Hyundai's i30: Elantra Touring Debut for North America

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 69 comments
Pretty damn close with a good powertrain warranty has been good enough for Hyundai in the past, and this is a step up over the current Elantra. I'm for it.

I wouldn't complain about how it looks, or who it copied. Its a pretty damn good looking car inside and out. I'll be looking forward to seeing this car in America. This i30 looks better inside and out than any Toyota (minus Lexus) that's out now.

I completely agree. I really want to touch it so I can compare it with the Rabbit (what I'd consider best-in-class). Of course, this against the Astra would be a great fight...

Keeping the "Elantra" name is a smart move. Elantra name is recognizable, it is catchy. i30 is neither...... if you are Infiniti, you might be half way there. :P

...But it's still a Hyundai!

(I know someone's going to disagree here)

Hyundai, to me, will always be some ultra-cheap-ultra-crappy car for people who don't know better. Outstanding warranty be damned, I still wouldn't want to own one any time after it's expired. They're still going to have nil resale value, and I think that a large portion of the buying public will still share an oppinion similar to this (or a watered down version) for a long time.

I had extensive seat time with a last-generation 2005 Accent with my previous job, and it was truly a horrible car - Lots of rattles, a gutless engine with no power or torque (I could make a Sprint feel as fast as it), a horrible, clunky transmission, and one of the poorest suspensions I've experienced. Tonnes of nose dive, excessive body roll, wheel hop galore, and noisy to boot.
The interior was bad - After less than 50K the materials looked dirty and weathered (and difficult to clean), the seat was squished down, and the carpet was almost worn through under the pedals. Of course, I wasn't the only one using it, so it's hard to judge how it would have held up under solo use, but that doesn't forgive the rest of the car.
It would be interesting to see how this compares, but I'm skeptical at best.

[Edit] - Oh, and look at that tach. 5K Redline out of a four-cylinder car engine? Come on. A twenty five year old Mercedes diesel will pull 4500 RPM, and Hyundai can only manage 5000? I wonder what their reasoning is behind that.

...But it's still a Hyundai!
I'd be honest with you. I don't know if I'll ever shop for one. I grew up when Hyundai used to be a real garbage. The horror stories, and all the Hyundai jokes. I am suffering from some kind of Hyundai complex. But from what I've been reading(including on gtp), their overall quality is now up to par with most other makes. Also, I can respect a company that never shows that it's happy with itself. They just keep upping the ante. Hyundai makes many American, Japanese, and Korean car makers look like little (forgive me, I don't do this often)b1tches, with their aggressive and gutsy strides.

I guess that's the one problem... the name "Elantra" doesn't conjure up many fond memories or a surfeit of trust and reassurance... Hyundai ought to sell this under a different name... but alphanumerics are so... last year... :lol:

[Edit] - Oh, and look at that tach. 5K Redline out of a four-cylinder car engine? Come on. A twenty five year old Mercedes diesel will pull 4500 RPM, and Hyundai can only manage 5000? I wonder what their reasoning is behind that.

Not to be picky, but you realize that is a diesel model, right? Most Europeans go for the diesel option, so the photos from earlier in the thread are the Europe-only i30 model we don't have yet.

The US versions, I'm guessing, will likely use the Hyundai/Mitsubishi/Chrysler "world" engine that can be seen in the Caliber and Lancer, presumably the 2.0L unit with 158 BHP.

Quite honestly, if they can sell me an i30 that looks like whats in the pictures, I'm very interested. I'd, of course, have to drive the Rabbit and Astra right along with it, just to make sure it drives as good as it looks...

Funny how Americans hated Japanese cars when they first came here, and now they're hating on Korean cars. What's next? Chinese?

FACT IS, Hyundai and Kia have improved their build quality TEN FOLD. And that is according to the WORLDLY press and jounalists. The Sonata in my opinion kicks the living crap out of the Accord--which was its main target.

Is it so hard to ask people to be even semi-open minded?

Uh.... yes? :lol:

mental inertia is the rule, not the exception... even here in Asia, where Korean imports have flooded the market, there are still stalwarts who proclaim that anything from Korea is pure ****.

Actually... they include anything that is not from Toyota in that statement as well. :lol:

I'm impressed by the new Koreans, but they still have quite a ways to go in terms of interior quality to match the Japanese... but maybe not so far... since all the Japanese are starting to revert to a level of interior quality that would make even American manufacturers blanche.

