YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
LLN.com
Hyundai used the 2007 Geneva Motor Show to reveal a new c-segment hatchback called the i30 and a new naming scheme with model lines bearing the "i" prefix. Hyundai says "i" stands for inspiration, intelligence and integrity. Eventually, Hyundai's entire lineup will include: i10, i20, i30, i40, and i50.

Hyundai will offer a variety of diesel and gasoline engines with the i30, ranging from 90 to 140 horsepower. A choice of either an automatic transmission to a five-speed all-synchro gearbox will be offered.

The i30 features dual front, side, and curtain airbags, active headrests, seatbelt pretensioning and seatbelt reminders. The hatchback measures 4,245 mm long, 1,765 mm wide and 1,480 mm high. A wheelbase of 2,650 mm offers significant interior space for a vehicle of this size. Total luggage space is 340 liters with the rear seats upright.

7hyundaii30ov0.jpg

13hyundaii30db3.jpg

22hyundaii30to1.jpg

29hyundaii30fa2.jpg

...Well, it looks like Hyundai has something up their sleeves with this one. It doesn't say if it is coming to America or not (I'm hoping so), but I'm really impressed so far. It looks like a cheap(er) alternative to the Rabbit, and that is a good thing... I wouldn't be ashamed to be in this car assuming they got it right.

Anyone else see a lot of the 1-Series in this?

Too much of a mish-mash of styling for my tastes, I'm afraid.

I was seeing the Saturn Astra crossed with the Toyota Yaris, with maybe a hint of the Mazda2...

Look at the way the boot curves inwards with an inwars slope at the bottom...
bmw-116i-118-sports-hatch.jpg

And the central white segment also makes me think of 1 series.

-> I like this Hyundai, and I think they should bring it here to compete the muscled-up Scion xB, and I think the rear-end look like the last-gen and current-gen Opel/Vauxhall Corsa mashed up together:

13hyundaii30db3.jpg

opel-corsa-02.jpg

opel_corsa_van_concept-02.jpg

-> And the front reminds me of a Mazda or a certain Opel/Saturn:

7hyundaii30ov0.jpg

astra28yx.jpg

10580.jpg

mazda_cx7_2.jpg

mazda-cx-7.jpg

(:

...so we've determined that the Hyundai i30 looks like...everything?

:D

-> And guess what? The i30 was picked up from this car:

i30_p.jpg

^ The Infiniti I30! :dopey:

The i30 is a rebadged Kia Cee'd (no, I don't know how to pronounce it) with poorer styling and driving dynamics. The Cee'd had a relatively positive reaction on its introduction in Europe last month.
I quite like the interior, however I am staunchly against Hyundai's new naming plan.

That's pretty cool. I'd buy one. Hyundai are one company that I think are always greatly improving with every model, both in car quality and reputation.

Jeez... it looks like an Opel... and a Mazda... and a BMW... and a Citroen... and not a Hyundai.

Auris, meet 1-series.

I think it's decent enough car, am I to assume this is Elantra-sized, then? The new Elantra seems like such a half-baked idea in comparison to the new Accent and Sonata, and I'd prefer to see this here. It's engine range sounds a little small to really compete with the Golf, however.

Like Toronado, I too am against this new naming scheme, however. Stick with names, Hyundai!

I don't know. Um, I really like it. It's neat. The headlights are the only thing I'd change. I've never been crazy about wraparound clear shades. But it's good. Another step up for Hyundai. 👍

I'm still having a difficult time figuring out where this fits in the lineup:

This is what I must assume then:

i10 = Accent
i20= Elantra
i30 = i30
i40 = Sonata
i50 = Azera

Maybe? What are they going to call the Tiburon, Santa Fe, Tuscon, and Entourage?

...I dunno. The Sonata name carries a lot of weight with it, and it would be almost a Taurus-esque disaster for Hyundai if they dropped it...

