How much slower are you from the top dogs?

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 228 comments
It depends on what track, but i've been sitting on the Top 10 some times.

Here's my Kudosprime link, I'm now usually over 60k and the maximum I've ever reached is 68128.

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1991335

Hey, I know you, I think we are PSN freinds. Your one of those that I can never beat on my freind list. You are an alien, isn't it time to go back home?:cheers::D:D

Well for me because of my sometime frank tone here I prefer not to post it out online. It seems people get passionate about games, or more so than me at times comments are taken personally.
To describe me, I don’t know all the tracks yet, I’m horrible at learning them-takes me so much longer than everyone I know. I CAN hit decent times, but I am not very fast really, my only strength is AFTER I finally start to learn a track I can be consistent on it.
I like having fast guys on the friends list to compare times, but it requires more time for me to hit those than most I am sure.
My 14 in region was crazy working on that. I’ll never put that time in again.
The only reason I work hard to stay the rank I am is I would rather be midpack with better players than racing against people who run too loose for my tastes.
I really enjoy driving race stuff both irl and in game. I play this game for the love of it. I’ll never be anything special, but at the same time I won’t suffer trolls online if you know what I mean.
I do my best to race fair at all times, and often I am getting screwed over in sport mode, but I enjoy the challenge.
That’s me, don’t know what else to say?

One of the things that drives me crazy about racing online is when you get these guys who I assume are playing on a DS4 drifting thru the corners, even though you are faster than they are mid corner you cant pass in the corner because drifting makes their car too wide and being a video game they still get a pretty good run off the corner. Even though it's a video game I dont like bouncing off of cars when trying to pass, if you race the same way I do you start to see a fair amount of that because you will spend a lot of time following and waiting for your opportunity to pass. I wish that part of the game was a little more realistic, if drifting really was faster you would see race drivers utilizing that skill, especially in qualifying, but I have yet to see a car corner at the same pace as a proper racing line and technique in real life. I suppose that is part of the reason PD builds some "magic" into the DS4 to help them be competitive with wheel users, on the other hand it is a racing game which makes using a wheel proper and PD makes everyone use a wheel for the Sony competition's, go figure.

Last edited:
@fastone371,
I don’t look to pass in corners unless the fella ahead ran wide. I’ve found best success with getting a run on a straight myself.
I love seeing cars ahead of me going side by side in corners etc, because most times that will be a compromised exit.
My biggest pet peeve actually in game is people thinking they can create a chance to overtake when it’s obviously a bad idea and will lead to contact and problems.
You see a lot of that in dr b imo. D and c were far more conservative. A is better, people have learned better when things are a bad idea, but they are far better at gaming the system, subtle bump punts etc.
At what I would call higher a or a stacked room with a plus on top I often have the most fun in those, starting in the 8-14 spots especially longer races, because I enjoy the challenge of a ‘real’ race whereby really it’s decided and overtakes happen more from capitalizing on people’s mistakes. I enjoy most a nice tense race with cars ahead and behind and all of us waiting and looking for an opportunity.
Generally those are pretty cool rooms to be in.
I notice a lot of gamers I race who are in the 1500-2000 race total. One thing about sr, if you race dailies for hours at a time, then sr rating means little because you can farm.
For myself, I think it’s meaningful because it’s rare for me to do more than a race or two in a sitting.
This week, I took a couple penalties, but prior to that I hadn’t taken a penalty in months.

I’ve raced some of the top guys and tbh 75 percent that I have run into are dirty. It’s just they know the system so well from experience they have a very good idea how much contact they can use to get by with only sr down and no pen.
I saw one get so frustrated at Suzuka a few months back in gr3 that he caused about a nine or ten car pileup lap two at the chicane. Some have racepace as well as qual time, but I’ve been in rooms with a few whose pace frankly sucks and they need to be following in draft and if they lose it they are screwed.

Last edited:
This time around I got within 2%, but my best result was an 8th place.
On BB Raceway. With a Beetle. Still impressive but not as much as a 2 minute lap.
I can't talk about averages yet since I haven't raced in Sport Mode for a year.

It depends on what track, but i've been sitting on the Top 10 some times.

Here's my Kudosprime link, I'm now usually over 60k and the maximum I've ever reached is 68128.

