Huge time difference, gr4 Kyoto..?

• Thread starter Foxis
  • 189 comments
Using a setup and the aids that the game provides is not cheating.

You are technically correct. It is not cheating per se.
However, is certainly contrary to any attempt by PD to simulate racing and make GTS a legitimate e-sport though. As such it is definitely cheating within the context of doing something that is impossible in the RL racing PD seeks to emulate.

Pretty much above. How you claim to be "real driving simulator" and enter also in esports with this affix, and let use a driving aid that makes the car be driven by herself or give unrealistically physic?

I had more fun early on before they enabled custom setups. I was a real challenge to try to extract as much performance as possible from the cars without going over the limit. Now I mostly race offline at the Nords or do hot lapping sessions.

Why its always on or off with you guys hahaha, i olso liked it without tunes because i cant tune but i still have the same fun in a online race ;) dont give up and fiddle with settings like me and you will have the same fun ;)

About aids, it would be nice to have races without aids (accept abs and tcs) at least the races starting 4/5 november......

Never said it’s cheating. It’s just a pain to have to deal with extremely loose cars in the hands of average/poorly skilled drivers throwing their cars in corners and forcing you to either steer away from them or be pushed off the track. You end up catching them once they spin but it makes the races less civilized. You can tap cars with a relatively minor hit on your SR.

Still it’s ok if it stays like this. I’ll deal with it.
Thats true if your not as capable you should not use those setups as it will probably only work against you.

I raced the FR2.0 allot in iRacing. Martin Kronke posted weekly setups for that series. Now this guy is a proper alien who has also won the iRacing WC GP series beating the likes of Gregor Hutu, who is cosidered the Michael Schumacher of sim racing. I tried his setups often but i almost never felt confident to race with them. I could feel the advantage of his setups when absolutly nailing a corner, but also the downsides when your just slightly off.

I consider myself a pretty fast sim racer after 8 years of experience but im no alien and probably never will be. I am usually at the the range of 1-2 sec of their pace. Currently in GTS i notice that gap to be more like 2-3 second. But thats probably down to getting more practice in and getting to know the cars and setups better. That second is there to find for me. But those last 1 or 2 second are just a different ball game all together.

Got a 1:41.7 with an Atenza, with tuning this car comes alive as is very close to the GT-R(not as good in braking but has better speed on straights), the Scirocco is fast because it has the best power to weight ratio by miles so it's miles faster on the straights, as since this track is pretty much a power track it dominates, I reckon at a more technical track it would struggle, compared to the AWDs and the 4C and possibly Citroen GT.

Why its always on or off with you guys hahaha, i olso liked it without tunes because i cant tune but i still have the same fun in a online race ;) dont give up and fiddle with settings like me and you will have the same fun ;)

About aids, it would be nice to have races without aids (accept abs and tcs) at least the races starting 4/5 november......

Excuse my OCD haha! But I do play a little with setups based in what Project Cars 2 has taught me with the race engineer function. But I keep it reasonable. At least I can now corner with my NSX Gr.3.

Got a 1:41.7 with an Atenza, with tuning this car comes alive as is very close to the GT-R(not as good in braking but has better speed on straights), the Scirocco is fast because it has the best power to weight ratio by miles so it's miles faster on the straights, as since this track is pretty much a power track it dominates, I reckon at a more technical track it would struggle, compared to the AWDs and the 4C and possibly Citroen GT.

Would love some setup hints because in the same car I've got down to a 42.9 but finding that to be the limit of my setup...

That NSX is standard indeed a bit weird......

I got a 1:58.6 at Nurb GP and that’s pretty much the best I can do as it starts to eat its tires in a hurry.

Getting off topic sorry!

Last edited:
Able to get 1:43's maximum with the GTR right now. Not much of a tuner and use ds4. Top guys are most likely using wheels and special setups. You can also cut the track in places from previous races and gain time without the penalties affecting your qualifying time. Not sure if that is the case here.

This, Controller/auto here and the best i've managed is a 1:43.0 with potential for an extra 3 tenths but still if you wanna break the 1:41s, you gotta have a wheel.