Last I rode a Toyota, it was the Yaris. This was a car that cost about as much as a base Corolla, mind... a top-of-the-line Yaris. The steering wheel was horrible, the door panels had plastic-tailings on them, and the dashboard was about as well-made as Chinese knock-down furniture (except those are wood-laminate, at least, and don't sound like soda bottles when you close the drawers).

Mitsubishi has rather decent interiors compared to Toyota... but what's in the latest V6 Outlander (nice, quick car, by the way)? full-sized plastic door panels. And in case that wasn't Fisher-Price enough, they sound clunky, too, with the door handles cut into the solid panels almost as an afterthought.

Give it time... opinions will change... ;)

Last I rode a Toyota, it was the Yaris. This was a car that cost about as much as a base Corolla, mind... a top-of-the-line Yaris. The steering wheel was horrible, the door panels had plastic-tailings on them, and the dashboard was about as well-made as Chinese knock-down furniture (except those are wood-laminate, at least, and don't sound like soda bottles when you close the drawers)

I was quite shocked the first time I sat in a Yaris as well. I hadn't held plastic pieces that cheap since I was small enough to drive a Power Wheel Jeep. The Chevrolet Aveo by comparison almost felt screwed together better with higher-grade plastics...

When my dad was looking for a new car, he was considering the Yaris. We convinced him not to buy it just by showing him how ridiculous the interior looks.

hyundaielantratouring1_lo.jpg

Autoblog
Hyundai has officially unveiled the 2009 Elantra Touring at the Montreal International Auto Show, giving us a proper look at the car we can expect to see in showrooms a little later this year. Sold in Europe as the i30 CW, the Elantra Touring is a handsome small wagon with a nicely-detailed interior. The instrumentation and switchgear look like quality stuff, leather's optional, and it has both USB and AUX ports for iPod compatibility. Power comes from a 2.0L four-banger making 141 horses mated to a five-speed manual or an optional 4-speed automatic. Exterior accents include subtle brightwork on the front and rear bumpers, available 17" wheels, and wraparound headlamps. In all, the Elantra Touring looks like a practical, appealing package. Pricing hasn't been announced yet, but we expect it to be very competitive, in keeping with Hyundai's value-oriented approach.

Sounds like a great alternative to the Astra and the Corolla. Should be good on price and performance, I hope, and it really looks like it has been screwed together properly. Lets hope that European-tuned suspension stays under the car...

...which happens to look good in the flesh.

I've seen several of them. Design-wise they're anything but bad, and is not something that most people would identify as korean until they get a closer look at it.

Only thing I would have liked better was if the taillights looked a little better. Otherwise, looks like another knockout punch by Hyundai (that is... until the Genesis is released). A lot of people are going to say it looks bland. I, however, tend to think of this car's design to be quite beautiful and pleasant. My department in regards to cars is style and design. Hyundai gets an "A" in that department. This car isn't meant to be a beast, so I'm sure this wasn't designed to be a ravenous beast. I'm actually happy overall with its design. It shouldn't really be a slouch in Europe with 90 to 140 horsepower. I think you all are getting a very nice offering from Hyundai. I'd approve of this car to the tune of 90% and no more.

Hey, I'm most excited about the interior of the car:

22hyundaii30to1.jpg

Give me that for $13K and I'll be very happy indeed... I just want it to have the driving dynamics similar to that of a Rabbit or Astra...

From what many people have told me, you do not want that thing to handle anything like an Astra since you'll be making a lot of noise while sliding into a tree. I have not driven one yet so I can not say but those who have (they are actually quite common in this area) said the handling wasn't really what they were expecting.

Chinese? Or maybe that Mazda looking intake.

Give me that for $13K and I'll be very happy indeed... I just want it to have the driving dynamics similar to that of a Rabbit or Astra...

I want to sit in one first. It seems pictures don't to a great job of showing off the material quality of the car. And those instruments look a little familiar, but I guess all cars use that setup.

The instruments look very "Honda-ish" to me... Maybe not Honda right now, but certainly Honda 2003-2005...

I just want it to have the driving dynamics similar to that of a Rabbit or Astra...
The Astra that everyone in Europe hates except the stupidly powerful one? I still fail to see how the Astra will be anything amazing when it is a 5 year old car that no one who can buy them likes, and is theoretically inferior to the Cobalt in every way. Saying it is better than the Ion doesn't mean anything either, because the Cavalier was better than the Ion.