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/stats.php?profile=1991335
Huh, never knew Canadians can humblebrag too...

PS: I might've been too harsh on myself on my earlier post. I was talking to a friend and he said that, since I've completed all missions and tests, I cannot be so so far off the top guys on certain stuff.

Your post here is illegal ... since you ARE a top dog :eek::lol: !

I may be a top dog to you, but some people are top dogs to me :D

:eek: oh my holy
That K' score should be much higher! I don't think 80 represents you at all :lol:

One of my friend explained me how that K score works recently. I often do 1 or 2 qualification laps on some races, so that may drop my K score a little bit.

Hey, I know you, I think we are PSN freinds. Your one of those that I can never beat on my freind list. You are an alien, isn't it time to go back home?:cheers::D:D

Nice! What's your PSN?

Huh, never knew Canadians can humblebrag too...

English isn't my first language, what humblebrag is supposed to mean?:confused:

Last edited:
I may be a top dog to you, but some people are top dogs to me :D ...

dogs.jpg

Did I hit the nail ?

:D

Based on my region and stats, it ranges from as little as 2.8% to around 10%. In general it's the healthy 5% margin...

Could've gotten better if I used a wheel instead.

Qualifying, I'm 1% (on a good day) to 3% off pace. This can be more on race pace though, as I certainly run slower especially if tyre wear etc involved.

I've owned the game for 18 months, and according to KP I've driven for 276 hours, so 4 hrs per week. This seems about right. During this time I've retrained myself away from x=accelerate, sq=brake and D-pad for turning, I'm now using l2/r2 and analogue stick to steer which made me much quicker.

I like to think that if I invested a half decent amount of time in the game, and also made the shift to a wheel/pedal set-up I'd make similar gains again and might be able to sneak inside that magic 1% buffer. Thing is, I can't invest more time and won't get a proper sim set-up, so all we really know is my stats are my stats - I am where I am.

Regarding SR, only running maybe 1 or 2 races in a session is punishing. I do try to run clean and always leave space, but I won't give up a position for fear of contact. Say I do have contact, and maybe even a penalty, I might lose 15 SR. This can take several days to repair (at +3 to +5 SR for a clean race) so I'm often below the max 99SR. All I'm saying is that I don't feel this graph reflects me :indiff:

Sorry @ROCKET JOE But Illum did draw attention to it himself! Couldn't resist!:scared:

All I'm saying is that I don't feel this graph reflects me

Looking at it, you trend upwards with SR and with your DR steadily increasing, you're not stuck behind slower drivers as much. You can definitely see the elbows out races in there but as you're mainly doing the sprint races, it shows you're trying to stay clean with successive +SR afterwards. Not as easy to do in short races.

Day 31 to your last day makes it look like you've turned a corner (pardon the pun) though. Not as stubborn as you used to be or are you on a good run of races?:D

Day 31 to your last day makes it look like you've turned a corner (pardon the pun) though. Not as stubborn as you used to be or are you on a good run of races?:D
Haha, yes, good pun!

Probably a combination of things contributed to the improvement. Change in the control method, different mentality (partly becoming aware of stats on KP), more time spent qualifying now, and no Blue Moon Bay Speedway for ages!!! (Races on that track are awesome and loads of my early online races were there, but it sure isn't good for SR :lol:)

I am trying to narrow the gap to the top 10 times when practising for the few FIA races I enter. Was around 4 seconds away, but is slowing getting to be 3 seconds from the top 10. Occasionally I get within 3 seconds. I usually only get to do a couple of 30 min sessions.

On a good day, 2 or 3 seconds off the top 10, usually more like 5 seconds.

But I very rarely race online, I just run qualis, and havent done that in forever now.

When I look at the top 100 I am about 5 seconds slower than #100. But I race to best of my ability and gets to race other people at my level. Last race I was in I finished third, but we 3 in the front swapped places several times on the last lap and it wasn't decided before the chikane. That's much more fun in my view than focusing on qualify.

I’ve been trying to improve my Kudos Prime score for the last year! When I first got GTS and my wheel, I would be a bit scattergun with my approach. What I do now is aim to get within 3% of the top time in EMEA region each “daily” that I do. I focus on the combination until I’m below 3%, then move on to the next one. Then I concentrate on the combination I like best to get the time down.

