HTC Vive Pro & HTC Vive Virtual Reality Headset Thread

Is the cost for the device too prohibitive for consumers?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
My advice: buy a 1070. Best bang for buck and it has more than enough performance for Assetto Corsa in VR. And you can set supersampling up to 1.5 - 1.7, depending on how many cars you put on the grid, it will give you a much clearer image. A 1080 is nice, but expensive.
AC settings: turn post processing off, set AA to 2x (or 4x if the card can handle it), set reflections to static.
I haven't tried other racing titles, but Project Cars seems to run with FPS problems even on a 1080 according to many posts.
My current system: i7 2600k at 4.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM (8 should be fine too).
SLI is a no-go, it simply doesn't work for VR.

Same advice about VR SLI there, it's a no go. Currently there are... zERO titles that support VR SLI.

I7 6700k @4.6Ghz + Asus Strix OC GTX 1080. I can run Assetto Corsa with Default AI (I enjoy doing the carrier) with Per Pixel Density @ 1.5, no AA, and reflection refresh rate @Ultra with medium quality. No post process, no high res mirror reflection.

I prefer the Vive because of Room Scale and its tracking technology, I am really familiar with the rift too. If you are planning to only racing, maybe the rift could be more user friendly because of integrated hear phone.

Same advice about VR SLI there, it's a no go. Currently there are... zERO titles that support VR SLI.

I7 6700k @4.6Ghz + Asus Strix OC GTX 1080. I can run Assetto Corsa with Default AI (I enjoy doing the carrier) with Per Pixel Density @ 1.5, no AA, and reflection refresh rate @Ultra with medium quality. No post process, no high res mirror reflection.

I prefer the Vive because of Room Scale and its tracking technology, I am really familiar with the rift too. If you are planning to only racing, maybe the rift could be more user friendly because of integrated hear phone.
Try with AA 4x: no shimmering anymore, but you may have to turn down the reflection (even on a 1080).

Thanks

I'd agree that a 1070 would be nice now and is the performance/cost sweetspot. If I was currently gaming with VR or indeed at 1440, Im not though as just using a Full HD TV. Had looked at the MSI Gaming X / Galax HOF / EVA FTW or CLASSIFIED models all of which overclock pretty well too.

Yes with even a 1080 currently not good enough yet to get the most from the screen with supersampling and that is part of the problem VR has along with the costs of the headset and such a GPU. This is why I asked about SLI 1070 in VR but thanks for the update of it not being supported. I would expect Nvidia by early summer next year to have a new card that will be even better for VR but still a substantial purchase no doubt.

Just feel at the moment it would be better maybe not to buy the 1070 over a 1060 if I wont be getting proper usage of it till then anyways and by next summer likely their could be something much better on the horizon.

I feel I want both 4K gaming with HDR and VR as well for my own build. So again a 1070 and even a 1080 currently doesnt quite cut it. I also feel we really should not be forced to spend over the £600 / $600 for a top end card.

Try with AA 4x: no shimmering anymore, but you may have to turn down the reflection (even on a 1080).

I will have a look but the super sampling is already an anti aliasing method so I don't think adding *4 AA will change anything (but will consume additional CPU).

Oh, wow. I spent a lot of time playing Assetto Corsa on the DK2 but never got around to fiddling with Revive. AC with the Vive is now my gold standard for most impressive thing I've ever done in VR. It's amazing what this game looks like in VR when the view is crystal clear and everything is just popping. I'm stunned.

On a semi-related note, I will absolutely crash my computer if I plug my T500 into the USB port before I turn SteamVR on. Ironically, SteamVR actually works and the headset changes position in the white room, but nothing else does. My poor Logitech keyboard has its lights spastically cycling and and my mouse won't work either.

Vive is on its seperate USB controller too. Only thing that's on that controller.

Luckily, if I launch SteamVR first, and then plug in my T500, everything runs perfectly.

It will have better multithread performance but I expect i7 6700k i7 700k to be faster gaming CPU because games are more sensitive to high single thread performance.

I think all new Rizen will be amzing for gaming, for VR the bottleneck is still our weak gpus (i7 6700k / GTX 1080 owner, I want a 40 TFlops gpu for VR !!!)
Thought we're pretty close to having GPUs that will be able to do 4K over 120fps within next 12 months? Which I do hope Ryzen is a good sign of what's expected to come with AMD Vega.

I hope, a GTX 1080 is 9.3 TFlops and is not powerful enough to max out all Assetto Corsa settings in VR, so I am waiting for a beefier GPU. Maybe Volta, Vega 10 seems to be 10% faster than GP104, so Vega 10 and the 1080Ti GP102 GPU should be really close. But still not enough :)

I hope, a GTX 1080 is 9.3 TFlops and is not powerful enough to max out all Assetto Corsa settings in VR, so I am waiting for a beefier GPU. Maybe Volta, Vega 10 seems to be 10% faster than GP104, so Vega 10 and the 1080Ti GP102 GPU should be really close. But still not enough :)

A GTX1080 still can't max out AC in VR? What settings did you lower to compensate to your acceptable frame rate?

Mind if I ask what PC specs you're running because it will help a lot of us to keep our expectations in check and still saving for a VR setup.

Last edited:
Shadow and detail on high instead of ultra. No post process and reflection set to low quality but ultra refresh rate (which means the 6 renders used to create reflection are made using a low resolution but are computed every frame).

