Hyundai Elantra Sport

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by R1600Turbo, Apr 28, 2016.

1. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

CTznOfTime and carracerptp like this.
  2. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

Sounds like the same engine as used in my long-term Kia Proceed GT. Not a truly quick car (at least not compared to other hot hatches available over here), but it's a nice engine to use and the six-speed gearbox is pretty slick too. Definitely better than the lower-power version of the engine that was in the Hyundai Veloster Turbo.

The87Dodge, Ken and VXR like this.
  3. bremics

bremics

Better than the Corolla Sport.

4. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

That should be a great car. Should be quick-ish but not nuts. Not prime ribeye, but at least you won't have anemia. Would be lovely if it handles well too.

5. Cale

Cale Premium

Pretty sure the rear of this model has been switched to double wishbones. So at least they're trying.

6. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Why aren't they doing a hatch Elantra? or is that the Veloster?

7. bremics

bremics

The Elantra GT was always the hatch.

Grandea GTR likes this.
  8. Grandea GTR

Grandea GTR

Elantra GT / i30 is the hot hatch. And I think they were making an "N" variant of it?

9. sems4arsenal

sems4arsenal Premium

Oh wow, first time I've heard of it, would love an N variant.

10. MrWaflz55

MrWaflz55

I read it might be doing 60 in 8 seconds. Not fast enough for a sport model, but at least it looks nice.

11. bremics

bremics

Semi-related, just drove home in my Elantra service loaner.

Elantra>>>>Corolla.

CTznOfTime likes this.
  12. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

I haven't driven a new Elantra, but I have driven a Corolla and it was not all that exciting and felt quite cheap. But it's super reliable, so that's good enough to sell tons of them, right? :p

13. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

The Corolla is easily one of the worst cars in the sector though. Even the Sentra is better in some ways.

I'm not sure how much of a market there is for a speedy Elantra, but it's good to see Hyundai trying, and I doubt it was a huge investment. The last generation is a hugely common car here, right up there with the Mazda 3. Surely some of those people want a little more pep...

14. Grandea GTR

Grandea GTR

The Corolla tries hard to be something that it can't be.

Well, that can apply to many other cars.

15. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

This car would compete against the likes of the current Civic Si, Jetta GLI, and a certain Nissan of sorts that has yet to be announced.

CTznOfTime likes this.
  16. 05XR8

05XR8

A previous Hyundai buyer will buy one. It has slightly more power than a Mazda3. We'll see if there are any takers with this Audi S7 type styling(from the rear anyway).

17. RocZX

RocZX Premium

18. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Yeah according to that last video, their 0-60 claim of 8 seconds is nowhere near accurate. More like 6-ish.

19. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

20. YSSMAN

YSSMAN Premium

It all sounds fantastic on paper, but I still think Hyundai has a lot of work cut out for them when it comes to a proper ride/handling balance that's actually fun. All of their previous sporting attempts have either been too harsh or too sloppy, and still pack in plenty of understeer compared to the GTI/GLI and ST siblings. I really like the look of this, the price will very likely be a bargain compared to the GLI, but I'm not packing up from the VW camp just yet.

21. catamount39

catamount39

Nice looking car. :tup: Hopefully it's just as fun to drive to match the styling.

Edit: Very glad, VERY GLAD, they kept the wheels. :drool:

22. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

We'll just have to wait and see when the reviews come out. I am loving that interior though.

[​IMG]

CTznOfTime, Doog, Aki Ko and 3 others like this.
  23. 05XR8

05XR8

24. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

I'd say the speedometer probably isn't too accurate in that sweep. My Kia with the same drivetrain as this Elantra isn't anything like a 6-ish second car (officially 7.7sec), and in my experience of two of these things in succession the engines are very tight for the first 10k miles or so, so aren't delivering their best brand new. Dual-clutch 'box might shave a few tenths off, but it'd have to be developing a lot more than the 200-ish horsepower to sneak into the 6-second range.

Incidentally, it's interesting from that video that there doesn't appear to be a subtle sound generator like there is in my car. It's not the most inspiring-sounding engine so I actually quite like the subtle growl that appears in "GT mode".

25. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Depends on if their rating is accurate I guess. We'll see when the reviews start coming out.

In the mean time I keep checking Hyundai's website for the configurator to show up so I can see what the pricing and options are and it's still not up yet.

26. homeforsummer

homeforsummer Premium

Whose rating - Kia's for the Proceed GT, or the 8-ish seconds everyone is bouncing about for the Hyundai?

What I'm saying is that if the Hyundai has the same drivetrain as the Kia, it's not a 6-something car, on paper or on the road. A Focus ST or Golf GTI are 6.5, a Megane 275 or Leon Cupra are six flat. I've driven all of them and all are comfortably quicker than my Kia in a straight line.

Unless the Elantra is more powerful (it's a possibility) or it's significantly lighter (I'd be surprised), I'd expect it to be high-sevens to low-eights on paper and on the road. Maybe a little quicker since American mags tend to do a one-foot rollout when timing stuff which knocks a few tenths off, but I'd be very surprised if it's ST/GTI-quick.

27. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

28. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

You can clearly tell in this video that it needs an LSD. Hopefully an option, but I doubt it.

29. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

CTznOfTime and LMSCorvetteGT2 like this.
  30. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium