Huge time difference, gr4 Kyoto..?

• Thread starter Foxis
  • 189 comments
It seems to be a big spread between the top times in DR A and the rest of the field. Is it just down to skill, or is there something else going on..?

Would anyone with top times mind sharing what's behind the really fast times?
I am definitely no alien, but with some setup I have gotten down to 1.46 in the gr4 race. That's still 6 seconds from the top times though and I cannot understand where to shave off those 6 seconds.

Definitely not asking for a tune or lap guide, but some pointers would be helpful. Thanks!

It seems to be a big spread between the top times in DR A and the rest of the field. Is it just down to skill, or is there something else going on..?

Would anyone with top times mind sharing what's behind the really fast times?
I am definitely no alien, but with some setup I have gotten down to 1.46 in the gr4 race. That's still 6 seconds from the top times though and I cannot understand where to shave off those 6 seconds.

Definitely not asking for a tune or lap guide, but some pointers would be helpful. Thanks!

Gotta tune, stock setup won’t cut it past 1:46’s.

So far Ive got low 1:44 and steady 1:44s in GT-R. Not much finetuning. Sorting out the gearbox made the biggest difference by far for me. The usual tricks from earlier gt games dont seem to work either - seems to be more about actually getting the speeds and gear ratios right.

Havent quite been able to grasp the fine tuning in GTS yet, and looks like im not the only one..

Last edited:
Able to get 1:43's maximum with the GTR right now. Not much of a tuner and use ds4. Top guys are most likely using wheels and special setups. You can also cut the track in places from previous races and gain time without the penalties affecting your qualifying time. Not sure if that is the case here.

I've just came to look kind of same info. I've managed to get 1:42.5 time on a GTR with my own setup without any driving aids. My best ideal time is 1:42.1 but I just haven't nailed the lap. What I've seen on a race seems are very weird racing lines and and crazy acceleration in some weird places. I think now it comes from a strong counterstreering aid. It just look ridiculous when you're driving without aids against these guys. I think the aid gives more drive to the outside of car to correct it rather than braking the inside which I thought would be the case. Maybe more realistically the acceleration would be better if you're going on a straight line, not while aggressive streering? :confused: Maybe they setup the 4wd cars that way really, I'm not sure.

It's not really fun to race when there's different driving aids with each guy and I can't use any of my lines even when I'm on the lead because out of every corner there's nose coming from the inside because I have to use more smoother lines to get speed out of corners. If I have to battle I lose out of every corner and others don't that much. I think it also takes away the track knowledge because it's much more forgiving with this aid.

As more of your question, you should concentrate on every corner exit because there's always long acceleration in kyoto. You can easily lose half a second in evey exit if you're not precise. I suggest just lapping in qualifying and check at every corner exit are you gaining or losing time. That way you can find the best point to start accelerating. My most gain on setup was just the correct gearing, and I don't think mine is even perfect. All suspension setups I've done here and there doesn't seem to alter my time that much, maybe it takes more effect with driving aid.

Able to get 1:43's maximum with the GTR right now. Not much of a tuner and use ds4. Top guys are most likely using wheels and special setups. You can also cut the track in places from previous races and gain time without the penalties affecting your qualifying time. Not sure if that is the case here.

you can't cut the track in qualifying without penalty

I'm using stock settings with traction control on 3 on a G29 wheel best lap is 1:45 in Veyron and in the race it's self i'm always getting the fastest lap at around 146/147 won 15 races out of 19 so far and only been on Sport mode this weekend

EDIT: And 7 of them was drunk and rest hungover lol

Top guys are most likely using wheels and special setups.
Definetely special tunes and also driving techniques to match each tune at the top. I got to try few of these "alien tunes" during closed beta. Mighty fast but couldnt use them as wasnt able to get even one clean lap for qualifying with my "usual" driving techniques. Just insane turn in / body rotation and cornering speeds, but also extremely easy to throw the car of the track with oversteer.

This might help.

Couple of points there..

What are the gear ratios he is using?! Using just few gears as im using the whole 1-6..

Kinda funny the "applying to actual race" part as he is basically doing just qualifying laps from pole there. I think one defensive line there.. :lol: I think i will post my racing video from mid of the pack here for reference.. Quite a lot more of adapting speed to various situations and leaving space for guys next to me. :cheers:

EDIT:
Here we go..

Few guys pushing it too hard at the last lap - missing brakingpoints and getting some pretty big penalties as they didnt have time to wear them off.

