Huge time difference, gr4 Kyoto..?

• Thread starter Foxis
  • 189 comments
I am using DS4 at the moment whilst my PC rig is being re built and have managed a 1:42.100 with no assists. This is in the GTR with TC on 0. I am around .500 off this with the Cayman with TC on 1 or 2. It is as you say, a lot less calm and more on the edge though. Trying to do it every lap is sometimes quite hard. I am going to be using my T300 later this week so it'll be interesting to see what time difference there is.

I am using DS4 at the moment whilst my PC rig is being re built and have managed a 1:42.100 with no assists. This is in the GTR with TC on 0. I am around .500 off this with the Cayman with TC on 1 or 2. It is as you say, a lot less calm and more on the edge though. Trying to do it every lap is sometimes quite hard. I am going to be using my T300 later this week so it'll be interesting to see what time difference there is.

As a controller user with also no assists , I can totally appreciate that kind of lap time because as we have both said... you have to be oin the edge and theres no way you can do that every lap in a race, or very rarely.

I'd love to see a video of that lap though on the controller, because clearly I am either not attacking the 3 slow corners down the hill enough, OR I'm losing to much time from using automatic.

BTW if you save the replay of the race, when you watch it back it is possible to activate the HUD, then cycle through the field and look at the flashing lights which are the tell tales when an assist is active.

It is also worth searching replays under online time trial, pick the track you want, the guys with the fast laps may have uploaded something...

As a controller user with also no assists , I can totally appreciate that kind of lap time because as we have both said... you have to be oin the edge and theres no way you can do that every lap in a race, or very rarely.

I'd love to see a video of that lap though on the controller, because clearly I am either not attacking the 3 slow corners down the hill enough, OR I'm losing to much time from using automatic.

Using auto will be a massive hinderance mate. I would say that race pace is more like 1:43.XXX for me in the GTR because then you can maintain it consistently. If i try and push to do 1:42.xxx in the race i end up making mistakes because I can't keep it up every corner on every lap.

The main areas I found is the left right left after the downhill section. Getting on the power before the first apex but you need to be on the perfect line to do this and the long left handers, carrying lots of speed in and getting on the gas really early without running wide. These areas there seems to be huge amounts of time to be gained.

Just to add: I'm of the opinion that the GTR is super easy to get on the power early and stay on it which is where the lap times come from. I can't match my times in the GTR with anything else yet. I'm close with Cayman but not quite there yet

Using auto will be a massive hinderance mate. I would say that race pace is more like 1:43.XXX for me in the GTR because then you can maintain it consistently. If i try and push to do 1:42.xxx in the race i end up making mistakes because I can't keep it up every corner on every lap.

The main areas I found is the left right left after the downhill section. Getting on the power before the first apex but you need to be on the perfect line to do this and the long left handers, carrying lots of speed in and getting on the gas really early without running wide. These areas there seems to be huge amounts of time to be gained.

I tried manual for about 10 minutes on the controller and got to a 1:44.6 I think, but at no point did I think I'd be able to keep improving and actually make the gains needed soon enough.

I mapped the gearing to L1/R1 because it feels easier to remember but it meant that under braking I was constantly finding myself focusing more on the braking and then not gearing down correctly, or trying to gear down correctly but missing my braking...

Like it felt that there was too much for me to process.

That's the thing about auto that I always loved, even though you absolutely give up pace, it also frees up thinking time to allow better racecraft imo.

but yeah i really should try manual in the long term I guess, maybe mapping it to the standard X and square.

as for that left right left... it's honestly the bane of my existence right now...

And it's where I'm losing the most time on my 1:43.0 , like I usually brake before the 150 board ( I think, weak ABS btw) so I can throw it in... but I start realising there's bundles of time to be gained by braking a little bit later, and then almost completely cutting the second corner kerb.

Idk. itll be a different track tomorrow anyway.

I suppose different people prefer different things. Other than this last 2 weeks I haven't used a DS4 for a racing game/sim in years but have always had the shifting mapped to x and square when I did. I think the major thing with auto is you can't control the inertia and weight of the car as much by changing down when you want, you can't short shift up for better traction and you can't choose what gear to be in for a given corner.

