How much slower are you from the top dogs?

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 228 comments
Usually about 2% off the top in Asia/Pacific. Best is a 3rd on le mans in gr1 a year or so ago. I only tend to set a time on Sunday for a couple of races, prefer to race from the back with no qualy time

Looking at kudosprime on average 5 tenths off the world record time on the full length tracks generally in a range between 2-7 tenths depending on the car/track combo. Its normally enough for the top ten but damn some good times get put down for the top 3 positions. I've finished P1 in my region once which i will take :cheers:

I'd like to practice more and be closer, maybe 2-3 tenth on average but what can you do :lol: maybe in the future

Last edited:
Some of the top guys are doing hundreds of KM's on some TT's to get the best times and it kinda shows what is required to be a top level player. (Unless you're an alien like Lightning who can do world records in 5 minutes.)

I think another way to measure this is to look at how far off you finish the top guys in races. So if you're 20 seconds off after a 20 minute race, you're losing a second for every minute of the race that passes. Sometimes I think this is the better way to look at things as races are really what matters as you have to deliver there and then. In time trials, someone might have done 1000 laps to get a perfect lap.

100% a lot of the top 500 times are lightning in a bottle, meaning they won’t be doing even close to those times in the race. Or they will try and crash.

If you can consistently lap within 2sec of the top times, you will do very well in actual races. Consistency is critical.

And some guys are gifted at TT hot laps, and can do them easily. But they have poor race craft or in the moment decisions. There are way more variables in a race then doing hot laps and you have to be able to adapt on the fly. Add tire wear into the mix and even more struggle. Just look at Spa this week. Lot of guys with 35-37 times that can’t even come close to that in the race or they can but then totally screw the next lap and crash.

This is clearer with longer races as strategy also comes into play. That’s why I prefer Race C, though I wish they were closer to 40min for greater strategy options. Strategy can completely negate a drivers raw pace. Buttttt if they are alien fast and smart...... we’re screwed lol. They can easily run longer on tires while using less fuel and still putting in faster times lol.

Last edited:
8229A0FC-44EB-4E28-AB9C-33F5838C6E92.jpeg
Similarly, a lot of fast people don't invest time in practice/qualifying, and then are faster and more consistent during the races.
Here’s a good example of my typical race. I only ever do about 10 laps maximum of qualifying and this week the best was 2:37.8 usually starting 10th or higher. Then I went and got the fastest lap on lap 5 or 6? Needless to say I cannot get anywhere near that if I try.
Good points this week from 20k to 25k

I think the introduction of ghost downloads from the top 10 has made it easier for people to set quicker quali times. At least I've found that. Before it was a case of setting a reasonable time, doing a few races to see where you might be able to go faster, then setting a faster quali time - repeat. Now its possible to download a ghost, do a few quali laps and be up there or thereabouts. I have no problem with this at all - its possible to get to A+ without even bothering to qualify for any races. Not that I'm claiming to be anywhere near the fastest players - still a few tenths to a few seconds off depending on combo. And of course its easier to set quicker times if you have more play time under your belt.

If I’m to maintain A+ I need to be qualifying well. Otherwise I’m just in a procession to the end. Maybe gain a few places, but not enough to not drop DR.

So friending consistently fast people was absolutely necessary in order to know where my qual time sits.

I’ll usually try and get within a second of the top ten times before looking to race. If I get there quickly I’ll maybe spend a little more time.

My top qualy times are

And quite a few in low 100, and mid to high 100 etc etc.

In a fair mix of cars. But still a fair bit off the top dogs that are regulars in the top 10.
One problem in the past keeping me from being faster was racing regularly in lobbies using RS and RSS tyres with tuning on. Kept trying to say to my friends at the time that we would be better using daily race settings as it would help us progress in rankings, but alas they didn't listen.

I really should buy a wheel for GT7 and put in some more effort but I'm 38 now and losing my edge I feel. Playing GT less and less as I start to get more fed up with PD's inability to make a complete game.