Last edited:
@MOPARbarrett5
Hi Barrett,
thanks for posting the vid 👍 ...
We know each other for a some time now, would you mind posting your quali time ( if you have one ) ?
Would help to sort my own speed. I'm on a mid 42.

... I think now it comes from a strong counterstreering aid. It just look ridiculous when you're driving without aids against these guys. I think the aid gives more drive to the outside of car to correct it rather than braking the inside which I thought would be the case. ...

I heard about that assist ... and it helped improving the laptimes drastically in said case.
Did you test it ?

Did you see people cutting the chicanes in race ? ... just curious.

Last edited:
Couple of points there..

What are the gear ratios he is using?! Using just few gears as im using the whole 1-6..

Kinda funny the "applying to actual race" part as he is basically doing just qualifying laps from pole there. I think one defensive line there.. :lol: I think i will post my racing video from mid of the pack here for reference.. Quite a lot more of adapting speed to various situations and leaving space for guys next to me. :cheers:

EDIT:
Here we go..

Congrats ... fast and clean race. It's hard to overtake here when everyone's at the same pace.
You shouldn't have tried to overtake at the chicane lap 1 :D ... and you always break a little late there 👍 !

Congrats ... fast and clean race. It's hard to overtake here when everyone's at the same pace.
You shouldn't have tried to overtake at the chicane lap 1 :D ... and you always break a little late there 👍 !

Yeah. I wasnt trying to overtake there as i saw he was too much ahead, but missed the brake there and tried to recover without crashing others. Im a bit cautious at braking early for optimal line as usually someone hits you in the rear. Also was very cautious not to close doors from some of the guys to advance my sr. Its funny one has to have defencive line but just wide enough to be defencive on ones SR points too.. :lol:👍

I'm still C driver rank. Got 1:43.4 as best qualify lap on my 4C Gr.4, still not enough to beat GT-Rs. In clean races my pace is 1:43.high to 1:44.mid usually, but mostly I get slowed by fast hotlappers but poor pacing pace.

Rocket joe.

I haven't tried it yet plan to do so this evening. I just realised it was that effect I was seeing. You can transfer your car weight and get it to turn easier with that rather than "normal way" thats where the time comes I'm sure of it. I'm using a controller as I don't have a wheel not sure if it could be exploited with controller.. There was a tuner minkihl in tuning page and he is using it too. Says it gets the car faster. I see things clearly now :D

... Im a bit cautious at braking early for optimal line as usually someone hits you in the rear. Also was very cautious not to close doors from some of the guys to advance my sr. Its funny one has to have defencive line but just wide enough to be defencive on ones SR points too.. :lol:👍

:)
Yes, some new ( and somehow weird ) challenges for the ones that want to do it clean 👍 ...

Rocket joe.

I haven't tried it yet plan to do so this evening. I just realised it was that effect I was seeing. You can transfer your car weight and get it to turn easier with that rather than "normal way" thats where the time comes I'm sure of it. I'm using a controller as I don't have a wheel not sure if it could be exploited with controller.. There was a tuner minkihl in tuning page and he is using it too. Says it gets the car faster. I see things clearly now :D

What a joke, isn't it ?
The case I mentioned, countersteering improved the laptime of a top driver at Dragon Trail in a Gr.4 car at about 1 second. What do we do :odd: ?

Being glad Skid Recovery Force has been skipped, I gotta deal with countersteer assist now.
Great :yuck: !!!

Last edited:
What a joke, isn't it ?
The case I mentioned, countersteering improved the laptime of a top driver at Dragon Trail in a Gr.4 car at about 1 second. What do we do :odd: ?

Yeah, its crazy. The biggest letdown is that it makes equal racing almost impossible because others have to alter their racing lines and others don't. No driving aids means earlier braking because you cant throw it in the corner as much. I don't mind the aids in general but if the physics allow some acceleration advantage in a unlogical way it should be compensated somehow.

What? Are you seriously suggesting that some aids (especially the counter steering aid) results in drastically better lap times?

If so, that is quite frankly a joke and aids should be regulated in Sport races. I am not going to adapt to some technique relying on aids as that might well screw with my overall technique for other sims and RL track days.

I really hope PD is watching this and doing something about it...

I think its possible to go under 1:42 without aids but you can't do those laps consistently. and more so in a race with driving lines crossing. My best sector times were 1:42.1. 1:42.5 is kind of max with traction at least for me
. You have to lose it a bit is some places to gain more time but thats not easy consistently.

