Hyundai Adds World-First Fingerprint Security to 2019 Santa Fe SUV

So,if you cut someone's finger can you use it in the car?Asking for a friend......

wVb3BuX.gif

More problematic with fingerprint security is that someone can just grab your hand and push your finger onto the scanner. In contrast with something like a password there is an implication either of consent, use of brute force (impractical for many reasons), sheer luck, or incompetence on the part of the password setter (ie. setting the password as password for something which should be more secure)

More problematic with fingerprint security is that someone can just grab your hand and push your finger onto the scanner. In contrast with something like a password there is an implication either of consent, use of brute force (impractical for many reasons), sheer luck, or incompetence on the part of the password setter (ie. setting the password as password for something which should be more secure)
If a thief is stubborn enough to force you to put your finger on the ignition, they're gonna force you to give up a password....

The amount of effort and risk involved in forcing someone to give up a password is considerably greater than that involved in grabbing their hand and putting their finger on a reader.

The amount of effort and risk involved in forcing someone to give up a password is considerably greater than that involved in grabbing their hand and putting their finger on a reader.
I don't see how physically interacting with someone is going to take less effort and risk than trying to get a password out of someone. That really sounds backwards, to be honest.

Uh ok, I force you to give up your password willingly, or I physically put you into your car, and force your hand onto a small sensor.

The system is not designed to prevent a driver from being coerced into starting or operating the vehicle. It's designed to prevent someone from obtaining access to the vehicle (and more likely, the vehicle's electronic systems which include more and more personal data about the owner) when the owner is not present, while not making the process difficult for the owner (such as having to remember a password). The fingerprint has the added benefit of accessing personal preferences and data immediately by identifying the user.

One scenario which immediately jumps to mind that this would help with is to prevent teenagers from stealing keys in the middle of the night to go on a joyride.

You guys are thinking way too hard about edge cases here.

Last edited:
The best solution would be:

• Key
  • Fingerprint
  • Iris scan
  • Voice command
  • password.
Implemented all of these correctly and you can use your car.

:D

Times have changed. I remember in the 80s, my Dad used two of these big industrial chains with Masterlocks, for his '75 Impala and Malibu:
IMG_6222.JPG

One from the steering wheel to the brake pedal and one under the hood. After he had two previous cars stolen('59 Impala and a '76 Malibu), never had a problem using those theft deterrents. :lol:

Back