How much slower are you from the top dogs?

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 228 comments
Depends in the event. I'm usually 2-3 seconds slower than the number 1 spot. Bottom of the 10, If I can get under two seconds, I'm good. At the moment, I'm less than 0.02 seconds from the 10th spot at Nations Brands Hatch, using a different car than the METAs.

Usually 1 second away from the top time trial time on the daily races if I get a good lap. Can get within 2-5 tenths of the Top 10 if the combo is one I like.

I'm staggered how people can gain so much time at some tracks. I feel like I'm going as quick as I possibly can and you get guys coming along and laying down mad laptimes! If the likes of Lightning and Fuvaros come along and set times, then I'm usually more like 1.5s off the top.

Last edited:
Usually 1 second away from the top time trial time on the daily races if I get a good lap. Can get within 2-5 tenths of the Top 10 if the combo is one I like.

I'm staggered how people can gain so much time at some tracks. I feel like I'm going as quick as I possibly can and you get guys coming along and laying down mad laptimes! If the likes of Lightning and Fuvaros come along and set times, then I'm usually more like 1.5s off the top.

Hello Super GT. Long time viewer here...

Since you ditched the pad, you've improved dramatically and it looks like there's still more to come. How many hours (a week) do you put into the game though? I imagine YT is a bit of a time hog.

I generally have decent qualifying times in my region. Anywhere between 1.5 to 2.5 seconds off top times depending on length. However, that doesn't tell the full story. I only qualify in cars I race, so my race Pace is right around my qualifying times. I see a lot of guys who qualify better than me with the META cars but can't string more than 1 or two laps together. It's a cool stat to track but just like any stat, it's easy to skew.

Depends on the car/track combination. I was 1.7% off at Monza, the other week, for 1562nd in EMEA, and the last Gr.3 race at RBR I was 1.9% off, for 2161st. I was 2.4% off at Fuji Gr.2 last time out, and 1129th.

On the other hand, the last Gr.4 race we had at Suzuka, I was 5% off, for 18,644th. I'm hoping we can smash that, next week.

I'll never be "Top 100" fast. But, I am quick, and consistent, when we have a car/track combo that I gel with.

Update. If I put 30 mins into quali, I can get inside the top 1000 EMEA. Usually around the 500-800th range, if I don't lose interest before I set a quick a time.

I’m usually somewhere between 5/10 secs of the pace!

But that’s à pretty useless bench mark for me.

It would be far better if I could see the top times in my DR group...

But PD never seem to do what would be helpful
Would make sense, but sometimes there are fast players on alt accounts. With some in lower DR groups, top times may not be accurate.

I'm usually within 2s of top, sometimes closer depending on how much time I can spend trying to nail a lap. What I have done over the last ten months or so though is improve - a lot. Getting a wheel helped hugely and I slashed my times once I got used to it, and now it doesn't take me anywhere near as much practice to get up to a decent pace. Plus I'm still learning and improving when I can dedicate the time. I use the feedback more, I use kerbs more, I'm smoother with all the inputs and hoping that within the next few months I'll be a regular in getting top 100 times

A couple of sections from Kprime times.

Original account pre-wheel
Screenshot_20200116-203156_Chrome.jpg

'Racy' account using the wheel
Screenshot_20200116-203349_Chrome.jpg

I kinda wish I hadn't stopped playing - I managed to get to 68k DR with a lot of graft and driving like a bat out of hell vs the guys who just do it naturally. I think I burnt myself out as I stopped racing for a long time and have only just started again. Looking back at Kudos my prime was April 18, I had quite a few times inside the top 20-30 in EMEA, with a best placing of 13th which was 0.9 off of the top time. My DR has been slipping ever since and it's a bit disheartening as I've definitely lost pace :-(

Usually my goal is to try and break into the top 100 EMEA. Sometimes im 200 and something, but im maybe a tenth away from top 100.
I know that if i get into the top 100 or close, im fast enough. My race pace is really good, as i can set constant lap times with and without tyre wear and fuel savings. This means i gain positions constantly during the race and im happy with that. So if i start 8th, i dont bother as much. Now ive gotten used to the fanatec wheel with the loadcell (got it at the end of august), finally broken my way into A+, finally racing top split daily races and im very satisfied with my self. This year im going to attack the FIA championship more seriously and we’ll see how it goes.

I'm only 1 tenth away from your Dragons Trail time this week. Got a new G29 so i'm re-learning how to drive with a wheel since GT5. I'm around 1.5% away from the top EU times. Track dependent though it must be said.

On average I'm about 1.3% of the top time.

That's good enough to get me in the top 300 in EMEA most weeks.

I dont go overboard with time trialing as dont really enjoy it but il have a blast on monday then set out to improve that later in week.

Also I tend not to use the favoured car so I can alway tell myself I can easily improve lol. For example my Suzuka time is set in the Aston Martin, currently a 1.59.9, so in my head I can get a 59.5 no probs in the huracan or Porsche lol

I’m usually within 1sec after 15-20min of laps unless I’m very familiar with car/track combo. Not sure how long the top 10 spend.

My goal is to always get within a second of the top times which ensures me a very high starting spot or pole usually.

And that 15-20min is spent finding a optimal line that can be repeated consistently. This is especially important with tire wear. I typically run within a few tenths of my quali lap in race. I’d say the most important thing many of you can do is to focus on consistency, work on a line that gives you consistency and speed.

Sometimes that means knowing where to sacrifice speed and not push too hard because if you mess up you lose a second or more vs sacrificing a tenth.

I have a thing called the Outlaw Rule. Generally, my absolute best time at anything in Gran Turismo will be about a second off the very best. Been that way since GT5. Great because it highlights my sheer consistency. Frustrating because I have plateaued to where I'm always up against the elites and all I can do is watch them sneak away every single time.

Of course, I should point out that having a fast time trial lap is only part of the equation. That speed needs to show up in the actual race as well.

For me it heavily depends on the car. Usually the more grip and downforce something has, the slower and less consistent I become.

With street cars I'm usually no more than 3 tenths off the world record depending on how much effort I put into practicing. With Gr.2 and Gr.1 cars the gap between myself and the world record can be as much as 1 second. Though to be honest everything I've just said becomes invalid as soon as I drive on the Nordschleife, which in that case I become extremely average and I end up well off the top 10. :lol:

"How much slower are you from the top dogs?"

Greyhound.png

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I'm very far away from the pace. Thinking of max Speed of 80 km/h, a very well practiced top dog could probably maintain 35-40 km/h over a 5,8km track at Suzuka for example. That leads to a lap time of lets say 9 min.
Switching between walking and running (because I can't run 5,8 km in a row), I could probably reach 7 km/h in average. Lets round it to 45min in for Suzuka. That means- sad for me- I am much more over 30min off pace each lap.

For me it heavily depends on the car. Usually the more grip and downforce something has, the slower and less consistent I become.

With street cars I'm usually no more than 3 tenths off the world record depending on how much effort I put into practicing. With Gr.2 and Gr.1 cars the gap between myself and the world record can be as much as 1 second. Though to be honest everything I've just said becomes invalid as soon as I drive on the Nordschleife, which in that case I become extremely average and I end up well off the top 10. :lol:

It's a stretch calling a "fixture" in the top 10 average. :bowdown::cheers:
I like it when you put up qualifying times because they are safe to watch to learn where speed can be gained, I hate wasting time watching a top replay to find out they are taking short cuts or wall riding. :banghead::banghead:

Most times around 2-3s behind the top times on the tracks I put effort into. I usually can get into the top 500 within NA by the end of the week.

Like most people posting here, I'm about 2-3 seconds off the pace usually on tracks between 2-4 miles in length. I can usually run that pace over the course of an entire race though (obviously not in races with tire wear though). Ever since I got my wheel for Christmas, my speed at tracks I like seems to have stayed the same as when I used a controller (maybe a few tenths quicker), but at some tracks I used to hate (like Maggiore) and I used to be 3-4 seconds behind on I can now get within that same 2-3 second gap.

In an open-wheel car I can usually easily crack the top 100 in the Americas (my highest ever was 38th in the F1500T at Brands Hatch). High grip, high speed cars (so open-wheel, Gr.1, and the Red Bull cars) and karts really flatter my driving style on this game. So of course, they're the cars PD uses the least for the Daily Races... :rolleyes:

Edit: actually my highest ever was 20th in the Americas at Blue Moon Bay Superspeedway I think back during the C2 Corvette one-make race there. IIRC the top times were from people who were wall-riding turn 1, which I didn't do, so I was probably inside the top 10 of people who didn't wall ride. Ovals also flatter my driving style, so of course PD doesn't ever want to use BMB or Northern Isle either... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello Super GT. Long time viewer here...

Since you ditched the pad, you've improved dramatically and it looks like there's still more to come. How many hours (a week) do you put into the game though? I imagine YT is a bit of a time hog.

I'd say about 5-15 hours a week (including livestreams) but that is mostly focused on creating videos. YT definitely is a time hog and unfortunately it's very tough to manage YT and improving at the game. It would be almost impossible to do YT whilst trying to qualify for a world tour. I rarely sit down and play with the sole intention of improving at the game/practicing.

Some of the top guys are doing hundreds of KM's on some TT's to get the best times and it kinda shows what is required to be a top level player. (Unless you're an alien like Lightning who can do world records in 5 minutes.)

I think another way to measure this is to look at how far off you finish the top guys in races. So if you're 20 seconds off after a 20 minute race, you're losing a second for every minute of the race that passes. Sometimes I think this is the better way to look at things as races are really what matters as you have to deliver there and then. In time trials, someone might have done 1000 laps to get a perfect lap.

Last edited:
I'd say about 5-15 hours a week (including livestreams) but that is mostly focused on creating videos. YT definitely is a time hog and unfortunately it's very tough to manage YT and improving at the game. It would be almost impossible to do YT whilst trying to qualify for a world tour. I rarely sit down and play with the sole intention of improving at the game/practicing.

Some of the top guys are doing hundreds of KM's on some TT's to get the best times and it kinda shows what is required to be a top level player. (Unless you're an alien like Lightning who can do world records in 5 minutes.)

I think another way to measure this is to look at how far off you finish the top guys in races. So if you're 20 seconds off after a 20 minute race, you're losing a second for every minute of the race that passes. Sometimes I think this is the better way to look at things as races are really what matters as you have to deliver there and then. In time trials, someone might have done 1000 laps to get a perfect lap.
A whole lot of the fast guys qualify but never race. So if you are close to top 10 you will win over most you meet.

There was an article on here (last summer I think) where some of the top drivers said how much they practiced. Anything from 3 to 10 hours a day... It's a full time job for some of them.

Luckily, you're pretty good at your day job.:D

A whole lot of the fast guys qualify but never race. So if you are close to top 10 you will win over most you meet.

Yeah, but their B game is usually better than my A game.:yuck:

Us slow guys have to minimize our time lost to the fast lappers with consistency. Keeping out of trouble and picking up other people's pieces when or if it goes wrong for them. Like terminator tortoises:lol:.

Back