Huge time difference, gr4 Kyoto..?

• Thread starter Foxis
  • 189 comments
.. And cutting over grass at the shikane. That should be penalised for a tiny bit of realism. Or make the tires go bad off track..

Drivers will always find any exploit to go faster, whether in virtual or real driving. What point is it complaining? Make cutting grass slow you down and he's still going to be faster.

Never said it’s cheating. It’s just a pain to have to deal with extremely loose cars in the hands of average/poorly skilled drivers throwing their cars in corners and forcing you to either steer away from them or be pushed off the track. You end up catching them once they spin but it makes the races less civilized. You can tap cars with a relatively minor hit on your SR.

Still it’s ok if it stays like this. I’ll deal with it.

Is this what's happening when I see people going 90 degree sideways then they manage to get back on line and lose hardly anything? Loose set ups with driving aids to compensate?

Is this what's happening when I see people going 90 degree sideways then they manage to get back on line and lose hardly anything? Loose set ups with driving aids to compensate?

Could be the case. TCS can help you recover to a certain degree but not that much. It would slow you down.

Drivers will always find any exploit to go faster, whether in virtual or real driving. What point is it complaining? Make cutting grass slow you down and he's still going to be faster.

Of cource.. He just plays the game as its offered. I mean it should be punished to add some challenge by making people stick to curbs instead of grass. Not saying HE should be punished - WE should be punishes. :cheers:

Here is one of the fastest GT drivers ever lapping 1:40.XXX (in race) with no assists besides

Well thats a normal racing line 👍 This is what I understand.

Lot of acceleration, I think Gtr is faster in the last sector if tuned correctly. There's a lot of potential in GTR but long straight is no match. :bowdown:

I actually like the countersteer assist feel on this game as it makes for more laid back racing..

Thats the same feeling I got too. Tried it yesterday and it certainly makes it easier in some corners. I feel kind of a small push in slow corners not sure if it could make the car faster really though, but it kind of feels like it.

I don't think anymore that countersteering makes you faster, it's just easier. And about those loose setups.. I tried to turn my setup upside down and make the car really silly and you can still be reasobly fast quite easily. That's not making the racing laid back in my opinion if there's all kind of loose cannons in a race.

Last edited by a moderator:
My best is a 42.1 on DS4 with @MINKIHL 's amazing setup. Had to use every last bit of curb, and a bit more in the chicane :lol:. Was in the top 10 for a few hours, my first time ever that high on a GT leaderboard :D!

I've been focusing my efforts on this race. On a stock tune I could achieve a 1:44 flat. With a tune I'm using via this forum I can do a 1:43.5. maybe faster with different lines. Still thought I'd perhaps be closer. Ideally I need to learn off a ghost. I'll be testing countersteer assist tonight.

My best is a 42.1 on DS4 with @MINKIHL 's amazing setup. Had to use every last bit of curb, and a bit more in the chicane :lol:. Was in the top 10 for a few hours, my first time ever that high on a GT leaderboard :D!

I tried his setup but it doesn't work for me. Tweaked my own setup and now I could understand 1:41.XXX laps, I just can't get the gearing right.

I tried his setup but it doesn't work for me. Tweaked my own setup and now I could understand 1:41.XXX laps, I just can't get the gearing right.

I'm actually using his Dragon Trial setup instead of the Kyoto one. It's golden. Try it and maybe you'll find that one better too.

ABS and TCS should be allowed as they are also in real life. Also, considering that TCS 1 is something like useless (almost no change from 0) and TCS 2 kicks in too much, slowing the car, I found that best option for me, also with MR cars, is to set ABS "mild", TCS 0 and nothing else.
And nope, not have tried the countersteer aid and never gonna do probably, unless in 1 year from now PD will keep it safe in the rules for official championships.

Of cource.. He just plays the game as its offered. I mean it should be punished to add some challenge by making people stick to curbs instead of grass. Not saying HE should be punished - WE should be punishes. :cheers:

Thing is it can actually be tricky to cut across grass and it's always a risk, just like it would be in real life. It's not hard for an inexperienced driver to lose control of the car when going over these curbs (just like on many tracks). Also, the rule is that you can't have all 4 wheels off the curb which he doesn't. So you would have to change it to all 4 wheels inside the white lines at all times, seems a bit harsh..

So I turned on countersteer assist and switched my setup slightly and can now do a 1:42.5. a second faster than before

I think i will try the countersteer assist today after work if tbe tracks haven't changed. I mean if everyone is doin it i may aswell try it atleast

I will post my results here. So far i am getting consistent low 144s with a ds4 and feel i could break i to tbe 143s witb a perfect lap and/or some more fine tuning. Will try with the assist before i change anything else.

ABS and TCS should be allowed as they are also in real life. Also, considering that TCS 1 is something like useless (almost no change from 0) and TCS 2 kicks in too much, slowing the car, I found that best option for me, also with MR cars, is to set ABS "mild", TCS 0 and nothing else.
And nope, not have tried the countersteer aid and never gonna do probably, unless in 1 year from now PD will keep it safe in the rules for official championships.

