I got the E320! (Pictures on page 6)

  • Thread starter Thread starter High-Test
  • 123 comments
  • 116,133 views
It's not adequate - Nissan has 265 in the Xterra, Toyota has 268 in the RAV4, Saturn has god knows what in the new Vue. Jeep needs to step up. So does Ford.
The keyword was "since."
 
I'm Torn.

I looked at a '91 240 and an '88 740.

240- The 240 has 171,000 miles. It's black, and the body is nearly perfect. It has all of the little trim pieces too, although a few are in a box inside the car. The seats are all new, and it drives great. It needs a new muffler, but I was going to get one from IPD anyway. The guy selling it said it's a great car, but some of the wiring is finnicky. The glovebox triggers the door tone. The only major problem is that the fuel gauge isn't working. But- it has a CD player, and the driver's side Map holder is intact. Price - 1800

740 - THis one is a dark metallic gray/pewter. It has 179,000 miles on it. It's got the ugly 80s separate chrome lights, which turns me off to it. The interior is very nice, but the A/C is messed up and the left front brake is having problems. It tugs a little.. Also, I don't care for the leather seats. they're in great shape, but not as nice as the new cloth seats on the 240. The guy selling both cars clearly preferred this over the 240. He said it was a real man's Volvo, and he'd be disappointed in me if I bought the 240. Price - 2550.


My mind is screaming 240, even if it has a few wiring goofs. The 750 I'm saving over the advertised price can easily take care of the wiring, right?

I don't want to have a car breaking an electrical part every other day, but I like the 240 so much more. Is it advisable to get the 240 anyways?
 
Yes. The 750 is the "real man's car" because he wants to take you for more money. And 240's are more reliable anyways. The rewiring would be much less than the difference of the 750, much less the difference of the 750 when you replace the front brakes and Air Conditioning. On top of all that, the 240 is newer.
 
what nifty interior electronic are turning you off? These are 20 plus year old cars, they have pretty basic features....these cars are quality cars, build like a tank, i've got 2 w126 coupes and the only thing i've replaced are the original front ball joints...cost me $150 AUD for the joints...if you find a well cared for w124 it should last you another 10 years trouble free...

130620070922webhh9.jpg

Dear god I need a new pair of pants!
 
Get the Volvo. It will last a billion years and you'll never die in a car accident. The Jeep will disintegrate the minute you turn the key.
 
FACT: the gauge cluster I just got from the junkyard for my 124 read 331,000 miles















the car was totaled by a run in with an SUV and it still started when I jumped it.....
 
The gas guage is really not that big a problem either.
You either need a trip odo, or a pencil and pad in the car.
I had a VW bus that had a non-working gas gauge for years.
We just kept track of the miles traveled and filled up every 250 miles or so.
In the V-dub that was just about half a tank.
We (my lovely wiife) only ran out of gas once.:sly:
Or you could check the stats: fuel economy, tank size, drop 10-15% from your best economy and figure out how far 3/4 of a tank will get you. NEVER drive farther than that between fill-ups.

Actually, according to msn.com it should have a 15.8 gallon tank with a 25-28 mpg highway EPA rating.
For the purposes of not getting stranded let's say 23 mpg X 12 gallons = 276 miles. So you could probably stretch out to 300 miles a tank, and live forever without a gas gauge.
 
Yes. The 750 is the "real man's car" because he wants to take you for more money. And 240's are more reliable anyways. The rewiring would be much less than the difference of the 750, much less the difference of the 750 when you replace the front brakes and Air Conditioning. On top of all that, the 240 is newer.

740, not 750.

7th generation
4 cylinders
0 sense

Get the 240! (2nd generation, 4 cylinders)

For those interested this numbering scheme continued baaaasically unmolested until 1997. True there was no 3xx, 5xx, or 6xx, but the first number signified the generation and the second the number of cylinders for years. My 850, then, was an 8th-generation Volvo with 5 cylinders; the 960 was a 9th-generation model with 6 cylinders and the 940 was a 9th-generation car with 4 cylinders. Originally the third digit in the naming scheme referred to the number of doors - perhaps you'll remember the 242 and 244 (and 245) which preceeded the 240. And while Volvo dropped this officially because it was confusing, unofficially the vehicles are still numbered this way - every time my Volvo went in for service the Volvo dealer wrote '844 Turbo' on the work order.

...just for the record.
 
when i was 13 i used to love seeing my neighbor's gold 740...back than it was rather stylish...the 740 had a turbo engine right?
 
740, not 750.