The left right left is a tricky section though for sure. I found when you are approaching low 1:4X.XXX lap times it either flows through there perfect or its disaster and you're just doing everything you can to avoid the outside wall :lol:

Stock setup or tuned on the Cayman?

I went with Max/Min downforce today and it seemed to turn in a lot better, though I later upped the rest downforce by 50 points for stability.

My best is a 45.9

I suppose different people prefer different things. Other than this last 2 weeks I haven't used a DS4 for a racing game/sim in years but have always had the shifting mapped to x and square when I did. I think the major thing with auto is you can't control the inertia and weight of the car as much by changing down when you want, you can't short shift up for better traction and you can't choose what gear to be in for a given corner.

The left right left is a tricky section though for sure. I found when you are approaching low 1:4X.XXX lap times it either flows through there perfect or its disaster and you're just doing everything you can to avoid the outside wall :lol:

The amount of times I've come out of Sector 1 at 26.0 and then sector 2 with a 44.1ish and I'm thinking to myself "damn this could be a 1:42.XXX here, I'm on for a good one!" and then I get to the downhill section, outbrake myself and end up backwards in the wall, or brake too early and lose half a second and watch my ghost drive off into the sunset...

There's been a lot of loud abrupt swearing caused by those 3 corners this week.

Has anyone here set a <45 time with a RWD car? If so, did you tune it?

I selected Ferrari for the constructors championship, so I run those in the "Dailies" as well. I think my lap times are hurting partly due to not having the perfect lines down, but also due to having quite a bit of downforce to help through the high-speed curves.
Alfa 4C Gr.4 here, have a 1:43.4 as qualify time.

I got my T300RS GT yesterday and I guess I’m still getting used to it. I haven’t been able to beat my fast lap on the DS4 yet but I got close by running a looser setup. No consistency on the races but that should change.

My fast lap on the controller (1:44.1) was with countersteer enabled where I disabled it for my wheel. I think this is due to the firmware needing updating but through the fast esses if I hit the curbing wrong it yanks the wheel out of my hands and starts spinning out. Hopefully the update fixed that. It reminds me of the time I was club racing on R6 motorcycle and I didn’t rebuild my steering dampener. I went thru a high speed corner full throttle which caused my front wheel to float a bit and I had a tank slapper for about a quarter mile at 100+ mph. Scared the **** out of me lol.

If I can’t manage 1:42’s with the wheel I’ll be bummed. I’ll mess with the FF settings tonight and more tweaking to my setup.

Got to 1:43 with the GTR but I think I'll stop right there and be satisfied for the time being. Trying to chase those 1:42's can turn into some nasty obsession and I won't get much racing done. :D

Btw, why aren't the qualifying times saved for time trial?

I use a ds4 and auto trans too. Hit a mid 1:43 with the GTR and a mild setup (lower front ride height) with no special gearing. I'm in no way reaching the top rpm in 6th gear, so I think that can help out a little. I wonder if roll bars and camber are a factor as it should be irl? I haven't messed with them either.

I use a ds4 and auto trans too. Hit a mid 1:43 with the GTR and a mild setup (lower front ride height) with no special gearing. I'm in no way reaching the top rpm in 6th gear, so I think that can help out a little. I wonder if roll bars and camber are a factor as it should be irl? I haven't messed with them either.

from what I remember, i have a tonne of negative camber, super high rake and i've set my gearing to top out at 148 in the straights and be toward acceleration.

and maxed out downforce too, with a pretty stiff car.

weak abs, no TC, no countersteer on a controller with auto and my best is a 1:43.0 right now, with potential for a 1:42.6 if I keep it together.

The problem is keeping it together though... like... it's ridiculous, and in races i usually range from 1:43.8s to 1:45s depending on drivers behind putting pressure on and being forced to defend or not.

from what I remember, i have a tonne of negative camber, super high rake and i've set my gearing to top out at 148 in the straights and be toward acceleration.

and maxed out downforce too, with a pretty stiff car.

weak abs, no TC, no countersteer on a controller with auto and my best is a 1:43.0 right now, with potential for a 1:42.6 if I keep it together.

