I got the E320! (Pictures on page 6)

  • Thread starter Thread starter High-Test
  • 123 comments
  • 116,132 views
Are the 98-99 V70/XC70s as reliable as the other two considerations of mine? (240/W124)

A V70 XC would be safe, economical, and great in the snow, right?
 
The V70's are a good looking reliable comfortable car indeed. Don't count on the insurance being cheap however.
 
I looked at two cars today,

1994 M-B E320 wagon:

It's white/light gray, and it has 136,000 miles. It runs very well, And I like what I see of the interior. I didn't get to test drive it though. price -7900

1998 Volvo V70 XC

Dark Green, I really liked the ride and acceleration, but I'm being turned off by the reviews on the internet, as the Check engine light incurs massive problems and the car eats brakes and headlights for dinner. I might stray from it due to the fact that many consumer reviews have been less than positive. But, I am very attracted to the All wheel drive it has to offer. It also has 108,000 on the odometer.

Are the electrical woes manageable if I have a good repair shop? Ford must have screwed Volvo up, because the V70 is starting to seem the polar opposite of the 240.

Half of the XC reviews are very poor, and the other half are very pleased with the car.

And, my budget has increased to around 7,000 now.
 
If you're looking at wagons, you must at least look at one VW Passat wagon. At the very least they are quite pleasing to drive, and with the wide variety of engine, transmission, and driveline options made available, there is bound to be one for you. I'm partial to the later W8 4MOTION models, particularly those with a stick, but they're worth about double what you're looking to spend.

...You could probably find a nice Passat with the 1.8T for a good price...
 
For the record, there are a total of fifteen six-cylinder MX-3s for sale on AutoTrader... in the entire nation. Compare that to fifteen 2002 Toyota Camrys for sale within fifty miles of my ZIP code.

So excellent and rare, then?

Imagine the people you can bore at dinner parties when they ask the simple question "So... what do you drive?".
 
If you're looking at wagons, you must at least look at one VW Passat wagon. At the very least they are quite pleasing to drive, and with the wide variety of engine, transmission, and driveline options made available, there is bound to be one for you. I'm partial to the later W8 4MOTION models, particularly those with a stick, but they're worth about double what you're looking to spend.

...You could probably find a nice Passat with the 1.8T for a good price...



:lol: He wants reliable transportation Brad.
 
Zing!

Actually the B5 (and B5.5) Passat was a decently well-built Volkswagen for the era, but compared to some of the years of the MKIV Golf and Jetta, almost anything looked good. The later B4 Passats weren't too bad either, but I personally would take that chance on a B5(.5) for the looks alone.
 
The Merc wagon is a decent car--and I'd slightly put the reliability in its favor over the Volvo. But, the Volvo is definately the better looking inside and out of the two. And frankly, more comfortable as well.
 
But, I called the dealer today after a morning sinus surgery, and told him I wasn't going to consider that vehicle anymore. Its radio wouldn't turn on, which seems to be one of the signs of electrical problems in that vehicle. the dealer couldn't figure it out, so they intend to sell it at auction. It's nice that they didn't tell me that before I started seriously looking into that vehicle-not.

The search for a W124 or 240 continues. MyDad and I will probably look at a couple W124s sunday.
 
Used VW, like a mk1-mk3 golf/rabbit. They seem to be quite sturdy cars that have a nice lifespan.
 
Yes. REALLY sturdy...

Mk1 (plus VW Beetle test):


Mk2:
​
 
My '93 Fox was based on a lot of the MKII chassis, and I can attest to the safety of the vehicle. I was involved in a near head-on collision, and while the car was completely totaled, all of the doors opened, the front window didn't shatter, and the interior held up. Hell, the motor was still running after the accident... Mind you, this was at 45 MPH.

Photos?







​
 
Half of the XC reviews are very poor, and the other half are very pleased with the car.

And, my budget has increased to around 7,000 now.

From personal experience... a friend of mine had a 1999 Volvo V70 XC and despite being very proud of it had nothing but problems with it. I had a 1996 Volvo 850 Turbo (different engine, same platform) and had nothing but problems with it. I'll never buy another Volvo as long as I live - he just bought a 2004 S60R. Take that as you will.
 
I looked at the '93 240 SE with 96,000 miles, and that isn't looking promising. The seller flew Helldivers in World War Two, and he wants 8100 dollars for the car. The price, and the fact that he didn't let me drive it, rules that one out.

1994 W124 will be tested tomorrow.
 
wow nice job on the car man??? what the hell did you hit anyways yssman????
go look for a mid 90's Honda.. Civic,Accord,Prelude it don't matter
 
what the hell did you hit anyways yssman????

