sort of car so there is variety. The races are short but Free Play lets you set the laps and you still level up your car as well. It is really well planned out and there's no grinding involved unless that's what you want to do.

From my racing you can hit that 20-25 range from one series. So essentially 5 races and you are in decent shape.
Wouldn't it be more enjoyable, though, to be in decent shape BEFORE you do the series, so you can do the series with the car in an enjoyable state?

I got the Focus up to level 50 before doing the 2nd builders cup, and it meant it was great fun doing that series, but I'd spent hours getting the car ready beforehand, and then using it for the series I was gaining completely worthless car xp.

And now I've just spent ages getting the Evora into a reasonable state for the 3rd builders cup. There are 9 eligible cars so if you want to give them all a try beforehand, with access to upgrades, you're looking at 25-30 hours just to unlock the ability to try them properly for one series.

I am surprised that there are no actual race car events in the single player campaign, for a game centred around Motorsport.

Same issue as Gran Turismo 7 - buy an expensive car, and have nowhere to use it other than "Free Play". Its good that there are R Class races on Multiplayer, although not sure for how long?

I like the format of the career. But as I'm equally shocked to find as many others here, I am very surprised the only way to get endurance racing right now is to make it yourself in freeplay. Genuinely hope they will address that sooner than later and let us adjust race length. Not only would it make plenty of sense for the progression system (longer racing = more car XP and more levels after all) but it seems like it would fix an obvious under-utilization of FM's own systems.

There's a really good game in there. Physics are great, especially with assists off. Have yet to try it on wheel but I hear that if you configure the wheel settings correctly it drives really nicely. I don't know how much stock I want to put on those who said "feels like Assetto Corsa Competizione with the right settings" but it's promising.

It's just a shame a released game of this kind is only promising, but oh well. It's the modern reality of live service models, I guess. Release now, iterate later.
I would like to see the setting of the people who say it drives like ACC... because for me it is the worst driving experience of all.... I felt even FM7 as better.
After a long time of trying, it is now playable but still far from perfect.

Maybe it is because of the Xbox Series X. With a Fanatec DD1.
Most of the settings I saw played on PC. Also, on the PC the problem seems to be solvable that in the cockpit view the steering wheel does not match the movement at the steering wheel base. I can't get that to work on the XBox either 😤

Wouldn't it be more enjoyable, though, to be in decent shape BEFORE you do the series, so you can do the series with the car in an enjoyable state?

I got the Focus up to level 50 before doing the 2nd builders cup, and it meant it was great fun doing that series, but I'd spent hours getting the car ready beforehand, and then using it for the series I was gaining completely worthless car xp.

And now I've just spent ages getting the Evora into a reasonable state for the 3rd builders cup. There are 9 eligible cars so if you want to give them all a try beforehand, with access to upgrades, you're looking at 25-30 hours just to unlock the ability to try them properly for one series.

That's the thing though at no point in the career did I need an engine swap or any of the stuff gated at the the higher car levels

Most of the stuff you unlock by level 20-25 gets you access to all the tuning options and from that point you are good to go.

The other thing is I ain't trying to finish it all in a week. This game is something I will play long term so I am no issues with the time investment involved.

You do you based on your circumstances / preferences.

The Career Mode is pretty boring, there are only 30 events. 5 Categories with 5 events in it each + 5 Random Events.
Each of them are the same -> you are forced to a car that you have to level up.

Leveling up a car gets anoying after your second or third lvl50 car.

Multiplayer is Senseless because there is no MP. Not even a open trackday.
There are only few fixed MP races.
Private Lobby is useless because you cant even drive alone while waiting for your friends(if you have some).

Last edited:
Most of the stuff you unlock by level 20-25 gets you access to all the tuning options and from that point you are good to go.
Even ignoring swaps, I've found it needs around level 35 to properly upgrade a car. E.g. you get weight reduction at level 20 but it uses a lot more car points than are added at that level, so it takes quite a few more levels to have enough car points to really use it along with the other upgrades you need.

