I got the E320! (Pictures on page 6)

  • Thread starter Thread starter High-Test
  • 123 comments
  • 116,132 views
:drool: Nice, clean looking car. 👍
 
1254134944.206925996.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

...This interior looks better than most stuff they bring out NOW...

Which car(s) are you talking about?

...Still, I agree. Thats how it should have been more than a decade ago, but they've gotten better. Problem is these days, my 12 year old VW has higher-grade plastics than most "good" Toyotas and Hondas, furthermore, gets better fuel mileage as well (I'm looking at YOU Scion xB...).
 
1254134944.206925996.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg


Someone tell GM and Dodge that this is how you should do an interior. THIRTEEN YEARS AGO. This interior looks better than most stuff they bring out NOW.

Good clean looking car High-Test. You'll love it.


Yeah, someone should have told them that THIRTEEN YEARS AGO. Not now. Check out the CTS sometime.


Also how come no-one rags on Nissan for interiors?
 
I did for quite a long time. I reserve the right to. My Step Mom had an '03 Altima, despite my near-constant suggestions to get an Accord instead. But hey, what does some kid who has spent the majority of his life talking about cars know...
 
I did for quite a long time. I reserve the right to. My Step Mom had an '03 Altima, despite my near-constant suggestions to get an Accord instead. But hey, what does some kid who has spent the majority of his life talking about cars know...


My dad doesn't understand why I don't like to reccomend the Camry anymore..... :indiff:
 
Which car(s) are you talking about?

...Still, I agree. Thats how it should have been more than a decade ago, but they've gotten better. Problem is these days, my 12 year old VW has higher-grade plastics than most "good" Toyotas and Hondas, furthermore, gets better fuel mileage as well (I'm looking at YOU Scion xB...).

That's what his '94 E320 estate's interior looks like.

Yeah, someone should have told them that THIRTEEN YEARS AGO. Not now. Check out the CTS sometime.


Also how come no-one rags on Nissan for interiors?

The CTS is ok, but no where NEAR Europe. And in terms of American cars the Lincoln LS has the best interior for an American car I've ever seen. And frankly, Nissan has to have the best Japanese interiors I've ever sat in--13 years ago and now. Subaru (Legacy in particular) comes second. Toyota used to be pretty damn good--but its like they've stalled and gone on the cheap.

I did for quite a long time. I reserve the right to. My Step Mom had an '03 Altima, despite my near-constant suggestions to get an Accord instead. But hey, what does some kid who has spent the majority of his life talking about cars know...

The Altima has always had a cheap feeling interior--until they updated it in 2006. Now its got a near Maxima quality interior.

My dad doesn't understand why I don't like to reccomend the Camry anymore..... :indiff:

The Camry used to be ok (mid/late-90's)--but now they are just Fisher Price toy plastics.
 
I'm impressed, menglan. Very nice, clean example of a bank vault that you've found.
 
Thanks for the positive comments. It will be mine Tuesday. I can't wait.

"Bank Vault"... I like it. The car needs a name, though.

My Chevy was "Biscuit" because all it did was flake, and Biscuit sounds like Biscayne, the Saab was "Ranting Swede" because all it ever did was beep at me, and my first car, a 1992 SC300 was gravy. Because it wasn't the biscuit. Get it? Biscuit and Gravy!? I crack myself up. :dunce: What to name the wagon? Hmm.. I'll think about that. You guys kindly suggested this vehicle, can you help me name it?


More pics:






:D


This interior looks better than most stuff they bring out NOW...
I think it's just the placebo effect of the car being a tank. :)
 
Also how come no-one rags on Nissan for interiors?

I have no idea. Been in a Pathfinder lately? What a joke.

