HTC Vive Pro & HTC Vive Virtual Reality Headset Thread

Is the cost for the device too prohibitive for consumers?

• Yes

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
duh omg... I triple and double clicked on every button but that one will try.

Tried and no I still can´t fathom how I am going to get the camera to operate? In youtube videos you are supposed to be able to superimpose your own room furniture but that don´t happen. double clicking I get up the dashboard not the camera view. and all three test fails when I try the camera functionality.

Last edited:
3/As you are much closer to the screen than when you look at a tv, this number of pixels is way too low for "real gaming". It is ok for all the demos and mini-games things but for a racing game, it is a different story.

4/ To make it simple, in a racing game like project cars, the interior of the car is ps4 grade, mid-distance objects seem ps3 grade and long-distance objects feel ps2 grade.

5/ For real games (racing, fps, etc), testing the Vive gives a taste of the crazy resolution that would be needed for VR gaming to deliver its full potential (4000x4000 pixels ?)

7/ Triple screen set-ups should be kept for a few years !

NB: for some reason, the "direct feed" videos you see on youtube (or on the pc screen while you wear the Vive) look much better than what you feel in the headset. Aliasing, etc. Again, I think that it is linked to the resolution versus eye-screen distance ratio and to the fact that immersion makes your brain try to focus on low details objects when using the Vive. On the contrary we look at the game image or video more globally when seeing it classically on a tv or pc monitor.

I agree with these points, In racing games you need to look into the distance to see braking points and upcoming corners, this is a massive hindrance in current VR, until we get better Pixel density

I agree with these points, In racing games you need to look into the distance to see braking points and upcoming corners, this is a massive hindrance in current VR, until we get better Pixel density

Agree to a point to be ultracompetitive but still it´s a much more realistic experience then any triple monitor setup I ever tried :)

I tried LFS and it was a real halleluja moment running the formulas I instantly realized what all the hype was about. I was running gokart last week and running that yellow tiny little formula kart or what it´s it was pretty much a 1:1 experience. My TX just lacked a bit of torque but the ffb was just about spot on otherwise. I was crying of fear/excitement as I got close to the walls on that street circuit and I could feel it in my gut as I accelerate! Simracing normally is quite some disjointed affair of watching a flat wall and reacting to what you see and force feedback. You are just not there at the moment! Trying the formula one and that cockpit view wow just felt so right.

But yes certainly hard to see brake marker signs in the distance and hard to find reference points but more the fear make it all that much harder to push. But you really get confident with the perimeter of the car and you can see all the elevation changes but surely it´s about immersion and realism rather then lap times :)

Graphics can be optimized for sure will see how good I can get it on my X 1080. Just hope AC and PCARS can be patched to be as good as LFS.

@pawel have you ever tried VR ? I'm asking because there is no way you can have an opinion on it unless you have tried it.
Yes I have

Agree to a point to be ultracompetitive but still it´s a much more realistic experience then any triple monitor setup I ever tried :)

That is true, You do feel so much more immersed, to the point where it almost fools you that you are in the car itself, It helps a lot if you are using a wheel, and it's turning is 1:1

But i would prefer the 3 monitor setup for competitive racing still.

Last edited:
I wouldn´t say preferr but to be competitive I kind of have to I feel. There is also the fear involved. It´s scary to race
Double click on the headset button ! :)

On the left side if I remember well

Super late response but I get where my base stations is located when double clicking not the actual camera view?

I am trying to get assetto corsa running using revive? Is it still operational? They say you need to run occulus home is it the one where you download and install the games or is home a separate application?

I have that running installed the revive files in the assetto corsa folder and choose rift in rendering mode.

Last edited:
So I tried a Vive last night at a car meet, running PCARS. Overall very immersive but for $800 I'll have to pass. The amount of pixels isn't enough to justify the price so you get a very bad screen door effect. I'll wait a few years.

Bought a Vive last week and finally got around to getting it to work with a sim yesterday.

Previously owned the DK2 and spent a lot of hours racing with it. It basically destroyed my ability to race on monitors and after I sold it late last year, I abandoned sim racing.