7th generation
4 cylinders
0 sense

Get the 240! (2nd generation, 4 cylinders)

For those interested this numbering scheme continued baaaasically unmolested until 1997. True there was no 3xx, 5xx, or 6xx, but the first number signified the generation and the second the number of cylinders for years. My 850, then, was an 8th-generation Volvo with 5 cylinders; the 960 was a 9th-generation model with 6 cylinders and the 940 was a 9th-generation car with 4 cylinders. Originally the third digit in the naming scheme referred to the number of doors - perhaps you'll remember the 242 and 244 (and 245) which preceeded the 240. And while Volvo dropped this officially because it was confusing, unofficially the vehicles are still numbered this way - every time my Volvo went in for service the Volvo dealer wrote '844 Turbo' on the work order.

...just for the record.

I think that the 750 referred to is the price differential between the two candidate vehicles.

Two notable exceptions to the #cylinders rule: The 960 Turbo was in fact a blown 4 cylinder, and the 940TD was a blown 6 diesel.

Also (with respect to a previous post) I also wouldn't recommend getting a turbo car at that age without some serious background checking. Did the US not get the 2.5L 20v five pot with no turbo? That would be a good, stable car to own.

I'm rather surprised that (given that the budget was set at $5,000) we're haggling over which 15+ year old car to buy at 40-50% of the budget. Why is there not a concerted effort to bring more of the budget into play to find something newer?
 
Because, They're the only two 2.3 4 cylinder volvos in good shape at the moment within 100 miles. I don't need new, I need reliable. Volvo B230 fits the bill. Two others had 300,000 plus on the odometer.

I don't think we ever got the Penta. (wasn't that where it was sourced from? The 2.5?)

I called the seller to get some more info out of him, but.. he didn't answer. The day and a half delay to even see the car with no contact from him was helpful, I'm leaving on a family road trip in.. an hour. I'll be online fairly frequently, though. The SUV we're taking has a screwey speedometer- usually the needle points directly down. Other times, it works, but x=81 or x=76. When I'm crawling at 110, I know I'm going at a safe neighborhood pace.

Hopefully when I get back there will be a few more 240s on the market here.
But, my catch is that my dad wants to know exactly what the fuel gauge and wiring will cost before we buy it. I've talked to three mechanics, they can't tell me how much the repair will cost without running diagnostics.

I'll look at a couple W124s as well. There's one promising '95 E320 Special Edition that has been pretty well maintained around here.
 
...in the event of the nuclear holocaust they'll be sitting right there next to Toyota pickups saying 'let's go!'
Except that the Toyota trucks will have all biodegraded into little piles of iron oxide and blown away by then.

On a quiet night, you can hear a Toyota truck rust.
 
My brother often comments about how he always finds new holes and parts that are missing after long trips in his old yota pickup, but it still runs which is more than can be said of many much newer vehicles he has owned
 
I don't think he, or really any of us for that matter, are old enough to;

1) Watch CBS
2) Have a prescription for Viagra
3) Remember 'The War'
4) Drive a Buick

...I mean, I'd drive a Regal, or even a Lucerne for that matter, but the LeSabre (or as I call it, the Lay-Saab-Ray) is just a touch too boring...

If we're going to talk W-Bodies, he'd be just as safe getting a Lumina/Impala or a Grand Prix. Better yet, the Oldsmobile Intrigue... They were built well, drove quite nicely, and didn't look too bad either.



It was just a suggestion... Hell, I'm 15 and actually WANT my grandmothers Buick LeSabre.

Another suggestion: 1994-1996 Acura Integra.
 
Suggestion: 1995-1999 Nissan Maxima SE or GLE as seen here:

1999%20Nissan%20Maxima%20Silver.jpg


Its my favorite saloon of all time.
 
I got pointed toward a Red 1993 Volvo 240 SE Wagon by a Volvo tech, it has 96,000 miles and passed a 116 point Volvo dealer inspection with flying colors. The only con is the price - 7-8,000. It's worth 6,100, according to Bluebook. Damn the fact that I'm in colorado.. I'd go now and see it. It isn't on the net yet, so that keeps my hopes up. I've talked to him today, with a bad connection. The seller will call me tomorrow, hopefully. I'll get to haggle for the first time! Yay!
 
Its my favorite saloon of all time.

It's also my favorite race story ever.

I pull up to a light on my lunch break in my Volvo. I've been driving hard and a guy with one of those - an SE by the wheels and clearly a manual - gets next to me playing this WEIRD Latin dance music. He has me roll down his window and yells to me, 'What's the output?' Unable to comprehend why someone would ask this question, I reply 'What?'; he repeats and I say, 'Two point three liters.' He then smiles (because he's running three liters) and says - I swear - "Let's see it!" and turns up the weird Latin dance music so loud he should've been embarrassed. But probably wasn't.