Funny how I said this from the start and people with wheels wanna act like it's not an advantage, or the way that every sim eventually goes with wheel users starting to take over constantly.

I agree elite wheel drivers will always be faster that the best pad users, but i can beat good wheel users with my ds4 skills. I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the threads i read but i use stick grip/extensions. I know a lot of folks use tbem for shooters but i find them great for driving games. Also i have been racing with a controller for like 25 years so igot lots of practice. :)

This, Controller/auto here and the best i've managed is a 1:43.0 with potential for an extra 3 tenths but still if you wanna break the 1:41s, you gotta have a wheel.

Funny how I said this from the start and people with wheels wanna act like it's not an advantage, or the way that every sim eventually goes with wheel users starting to take over constantly.
The fact is that reaching the 1:42 is using more than 95% of the car, which is where wheel starts to give advantage over the controller. Not getting that far, controller still handles pair as it is more immediate and usually fool-proof. Trust me, I played with both on GT6. Impossible for me to run good drift missions with the wheel, while with DS3 I always got gold with good margin at 1st, 2nd attempt. Thanks also to the "hand of God".

Thats true if your not as capable you should not use those setups as it will probably only work against you.

I raced the FR2.0 allot in iRacing. Martin Kronke posted weekly setups for that series. Now this guy is a proper alien who has also won the iRacing WC GP series beating the likes of Gregor Hutu, who is cosidered the Michael Schumacher of sim racing. I tried his setups often but i almost never felt confident to race with them. I could feel the advantage of his setups when absolutly nailing a corner, but also the downsides when your just slightly off.

I consider myself a pretty fast sim racer after 8 years of experience but im no alien and probably never will be. I am usually at the the range of 1-2 sec of their pace. Currently in GTS i notice that gap to be more like 2-3 second. But thats probably down to getting more practice in and getting to know the cars and setups better. That second is there to find for me. But those last 1 or 2 second are just a different ball game all together.

Again, the problem is not the setups. I have nothing against more extreme setups. The point here is that apparently people are using extreme setups they would not be able to use without counter steer assist. Which is just wrong.

Again, the problem is not the setups. I have nothing against more extreme setups. The point here is that apparently people are using extreme setups they would not be able to use without counter steer assist. Which is just wrong.
I understand. I dont know if that is true but if it is then that is wrong and needs looking into by PD.

As long as the assists are there one has to take advantage of them if wishes to be at the very top. Every game and sport at the very peak level comes down to who can use the given advantages the best.

I have decided i rather enjoy the physics and racing at the level where i dont need help.

In GT6 we were able to see on the boards what aids people had used. We could also
download their replay to study the lap, or follow their ghost. I’m dissapointed we
haven’t got the same features in GTS.
I’m not anti people using aids, I just like to be able to see what has been used.
You could see how you compared to people running the same settings etc.
Hopefully PD will add the info to the boards later.....

In GT6 we were able to see on the boards what aids people had used. We could also
download their replay to study the lap, or follow their ghost. I’m dissapointed we
I’m not anti people using aids, I just like to be able to see what has been used.

Thanks for this comment 👍👍👍 !

I'd also like to have a complete board ( not only top 10 ) - worldwide if possible.

Has anyone had much success with the Porsche Cayman? I’d like to use it as it’s my chosen Manufacturer but I haven’t found a good setup yet (DS4).

1:46 on stock, so maybe with tune it goes bit faster. Porsche is my choice too, will see if I'll make my firsts tune tryouts soon, but not with DS4.
Not much success, but many amazing races.

GTR/Scirocco guys can go fast as they will, I'm sticking on Porsche.

Ok, didn't know that. I tried it one time and my record didn't change.

Not that I tried to cheat :dopey:

It never happened for me before that. I'm guessing it was some kind of bug, It just begs the question how often does it happen and if you were to keep running cheat laps could you expect one to get allowed in a reasonable amount of time? I'm not concerned about it because it is only pole that is effected and I'm sure most people are not cheating in this way.