The problem is keeping it together though... like... it's ridiculous, and in races i usually range from 1:43.8s to 1:45s depending on drivers behind putting pressure on and being forced to defend or not.
I use max front downforce and the rear is around 15-20 clicks higher than the minimum. I like turn in but the GTR seems to understeer for me. What kind of lsd for it do you run?

I use max front downforce and the rear is around 15-20 clicks higher than the minimum. I like turn in but the GTR seems to understeer for me. What kind of lsd for it do you run?

God I don't know If I can remember off hand tbh, as I'm at work right now.

I think in that section its something like 5 & 5, then maybe 40 on the value underneath.

But I honestly am not sure.

Also I just read that there's a transmission bug if you don't drive out in the warm up every race.

As someone that never does the warm up, I can't believe I didn't notice this sooner.

Stock setup or tuned on the Cayman?

Sorry I was mistaken. I was .5 or so off my GTR time with the Cayman but forgot that I'd bettered the GTR time since then. So I guess that would put the Cayman time at 1:43.2xx. Sorry not near the PS4 to check.

I got my T300RS GT yesterday and I guess I’m still getting used to it. I haven’t been able to beat my fast lap on the DS4 yet but I got close by running a looser setup. No consistency on the races but that should change.

My fast lap on the controller (1:44.1) was with countersteer enabled where I disabled it for my wheel. I think this is due to the firmware needing updating but through the fast esses if I hit the curbing wrong it yanks the wheel out of my hands and starts spinning out. Hopefully the update fixed that. It reminds me of the time I was club racing on R6 motorcycle and I didn’t rebuild my steering dampener. I went thru a high speed corner full throttle which caused my front wheel to float a bit and I had a tank slapper for about a quarter mile at 100+ mph. Scared the **** out of me lol.

If I can’t manage 1:42’s with the wheel I’ll be bummed. I’ll mess with the FF settings tonight and more tweaking to my setup.
Just keep practicing, your not just gonna go faster easy because you got a wheel. The wheel takes allot of skill as wel. Just different ones.

If the wheel gets yanked to hard tone down the ffb, it shouldnt do that when hittin a curb.

Don't worry, I am not easily offended. ;)
I know I am way off pace, and started this thread as I can definitely see where I can find a 2-3 seconds on the lap. But not 6+.
As someone suggested aids being used with extreme setups I became concerned that this would trickle down through all classes.

That's where I come from. I have no problem being slower than others (I am certainly no alien). I just want to be beaten fairly. :)

I believe driving aids are made availible for a reason - to help. And to be honest you might be exactly who they are intended for. Doesn’t it make sense that if you are struggling for pace than the aids that are provided in game to help you be competitive and make it a better experience for you should be used, and if you don’t than thats 100% on you and not anyone else?

Driving aids seem to be some kind of dirty word, and maybe it’s some kind of moral high ground at play but why not use them to be more competitive. It’s not wrong or immoral, it’s smart and as intended. If you decide to put a moral code on it than that’s on you too, not the game, not the other players, you. And that’s fine, but you can’t expect everyone else to change because of that.

I’m currently using the exact same setup to get into the 142’s as I used when I was starting in the 148/9’s and a good 6 seconds off competitive pace, but I didn’t blame others than, or think it unfair, I understood that it’s on me to get better, learn the track and grind those seconds down with everything availible to me. That’s smart, right?

I don’t complain about racing against guys and girls using wheels even though that is, on average, a far greater advantage than any driving aids offered by the game will ever be and that’s completely fine. If it actually effected my enjoyment of the game I’d have a wheel too, but it doesn’t because Sport is never even, it’s about finding every fair advantage and just because you may have an issue with someone’s setup or driving technique allowed within the sport than that doesn’t mean it’s unfair. Right?

Sorry I was mistaken. I was .5 or so off my GTR time with the Cayman but forgot that I'd bettered the GTR time since then. So I guess that would put the Cayman time at 1:43.2xx. Sorry not near the PS4 to check.
Fair enough.

I’m busting my 🤬 to get a 45.9 and can’t seem to get any lower. Right now that puts me 12/12 on the grid for every race :indiff:

Edit: Just did a 45.5 but it’s on the ragged edge, won’t be able to pull that off in a race.