My target is to get to a Kscore of 70 (it was low 50s this time last year), then I’ll focus on improving my race craft. I picked hot lapping over racing as the penalty system got on my nerves too frequently. I figured that if I got faster and more consistent I’d avoid penalties, but it’s clear from reading everyone’s race experience on here that the penalty curse can hit anyone at any level.

My region gap says I'm 5.5% (avg) off the pace. I always try to get within ~4s of the leading times, but that can vary from circuit to circuit (last week at Nurb24 I was a staggering 30s off the pace). I feel like I've hit a bit of a brick wall with the DS4. While some people seem to break into A and A+ on the DS4 with relative ease, I feel like I wont be able to make any improvement unless I upgrade to a wheel + pedal setup.

Last edited:
Last weeks Suzuka event was my best result with a race car with something under 2%. I was quite pleased with myself getting to only 2 seconds of the lap that @kie25 set in the Gr4 458, it took me all week and a skipfull of laps compared to his probable two laps though.

I’ve been trying to improve my Kudos Prime score for the last year! When I first got GTS and my wheel, I would be a bit scattergun with my approach. What I do now is aim to get within 3% of the top time in EMEA region each “daily” that I do. I focus on the combination until I’m below 3%, then move on to the next one. Then I concentrate on the combination I like best to get the time down.

My target is to get to a Kscore of 70 (it was low 50s this time last year), then I’ll focus on improving my race craft. I picked hot lapping over racing as the penalty system got on my nerves too frequently. I figured that if I got faster and more consistent I’d avoid penalties, but it’s clear from reading everyone’s race experience on here that the penalty curse can hit anyone at any level.
I've been "gaming" my K' speed score for a bit now, got it up to 75.1, with my last 3 all 1.7-1.8% off the top EMEA time. One trick you can use is to have another account, and do the qualifying performances with that, and only attempt them with your main account once you know you can achieve the % you want with that track and car combination. I use to set my threshold at 3% for doing them on my main account, but I think that will have to come down to 2% now. I have a 5% performance from a couple of months back that will get eliminated after a few more, so that will help my score. I see N100 Tsukuba and think "Yes! That's gonna help my K' speed score :-)".

It probably won't help your racing experience, though, as you'll just end up racing with other people who are just as fast as your new speed. Hot lapping will always be a lot less stressful than racing, I still find it a bit of a lottery, I know in some races I've had a nice clean race but have been able to see carnage behind in my mirror and know I was very lucky to not be in that slightly different place on the track where the race would have been a nightmare instead.

I've been "gaming" my K' speed score for a bit now, got it up to 75.1, with my last 3 all 1.7-1.8% off the top EMEA time. One trick you can use is to have another account, and do the qualifying performances with that, and only attempt them with your main account once you know you can achieve the % you want with that track and car combination. I use to set my threshold at 3% for doing them on my main account, but I think that will have to come down to 2% now. I have a 5% performance from a couple of months back that will get eliminated after a few more, so that will help my score. I see N100 Tsukuba and think "Yes! That's gonna help my K' speed score :-)".

It probably won't help your racing experience, though, as you'll just end up racing with other people who are just as fast as your new speed. Hot lapping will always be a lot less stressful than racing, I still find it a bit of a lottery, I know in some races I've had a nice clean race but have been able to see carnage behind in my mirror and know I was very lucky to not be in that slightly different place on the track where the race would have been a nightmare instead.

I’ve noticed I’m closer to the fastest times in less powerful cars, so I also clocked the N100 at Tsukuba this week! I think better players having more throttle control make that count with more powerful cars, which will probably become apparent at Le Mans this week. Le Mans below 3% on the region would be a very good result for me.

I have a second account, but use that for the occasional race to see if it’s going to be bumper cars or not or to test grid starts as I’ve thrown away poles on my main account due to not pulling away from the grid well.

I can see that having a 2% target for the region would be better target for me soon. That would mean I’d have to do some real learning to improve.

I have a second account, but use that for the occasional race to see if it’s going to be bumper cars or not or to test grid starts as I’ve thrown away poles on my main account due to not pulling away from the grid well.

Be sure to have TC on at grid, then you can always turn it off after the start

Back