I can't keep the RUF Yellowbird on the track

• Thread starter jamman39
  • 106 comments
United States
United States
jamman39
Any advice here? I've tried different set ups that I've found. I've tried gently easing it around the track, like an old lady. Nothing I do changes anything, it's always spinning out and oversteering right off the track.

I've been playing sims since GT5, and I felt pretty confident before I got in this car, suddenly I feel like I did the first time I booted up GT5 again. Any pointers would help ease my frustration

Lower the turbo boost to 10% then gradually set it higher and higher as you will get to grip to drive a high power rear engine car. Steer with the gas pedal as much as with the wheel.
Enjoy.
This. In the Yellowbird, and many cars of that era and older, you always need to just as aware of what the rear of the car is doing and is going to do, as you are of the front. Sometimes you need to do what is counter intuitive. Holding a touch of throttle often helps to control oversteer at times because it keeps more weight on the rear of the car and moves it towards understeer, so long as you aren't spinning the tires or on the very limits of grip while cornering. Try to not brake hard and turn at the same time. Do all of your braking in a straight line to start with.

You will get the hang of it if you practice. Start on the very flattest tracks first to take the elevations and cambered corners out of the mix. Monza, Barcelona, Magione etc.

Make sure your wheel is properly setup in the driver, might sound silly but if it would be set a the wrong degrees of rotation that is already going to cause troubles. 900 degrees for the YB and lower the boost.

Panjandrum (who owns a Porsche), recommended to put it at 10% to experience how and old school 911 handles, and it was childs play afterwards. Very predictable and easy to slide and control.

Also be gentle on the brakes like Johnny says, full brake pressure is a no no.

There is some really good advice in this thread. I've been playing Assetto Corsa for 13 months and I still have trouble with the car now and then. She's got a temper. She will bite you if provoked...and I believe that you need very smooth inputs in order to not provoke the Yellowbird. Get all of your braking done before you even begin turning the wheel for a corner/turn. Do not downshift into 2nd gear while turning. It's very easy to upset the balance of the Yellowbird. This might sound crazy, but you might even want to try running the car with Street Tires instead of the Semislick tires that are installed by default. Occasionally, it is actually easier for me to maintain overall control if my front tires can slide a little bit rather than bite in and throw my heavy rear-end around on me. That's why the smooth inputs are so crucial. You experience quite a bit of weight transfer with this car.

Stick with it. You're getting there. Definitely turn that Turbo Boost down...This is one of my favorite cars - not because I can drive the crap out of it, but because it is still incredibly challenging for me. Good luck dude! 👍

This is one sick car, and i agree with the comments above, lower the boost, then go for a slow lap, memorize your braking points, then slowly increase your approach speed and apply gentle throttle on the way out.
Here is a video i did for the #CrapAC TT
Wishing you good luck in your attempts

I've some (hastily written, quick) tips in this thread: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ac-porsches-vs-rl-porsches-rear-engined.350801/

Look at post #13. Definitely, definitely turn the turbo down in the YB. It becomes a completely different car. (Joyful and fun, rather than "oh my God this car wants to kill me!"

That said, there plenty of drivers who never really seem to get comfortable with an engine in the back in RL (we see this a lot in motorsports - the driver with the Elise or the MR2 or the 911 (or any other MR or RR car) that spins the car frequently when they come-off throttle or will hit the brakes hard mid-turn (a big no-no). But in the end, if you can't learn to use that dynamic then a car with a rear-weight bias may simply be not for you. I'm the opposite. Put me in a front-heavy FF car and all I can do is understeer, understeer, understeer unless I really turn my instincts off and start driving purely with the rational portion of my brain, because all my instincts are wrong for a car like that. If you practice and practice but find yourself unable to drive the YB by throttle even at 10% boost, then it's OK to give up on using throttle-steer - just revert to purely to the "slow-in fast-out" method, many drivers RL do.

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. I haven't been able to find a slider to turn the turbo boost down. I'm playing on Xbox, is that a PC only option?

Thanks for all the advice, everybody. I haven't been able to find a slider to turn the turbo boost down. I'm playing on Xbox, is that a PC only option?