I use per pixel density at 1.4 which increases a lot the needed fill rate.

It is still one of the best VR experience but it is not yet that the high end gpu can handle high quality VR rendering.

New SteamVR headset by Valve and LG presented at GDC

LG-SteamVR-headset-636x358.jpg

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review/5

Hardocp seems to be one of the only guys who do VR benchmarks. At least at this stage of the Ryzen platform, it's not exactly the recommended choice. Who knows if they can straighten some issues out and improve those results.

@super_gt Nice, resolution improvement doesn't seem enough to warrant an upgrade at this point but may convince those who are holding off buying.

They seem to be very fluid at this point. They seem to be hinting the resolution may increase even more. In the UploadVR interview, they also claimed the cable was short because they were hoping to allow the option to have wireless be built in. Those are two things that could definitely sway my opinion very quickly. The Sony style clamping mechanism combined with the MS VR style flip screen looks awesome though.

@super_gt Nice, resolution improvement doesn't seem enough to warrant an upgrade at this point but may convince those who are holding off buying.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/02/amd_ryzen_1700x_cpu_review/5

Hardocp seems to be one of the only guys who do VR benchmarks. At least at this stage of the Ryzen platform, it's not exactly the recommended choice. Who knows if they can straighten some issues out and improve those results.

They seem to be very fluid at this point. They seem to be hinting the resolution may increase even more. In the UploadVR interview, they also claimed the cable was short because they were hoping to allow the option to have wireless be built in. Those are two things that could definitely sway my opinion very quickly. The Sony style clamping mechanism combined with the MS VR style flip screen looks awesome though.

Now we need two new 1080Ti to be able to drive the new per eye resolution now will be close 1440p.

Instead of increasing high resolution or wait for tradition LED/LCD and improvements, which either way means higher cost adoption for VR, I'm waiting for Glyph like technologies just limiting to 1080p projecting right into the retina without needing high end GPU as it's taxing with minimum refresh rate as it is.

Now we need two new 1080Ti to be able to drive the new per eye resolution now will be close 1440p.

Instead of increasing high resolution or wait for tradition LED/LCD and improvements, which either way means higher cost adoption for VR, I'm waiting for Glyph like technologies just limiting to 1080p projecting right into the retina without needing high end GPU as it's taxing with minimum refresh rate as it is.

I mean, the only upside is that most people have gotten addicted to super sampling anyways (to get rid of the aliasing). So maybe if the higher screen resolution helped reduce the aliasing issue, we wouldn't need super sampling and the actual render resolution could be reduced.

Obviously if we're not talking rendering to the retina, the next best solution is eye tracking and foveated rendering. That should drastically cut the rendering power needed. Our eyes really only have a small cone of high resolution anyways. So if you just know where to focus that bandwidth, it solves a lot of these issues.

I mean, the only upside is that most people have gotten addicted to super sampling anyways (to get rid of the aliasing). So maybe if the higher screen resolution helped reduce the aliasing issue, we wouldn't need super sampling and the actual render resolution could be reduced.

Obviously if we're not talking rendering to the retina, the next best solution is eye tracking and foveated rendering. That should drastically cut the rendering power needed. Our eyes really only have a small cone of high resolution anyways. So if you just know where to focus that bandwidth, it solves a lot of these issues.

Until retina projection can also target peripheral vision otherwise it's not going to be immersive for VR. However, very excited what LG is doing.

Anyway, an interesting article on Verge pointed out the estimated sales of Sony VR is closing in on a million headsets while HTC Vive 420k and Oculus Rift 243k. With my scepticism the starting cost associated with PC-based VR headsets/setup, these are still solid figures but analyst would classified as "enthusiast" gaming accessories like GTX 1080. (I wonder if GTX 1080 even sold as much)

With VR headset consumer sentiment waning, I wonder if HTC have any plans of HTC Vive 2 or happy to pass on the baton. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
HTC seems to be building their entire company around VR. They've also started an arcade side. A business centered side. They're heavily involved with developers on the Vive tracking puck. And I think something that people in the west ignore, is they're pretty much crushing it in their home market of China. I absolutely think they'll be a Vive V2, but it won't come to market before they can include eye tracking/foveated rendering, high resolution screens, and build in wireless. This pretty much means you're looking at a mid/late 2018 product and not 17.

I also think some people just had unrealistic expectations for Gen 1. As disappointing as it is in some respects, I don't know how any one can't see it isn't the future of the computing platform. It's just, certain technical hurdles need to be cleared before that's going to happen. Especially since a lot of these technical hurdles have major impediments on software design and have crippling limitations which limit the ability for killer apps to be created. Seriously, if you start to write down all the things you can't do (well), because of severe hardware limitation, there's a very narrow band of apps that actually work well on today's HMDs. You can easily make the argument sim racing works better than anything based on all these limitations (although it too will obviously benefit from better hardware).

I pretend to buy a VR device in a couple of years. Is it possible or is there already any project about eye tracking summed to head position tracking ? This would be really awsome in my opinion.

I pretend to buy a VR device in a couple of years. Is it possible or is there already any project about eye tracking summed to head position tracking ? This would be really awsome in my opinion.
Eye-tracking and foveated rendering are already part of the plans for many next-gen VR headsets. Basically, in addition to normal positioning of your head, it will track your gaze and render that part while making the rest less detailed to allow for higher resolution screens without killing performance.

Back