However, I'm not sure it actually matters where we finish in these builders cup series? I have one more race to do in a series where I went in with a level 1 car, max AI difficulty, starting at the back every race, currently 7th in the series after 5 races, having had zero chance in the early races. If it doesn't matter where we finish, then it's not a problem to do that. It still all seems like a pointless restriction though. Even if you're happy with the time investment, wouldn't you rather spend more of your time driving cars that are in a competitive state so you can do the best possible times in rivals, rather than having to spend hours doing laps are never going to mean anything?

wouldn't you rather spend more of your time driving cars that are in a competitive state so you can do the best possible times in rivals, rather than having to spend hours doing laps are never going to mean anything?
I was initially enjoying that aspect with my Megane. I was running the car ragged in Rivals, slowly pushing to the limit of what was capable, and every 5 ranks I would go "Quick Upgrade", rinse and repeat until I got to Level 25, and I managed to get 12th fastest in the world on a track - only to see someone with the same car as me had managed to do it 4 seconds faster 😄

I then set my car off on the Oval track, fully assisted in Rivals, and got the computer to rank it up to Level 50 while I was preparing dinner, caught up on the Football, etc.

Built a car with all my car points, knocked off 2 seconds and now 5th in the World.

I am not sure how many more times I am willing to go through that mind :banghead:

I've completed builders cup so it is off to free play for me. A good four and a bit days. Bigger than GT7, that only takes two days to complete.

I'm hoping for an update that creates a Racers Cup.

Last edited:
I've completed builders cup so it is off to free play for me. A good four and a bit days. Bigger than GT7, that only takes two days to complete.

I'm hoping for an update that creates a Racers Cup.
GT7 has 130+ races now, FM23 has 90. So GT7 is currently bigger than FM23. Also some of the GT7 races are 20 minutes+ (e.g. all of the GR2 races)
(But there's only 4 races in GT7 worth doing as we all know).
Both games are waaaay too short, but we don't know yet how much FM23 will expand. It would help if we knew what will happen to the Featured Tour events after each month (I think they might be added to the Builder's Cup but without prize cars, but no-one seems to know).

GT7 has 130+ races now, FM23 has 90. So GT7 is currently bigger than FM23. Also some of the GT7 races are 20 minutes+ (e.g. all of the GR2 races)
(But there's only 4 races in GT7 worth doing as we all know).
Both games are waaaay too short, but we don't know yet how much FM23 will expand. It would help if we knew what will happen to the Featured Tour events after each month (I think they might be added to the Builder's Cup but without prize cars, but no-one seems to know).
I was counting menu mode to be the one player campaign, comparing it to builders cup.

Last edited:
I am loving it so far. The physics are top notch and the cars all feel different and authentic to their real life counter parts.

However, there is soooo much features missing from this game that was in FM7, it gets super annoying after awhile. If it wasnt for the lovely physics and the fun racing, this game would be a huge flop.

Last edited:
The grind/collecting part of the game isn’t too bad either. I just did consecutive 7 lap free play quick races set to random track and layout and leveled a Nissan R390 GT1 to 50. Now I get a 5% Nissan discount and I earned enough credits to buy just about any car.

Someone should make “what did you do in FM23 today” thread but I don’t want to be bombarded by more notification emails than I already am…

T10 really dropped the ball with the career mode removing the option from FM7 to increase laps imo. But aside from some pretty thumbnails and introduction videos, with a bit of imagination, you could probably come up with better events in free play anyway.

I've put in more than 10 hours in the game and have only finished five Builders cup series (including the Intro and first Weekly series) plus done a couple Rivals events. Add to the fact that we're going to be getting new events every week and I've got plenty in career mode to occupy me. The only way I can see someone complaining about "Lack of Content" is if they take the "Rush to Endgame" mentality of some MMO players and just speedrun and grind it for 12+ hours a day.

Last edited:
I find the "career" very successful. It motivates me one. BuilderCup again with another car to drive.
The rivals are fun and can eat up endless time. online also works quite well.
There are some small things missing at the UX that would make life easier or give more quality. But these are just wishes of a user… :)

Last edited:
It has a good structure but it’s a bit light on content. The whole car points system is a pretty big negative though and the ai aren’t very aware of you or each other.

I have 10 hours played according to Steam, the highest level car I have so far is 33.

Back