How would you add a Gr.4 & Gr.3 car for the automakers that don't have 'em?

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 102 comments
The GTO.R was built for Rolex Grand Am's GT category, which was slower than the GTS category that was roughly equivalent to today's GT3/LM GTE cars. They ended up dropping the GTS category because they were just as fast as the Daytona Prototypes at the time. The only data point I can find that we can compare to GTSport is a 2007 race at Laguna Seca that put the GT category around 1:29.5 which is nowhere near competitive with Gr3.
Aston Martin GT4 1:33 at Laguna Seca
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/automatic-aston-quickest-on-friday-at-laguna/

Edit: To add, the Bathurst Monaro is nearly V8 Supercar spec: 600hp/1400kg. Even having 200hp more than the GTO.R and being 300lbs heavier, it still has skinnier tyres and looks more production based than the GTO.R.

Edit2: Only reference I can make are the Monaro 427C lap time versus an M4 fastest lap at Bathurst.

2:13 for the Monaro 427C
2:16 for the M4 GT4

The M4 GT4 did that time after the circuit was resurfaced.

Again, by looks, I'd still suggest the Monaro as the GT4 spec and the GTO.R as the GT3 spec. Even though the power differences say otherwise.

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of lumping old race cars from different categories and eras into one class. It shouldn't be the case.

I don't like the idea of lumping old race cars from different categories and eras into one class. It shouldn't be the case.
I'm sure most of us agree. The problem then becaomes, as PD had to decide, what cars DO they include.

Mentioned plenty of times, the only REAL manufacturer "GT4" cars out at the time of the game's debut were: the Aston and Cayman. 570S, M4, Mustang, F-Type, AMG GT, probably just missed PD's boat. Seeing the OP was two years ago, maybe PD reset the category for the next game.

Probably mentioned before, but a proper GT3 Ford GT would have been great... to go with the Mustang Gr4.

And yeah, a 'vintage' class to separate the older legends from the modern tech would be cool, too.

Probably mentioned before, but a proper GT3 Ford GT would have been great... to go with the Mustang Gr4.

And yeah, a 'vintage' class to separate the older legends from the modern tech would be cool, too.
At the very least, a “Gr.1V” and “Gr.3V”.

Having the Veyron as a Group 4 and not a Group 3 car made no sense.
The VW Group 3 would've looked much less odd if it were an Arteon or even a Passat instead. The Beetle just looks out of place.

The rest is just unnecessary, the game doesn't need more Group 3 and Group 4 cars, it needs more categories with the depth of Group 3 and Group 4.

I know it's been well over a year since the last post in this thread, but I'm very pumped to see Genesis potentially join the Manufacturers Series, seeing how they have both a Gr.4 and Gr.3 car made up. I'm especially excited since my dad drives a 2018 G80 Sport.
Having the Veyron as a Group 4 and not a Group 3 car made no sense.
The VW Group 3 would've looked much less odd if it were an Arteon or even a Passat instead. The Beetle just looks out of place.

The rest is just unnecessary, the game doesn't need more Group 3 and Group 4 cars, it needs more categories with the depth of Group 3 and Group 4.
Yeah, I can't say I'm a massive fan of the Veyron Gr.4 just being a Veyron with some decals and the active aero in a fixed position. I'd love to see Bugatti in the Manufacturers Series - just not like that. I'd also love to see at least one more group join the Manufacturers Series, and I think Gr.1 would be a great candidate. Between VGTs, IMSA DPs, LMH, LMDh, and other prototypes like the un-raced Alfa Romeo SE 048SP, I think plenty of automakers could have Gr.1 cars. I just hope we can see DPi/LMDh in there - if there are licensing issues, that could really get in the way, especially if we wanted Gr.1 representation from Cadillac, Chevrolet, and Acura alone, let alone other DPis like those from Mazda and Nissan. Then there's LMDh, which could grant tons of automakers representation in Gr.1, or at least more modern cars like for Lamborghini and BMW, as the only alternative - VGTs aside - would respectively be the Countach QVX and the V12 LMR.

Last edited:
For most of the groups to work, the Gr.4 cars need to be RWD only. Gr.1 needs more balance in terms of era.

PD need to choose GroupC, LMP900, LMP1 or GT1 prototypes. Not sure how long it would take PD to make a Gr.1 car for each manufacturer, but theyd have to pick one spec. The multiple eras don’t work in Gr.1.

For most of the groups to work, the Gr.4 cars need to be RWD only. Gr.1 needs more balance in terms of era.

PD need to choose GroupC, LMP900, LMP1 or GT1 prototypes. Not sure how long it would take PD to make a Gr.1 car for each manufacturer, but theyd have to pick one spec. The multiple eras don’t work in Gr.1.
I think the bigger issue is that most races should limit the eligible cars to a certain sub-set within a group, rather than most races that feature a class also permitting all cars within that class. For example, we could use more races in the vein of the Daily Races that only permitted the Group C cars within Gr.1. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth breaking up Gr.1, or any other group.

I wouldn't add them at all... why bother doing something that was not made?!
Well, we wouldn’t have the M4, F-Type, SLS and Mustang Gr.4 or the Mustang and F-Type Gr.3. These are cars that have real world versions(There was only a real world F-Type sketch, but the XK GT3 did exist and a real world Mustang GTCs race in Australia and Europe, AMG GT4 was still in development), but weren’t out yet, before the game got delayed. Glad PD had the foresight to make them. We’d only have the TT Cup and Cayman GT4 as real world GT4 cars.

The game would nearly be like ACC, that started with GT3 only.

Well, we wouldn’t have the M4, F-Type, SLS and Mustang Gr.4 or the Mustang and F-Type Gr.3. These are cars that have real world versions(There was only a real world F-Type sketch, but the XK GT3 did exist and a real world Mustang GTCs race in Australia and Europe, AMG GT4 was still in development), but weren’t out yet, before the game got delayed. Glad PD had the foresight to make them. We’d only have the TT Cup and Cayman GT4 as real world GT4 cars.

The game would nearly be like ACC, that started with GT3 only.
Indeed. Made-for-game cars, whether they're the VGT cars or the made-for-game racers, offer GT an advanced identity beyond simply including the latest lineup of GT3/GT4 cars. Without those cars, the line between GT and other racing games becomes a bit blurrier, as far as I know.

Last edited:
Back