That exploit using the driver aids though has me shaking my head.

Exactly! Been thinking this too, and really missing the option of downloading ghosts from the quickest drivers.
Can't remember whether that's in iRacing or not, but at least there the qualifying sessions are online as well so you can always check the replays for lines and tricks.

Gran Turismo Rubber Band Edition...
Less assists = slower time for good racers
More assists = faster times for beginners.

=Level playing field EXACTLY what PD went for I believe. How else could they sell so many copies?

Gran Turismo Rubber Band Edition...
Less assists = slower time for good racers
More assists = faster times for beginners.

=Level playing field EXACTLY what PD went for I believe. How else could they sell so many copies?
Is it weird that I don't really care?

My thinking is I don't believe I'm an alien so I'll probably never be competing at the top level anyway. With matchmaking in GT Sport I can play it my way and find an enjoyable race anytime I hop on.

Sure I really wish things were more balanced and there was some indication of where I place in the world. I really like having that kind of benchmark and working on improving my standing so that is something I miss in this game and the idea that slower people can be beating me using assists does get under my skin a little but at the end of the day I can find enjoyable racing and ultimately that's what matters most to me.

1:46 on stock, so maybe with tune it goes bit faster. Porsche is my choice too, will see if I'll make my firsts tune tryouts soon, but not with DS4.
Not much success, but many amazing races.

GTR/Scirocco guys can go fast as they will, I'm sticking on Porsche.
I mainly went with the Porsche so that I could drive the 911 RSR in the Manufacturers Cup; it’s one of the stronger cars in Gr.3 but the Cayman does seem to be a Tier 2 car in Gr.4.

When you have a tune give me a heads up. It’s okay in stock but I reckon the car would do better with a few small tweaks.

I’m only a C/B driver right now so a Top 10 time is beyond my current level of ability anyway. If I can compete with the GT-Rs in C though that would be good :)

For the person in this thread to suggest that the people using driving aids are cheating is pretty ridiculous.. lots of driving sports worldwide use different drivers aids, it's not a new thing to the world of Motorsport :D
This game actually has multiple drivers aids available to choose from... auto braking aids to traction control to abs to countersteer assist.. I mean even the adjustable FFB on your wheel is basically a driver assist! People can set their car up as they like it and what suits their preference or feel from the allowable options!

I'm pretty sure we will get events similar to the GT6 seasonals released where no assists will be allowed whatsoever and a certain tyre compound only and the difficulties will be greater, but in free game mode with all the options open people should be allowed to choose what they want without upsetting the purists ;)

I actually like the countersteer assist feel on this game as it makes for more laid back racing.. but when an event gets posted with tougher driving and locked to no assists I will still take part and for sure I am more than capable of putting down a decent time on most events with some effort! It's not that I need assists I just prefer that kind of smoother event as a whole when free running.. but that's not all the time yeah!

Lots of people have valid points regarding the drivers aids but at the end of the day it's just your view on it and ultimately it's all down to personal choice! Fortunately we still have that as an allowance in this day and age ;)

We will see what happens when an event gets posted with no aids allowed.. In the meantime just let people enjoy the game as they see fit, as long as they are driving clean and respectfully there should be no issue as we all have the same choices 👍

Enjoy your racing guys :cheers:

Here is one of the fastest GT drivers ever lapping 1:40.XXX (in race) with no assists besides ABS.

You might want to watch that video again a little more carefully, I'm not sure what it is called but the closest one to the middle on the right hand side flashes throughout the video.

7HO
You might want to watch that video again a little more carefully, I'm not sure what it is called but the closest one to the middle on the right hand side flashes throughout the video.

That's traction control. It happens when you downshift regardless of if it's off

I got a 1.45.2 as my best time. I've gotten pole position all of my races so far. I think I can be 2-3 seconds quicker if I get the chicanes just right and some of the exit speeds.

I don't know if it's recommended for the best lap time, but for many cars the uphill S curves are a LOT easier with high downforce.

Latest Posts

Back