But... been in a Jeep Patriot lately? Ouch.
 
congrats. or should it be welcome to the dark side.

a few things.
preventative maintenance is cheaper than repair on these
check your wiring harness right now. dont pull, push or prod it. just pick a connector and see if the harness is decomposing. common problem on MY 94 and 95 124s.
look carefully in the expansion tank for signs of oil. if you see any, you have a headgasket in the near future.
no need to use platinum plugs. regular bosch or beru copper are just fine.
premium is not absolutely necessary, but if you do use regular, dont accelerate harshly and also run a tank of premium every once in a while.
you cant (inexpensively) remove the hydraulic self levelling rear suspension. leave it alone. if it gets hard you typically need new accumulators.
pray you dont have a bad AC evaporator. no seriously, pray. dash has to come out for replacement.
if the struts for the rear liftgate are loose/ broken/ faulty, it will manifest itself as a noise in the A or B pillar. i cant remember which.
the spare wheel is a great place to install a subwoofer
cruise control can be iffy.
find a good independent mercedes mechanic if you arent going to do your own maintenance.
euro lights. stat. the 94/95 favelift models have better lighting than the rest of the range, but its still no on par with genuine euro lights.
there is no cupholder. like a proper german car.
its not a BMW.
start getting friendly with the good folk at mercedes shop dot com. all one word.
MBTex FTW!!!!!👍


youve picked a hell of a car. mine is my last car. if it dies it gets replaced by another one. i should start hoarding them for my later years.
 
Wow. Thanks, Neanderthal. Between you and Land sea air, I think gtp will prolong this car's existence. I intend to do exactly that about the wiring harness. Thanks to an article in a link in land sea air's sig, I can probably find most of the connections without much problem. It's just a visual check, right? to see if insulation is missing/wires frayed/buildup on the wires?

I've been praying about the evaporator. It's a $3k fix, isn't it?

Welcome to the dark side? :nervous:
 
Back in the '80's my mom had a very nice 1973 MB-Z 240 sedan.
IT wasn't quick, but would pull 8 hours at 80 MPH like a walk in the park.
My only complaint was that it wasn't a pleasant place to spend 8-hrs.
My mom's car rode kind of harshly. It was always longer from the Monterey peninsula to the Los Angeles Area in the Benz, than it ever was in my Dad's old Country Squire. (Course, the wagon did have a 429 SCJ under the hood)
They are indeed expensive to fix. My old man could fix just about anything. The Benz thwarted him.
Mosly though, it was die panzerwagon. It weighed more than most homes, It held the road like no other car I've ever driven. The only car that I've driven the was more "flingable" was a good friend's Camaro.
 
If you don't mind the gas mileage and can afford a little extra - then things always look good on sexy rims. My Dad had (still has, somewhere) a 1988 300TE. It was a belting car, but the thread is right, when things go wrong, sheesh. His autobox went pop. It was never good again when a recon one went in. Mind you, it had done 200,000 miles. :)
 
congrats. or should it be welcome to the dark side.

a few things.
preventative maintenance is cheaper than repair on these
check your wiring harness right now. dont pull, push or prod it. just pick a connector and see if the harness is decomposing. common problem on MY 94 and 95 124s.
look carefully in the expansion tank for signs of oil. if you see any, you have a headgasket in the near future.
no need to use platinum plugs. regular bosch or beru copper are just fine.
premium is not absolutely necessary, but if you do use regular, dont accelerate harshly and also run a tank of premium every once in a while.
you cant (inexpensively) remove the hydraulic self levelling rear suspension. leave it alone. if it gets hard you typically need new accumulators.
pray you dont have a bad AC evaporator. no seriously, pray. dash has to come out for replacement.
if the struts for the rear liftgate are loose/ broken/ faulty, it will manifest itself as a noise in the A or B pillar. i cant remember which.
the spare wheel is a great place to install a subwoofer
cruise control can be iffy.
find a good independent mercedes mechanic if you arent going to do your own maintenance.
euro lights. stat. the 94/95 favelift models have better lighting than the rest of the range, but its still no on par with genuine euro lights.
there is no cupholder. like a proper german car.
its not a BMW.
start getting friendly with the good folk at mercedes shop dot com. all one word.
MBTex FTW!!!!!👍


youve picked a hell of a car. mine is my last car. if it dies it gets replaced by another one. i should start hoarding them for my later years.

This is some valuable information indeed. I might test drive an E320 myself if I find one cheap enough, so this information that is very valuable to High-Test as well as the rest of us. +rep
 
Yeah my friend has a 95 E320 and his wiring harness is getting ready to go kaput. One of the main reasons I'm glad I own an older 103 engine car but I do love the extra power when I drive his.
 
welcome to the dark side= it can be slightly addictive.