I’m very interested to see how VR shakes things up with PS5 and the next GT.

For me staring at a static TV screen, you lose a lot of information regarding the car/track. I have more hesitation/caution due to this and it slows me down. For others this might not be a issue and they just throw it into the turn off memory alone.

I did a test of VR vs regular at Spa with the SF19. With VR I could look further down the track sighting my line like I would in real life. I could see my apex and hit it consistently with ease. Everything was “natural”, and that extra information allowed me to easily knock 5sec off my time. First attempt 4sec faster with ease, only did a handful of laps in VR so I know there’s even more time.

With VR I would easily be setting top 5 times. Question is how the aliens will adapt to VR. Def excited for the next gen of online racing.

I’m very interested to see how VR shakes things up with PS5 and the next GT.

For me staring at a static TV screen, you lose a lot of information regarding the car/track. I have more hesitation/caution due to this and it slows me down. For others this might not be a issue and they just throw it into the turn off memory alone.

I did a test of VR vs regular at Spa with the SF19. With VR I could look further down the track sighting my line like I would in real life. I could see my apex and hit it consistently with ease. Everything was “natural”, and that extra information allowed me to easily knock 5sec off my time. First attempt 4sec faster with ease, only did a handful of laps in VR so I know there’s even more time.

With VR I would easily be setting top 5 times. Question is how the aliens will adapt to VR. Def excited for the next gen of online racing.
I suspect I would get a severe case of motion sickness....

Where is the fun trying to get the best time, moving up the pack out smarting the driver’s in front you and the guy who got the pole is now sweating every turn , now that’s fun.

Where is the fun trying to get the best time, moving up the pack out smarting the driver’s in front you and the guy who got the pole is now sweating every turn , now that’s fun.

Right up until some moron behind you decides not to brake for a turn and punts you into the kitty litter. Oh and you get the penalty for your aggression at entering the kitty litter.

Right up until some moron behind you decides not to brake for a turn and punts you into the kitty litter. Oh and you get the penalty for your aggression at entering the kitty litter.

The way I see it going down the straightaway taking the draft Then getting side by side coming to the turn each of you want to make the turn without a penalty’s that’s fun. Getting behind the car in front you and following as close as possible with out taken him out but waiting for a opening then making the pass that’s fun. It doesn’t matter where you finish but A time trial In a race is just a time trial no trophy given.

The way I see it going down the straightaway taking the draft Then getting side by side coming to the turn each of you want to make the turn without a penalty’s that’s fun. Getting behind the car in front you and following as close as possible with out taken him out but waiting for a opening then making the pass that’s fun. It doesn’t matter where you finish but A time trial In a race is just a time trial no trophy given.

I couldnt agree more!! The problem is in the daily lobbies you just cant trust that the other car isn't going to pull a cheap move. There are far to many people that feel they must win or pass you at any cost, the problem is the price is usually a cheap move where they have no accountability and the penalty system doesnt dole out any "fairness". I race in some leagues and the racing is fantastic but the difference is that you know that you are not racing an 11 year old who will not succeed by any means possible. It gets extremely frustrating to race someone fair and have them not always play by the same rules.

I couldnt agree more!! The problem is in the daily lobbies you just cant trust that the other car isn't going to pull a cheap move. There are far to many people that feel they must win or pass you at any cost, the problem is the price is usually a cheap move where they have no accountability and the penalty system doesnt dole out any "fairness". I race in some leagues and the racing is fantastic but the difference is that you know that you are not racing an 11 year old who will not succeed by any means possible. It gets extremely frustrating to race someone fair and have them not always play by the same rules.

One thing we lose sight of is we are racing in a simulator that the software cost us $ 20.00 Plus the $1500 for the rig we have in our den. My opinion is we are drinking from the holly grail, Coming from 15 years of Go Kart racing this is the best for realism for me for the money. Like you it is frustrating to race against people who never had to go to work after race day, but that’s what makes us drive a little better so they can not be seen in the rear view.