Some Asian chick pulled out in front of me in a late-model Chevrolet Cavalier. It was a bit wet that morning, and it being a yellow light with my distance to the intersection, it was too late for me to break without sliding through the light. She pulled right out, didn't give it enough gas, and both front drivers sides hit. Needless to say, my car "won" that fight... Chalk it up to the mostly steel construction of the car.

I wasn't given a ticket, as I was completely within the right (doing the speed limit, knowing that I wouldn't have been able to stop). She got a ticket, the officer quite angry with her (it happened just outside of the East Kentwood High School Athletic Field)... When the Asian chick's insurance agent called me, she said it was her fourth accident since she had started driving, and it sounded as though she wouldn't be anymore. When her Asian mother showed up in an FX45, driving like an idiot (the cop got even more pissed) and yelling in whatever language it was, I assumed it was hereditary.

I love the Kentwood and Kent County Police officers. They listen well, and make the best decisions when it comes to situations like these. My last "accident" that I had to deal with (a side-swipe on the East Beltline), the Kentwood cops were awesome at handling it. Of course, the chick who hit me was pissed that I had to get the cops involved, but in order to get my car fixed, I had to...
 
yea you'd be surprised how many people just want to trade paperwork and leave when it comes to accidents. when i got T-boned in my Accord, the guy practally begged me not to call the police.i mean someone had to call. his 92 Ford F250 was sitting in the road leaking coolant everywhere.(while my Accord was parked on the side still running) needless to say he didn't have insurance btu i got the ticket(Long Story) but he got towed and i sped off
 
She didn't want to call the police, and I didn't want to either, but I had to file a report either way, so I did it. The Kentwood Police said I did the right thing, so I was fine with it. I'm sure it would have been a bigger hassle for me calling them up, having them come out, her getting a ticket, and going from there. Me simply filing a report didn't get either of us in trouble other than her insurance rates going up after having to pay the deductible on my car.
 
go look for a mid 90's Honda.. Civic,Accord,Prelude it don't matter

NO.
I don't really want a Honda. Maybe a '97 Accord EX, but I probably wouldn't.

I'm glad you weren't hurt Brad. :) Those crash pics are pretty ugly.
 
No, my crash pics are ugly..even the last one where my dog got ahold of it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/VonBlitzKrieg/daytona.jpg

I was 18 and that was my first car...a 1990 Dodge Daytona. And while traveling at 60mph a 1985 Ford F250 hit me headon going around the same speed. Airbag+seatbelt saved my life. I rather liked that car.
 
Yeesh... Glad you're both okay. An F250?! at 60?! Wow. The daytona must be one solid car.


I think we've decided on the '94 E320.

It's a whole lot more car than the 240, and it costs less. Every power gizmo works the first try, and it has a presence on the road that can only be had when controlling 3700 lbs of Tank. The steering is very precise, and the ride quality is great. My only beef with it is that it has an aftermarket CD deck that is difficult to use. But, it still works. :) Plus, the car's hefty weight and great traction control add up to pretty good driving in rough weather. I drove it in a very hilly part of town with bad roads, and I was impressed with how the car didn't wobble everywhere when the road undulated. Acceleration isn't great, but I was driving it as if the road was made of eggshells. It certainly does have more get-up-and-go than the 240 I looked at.

Dang... At this rate, I'll be an M-B snob before 20.. :D

I asked for suggestions, and GT..land sea air..P delivered. :)
 
You'll be very happy with the Mercedes. Infact you'll fall in love with the car in less than a week. Get some pics up when you can. 👍
 
You'll be very happy with the Mercedes. Infact you'll fall in love with the car in less than a week. Get some pics up when you can. 👍

👍 my girlfriend is jealous
 
Will do. The deal will "go down" tomorrow. I'm so happy!
 
1254134944.206925996.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg


Someone tell GM and Dodge that this is how you should do an interior. THIRTEEN YEARS AGO. This interior looks better than most stuff they bring out NOW.

Good clean looking car High-Test. You'll love it.
 
the only interior gripes I have are the windshield wipers that are only three speeds, and the gauge cluster that is not back lit... everything else feels very modern and of course very well build.



The next step High Test is to now sell that car to me for half what you payed for it then I will give you my car for free :sly:

trust me its a good deal
 
****, I'll trade him my Camaro for it! RWD American (almost) V8 power (sort of)!
 
I SEEN IT FIRST!!! all you would have to do is make it black and 4matic and it would probably be pretty damn close to my dream car
 
Back