I wanted something that would be simple to set-up so I returned to the first sim racer I ever used on my DK2: Live For Speed.

Turned into a massive hassle because I was trying to start Steam VR by going through the Steam client. This flat out refused to work and it wasn't until a found a tiny Reddit thread that explained you needed to open it outside of Steam or else OpenVR would fail to initialize. Once I found where that .exe was located, I was finally able to get LFS to initialize the headset.

And my impressions: Wow! Blown away by how much better the image is over the DK2. I realize optics are a very low tech field and things vary highly between individuals, but I'm perfectly in the sweet spot. Couldn't believe how everything was crisp and clear (versus just the center with my DK2). Also was blown away by the larger FOV and brightness.

I get why some many were in an uproar when the DK2 dropped to 100 degrees (versus the 110 that DK1 and Vive have). This extra bit of peripheral vision may be a subtle difference, but it was immediately apparent. It's the first time I really noticed that the Vive had a larger FOV than the DK2. It's also was neat to have things be significantly brighter.

I may just get sucked back into iracing afterall (when they update support). Next up on the immediate list is Richard Burns Rally and seeing if I can get Assetto Corsa working with Revive.

It may be a massive pain in the rear, and the wires a tangled mess that make you shake your head in disgust at yourself, but it's so good to be back in VR.

Had my first ever VR experience at Ignition Festival where they were using a Vive for looking around an Abarth 124 Spider. After being so unsure of VR, it totally blew my mind how I was able to virtually sit in the car, look around and poke around all the details. The controller was fairly simple to use too once you know where the buttons are.

The headset was quite comfortable to wear even with my glasses on and the tracking of my movements was just insane. I'm still a bit skeptical about the gaming side, but a VR setup like what I saw with the Abarth could revolutionise the experience of buying a car.

Just bought my VIVE and loving it. Resolution can be much better, but the overall experience is amazing. The next generations are going to be much better. The weakest link in the chain right now is the lowest minimum supported GPU's.

Future headsets will have built in eye tracking and higher screen resolution. With specific fovated rendering engine, it will be possible to have very high quality and very resolution on current gpu.

The current way to render VR game is brute force. Only a few games are using nVidia simultaneous multi projection.

Future headsets will have built in eye tracking and higher screen resolution. With specific fovated rendering engine, it will be possible to have very high quality and very resolution on current gpu.

The current way to render VR game is brute force. Only a few games are using nVidia simultaneous multi projection.

Couple of points on this: Nvidia had a presentation at Unite Europe recently and said they're working on enabling all of their VR features into the Unity engine so the developer can literally check/uncheck whether they want those features supported. It was the guy who also did some work on the Everest experience. That, plus Valve's "The Lab renderer", should offer some real low lying fruit for significant performance gains (at least with Unity).

One of the most interesting things about foveated rendering is its ability to offer a significantly larger FOV. Right now FOV is an absolute performance killer. So I would expect larger FOVs in the future since tracking would allow peripheral vision to have the low resolution it deserves.

Ideally, with reduced bandwidth requirements, it could also somehow bring wireless into play. And by wireless, I mean a battery pack I can clip onto my waste and is connected to the headset with a single wire (no need to add that weight/heat into the headset). Hated the cords with the DK2 and hate them even more with room scale. Things like Budget Cuts and Portal: Stories would be so much more awesome if I wasn't playing jump rope with the cords.

Haha. People weren't joking about upping the resolution multiplier. Setting the renderMultiplier to 2.0 makes a massive difference with these games. 1070 doesn't have the horses to run everything at such a high multiplier, but it makes it seem like it's another generation of screen.

Of course, that's a resolution of 2160x1200 X 1.4 X 2.0 = 6048 X 3360. And you need to hold that without dipping below 90fps. LOL

Foveated rendering definitely can't come soon enough.

EDIT: Obviously the dynamic resolution that the Lab Renderer plugin uses is the ideal until we get there. Let the game dynamically crank the resolution and AA as high as the CPU/GPU will allow at any given moment. It's wasteful, but these screens are capable of giving clean images if you brute force the rendering.