3 years To get a first place and 2 seconds in the daily’s , but that same night l had the privilege of driving 3 races with 5 out of 12 of the best drivers I had the privilege to race with in one night , That’s what’s it’s all about.

Last edited:
Don’t forget, some of the top times are using very expensive gear, many with DD setups. Or even just Fanatec Clubsports. That’s a huge advantage over controllers for race pace, and in the right hands could buy you a second or two on single lap pace vs say a Logitech.

Don’t forget, some of the top times are using very expensive gear, many with DD setups. Or even just Fanatec Clubsports. That’s a huge advantage over controllers for race pace, and in the right hands could buy you a second or two on single lap pace vs say a Logitech.

In racing the more money you spend is not the ticket learning the track will find the better times . One thing I did is update my Ethernet connections l change my cat5e cables to cat8 my driving didn’t get better but my ping went from16 to 12 money well spent.

In racing the more money you spend is not the ticket learning the track will find the better times . One thing I did is update my Ethernet connections l change my cat5e cables to cat8 my driving didn’t get better but my ping went from16 to 12 money well spent.

You completely missed the point.

If you’re already near the top, better gear will lower your times. Guys who are 5-10sec off the pace, gear makes no difference. In their scenario, learning the track and working on driving will benefit them more.

But when discussing the top players, the better gear can easily make for 1-2sec of time.

And no, a Cat8 cable was a waste of money, and there are many reasons why. The cable wasn’t your bottle neck. Especially a waste of money if you didn’t upgrade all of your gear to support cat8. On top of which the PS4’s limited to 1Gbps so upgrading to a 40Gbps cable was entirely pointless. Plus your internet provider can’t even provide enough speed to exceed Cat5e. Cat8 is for internal networking needs primarily, not the general public.

You’re experiencing what we call, the placebo effect. Cat5/6/7/8 have zero effect on ping. And 16 vs 12 ping is minuscule and you would not be able to tell the difference. Biggest difference to ping? Shorter cable.

And in racing. Money is everything when you’re trying to compete at the top.

Last edited:
You completely missed the point.

If you’re already near the top, better gear will lower your times. Guys who are 5-10sec off the pace, gear makes no difference. In their scenario, learning the track and working on driving will benefit them more.

But when discussing the top players, the better gear can easily make for 1-2sec of time.

And no, a Cat8 cable was a waste of money, and there are many reasons why. The cable wasn’t your bottle neck. Especially a waste of money if you didn’t upgrade all of your gear to support cat8. On top of which the PS4’s limited to 1Gbps so upgrading to a 40Gbps cable was entirely pointless. Plus your internet provider can’t even provide enough speed to exceed Cat5e. Cat8 is for internal networking needs primarily, not the general public.

You’re experiencing what we call, the placebo effect. Cat5/6/7/8 have zero effect on ping. And 16 vs 12 ping is minuscule and you would not be able to tell the difference. Biggest difference to ping? Shorter cable.

And in racing. Money is everything when you’re trying to compete at the top.

changing the cables wasn’t a game changer but peace of mind. What I did was make all cables the same length running to and from my router starting at the ONT to my network switching than the same size smaller cables to all components . My goal was to have no run of cable Longer than 30 meters to and from router and switching . Most gain of all was WiFi made it to all rooms of my house because of placement of router.

some one ask what is my time from the top dogs , simple put never the same . On a good day for me and a bad day for the dogs it’s 2 to 4 that’s on a short track. Qualifying time only get you a spot in a race the game changers is the first 4 or the last 4 spots that’s my opinion.

I am still 1-2 seconds off the top times on average depending on the track. But it takes me 20-30 laps of practice to get to that kind of pace consistently.