You can change the boost while out on track from the controller or wheel. It's X on the PS4 but if you have a look at the controller settings it will show you. High, laggy boost is what gives most people trouble with the YB. With it turned down, you can get the hang of what the chassis is doing for a few laps. Once you're happy with it then you can bump up the boost a little at a time. It is a car that requires some quick corrections to tame it, but once you master* it, it's hugely satisfying.

*The only person I've seen master it is Stefan Roser at the 'ring. Look up the video and take note of how much he works the wheel! :nervous:

A little off topic, but RUF is their own manufacturer, NOT a Porsche tuner.

RUF is considered as a different manufacturer and issue their own serial number for their vehicle, this is why we could have RUF in some SIM even though the Porsche license was not accessible, agreed, but a RUF is assembled with parts from Porsche (95%) so not considering RUF like a tuner is highly debatable.

The Yellowbird likes to oversteer but I also think it's relatively easy to regain control whenever it does. Some cars are much harder to correct once things get hairy. As it has been said, keep a little throttle through corners to maintain balance, only brake when the car is in balance, and avoid steering too much off throttle. Experiment with turbo boost if the default setting is too much, but respect for its handling traits goes a long way no matter how fast it goes.

The Yellowbird likes to oversteer but I also think it's relatively easy to regain control whenever it does. Some cars are much harder to correct once things get hairy.

Easy to say, but in all honesty just watching that lap at the Ring makes me sweat. It would be scary to drive like that even in AC ... & there's no way I would make it round in one piece. One serious error IRL & the car is toast ... or worse! :scared:

Easy to say, but in all honesty just watching that lap at the Ring makes me sweat. It would be scary to drive like that even in AC ... & there's no way I would make it round in one piece. One serious error IRL & the car is toast ... or worse! :scared:

Perhaps I should have said that the Yellowbird leaves more room to correct oversteer than some other cars do. I've lost more lives driving the Cobra and F40.

Especially going past those bikers. :odd:

Thanks for posting the vid - it's an awesome display of control, isn't it?

While us console pheasants wait for the Porsche DLC maybe we could amuse ourselves with a YB/'ring throw down?

Thanks for posting the vid - it's an awesome display of control, isn't it?

While us console pheasants wait for the Porsche DLC maybe we could amuse ourselves with a YB/'ring throw down?
It's too bad there isn't a beautiful HD video of that Yellowbird Nordschleife run. Actually, I'd like to see someone take a Yellowbird onto the 'Ring sometime and try to beat that time...what was it?? 8:05? I get nervous just watching the driver, but thank god he put a camera in there. 👍

It's too bad there isn't a beautiful HD video of that Yellowbird Nordschleife run. Actually, I'd like to see someone take a Yellowbird onto the 'Ring sometime and try to beat that time...what was it?? 8:05? I get nervous just watching the driver, but thank god he put a camera in there. 👍

I didn't even notice the time. For me, survival was a win!

Yeah - it would be nice in HD!

What you don't get in AC, in spite of the excellent FFB, is a visceral sense of the weight transfer which allows the driver to feel where the balance of the car is at any point. I am assuming that is what makes driving like that possible IRL (as Nielsen pointed out). That & (of course) a lot of experience taking the car to its limits.

Yeah - it would be nice in HD!

What you don't get in AC, in spite of the excellent FFB, is a visceral sense of the weight transfer which allows the driver to feel where the balance of the car is at any point. I am assuming that is what makes driving like that possible IRL (as Nielsen pointed out). That & (of course) a lot of experience taking the car to its limits.

And big balls. :lol:

And big balls. :lol:

Yeah - you would think, but he does it almost casually ... like it's not a big deal. Big balls isn't going to get you round the Nurburgring in one piece - only skill is going to do that. It's fascinating to me that it's possible to have that much familiarity with the handling of the car that he can do that.

This is one sick car, and i agree with the comments above, lower the boost, then go for a slow lap, memorize your braking points, then slowly increase your approach speed and apply gentle throttle on the way out.
Here is a video i did for the #CrapAC TT
Wishing you good luck in your attempts

I must give this a shot shortly...

[Edit] Damn! I thought the KTM was skittish in 2nd gear, it is like glue compared to this. This car has also helped me dial in the FFB but sadly cannot get lower than 1:43. What a grunt in this car!

Last edited:
Back