What? I've heard nothing but (mostly) positives about the Astra. Sure, its dated as you point out (due for replacement in 2010), but its still a good car. The good trade off of a decent ride and decent handling makes sense, Volkswagen-style sense.

Granted, I've yet to drive one myself (may do so next week, weather permitting), but I've heard nothing but good things... Except for it not having enough power.

...If Hyundai can deliver on that same basic idea (European looks, ride/handling balance, high refinement) at a good price, I'd be happy to throw my money at the Koreans. They've been building stellar vehicles as of late, and this looks to be one of their better vehicles, second only to the Genesis in the US (until the new Tibby arrives).

The Astra's interior quality sucked if the one at the NAIAS is any indication of what the real thing is like. I have a feel this Hyundai will be the same way. I understand they are inexpensive cars but a little quality would be nice. I think the biggest problem is these companies, any company,try to simulate expensive materials and fail at it.

But as I've said, maybe had my hopes to high for the car? Or rather my expectations.

YSSMAN
What? I've heard nothing but (mostly) positives about the Astra. Sure, its dated as you point out (due for replacement in 2010), but its still a good car. The good trade off of a decent ride and decent handling makes sense, Volkswagen-style sense.
I'm not saying that it will be terrible, but after 5 years of Europeans laughing at it, one would think GM would choose a better car to replace the Ion. Especially when the car looks to be not as good as the Cobalt/G5 that we already have over here.
When you think about it, all it does for the Saturn range is make the Saturn badge more redundant.

I understand they are inexpensive cars but a little quality would be nice.
These days only the under-Sonata V6 Hyundais suffer from the problem, really.

I'm not saying that it will be terrible, but after 5 years of Europeans laughing at it, one would think GM would choose a better car to replace the Ion. Especially when the car looks to be not as good as the Cobalt/G5 that we already have over here.
When you think about it, all it does for the Saturn range is make the Saturn badge more redundant.

I guess I really don't follow. The design is dated, thats a given, but considering its the only small car in the GM lineup that was as good (better, IMO) than the Cobalt/G5, it made sense to replace the Ion with it. The Cobalt/G5 are good, don't get me wrong, but they aren't that good. The MKIV Vee-Dubs were their targets, and they met those goals, but obviously the competition has advanced quite a bit since 2005.

The redundancy thing is what I don't get... The Ion is dead. The Astra will be replaced in 2010 with the new one, and then will be matched with a Zafira as well...

The good news is that Hyundai had a decent car before this, and if this expands/addresses the issues of the previous model, I do have very high hopes for this one... Something that I hope Saturn took note of...

I don't get it. In the beginning, all we hear is praise and love for the Astra, and when It finally gets here, we're all like "Wait, that's it? Where's the angels singing from the heavens? I'm bored. I don't like this car.".

Now on the i30: If it's anything like the current line-up from Hyundai, it's gonna be pretty damn good.

I guess I really don't follow. The design is dated, thats a given, but considering its the only small car in the GM lineup that was as good (better, IMO) than the Cobalt/G5, it made sense to replace the Ion with it.
I merely don't understand why people will think the Astra will be better than the Cobalt is already. They spent another year and lord knows how much money taking the Astra bits and pieces and improving them for the Cobalt. It has better engines, more refinement in the chassis/suspension and more attention paid to sound deadening. Based on estimates, the Astra won't even have a fuel mileage advantage or price advantage. I see no point to it other than to fill Saturn dealer space. They might as well have waited until the replacement was ready so it was actually better than its cousins.
If NAIAS was any indication based on Joey's comments, the Astra will be just as bleh here as it is in Europe.

The Cobalt/G5 are good, don't get me wrong, but they aren't that good.
Based on the reviews I've read from Europe, the Astra is no better at taking on the Golf than the Cobalt is here.

The redundancy thing is what I don't get... The Ion is dead. The Astra will be replaced in 2010 with the new one, and then will be matched with a Zafira as well...
I said the Saturn badge. Not the Saturn cars.

TopHat
I don't get it. In the beginning, all we hear is praise and love for the Astra, and when It finally gets here, we're all like "Wait, that's it? Where's the angels singing from the heavens? I'm bored. I don't like this car.".
I stopped thinking that last year when I learned why the Cobalt came out after the Astra did.

Back