How much can you bench press?

• Thread starter Concept
  • 612 comments
That's terrible. I hate injuries like that. I had nagging knee pain for a long time but thankfully it went away sometime during my time away from training. If my current life pattern keeps on the current path, I'll be married to a physical therapist in 5 fives, so hopefully I'll be able to avoid injuries like that and have an expert at home to fix any that show up. :lol:

Pako
I can bench 590lbs on the smith with spotters and bands, but only if I wear my bench shirt. :D

Speaking of lifting aids, my elbows have been killing me on Tricep extensions. The pain has unfortunately effected my bench as well. My spotter took me to 405 flat free weight bench for a couple reps last week, but it was crushing and the pain in my elbows was almost unbearable. This is not a new injury, in fact, it's partly why I took all of 2011 off from working out, to give my structure some time to rest and heal, just to see if things would be any better. Well, they are not.

Not sure what my next step is, but bench has always been one of my favorite lifts.

How much do you deadlift? To get rid of elbow pain improving grip strength is what you are supposed to do. I would say get the actual grip training things that you squeeze. Get the pro ones obviously not the cheap Walmart ones since I'm assuming those will be too easy. Also try double overhand all lifts and thumbless grip for all back stuff. It puts more empathize on grip while actually making it better to contract your back muscles if your grip is strong.

How much do you deadlift? To get rid of elbow pain improving grip strength is what you are supposed to do. I would say get the actual grip training things that you squeeze. Get the pro ones obviously not the cheap Walmart ones since I'm assuming those will be too easy. Also try double overhand all lifts and thumbless grip for all back stuff. It puts more empathize on grip while actually making it better to contract your back muscles if your grip is strong.

I will dead lift 5 plates a side (495lbs total) on a good day, but they are only partial deads. Good tip on the grip strength. I've never heard of increasing grip strength to help with elbow pain. For all back related exercises, the thumb is always back. Actually, the only grip my thumb isn't back is on curls.

To describe the pain, it feels like someone is poking my funny bone nerve with a needle in each arm. The only thing that offers minimum relief are the ace bandages I recently picked up. The pain relief is minimal and only when I do low weight, high rep tricep extensions. The pain is best described and self diagnosed as tendinosis.

Pako
I will dead lift 5 plates a side (495lbs total) on a good day, but they are only partial deads. Good tip on the grip strength. I've never heard of increasing grip strength to help with elbow pain. For all back related exercises, the thumb is always back. Actually, the only grip my thumb isn't back is on curls.

To describe the pain, it feels like someone is poking my funny bone nerve with a needle in each arm. The only thing that offers minimum relief are the ace bandages I recently picked up. The pain relief is minimal and only when I do low weight, high rep tricep extensions. The pain is best described and self diagnosed as tendinosis.

Ya I had that a couple times. It's just a muscle imbalance. Tricep connects to elbow part is too strong while the opposite side is not. Your deads are pretty much same weight range as what you bench when it should be much easier to deadlift much more. Try the grip stuff and stay away from tricep extensions. Instead do decline skull crushers. Also never fully lockout on any of them. This helped me before the pain got bad and is what a sports doctor told my friend and he also got better.

Well, my bench is no where close to my deadlift numbers. 405x2 with a spotter on bench vs. 495 partial deads x10 no spot? Not hardly comparable. I will look into your suggestions, however. I have read many "fixes" and am trying to find what works. All I know is that it is really discouraging and really painful.

Pako
Well, my bench is no where close to my deadlift numbers. 405x2 with a spotter on bench vs. 495 partial deads x10 no spot? Not hardly comparable. I will look into your suggestions, however. I have read many "fixes" and am trying to find what works. All I know is that it is really discouraging and really painful.

Lol well you said you benched 590lb so I assumed you were a power lifter or something that just focused on bench more.

Lol well you said you benched 590lb so I assumed you were a power lifter or something that just focused on bench more.

Sorry. Normally I will use the [Internet Sarcasm] tag when I am just joking. :)

I do appreciate your advise though. 👍

Benched 93kg (about 205lbs) last month. Really ugly lift though but I can do 90kg with relatively good technique.

Wow, you guys seem to be pretty well trained 👍

I've just started working out at the gym about half a year ago, so I'm obviously not anywhere near those numbers (yet). I'm only managing about 150 lbs for about six to eight repitions with a body weigth of ~190lbs. Then again, my technique sucks incredibly, as I've only bench pressed a couple of times so far...

I've been doing weight training on and off for the last 2 months (I swim most of the time) and right now I can do 2 reps with 180lbs. and 4 reps with 170lbs. My weight hovers around 200 pounds and When I get to do about 6 reps with that I will stop since too much muscle can affect my swimming

I don't do any weight training only what come's with the fitness in my rugby and karate training and I can do 50KG (110lbs). I am about 80KG and I am 15.

Back