How?

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Rally-boy123
I don't understand how to drift. I've watched videos on YouTube but haven't got the gist of it, and keep spinning out when I try to drift or in some cases just not drift a bend at all. Can someone explain to me how to drift?

Thanks for any feedback

This is the video for you my friend:
[youtube]

Learning how to drift in the games or in reality don't come overnight. It's tricky, so you gotta be patient. I think the most important aspect of learning how to drift is seat time. You will spin out a few times and you may get frustrated, but it'll all start to come together eventually. I still suck at drifting in GT6, I mean I can finally hold slides now, but like I said, it takes time and patience.

Plus if you're gonna drift, start out with a nice inexpensive RWD car. Nissan 240SX comes to mind, or a MK III Toyota Supra.

Since I choose a 240SX over the Supra, where could I find one? There's no 240SX's in the Nissan dealership or in the used car dealership

Here's a easy way to learn...

I take it you probably are used to racing?

If yes I have a good solution.

Get a low to medium range HP car and put comfort hard tires on it. Just leave the suspension, LSD, power stock (if it won't slide at all add about a 100 HP or so to it).
I know the following sounds stupid but it will work. Take the car to a challenging track such as Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Now what you are going to do is try to race the car but try to go full throttle and as fast as you can through the turns. Now because you have comfort hard tires the car will try to slide out on you. Try to judge how much countersteer and throttle you need to use to hold the car on the track.

Here's one of the best sayings I learned to understand drifting...

Spinout- Too much throttle or not enough countersteer
Straighten out- Not enough throttle or too much countersteer.

Maybe that will help you.

Instead of trying to drift straight off the bat, try and just get used to hard tyres in a low powered FR and how to control the sliding, much as @Lock2Lock has said.

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I'll try it out :) What track should I
go on? I know Lock2Lock said the Nurburgring, but that sounds pretty daunting for a beginner
LOL, only a track, it won't kill you :lol:

Try something like Silverstone Stowe, a short, simple test track. Good mix of sweepers and tighter corners.

A Subaru van? Mate, you're insane ;)

huxley.jpg

GT6's physics engine causes everything to be roly poly, and you therefore wheelie/fall over a lot. Very fun and strangely satisfying to do, I must admit :lol:

@BlowoffValve

Hahaha yeah the track seems crazy for a beginner.

The reason I said to go there is because doing laps and trying to actually race by pushing it to the limit while trying to control the car like @hsv010 said.

Basically by doing laps around that track like I said in my previous post your focus is on running the lap instead of drifting as the main focus. Sort of like Touge

@BlowoffValve

Hahaha yeah the track seems crazy for a beginner.

The reason I said to go there is because doing laps and trying to actually race by pushing it to the limit while trying to control the car like @hsv010 said.

Basically by doing laps around that track like I said in my previous post your focus is on running the lap instead of drifting as the main focus. Sort of like Touge
At the moment I'm on the Top Gear track, and after 30-45 long minutes I'm finally getting some form of drift. I'm happy, but I'll be happier when I can drift the full circuit ;)

Back