He was further embarrassed when, upon the light turning green, I absolutely tore away from him and by the time we were out of the intersection no part his car was even next to mine. Perhaps he will learn this lesson next time: output means nothing when there's a turbocharger - I was running 32 more horsepower than he was and my car was slightly lighter. He never had a chance. I laughed the entire way to lunch.

GilesGuthrie
Did the US not get the 2.5L 20v five pot with no turbo?

In the 850, no.

'93-'97: 168hp 2.4-liter 5-cylinder ('93 GLT, '94 base, '95-'96 GLT, '97 base)
'97: 190hp 2.4-liter turbocharged 5-cylinder ('97 GLT)
'94-'97: 222hp 2.3-liter turbocharged 5-cylinder ('94-'96 Turbo, '97 T5)
'95-'97: 240hp 2.3-liter turbocharged 5-cylinder ('95 T-5R, '97 R)

I have however seen a 2.5L 20V 850 here in Colorado - I was blown away and photographed it though I've long since lost the photo.
 
I was digging around auf der netz, and I was quite disappointed by the W124 and Volvo 240 selections. Furthermore, I was researching insurance prices, and it would appear as though the W124 would actually cost me an extra $40 a month over the Jetta... Or, about the same as a late-model MKIV 1.8T or VR6 model. I was surprised as well when I found out that you only save about $10 a month going down to the 190E, one of my favorite Benz models.

Hmmm. I think I may be able to enjoy the newer Vee-Dub a bit more... Nearly $200 a month is pretty much in Camaro territory, and if I'm going to spend that much, I'm going to get a Camaro.
 
What do you pay per month for insurance Brad?

For comparison's sake anyway. PM me if you want.
 
Not a problem, so to answer the question, I pay $120 a month for full-coverage ($250 deductibles) on the Jetta over at State Farm. I was using Allstate figures for estimates, as they're currently rating my car at about $140 a month. The Mercedes models were both hovering around $175-185 according to Allstate with $500 deductibles and good student discounts, which seems exceedingly high for a car that old. When I can get into a Camaro, usually, for about the same price (or a little more), it just seems to make more sense to me... Particularly when the Z/28 will get nearly the same gas mileage.
 
I've only been in an accident once, and it wasn't my fault. Other than that, there was the side-swipe from a few months ago, but that didn't raise my rates either. I was actually really surprised when the price actually dropped when it went from my Mother's name to my name on the car, so I really wouldn't consider $120 to be too bad for a Jetta. My Fox that I had before it, with PLPD, was nearly $80 a month, so a $40 increase for an altogether "better" car was worth it.

...This all being said, paying an extra $20-30 a month for a MKIV 1.8T GLS or Wolfsburg doesn't seem like a bad deal either...

My problem always is that I can afford X car, but I can't afford the insurance. Thats why I usually check that first before I consider anything.
 
It's odd - you pay only what I would assume you'd pay given the difference between our two cars. However I have a ticket on my record (for going 76 in a 35 - though I 'officially' pled it down to 'careless driving'). You'd think I'd be paying a lot more.
 
get the Jeep Cherokee XJ, its a much better car, plus you can wheel it!! yes, im a Jeep nut
 
When I can get into a Camaro, usually, for about the same price (or a little more), it just seems to make more sense to me... Particularly when the Z/28 will get nearly the same gas mileage.

What are you waiting for?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...008&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=7
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...08&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=20
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...08&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=33
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...08&transmission=&doors=&max_price=&cardist=50

You know you want...

2256744911.224560603.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg


That car is number two on my favorite F-body list behind the 1969 Camaro SS. Look at it...good god that is one ****ing awsome beast. How can you resist that? Even the automatic transmission is acceptable in this car. Though the desirable model is definately a black on black WS6 w/T56 6spd coupe. Mmmmmm.
 
Problem is, I don't have the cash right now. I'm really not looking to spend much more than $10K on my next car, particularly with me being in school and everything... So per usual you not only have to be able to afford the car, but the insurance as well. The Camaro/Firebird is just out of range for that...

I did find an excelent 2004 GTO for sale near me the other day (probably about as close to perfect a car could get for me, American power, German chassis, etc), but I can't afford it. SUXORZ.

I'll drive the Jetta into the ground, or at least until I'm done with school. Otherwise, I may go looking for a "cheap" Second-Gen Z/28 or LT to play with just for the hell of it...
 
You didn't even comment on teh sexiness. This is pure sex!

2256744911.224560603.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
 
...Not without a Screamin' Chicken on the hood! But yes, a very good-looking car. The wheels were a nice touch.
 
Remember, Brad. Get the Mercedes. Get it.

After all, bank vaults are patterned after those cars. They may not have succeeded, however, because the Mercedes is still stronger.
 
Back