How much can you bench press?

• Thread starter Concept
  • 612 comments
That was a pretty good article. I never put 2 and 2 together on the dumbells, so I've learned something. It took me a long time just to get to 155, you're doing fine for just starting!

Thanks man.... It's been slow going getting back into after the bicep repair. Hope to be back where I was in a few months...., well, my goal is 6 months to recover.

:cheers:
Glad to see that muscles healing up well. The thread you started on what had to be done made my arm hurt just to read it. That was some gnarly stuff :nervous:
I'll say it yet again. Your daughter's first (And likely only) boyfriend is doomed.
:lol:

If he makes daughters as well as he lifts, he could be in for a pretty fun life when she hits her teens... Scare them teens! I wouldn't mess with someone's daughter who could kill me with one arm

:lol: You guys are funny. Thanks for remarks. This past Monday was my first day back in the gym where I didn't really notice any substantial pain. Incline bench went good, dumb bells went good (went up to 100's for an 8 rep set) and really didn't notice any tendon fatigue until I went to cable flys, and even then, I was a lot better than 4 weeks ago when I first got back to the gym. I'm hoping I continue to progress and heal up. The hardest thing is getting the bicep to learn how to engage again. There seems to be part of the bicep head that's still not hooking up properly but it's getting better....

:cheers:

Haven't posted here in forever!
Reached a PB on flat bench this week. 120kg, which is about 260 lbs I think? I'm happy with that seeing I weigh about 85 kg (187lbs?). Actually I'm stoked. 120 has been a target for a long time now.

My max used to be 215ibs but it really does'nt matter any more because i have'nt worked out in 6 months. But im going back at the challenge with it in february so it's going to be tough for me wish me luck guys.

I did a brutal, fast chest workout yesteday. I'm now training side by side with a BB'er who's aiming for his pro card. Which means the workouts are a tad more intense than anything I've done before.

Last night, was simple fast and easy. Flat Bench, 10 sets of 10 reps of 135lbs. It wasn't until I hit the 6th set that I started failing on the 10 reps. At which point, I'd let the bar rest on my chest for a few seconds, then push it up. I'd get my rest in while he was doing his set. I managed all 100 reps, finally, but the last 30 were brutal.

I'm feeling it this morning.

This past Monday was the first day back doing bench that it almost felt normal. Managed a 6 rep set at 315. 4 on my own with a couple forced reps with my spotter. Dumbbell Press and Flys are getting better also. I have a lot better left arm control then before. There is still pain on any major supernate (sp?) type of lifts as I seems my wrist is taking the longest to gain it's strength back. Hope to get up to 315 for a 10 rep set. Don't know if I will train for really heavy weight again, as joints and such are just starting to heal up, but a 10 rep set at 315 would be cool to achieve.

Until the next update....

Edit: My bad guys, I accidentally put 375 instead of 275 and just realized it. I wish I could bench 375.

Last edited:
When i was 18 weighed around 13stone (180lbs ish, 7 years ago) i used to go to the gym a lot and could bench about 90kg (not sets though!), but i could never do that now, id imagine around the region of 60kg would do me, perhaps a little more.

Most of the guys I went to the gym with back then were on steroids, most of them could lift a lot more and were a lot bigger, I never had any interest in that.

To the above guy, you realise that 375lbs is 170kg, no 15 year old is capable of that. Unless of course you are pumping yourself full of steroids, are a genetic freak, eat and sleep constantly whilst winning weight lifting competitions worldwide.

Last edited:
A single time? I don't know, bench pressing weights a single time is a waste of energy with no training effect, I bench press dumbbells (I don't have a training partner) 8 reps 3 stints. And thats exactly 233 lbs.

And I'm 22, 6'2'' 195 lbs.

To the above guy, you realise that 375lbs is 170kg, no 15 year old is capable of that. Unless of course you are pumping yourself full of steroids, are a genetic freak, eat and sleep constantly whilst winning weight lifting competitions worldwide.

I agree with you. I would guess some of these "bench press" numbers are being done on a smith machine, which as most people know does not count.

Age - 29
Height - 165 cm (~5'4")
Weight - 66,5 - 67,5 kg (~147 lbs)
Bench - 127,5 kg (~281 lbs)

A little something I did today at the gym. :)

Last edited:
Keep your back straight on that row! :P Hahaha - good work! You're one mighty dude!

attachment.php

Back