Hyundai's i30: Elantra Touring Debut for North America

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 69 comments
Ah, I understand your points now and find them for the most part agreeable.

I want to give one a shot, see how she feels. The Hyundai drive is too...

Hey, I'm most excited about the interior of the car:

22hyundaii30to1.jpg

Give me that for $13K and I'll be very happy indeed... I just want it to have the driving dynamics similar to that of a Rabbit or Astra...

Hey hey, that interior is fantastic! Wow, Hyundai are really making some good looking interiors as of late.

My approval rating of this car: 85%. Nice job Hyundai.

I do wonder if they're keeping it hatch-only. Not to say that its a death-sentence in the marketplace, but I'm certain that an optional "sedan" (or maybe a lift-back?) version may do them some good as well.

Who knows. I just want to see it in person!

I just want it to have the driving dynamics similar to that of a Rabbit or Astra...

It isn't that lovely. Not a single review I've heard praised it for driving-dynamics. Quite on the contrary, even the smug guys over here who get excited about a two-litre Corolla found that, when you start pushing it, it's just not that fun. Even TopGear said that. :\

I do wonder if they're keeping it hatch-only. Not to say that its a death-sentence in the marketplace, but I'm certain that an optional "sedan" (or maybe a lift-back?) version may do them some good as well.

Who knows. I just want to see it in person!

We are Small, 1.6l Automatic Sedan country. We don't get a Hyundai i30 Sedan. I don't think Hyundai will start one now.

So, to make things more "official"

Autoblog
Our friends abroad know it as the Hyundai i30, but here in the States it shall be known as the Elantra Touring. It originally debuted in Geneva wearing i30 badges and last month it got its unceremonious North American unveiling at the Montreal International Auto Show.

The Elantra Touring marks Hyundai's return to the compact five-door segment after it nixed the Elantra GT a few years back, and it comes equipped with all the kit you'd expect in a budget runabout. Power is provided by a 2.0-liter four equipped with either a four-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC or a five-speed manual with a B&M Racing sport shifter. A sports suspension and quicker steering rack supposedly make it an entertaining steer, and Electronic Stability Control, ABS and Electronic Brake-Force Distribution ensure things don't get out of hand. Inside, you can option things up with heated front seats and a power sunroof, but the Elantra Touring already comes packing powered windows, remote keyless entry, eight-way adjustable driver's seat and a stereo equipped with an auxiliary jack and standard XM radio.

And once again, take a look at this wonderful interior:

It sounds like its going to be a screaming deal, and I'm really interested to see what it looks like. I don't think I'm going to be able to go to Chicago (kidney stones and schedule prevents it, unfortunately), but we'll see... I had a look at the Astra the other day, and while it doesn't quite live up to my expectations in interior quality (I'd rate it between the Rabbit and the Cobalt, only a notch behind the unimpressive Civic), it still seems like a very nice car.

Back