I think the introduction of ghost downloads from the top 10 has made it easier for people to set quicker quali times. At least I've found that. Before it was a case of setting a reasonable time, doing a few races to see where you might be able to go faster, then setting a faster quali time - repeat. Now its possible to download a ghost, do a few quali laps and be up there or thereabouts. I have no problem with this at all - its possible to get to A+ without even bothering to qualify for any races. Not that I'm claiming to be anywhere near the fastest players - still a few tenths to a few seconds off depending on combo. And of course its easier to set quicker times if you have more play time under your belt.

agreed, they have certainly helped me! I normally just load the #1 ghost, set the offset to .5 seconds and mimic whatever they do.

Last edited:
changing the cables wasn’t a game changer but peace of mind. What I did was make all cables the same length running to and from my router starting at the ONT to my network switching than the same size smaller cables to all components . My goal was to have no run of cable Longer than 30 meters to and from router and switching . Most gain of all was WiFi made it to all rooms of my house because of placement of router.

some one ask what is my time from the top dogs , simple put never the same . On a good day for me and a bad day for the dogs it’s 2 to 4 that’s on a short track. Qualifying time only get you a spot in a race the game changers is the first 4 or the last 4 spots that’s my opinion.

You still missed the point but whatever.

If your console is connected over WiFi then the Cat8 was even more pointless. Like I said, you would see no difference to cat6 over your system.

You still missed the point but whatever.

If your console is connected over WiFi then the Cat8 was even more pointless. Like I said, you would see no difference to cat6 over your system.

I Just assumed you would know that I am hard wired to every thing that matters to Sim Racing and others , the only WiFi is my iPhone and iPad and any thing I don’t care about , every thing Is hard wire in my house.

I am from the old school of racing spend as little as possible and get as much speed for the money and if that didn’t work fine more money!

I Just assumed you would know that I am hard wired to every thing that matters to Sim Racing and others , the only WiFi is my iPhone and iPad and any thing I don’t care about , every thing Is hard wire in my house.

I am from the old school of racing spend as little as possible and get as much speed for the money and if that didn’t work fine more money!

Not sure why you brought up WiFi then.....but even wired you would never exceed Cat5E/6 on a PS4. Doesnt really fit the mantra of “spend as little as possible”.

The spend as little as possible is fine for smaller racing, but once you get into the serious racing, budget is everything.

Not sure why you brought up WiFi then.....but even wired you would never exceed Cat5E/6 on a PS4. Doesnt really fit the mantra of “spend as little as possible”.

The spend as little as possible is fine for smaller racing, but once you get into the serious racing, budget is everything.

My WiFi improved because I move my router . I have always use a Ethernet cables to connect my PS4 and PS4 pro and my computers I also run Ethernet cables to my TV’s and my TIVO’s .

Now let’s get to the thing about why I went with cat8 when I could have stayed With cat5e cables. Simply put because I could !

Last edited:
My WiFi improved because I move my router . I have always use a Ethernet cables to connect my PS4 and PS4 pro and my computers I also run Ethernet cables to my TV’s and my TIVO’s .

Now let’s get to the thing about why I went with cat8 when I could have stayed With cat5e cables. Simply put because I could !

Not sure if it’s a language barrier, but your all over the map.

Why are we still talking about WiFi? I get that you could upgrade to Cat8. But it was pointless and didn’t help you. It didn’t improve your ping or help your racing as you originally claimed. It was a waste of money not “money well spent”. Like buying $50-100 HDMI cables when the $2 monoprice one gives the exact same result lol.

Wanted to make sure others knew that buying Cat8 cables will not help them. Gotta look out for the community.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s a language barrier, but your all over the map.

Why are we still talking about WiFi? I get that you could upgrade to Cat8. But it was pointless and didn’t help you. It didn’t improve your ping or help your racing as you originally claimed. It was a waste of money not “money well spent”. Like buying $50-100 HDMI cables when the $2 monoprice one gives the exact same result lol.

Wanted to make sure others knew that buying Cat8 cables will not help them. Gotta look out for the community.

Sorry Deadpool you think my results will hurt the community, I will look for you in the daily’s to see how your Cat5e are working for you in a race not a time trial.

Last edited:
Back