So, getting curious, I know PCARS is a hog but having watched this guys channel on YT "Assetto Corsa" is looking to be more and more my goto sim.

Video covers many aspects but you get an idea of his opinion compared to triples.

I need a need GFX just for general gaming but a 1070 isnt really enough for a future VR solution. Also my budget is really a GTX1060 or RX480 and for racing sims in general it seems Nvidia produce the better framerates.

While 2D is going more and more towards image quality with HDR monitors and 4K or 21:9 it makes it even harder to put up with the reported image quality in VR. Great to get the immersion but is pretty darn expensive to enjoy it currently.

Assetto Corsa with the Vive just makes me cry the first time I tried it. I was so impressed to be on the Nurburging, in a P1... I was thinkine : "That's it, after years, it's for real".

And since, _EVERY TIME_ I launch Assetto Corsa with my Vive, I still can feel the magic...

Just a little bit sad that I can't use real time reflection in VR, it is too expensive, my Strix GTX 1080 can't maintain 90 fps... (using per pixel density x1.5)

Maybe it will be possible in the future with nVidia simultaneous multi projection and multi res shader...

I didn't want to triple bump the thread, but since it's been bumped again, Richard Burns Rally is very cool with the Vive support. Highly recommended to all!

Makes me more than a little sad that this guy can make a truly astounding mod (less than a week after he received his Vive), but the Automobolista guys and rFactor guys take sport in trolling their fans with all the reasons its a waste of their resources.

So, getting curious, I know PCARS is a hog but having watched this guys channel on YT "Assetto Corsa" is looking to be more and more my goto sim.

Video covers many aspects but you get an idea of his opinion compared to triples.

I need a need GFX just for general gaming but a 1070 isnt really enough for a future VR solution. Also my budget is really a GTX1060 or RX480 and for racing sims in general it seems Nvidia produce the better framerates.

While 2D is going more and more towards image quality with HDR monitors and 4K or 21:9 it makes it even harder to put up with the reported image quality in VR. Great to get the immersion but is pretty darn expensive to enjoy it currently.

I don't really feel like were getting a 2nd gen for another 18 - 24 months. Also feel like eye tracking and foveated rendering will be #1 on their feature list. Feel like rendering requirements won't be so stupidly insane as a result. Plus, ideally, Nvidia isn't lying with their marketing and they truly can reduce overhead. 1070 might have a bit longer legs than expected if true.

If we're talking the here and now, the 1070 offers the ability to use super sampling. Which hugely helps.

Having said all that, if it's truly between 1060 and 480, the 1060 routinely whips the 480 in every single VR benchmark I see. I feel like it's a no-brainer if VR is the primary upgrade reason. And if Nvida ever releases their mythical VR enhancements (skeptical, of course), the gap would widen considerably.

The nVidia VR features have to be used by game engines, if not no improvement. It is not magic. The features are there, but it takes time and a lot of rendering pipeline changes.

The nVidia VR features have to be used by game engines, if not no improvement. It is not magic. The features are there, but it takes time and a lot of rendering pipeline changes.

I hear that. I'm simply implying that Nvida often makes these huge claims when launching a new line of cards and then they magically disappear into the void. I'm not sure there's a company in the world who does more bombastic hyperbole than those guys.

Supposedly all of those features are being added to the Unity game engine and they're going to be checkboxes a developer can enable/disable (the Nvidia guy who worked on Everest detailed this in a Unite 2016 Europe talk.) Still, I've been burned enough by Nvidia features that magically disappeared that I believe nothing they say until it's deployed in real products.

Yes the immersion does seem to be really good when you see/here most peoples reports.
Can I ask about the VR audio, is it anything special compared to a decent surround system or normal headset?

I kinda hope but wouldnt rule out possible a price reduction or an updated headset within 2017 even if the current cost of GPUs is rather crazy and outdated as the top tier within about 10 months.

Sony could well sell, more than Oculus or Vive and as yet the current combined costs a decent PC with high end card and VR Headset is close to £2000 system.