I tried TCS at level 2 in the Gt.3 race quali yesterday, a little setup work to make the most of it, saw my laptime drop from 1:58.4 (No TCS) to 1:56.8

On power at corner exit it is actually allowing the car to rotate quickly without the risk of a spin ;) which feels odd, but chops lap time.

I have yet to try the counter steer thing, it’s not really something that interests me.

Aside: How can using anything that the game openly offers to everyone be considered cheating? However I do hope that sport mode will offer some events that lock them out!

Far to many people worrying about what others are doing, rather than the thing they actually have control of, themselves.

Key point for me: I have no interest in using certain aids as I feel as if I am cheating myself when using them. I feel an integral part of racing is the management of weight distribution and forces resulting from braking and accelerating.

Which means it's not particularly fun when racing online against people who basically switch anything on to help them go faster, instead of focusing on their own skill.

It becomes a choice of:
1) Race the way I want to (ie. without aids to build skill) and place poorly
2) Abandon the way I want to race to have a chance to place well against pad warriors with all assist on

I'd rather have PD just separate the wheat from the chaff... :)

Far to many people worrying about what others are doing, rather than the thing they actually have control of, themselves.

I agree. People like to look for excuses that confirm anything other than the fact they need to drive faster, whether it be with or without aids.

Same as the GTR thing. The fact is that most people use the GTR because it seems to be the better car for most people. It shouldn't be frowned upon if most of the top 10 are driving a GTR or if the race winners are mostly GTRs. You can drive whatever you like and if you never beat a GTR then that isn't anyone's fault but your own.

It's the same game for everyone.

Which means it's not particularly fun when racing online against people who basically switch anything on to help them go faster, instead of focusing on their own skill.

Although I agree with you and actually share your opinion about the two choices, it is still up to the individual how they choose to race. You can't change that but you can improve your own driving and do the best you can whether they are using all aids or not.

Although I agree with you and actually share your opinion about the two choices, it is still up to the individual how they choose to race. You can't change that but you can improve your own driving and do the best you can whether they are using all aids or not.

Of course. The options are there and some will use them, and they have the right to.

However, I still think they are cheating themselves, and others by not adhering to the stated spirit of the game. They are exploiting the system. Again, they can, but it does not mean we have to be happy about it.

My position is that I hope PD will clamp down on this and restrict aids in Sport mode.

Thing is it can actually be tricky to cut across grass and it's always a risk, just like it would be in real life. It's not hard for an inexperienced driver to lose control of the car when going over these curbs (just like on many tracks). Also, the rule is that you can't have all 4 wheels off the curb which he doesn't. So you would have to change it to all 4 wheels inside the white lines at all times, seems a bit harsh..
Actually the rule is you cant have 4 wheels of the tarmac. Curbs are not part of the track in regards to tracklimits, the white lines on the tarmac make up the official edge of the track.

But who really cares. If the game dont penalise you for it then its fair game ofcourse.

Of course. The options are there and some will use them, and they have the right to.

However, I still think they are cheating themselves, and others by not adhering to the stated spirit of the game. They are exploiting the system. Again, they can, but it does not mean we have to be happy about it.

My position is that I hope PD will clamp down on this and restrict aids in Sport mode.

Yeah that would be good. Maybe have two races per class, having one with just TCS and one with "open" rules. That way people aren't excluded and they can choose the type of rules they prefer. At the very least I do think a system that shows the aids in use would be good. Similar to RSR lap timing with Assetto Corsa on PC if you are familiar with that.

Can u actually proof this is happening ?

Did probably over 100 laps at Kyoto in the Cayman and managed a 1.45.5. Never went below 1.46 at any other time. Switched to a GTR and on my second lap managed a 1.44.8. Managed sub 1.46 many other times too, so definitely an advantage in that car, even though i prefer the handling of the Cayman.

Watching that video posted on here earlier of the guy doing a 1.40, I can see that I lose 1 second in the first sector and 3 seconds in sector 2 compared to him! Baring in mind sector 2 is just that long left-hander and flat out to the first chicane, that's a crazy amount of time he saves through there. Which car is he driving by the way?

Did probably over 100 laps at Kyoto in the Cayman and managed a 1.45.5. Never went below 1.46 at any other time. Switched to a GTR and on my second lap managed a 1.44.8. Managed sub 1.46 many other times too, so definitely an advantage in that car, even though i prefer the handling of the Cayman.

Watching that video posted on here earlier of the guy doing a 1.40, I can see that I lose 1 second in the first sector and 3 seconds in sector 2 compared to him! Baring in mind sector 2 is just that long left-hander and flat out to the first chicane, that's a crazy amount of time he saves through there. Which car is he driving by the way?

Scirocco

Back