Last edited:
Seems most time is made in those long left hand turns. If you can spend more time full throttle in those turns, that will give you a few tenths. And then that hard braking downhill into the chicane, if you can get that turn right by nearly cutting the right curb, you can get that good run out of it clipping the left curb. Putting that together with the rest of the lap is the thing that is eluding me. I haven't had much practice though honestly.

Don't worry, I am not easily offended. ;)
I know I am way off pace, and started this thread as I can definitely see where I can find a 2-3 seconds on the lap. But not 6+.
As someone suggested aids being used with extreme setups I became concerned that this would trickle down through all classes.

That's where I come from. I have no problem being slower than others (I am certainly no alien). I just want to be beaten fairly. :)

That's the neat part about the on line matching system used by GTS.

I am one of the old slow guys and I see some of the times people are running and I do not care what aids I turn on I do not envision myself matching those time sheets or even being close to matching them. I am amazed at some of the times they turn.

But the times they are turning is not really affecting my on line racing experience, the online matching system is putting me with drivers close to my level. sometimes there will be some a few seconds faster and some even a couple of seconds slower in lap times mixed in but there always seems to be enough within a few tenths of my own time that I have the potential for having a good race for positions from the drop of the green to the waving of the checkered.

Also many times during race conditions the choices you make in dealing with traffic and avoiding racing incidents has more to do with how you place than what lap time you can turn on an empty track with the perfect unobstructed line available.

I personally only use normal abs and traction control of either 1 or 2 depending on car and track, all other aids off. Just what I like using, what others use is up to them, the matchmaking system still puts me with drivers that are running about the same times I am regardless of what aids they use to run those times so why should I really care?

When you hit the track a 1:45 is a 1:45 whether turned with or without aids.

Sure like anyone else I like to win occasionally but if I have good competition and start 10th and finish 7th I have had just as much fun and advanced my position from the start which I count as an accomplishment.

I do feel like that I am getting better, getting faster and making better decisions regarding dealing with the race traffic. This is what I think this game has as its strong point is that it pushes it players to become better, faster, smarter racers and the racers will see their advancements in future results.

I did jump on the GTR bandwagon this past week in the weekly races and even though I got a couple of wins with the car I really did not enjoy driving it.

I switched back to driving my Viper and I may not have won but I have really enjoyed driving it and I have finished decent and felt more accomplishment with every GTR I beat. Actually it was a good lesson in enjoying the game for what you like versus being to worried of how you place.

What someone else is able to turn for laps should not affect your racing at all, it just shows that you like I have a lot of work to do! But I plan on having fun gaining every tenth of a second to those fast guys times!

Seems most time is made in those long left hand turns. If you can spend more time full throttle in those turns, that will give you a few tenths. And then that hard braking downhill into the chicane, if you can get that turn right by nearly cutting the right curb, you can get that good run out of it clipping the left curb. Putting that together with the rest of the lap is the thing that is eluding me. I haven't had much practice though honestly.
For the long left-handers I am usually in high 3rd to mid 4th gear, feel like I’m nearing the limits of grip there.

The one corner that I know I can improve on is the hairpin just before the final sector (50R). I haven’t found a good line through there yet, I typically brake when I cross the 50R marking on the road. It’s tricky to get the power down on exit with TCS1, but TCS2 bogs the car down too much.

I think I get now why the Sport Mode events stay live for a few days, Polyphony are encouraging you to keep working on a track and car combo until you gradually improve. If the event list shuffled daily people may not learn as much as they’d have to hop around from track to track without putting the time in to master a single one.

@Matt368 could you share a replay of a Cayman Lap when you have some spare time? I wouldn’t mind looking at your lines/inputs to see where I’m dropping the most time.

TCG
I believe driving aids are made availible for a reason - to help. And to be honest you might be exactly who they are intended for. Doesn’t it make sense that if you are struggling for pace than the aids that are provided in game to help you be competitive and make it a better experience for you should be used, and if you don’t than thats 100% on you and not anyone else?

Driving aids seem to be some kind of dirty word, and maybe it’s some kind of moral high ground at play but why not use them to be more competitive. It’s not wrong or immoral, it’s smart and as intended. If you decide to put a moral code on it than that’s on you too, not the game, not the other players, you. And that’s fine, but you can’t expect everyone else to change because of that.