Sony will do that (in a less impressive way) for less than 1/2 the price.
So I see Vive/Oculus needing to do something to bring VR more mainstream to the PC communnity. Espically if 3rd Party developers like Codemasters support new titles in VR for both console/PC.

Don't tell the word "Sony" to a Fanatec CSW owner... I will never buy anything coming from Sony anymore after the CSW V2 support U-turn...

And AC is far from running at 60 fps on a PS4, so for VR, we are still far from the 100% 60 fps requirement

Don't tell the word "Sony" to a Fanatec CSW owner... I will never buy anything coming from Sony anymore after the CSW V2 support U-turn...

And AC is far from running at 60 fps on a PS4, so for VR, we are still far from the 100% 60 fps requirement

Both have nothing to do with how VR will sell for Sony and VR will grow beyond just "PC Technerds" :). We already see it with Gear VR and 360 video experiences. For mass market adoption PC needs to drop the price-point. It will happen too.

Fanatec NEVER had official PS license, it was never guaranteed to be supported beyond some titles that specifically added support for such.

Yes the immersion does seem to be really good when you see/here most peoples reports.
Can I ask about the VR audio, is it anything special compared to a decent surround system or normal headset?

Not really. It just takes on added importance since the worlds themselves now envelope you in 360 degrees. So it's obviously important that sounds source from their actual location if you don't want the player to have a disconnect from it. That describes a lot of VR, though. A lot of work, that if done properly, goes unnoticed. But if not done, is noticed by the subconscious and disrupts the illusion.

About sound it's a little bit the same as nVidia VR specific features. Developers have to use VR specific audio plugins to take full advantage of the fact that in VR, you are moving the two microphones all the time which introduces offset that our brain is using to understand where noises come from. This is why when we hear an unknown sound, we are "looking" at various directions looking for the sound origin. Doing that, we are able to change the sound to ears incoming angle and that helps our brain to do some biological trigonometry. Oculus provides its own 3D sound API I guess. Most of the time, games assume that you can cheat a little bit because the microphone will not turn that much relatively to its owner (character, vehicle) but when developers then add VR support, sometimes it needs a little bit more work to get all the sound direction and occlusion more realistic.

Tl;dr : Headphones are the best for VR.

Last edited:

Rift CV1 owner here: running Assetto Corsa with a GTX970, supersampling set at 1.5, AA 2x, world detail high (not ultra), post processing off, grid of 12 cars, no issues at all. The immersion is massive. Glorious 3D and scale. Yes, it's still pixelated, but you are THERE. Every time. Won't go back to 2D monitors!

Rift CV1 owner here: running Assetto Corsa with a GTX970, supersampling set at 1.5, AA 2x, world detail high (not ultra), post processing off, grid of 12 cars, no issues at all. The immersion is massive. Glorious 3D and scale. Yes, it's still pixelated, but you are THERE. Every time. Won't go back to 2D monitors!

Hey thanks, I enjoy this guys videos, although it is with rift.

Any chance some of you doing a thread where several of you owners, be it Vive or Oculus can discuss your expereinces in more detail? All with your varying PC hardware and GPUs. This could help cover the top racing titles and the framerates with VR your getting. Also general scores you feel each sim currently deserves within the VR experience?

Im at the point of buying a GPU for my early summer PC build but while considering 1060/1070. I think I may as well just get a stop gap card (1060 3GB) for my current 1080p gaming and upgrade later.

The reason for this is that it would likely be 2017 before I buy VR and really I think we need a Titan X type performance for the price of the current 1080. Even if AMD come out with a 1080 performance level card they always seem to fair worse in "Sim Racing" titles.

Oh and another thing, SLI with VR whats the craik, how many titles support it or offer good results with say 2x 1070?
Its stuff like this "Inside Sim Racing" should be covering but really they are very poor when it comes to GPU coverage. Bit of a shame as its hard to find many reviews that are based from a Sim Racing perspective, including detailed tests or reviews with VR / 1080 /1440 / 4K / 21:9 / Triples.

Back