i can make any FR, MR, RR, and FWD cars drift

Yeah credit where he's due he's so far managed to live up to his boast.

If its sideways, its drifting, thats my philosophy.

well, let's expand the definition slightly...

...if it gets sideways under power, it is drifting...

If you get sideways with no power, you're just sliding, inducing feint motion, perhaps.

So in the interest of boredom:

The car can only really be classified as 'drifting' if it is travelling sideways under power.

Whereas just going sideways because of terrible suspension, bad driver, or its going sideways because youre driving a 900bhp RUF with no spoiler *ahem* then its not a drift.

Great!

So in the interest of boredom:

The car can only really be classified as 'drifting' if it is travelling sideways under power.

Whereas just going sideways because of terrible suspension, bad driver, or its going sideways because youre driving a 900bhp RUF with no spoiler *ahem* then its not a drift.

Great!

That's how i've described it....that's my personal definition. You are basically getting sideways, and maintaining that sideways motion under power, or thru a manipulation of power, brakes, and steering.

But to make it simple, yes..you have to be using gas for at least some of that sideways motion, otherwise you're just sliding. Or lift-off oversteering. Or whatever.

Let's go to wikipedia, shall we:

DRIFTING refers to a driving technique and to a motor sport where the driver intentionally skids the rear tires through turns, preserving vehicle control and a high exit speed. A car is said to be drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, and the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right or vice versa), and the driver is controlling these factors.

There you go.

This describes a driver getting sideways (doesn't say how, but we can assume thru intense steering, brakes, e-brake, gas, or some combination).

And then it says the driver must "preserve vehicle control with a high exit speed". Which basically means you're maintaining that sideways motion, and need to be using the throttle to do so, at least for part of the drift.

I disagree with the "high exit speed" part, tho...there are certainly low-speed drifts as well as high-speed ones...i think for the sake of competitions, the speed has to be high.

The part where it says "the rear wheels must be of a greater angle than the front ones" is also competition stuff. To make it simple, as long as you get sideways under power, you are drifting.

There is full-opposite lock during drifting too (front wheels must be countersteered fully) which makes everything legit in the D world of competitions, tho it's impossible to have full-lock during an entire drift. This is partially how they grade these competitions: how "sideways" can a driver get with opposite steering input, and how long can this last? Geez, complicated stuff...

Now granted, the idea of making a drift last is the trick. But even if you get sideways under power for a mere second, in my definition you are still drifting for that mere second.

If a surfer takes on a wave, yet gets wiped out a second later, he or she is still surfing (at least for that second) right? :D

Last edited:
This thread has been hi-jacked into "Is Drifting really Drifting". But the fact is that he fulfilled the request and it would be nice to see a video or two, instead of a picture. I am guessing now that if AIDS are good in some point if fans want a certain model car want to go sideways.
Famine: I am just realizing why I posted that is because at the time I was thinking the difference because its AWD version and its counterpart but the same model.
But I wonder if TT counts if we put it in here.

Last edited:
Ok there are many cars I would like to drift, but here are the two I want done: the Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R230) (I think it's that one) and the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII GTA. AND I DON'T WANT DRIVING AIDS ON EITHER OF THEM.

I'm going to test his settings out today WITHOUT AIDS!! See how I do. ;)

I'm guessing most of them won't do anything but understeer or slide a bit under pressure. But not so much true drifting. Anyways, how did your experiement go?

I'm guessing most of them won't do anything but understeer or slide a bit under pressure. But not so much true drifting. Anyways, how did your experiement go?

Doing it right now, recruitment agency called up wanting feedback on my old job. :rolleyes: Was P.C. but damn I wanted to say some really bad stuff on them. ;)

1st up: Midget II. :mischievous:

well i have done the midget without aids and i think i like it more it will drift at higher speeds than normal wich i like
ive also started drifting other cars w/o aids an i believe i like it better that way. the only car ive done other than the midget was a R32 skyline gt-r but i like it a lot but i still need some practice.
and i do not have a camera that does video as much as i would love to post one =]
but here are the spec for the aidless midget:
you will have to buy one more thing
N3 tires
settings:
suspension:
front/rear
2.6/1.0
99/99
--/--
4/3
2/3
3.6/1.0
0/0
2/3
transmission auto set 6
N3 tires in the front and
N1 tires in the rear
and the major change
front/rear balance(wieght)

Try not to mix tires but that is a later lesson, though its going to be harder in a Midget. If need be, flick or dirt drop the midget.