I’m currently using the exact same setup to get into the 142’s as I used when I was starting in the 148/9’s and a good 6 seconds off competitive pace, but I didn’t blame others than, or think it unfair, I understood that it’s on me to get better, learn the track and grind those seconds down with everything availible to me. That’s smart, right?

I don’t complain about racing against guys and girls using wheels even though that is, on average, a far greater advantage than any driving aids offered by the game will ever be and that’s completely fine. If it actually effected my enjoyment of the game I’d have a wheel too, but it doesn’t because Sport is never even, it’s about finding every fair advantage and just because you may have an issue with someone’s setup or driving technique allowed within the sport than that doesn’t mean it’s unfair. Right?

That's the neat part about the on line matching system used by GTS.

I am one of the old slow guys and I see some of the times people are running and I do not care what aids I turn on I do not envision myself matching those time sheets or even being close to matching them. I am amazed at some of the times they turn.

But the times they are turning is not really affecting my on line racing experience, the online matching system is putting me with drivers close to my level. sometimes there will be some a few seconds faster and some even a couple of seconds slower in lap times mixed in but there always seems to be enough within a few tenths of my own time that I have the potential for having a good race for positions from the drop of the green to the waving of the checkered.

Also many times during race conditions the choices you make in dealing with traffic and avoiding racing incidents has more to do with how you place than what lap time you can turn on an empty track with the perfect unobstructed line available.

I personally only use normal abs and traction control of either 1 or 2 depending on car and track, all other aids off. Just what I like using, what others use is up to them, the matchmaking system still puts me with drivers that are running about the same times I am regardless of what aids they use to run those times so why should I really care?

When you hit the track a 1:45 is a 1:45 whether turned with or without aids.

Sure like anyone else I like to win occasionally but if I have good competition and start 10th and finish 7th I have had just as much fun and advanced my position from the start which I count as an accomplishment.

I do feel like that I am getting better, getting faster and making better decisions regarding dealing with the race traffic. This is what I think this game has as its strong point is that it pushes it players to become better, faster, smarter racers and the racers will see their advancements in future results.

I did jump on the GTR bandwagon this past week in the weekly races and even though I got a couple of wins with the car I really did not enjoy driving it.

I switched back to driving my Viper and I may not have won but I have really enjoyed driving it and I have finished decent and felt more accomplishment with every GTR I beat. Actually it was a good lesson in enjoying the game for what you like versus being to worried of how you place.

What someone else is able to turn for laps should not affect your racing at all, it just shows that you like I have a lot of work to do! But I plan on having fun gaining every tenth of a second to those fast guys times!

Great informative posts to read 👍 I totally agree with your opinions on the assists subject.. Well said Guys! :cheers:

Agree, and I feel the same. My endorphins are at the max level when I finish last position in a very intense and clean race in which everyone was very close, while I can be very frustrated finishing top #3 in a dirty race with unfair behaviors.

I did some racing tonight and I swear there's some form of boost going on. I can't verify it, but from my viewpoint it feels like it. I run first place and the gap doesn't increase even with me running faster and faster laps. But I get pushed back to 5th or 6th or something and I'm catching the top group handily. The guys I were racing against were quick, but none of them had a faster lap than me. Yet when I gap them after a lap and a half, they're right on my tail again and the 2nd place guy puts me in the wall in the first left hand turn. That should have been it, I lost 5-10 second easily. But at the same place the very next (and final) lap, I'm back up to 4th from 6th and less than a second from the top 3 battle. Anyone experience something similar? I could see if it happened when 2nd place was faster than me but he was in a pack with 2nd-5th and they were all catching me. Maybe they were bump drafting, but this isn't blue moon!

Fair enough.

I’m busting my 🤬 to get a 45.9 and can’t seem to get any lower. Right now that puts me 12/12 on the grid for every race :indiff:

Edit: Just did a 45.5 but it’s on the ragged edge, won’t be able to pull that off in a race.

What DR/SR are you? I'm a D/S and 1:44.9 is putting me 2nd/3rd on grid everytime. Not for much longer though I won 3 of them next race I will be a C so it will be back to 12/12 :P

Back