So, to be truly competitive you have to..
1) Drive the GTR
2) Tune weirdly
3) Use wacky lines in combination with counter steer assist?

As gorgeous and fun as GTS is, the longing back to iRacing is growing stronger by the minute...

:)
Yes, some new ( and somehow weird ) challenges for the ones that want to do it clean 👍 ...

Somehow weird, but yet so satisfying.. :lol:👍

So, to be truly competitive you have to..
1) Drive the GTR
2) Tune weirdly
3) Use wacky lines in combination with counter steer assist?

As gorgeous and fun as GTS is, the longing back to iRacing is growing stronger by the minute...

Actually i think gtr is not required. It is the easiest to drive though i think. Scirocco is very fast and i have seen few pretty fast renaults. I think theres some alien witchcraft going on with FF setups.

I use the counterstearing to even the playing field against the wheel drivers since I’m on DS4 only. I think that’s fair?

Well, tough luck for me then that likes to race Ferraris. :(
In general I think the "meta" gets quite boring. I'd like to see mixed grids and realistic racing. If people are just gaming the system using one...ok, two...cars to get ahead then it is frankly quite off putting.

TCG
I use the counterstearing to even the playing field against the wheel drivers since I’m on DS4 only. I think that’s fair?

IMHO it's fair to use the aids as intended. But an aid should not give you an advantage. If the rumours regarding weird setups and driving styles being employed and "rescued" by the use of aids, and it all resulting in time gains then that is unfair. Or at least against what PD/GTS is positioning themselves to achieve (simulating real racing).

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow weird, but yet so satisfying.. :lol:👍

Actually i think gtr is not required. It is the easiest to drive though i think. Scirocco is very fast and i have seen few pretty fast renaults. I think theres some alien witchcraft going on with FF setups.

Talk about that VW, I think FF cars should be in diffrent class altogeher, the lines are so different it makes no sense. Just FR class would be great! Let's Make it a MR & FR class :)

Well, tough luck for me then that likes to race Ferraris. :(
In general I think the "meta" gets quite boring. I'd like to see mixed grids and realistic racing. If people are just gaming the system using one...ok, two...cars to get ahead then it is frankly quite off putting.

I tried 458 first and got to 1:44.1 and best partial was 1:43.8. where did you get with that? I don't think it was the optimal yet. I think you can be reasonably fast with it also.

Last edited:
IMHO it's fair to use the aids as intended. But an aid should not give you an advantage. If the rumours regarding weird setups and driving styles being employed and "rescued" by the use of aids, and it all resulting in time gains then that is unfair. Or at least against what PD/GTS is positioning themselves to achieve (simulating real racing).

I do complete agree with you, but PD/GTS has delivered a game that rewards “gaming the system” over real racing simulation.

I think the fact of the matter is PD have delivered a game aimed at casual racers dressed up as a “simulator”. Everything from the flawed SR system to the uneven playing field just contradicts “The real driving simulator” we were expecting.

GTS isn’t for the purists, it’s for the masses.

I think its possible to go under 1:42 without aids but you can't do those laps consistently. and more so in a race with driving lines crossing. My best sector times were 1:42.1. 1:42.5 is kind of max with traction at least for me
. You have to lose it a bit is some places to gain more time but thats not easy consistently.

Good to meet someone on DS4 at a similar pace ;).
I just re-did license 48 for fun with the countersteer assist ... no true test though.
I demolished my old gold time by about 1.5 sec. It sure is a mix of knowing the track better and the basic physics, but as well there is sth to that assist. I'm curious what you'll find out :cheers: !

PS
Got a trophy for it :lol::lol::lol:.

Good to meet someone on DS4 at a similar pace ;).
I just re-did license 48 for fun with the countersteer assist ... no true test though.
I demolished my old gold time by about 1.5 sec. It sure is a mix of knowing the track better and the basic physics, but as well there is sth to that assist. I'm curious what you'll find out :cheers: !

What laps kind of laps can you do in a long run? Its hard for me to do under 1:43 laps because the damn exit speed is so important. I can do 1:43.0 to 1:43.5 lap after lap if I have a good feeling.

What a joke, isn't it ?

Being glad Skid Recovery Force has been skipped, I gotta deal with countersteer assist now.
Great :yuck: !!!

If you cant beat them! join them.. or you could just have a whinge instead
mutley.gif

Back