Not to mention what you point out about their SUVs and the Tib. I'm wondering if this is a world-wide name change or just in Europe? Perhaps since the engine range is roughly Elantra-esque, the i30 is just the hatched version? It could go i10, i30, i50, i70, covering the Accent, Elantra, Sonata, and Azera... ugh.

Agreed about the Taurusness of this decision. Just as Hyundai's getting their act together...

I think Hyundai should stick with real car names. But of course, I think every company besides German companies (except Porsche) should stick with real names.

Well, more people are likely to identify "Good car" with Sonata than Optima, IMO. Given the fairly positive response to the car over the past few years, ditching the Sonata nameplate seems rather silly to me...

Of course, it may be just as silly as Ford playing the name-game with the Fivehundred, thinking it will be automatically better when they call it "Taurus"...

While I think the lineup name change is a good idea, I can't help but to think of Acura....... Legend, and Integra. They were really popular once, then came the name changes to Earl..., I mean RL, and RSX. Is it just me, or did the popularity of those cars just drop after the name changes?

As for this i30, the first car I thought of after seeing the picture was this one:
mazda3-5door_0204.jpg

In detail, in & out, I see bunch other different cars in its' design, but bottomline, it looks pretty good. 👍

Of course, it may be just as silly as Ford playing the name-game with the Fivehundred, thinking it will be automatically better when they call it "Taurus"...

It already is.

I know it's been mentioned but when do y'all think Nissan is going to sue?

In my opinion, the change in naming convention is an excellent idea. Now that Hyundai is really on a roll when it comes to building genuinely good, quality cars, they can establish a new "Europeanesque" image for themselves with a letter/number-based naming scheme, while also escaping from the old model names that some people most likely still associate with the unreliable and bland cars Hyundai used to build.

On top of all of that, this new i30 looks good.

...while also escaping from the old model names that some people most likely still associate with the unreliable and bland cars Hyundai used to build...
I can certainly see where you are coming from with models like the Accent and Elantra, but there are some in which the i-prefix may not work out too well. It is hard to say given that I wasn't allowed to sit-in on the product testing with the public, but I just generally don't see it being a good idea to wipe the slate clean with well-established names.

On top of all of that, this new i30 looks good.

Can't argue there. Once it comes to America (assuming it is coming to America), I'd say its one of the better-looking small cars we have... Right up there with the Astra and the Rabbit.

Okay, here's what I see

Overall shape: BMW 1
Taillights: Suzuki Aerio
Nose: Combination Saturn and Mazda 3

Update!

LLN.com
Hyundai is planning to expand its Elantra range with a five-door wagon-esque variant that's expected to be based on the European-designed i30 model. When Hyundai redesigned the Elantra for the 2007 model year, it didn't include an updated version of the popular Elantra 5-door hatchback - just a traditional four-door sedan.

The i30 was designed in Europe (it is similar to the also-European Kia Cee'd) and will be available in five-door hatchback, as well as wagon variants. The hatchback, pictured, won't actually serve as the base for the Elantra Touring. Rather, the Elantra Touring will be based on the i30 wagon. But the i30 wagon and five-door should share very similar styling.

Hyundai Motor America says that the Elantra Touring will have the most cargo capacity in its class. It'll be powered by the same 2.0 liter four-cylinder that powers the rest of the Elantra range. Hyundai says that standard features will include stability control, a USB port, XM Satellite Radio and active head restraints in addition to six airbags and ABS. A five-speed manual is expected as standard equipment, much like the rest of the Elantra line.

Hyundai expects the Elantra Touring to compete with the Dodge Caliber, Mazda3 five-door and Toyota Matrix. It should go on sale in early 2008 as a '09 model.

I'm looking forward to it. I've been quite jealous of the fact that we don't have the, what appears to be rather good, i30 here in the US, and it looks as though we will get it. Sure, they may call it the Elantra, but I'd be hoping that they choose not to bastardize the overall look of the car here. Personally, I think the i30 is rather attractive... Not nearly as nice-looking as the Rabbit and Astra, but pretty damn close.

Back