Hyundai Elantra Sport

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 97 comments
As far as I know, every single DCT has an automatic mode. I haven't actually experienced one that doesn't have automatic mode as the default behavior.

So from a layman's POV, would it be acceptable to say that DCTs are pretty much today's automatic? I know my dad bought himself a 2015 Sonata with that option to up and down shift in sport mode while the car actively pays attention when to up/down shift on its own. I'm going to guess that car is operating on a DCT as well.

So from a layman's POV, would it be acceptable to say that DCTs are pretty much today's automatic? I know my dad bought himself a 2015 Sonata with that option to up and down shift in sport mode while the car actively pays attention when to up/down shift on its own. I'm going to guess that car is operating on a DCT as well.

I wouldn't say today's in general. I don't think they will ever universally replace planetary type automatics with torque converters, especially with companies like GM and Toyota doubling down on improving old school automatics. Generally I find the new generation of automatics superior to DCT transmissions for most applications to the point where I'm not sure DCTs will survive the fight outside of high-end stuff. I'm not familiar with the Sonata in question, but most automatics (of either type) have some form of manual mode with paddles/buttons at least optional. The rather nice Nissan 7-spd auto (planetary) has the GTR's DCT paddles on cars like the 370z & Q50.

As an example of how good traditional autos have become, have a look/listen at the LC500's 10-speeder:

Last edited:
It's not a bad trans but like most DCT's it's a little clunky when coming to a stop. It's 100% an automatic until you put it in Sport mode and shift it yourself with the paddles. I think you can shift it outside of Sport mode but it's not quite as cooperative. I've only driven one and it wouldn't cooperate with me, which made me even more glad I bought the manual.

You could say that I have the 7-speed version in my 2017 Sonata, but there is a notable difference. When I drive it in auto it goes through the gears with ease. When I'm in the shift mode myself, if I don't shift at a proper time the rev runs higher than normal and then the computer tells the car to shift where I haven't. This is obviously far more clunky than simply having it in regular auto. Also I notice that when I do shift there is a delay, it's not as massive as I've seen in other cars but you can tell it is there.

Also the shift mode is obviously very much geared toward fuel economy that is why I use it at times when I think my normal driving (which is quite hard) isn't saving me the gas I want to save. Hopefully that makes sense. I didn't know the shift mode for previous Sonata were only in sport mode though, I can do it in Eco, Sport or regular.

Smoking Tire had an Elantra Sport on for a One Take. They posted the video today. A few notes I would like to point out:
  • The exhaust pops are something that was added in the tune, the stock car isn't that excessive
  • The car is NOT making 240whp with those mods. Full bolt-ons + tune will net you 250whp and he is definitely not FBO.
  • Another guy focused on power and not even doing something as simple as putting better tires on it. :rolleyes:
My car is scheduled to be reviewed by these guys in March and I have WAY more mods currently and on the way.

I want one of the original generations of this but I have a feeling they'll be hard to find. It's not often I get stuck on a car but I really do love that generation Elantra. It's just the perfect little car that reminds me of back when Civics and Corollas didn't suck and weren't weird.

Back