How to best use the ghost - and avoid the bugs

• Thread starter DoctorNuu
  • 17 comments
Germany
Germany
Hey guys, despairing driver here.

I have finally come up with a system on how to make best use of the ghost - and now they are driving me crazy because the thing is bugged.
  • I always set the ghost to be at ~1.0sec ahead of me. Thx to PD for implementing that feature.
  • If the Top 10 ghosts are way too fast, I need to use my own.
  • Issue1: Why can't I just have my own best ghost - automatically - at 1.0sec?
  • So I have to save my own best lap and reload it for the ghost.
  • Issue2: About half of the time it does not work and there is no ghost
  • The replay file is fine when watched from the library
  • There are also other bugs with the ghost settings on the race screen vs in pause menu. Something is fishy there. Sometimes the second ghost appears at 0.0sec offset which is irritating, despite me disabling it in the race menu. I guess this happens when one enters the pause menu.
  • Yes, I have set up a button to turn the ghost on and off, works fine, this has nothing to do with the issues, I'm not a noob. Yes, there is free space to save to.
To clarify again: I have just saved two different laps, one of them is working fine as the ghost, the other is not working. The only difference is that the first was my personal best, while the second time was only the fastest in the session.

Anybody else using his own ghost successfully?

Last edited:
I am not sure if this has anything to do with what you are observing, (I will let others confirm) but i think if your save file data is nearing the memory cap of the allowable online save file CAP, then sometimes there are issues with, but not limited to, displaying newly acquired or modified (livery) cars in your garage, displaying and saving ghosts and replays....

Check to see if you have at least 20Mb or more in game save file memory...

3.2GB free, as I have recently started over. Not the issue.

I am not talking about your Console memory... i am talking about your game save file size/memory left.... If you go to your photo section, you should be able to see it ...

(exhales) Yes, that's where it says 3.2GB. Really not the issue.

Also how would your theory explain that the first save is not working and another save 30min later is working.

I’ve never tried setting ghosts one second ahead.
I -guess- my personal best ghost is set to on because if he doesn’t pass me (ugly little spud isn’t he?) I end up with a best time...
I’m sure there’s no bug tho it’s just operator error. I remember using ghost last time at Nurb GP in the VW it took a few minutes to realize how it worked...
I didn’t need to start a thread about my own incompetence at figuring it out...I just used my brain and realized how it worked. I’m not much on ghosts but a lot of people seem to use and like them...For me it’s distracting...

I'm not going to dwell on your intelligence, hard as that might be.

The ghost is just less distracting 1sec ahead. Natural driving. That's the whole point.

Regards,
DoctorNuu - not DoctorNoob (probably hard to discern)

I used to always use a T10 ghost, but I’ve gone to just using my own for the past while, I do watch their laps though to get braking points and lines. I‘ve never offset the ghost before though, I just have a button mapped for show/hide ghost and only pop it up when I want to check where I stand compared to it. :)

Plus if you rely on the ghost to practice then in race you are screwed.
You are conditioned to that, instead of running your race.

I just find that if I can see it in front of me, I end up looking at the car and not my reference points and make more mistakes. I just flash it up on the straights mostly to see if I’m ahead or behind. :)

That's what the delta is for - in principle. Unfortunately they only show delta to session best. No way to switch. Just one more annoying/confusing thing. I would only ever display things wrt the best lap so far. This whole 'session best' is crap.

Side note: It took me 2 years to find out that you can switch 'session best'/'car record' in the sector display. Does not affect the delta in the HUD. Unfortunately there are also bugs in the 'opti'. Coding is so hard. For things that are hardly tested.

Back to the ghost:

With the ghost always on and 1sec in front, you can gauge e.g. your exit speed way better than by glancing at the delta or flashing the ghost. Even more so for trail-braking.

I do admit, that there is the effect that can you get too used to the car in front. To counteract, you still actively look at break ref, apex, exit. Not so much on the car. You also might turn it off in between or in the end when your 'learning phase' is over.

I think you could try to have an offset on the ghost gap before crossing the finish line. I feel like the game sometimes freeze if the ghost gap is at 0.0.

I don’t like having the delta there, I stare at that too much too! :lol:
I feel my driving has improved since I'm no longer able to look at the HUD delta. It's directly behind the rim. Unfortunately, they have these pop-ups to tell you that you are on a hotlap.:D

I think you could try to have an offset on the ghost gap before crossing the finish line. I feel like the game sometimes freeze if the ghost gap is at 0.0.
The progress made in this thread is 0.0

I feel my driving has improved since I'm no longer able to look at the HUD delta. It's directly behind the rim. Unfortunately, they have these pop-ups to tell you that you are on a hotlap.:D

The progress made in this thread is 0.0

Nice! I’ve also seen guys put a small piece of masking tape over that part of the screen too. :lol: Whatever gets bit out of sight! :)

To further contribute to the non-progress of this topic, you know you can simply remove the entire HUD all together, right? (rhetorical question).

Much cleaner and less distracting...

To further contribute to the non-progress of this topic, you know you can simply remove the entire HUD all together, right? (rhetorical question).

Much cleaner and less distracting...

I use bumper cam, that would leave me with Zero info on screen, that won’t work for me.

Any ideas of how to circumvent this bug??? Drives me crazy.

The issue - simplified - again:
  1. Saved a single "best lap" Race A (in Qualifying Time Trial)
  2. Loaded it as ghost
  3. Ghost disappears after 5 seconds.
  4. Lap looks fine when viewed in library

Back