Assessment of Corey's Midget:

For something with this much accel LSD and a soft as suspension, I was expecting to go understeering into the bushes without ASM. To my surprise it wasn't that bad. It's not like he just hit a grand slam with it, but the settings were definitely in the ballpark.

The gearing is almost spot on for the car, maybe a little bit more spaced out so it stays in powerband more (I kept shifting 3rd/4th a bit too much), but for just an autoset tune on the gearbox it came out alright. I've adjusted the settings on gearing and suspension as such and made her a little bit more cranky overall but she's given a perfect drift around the final bend of Motorland Complex several times. 👍

My Settings:
Suspension
Spring Rate: 5.4/4.6
Height: 99/99
Damper Bound: 4/3
Damper Rebound: 8/6
Camber: 2.7/0.0
Toe Angle: 0/0 :eek:
Stabilisers: 4/3

Gearing
Take Final ratio to 6.500, then Autoset 5 then adjust the following gear ratios.
1st: 2.250
2nd: 1.575
3rd: 1.175
4th: 0.925
5th: 0.750
Final: 6.000

LSD
Initial: 8
Acceleration: 14
Deceleration: 10

It's a bit more predictable to countersteer against with these settings. :)

When all else fails, Pull the Ebrake.

Oh i see. 👍

Assessment of Corey's Midget:

For something with this much accel LSD and a soft as suspension, I was expecting to go understeering into the bushes without ASM. To my surprise it wasn't that bad. It's not like he just hit a grand slam with it, but the settings were definitely in the ballpark.

The gearing is almost spot on for the car, maybe a little bit more spaced out so it stays in powerband more (I kept shifting 3rd/4th a bit too much), but for just an autoset tune on the gearbox it came out alright. I've adjusted the settings on gearing and suspension as such and made her a little bit more cranky overall but she's given a perfect drift around the final bend of Motorland Complex several times. 👍

I love it when you talk technical. You're intelligent. 👍 +REP :D

Try not to mix tires but that is a later lesson, though its going to be harder in a Midget. If need be, flick or dirt drop the midget.

I used to mix tires alot, now i only do it when i have to. Some cars won't drift (or trail-brake, or throttle steer etc) if you don't mix tires. 💡

But like i said, i only mix when i have to....it's better to use all the same tires if you can because it reduces the risk of annoying front-end snapback :mad:

ive never used staggered tires, i would only use them if i was having real trouble drifting, but i always pick good enough cars in the first place ;)

well im still workin on the benz and evo and its takin a while because im havin a lot of fun with the benz
it has a lot of bugs but its prolly the best drift car if drove so far with or without aids

thats good to hear corey, ive been trying out a few of your cars and ive been seriously impressed with some of the set-ups, alot of us (myself included) wouldnt dare use AIDS on a drift car, but you dared to go for it and its paid off.

Its nice to see a new member who actually has some brains!

p.s Corey i would love to see a video, rush out and buy a max drive!!

:sly: if you want some help with your car just tell me the exact make and model of your ride and ill build it up, and tune it so its perfect for drifting.
once im done with all that ill tell you the part equiped and the changes to the suspension, transmission, driving aids, and limited slip differentials.
you copy all that to your car then drift away.
tell me the wierdest, fastest, slowest, most awkward cars if you want to, i love a good challange.
you can contact me at:

Moderator edit: We can contact you HERE

it usually takes me about a day to get the settings done but i move as fast as i can
peace out 👍

no. i mean drift it without any drift settings, he did say "anything" didnt he?
Please reread the bold letters

Back