[Breathing][James Earl Jones]Yes, Emperor.[/James Earl Jones][/Breathing]

:D

I can't wait! One day...
 
Well, I think I'm in automotive heaven.

It rides like a dream. I'm still getting used to the different locations of the power option controls. I'm becoming partial to the purr of the I6. The accelerator is stiff, but the steering is perfect, and the brakes are great. I was amazed at how tightly my battleship turns. I got the rear seat cushion back on the folding rear seat panel, and that was the only major thing wrong with it. I'm not sure what to do about the lack of a glovebox or good place to keep my small toolkit and jumper cables. I'll figure it out somehow.

The dealer got overzealous with the coolant, as the car was below 100 C and squirting coolant out of a valve under the coolant fill cap. The dealer said that if it was under 110 I'm fine, and the squirting isn't a big deal but should be looked at. That's getting taken care of at no charge to me tomorrow.

Pics tomorrow... I'm so happy. Man, it feels good to be driving RWD again. Or, the placebo feels good. :D
 
Sorry to double post.

It's picture time!!






Driving is a joy again. It's not drudgery anymore. Plus, I'm glad I got a wagon. Friday I leave for North Dakota State university, and everything I'm taking except for an end table and a TV fits inside. The Car is a cavern.

neanderthal- I looked around at the various connection points. They all seem to be in great shape. There isn't any corrosion, and the wires aren't frayed at all or missing insulation. It all seems to be there.
 
Thats sexy. I love wagons, so I'm a bit jealous. Congrats on the purchase and best of luck at school!
 
neanderthal- I looked around at the various connection points. They all seem to be in great shape. There isn't any corrosion, and the wires aren't frayed at all or missing insulation. It all seems to be there.

the harness might have been replaced if thats the case. dont take that for granted. keep underhood temperatures cool as possible, dont mess with wiring system.
its an easy repair if you half a brain. a little tedious, but my mom could do it if she applied herself. and she doesnt even change bulbs in her car.

good luck. like i said. start reading everything you can about your car at mercedes shop dot com. one word.
its a W124 with an M104 engine.
some of the stuff is not particular to your car/ engine/ car and engine combo. ie, the odometer may stop working. common on older mercedes. easy fix but not worth my time.
 
Your license plate is going to start with HTM or HTN.

The car looks great. :D Remove that annoying dealer badge!!
 
That interior looks to be in perfect shape! Enjoy your MB estate, you know you made a couple of people jealous here. ;)
 
Oh...wow...that's pristine.

I want one. even If it's only a 190E.
 
neanderthal - I've been getting myself familiar with the tech articles at mercedesshop.com.

How cold should it run usually? It hovers between 80 and 100 degrees celsius, depending on whether or not I'm on the highway. I don't see any oil in the expansion tank yet, so that's a good sign. And, the AC blows nice and cold. That makes me happy in the 103 degree Kansas City weather.

Doug- The sticker is off now. Looks better now, even though it's filled up with everything I own and kinda dirty.

I'm very happy with it. I still marvel at the fact that the windshield spray comes out in the shape of the VW logo.
 
buy the E class owners bible from Bentley books good read and very useful too. as long as the coolant doesn't go over 120c then you shouldn't worry, one simple thing to do is turn the ignition all the way on without starting the car and make sure all your warning light bulbs come on. all should come on except high beam and parking brake light if I remember correctly, also SRS light should go off after several seconds. Enjoy your new Merc!!!
 
Yup. They all go on except the Parking brake and High beam. SRS takes three to five seconds to cut out. Cool. I won't worry about the coolant then.
 
neanderthal - I've been getting myself familiar with the tech articles at mercedesshop.com.

but not just the tech articles. read a tech article then do a search for M104 or W124 or 300E, pick a thread, read and digest. learn as much as you can. theres a lot of people out there who like to just ask questions but not use the search function. just about anything you need to know about em has been asked and answered.
learn the most common faults of the above mentioned three search items. see what has been done on your car, and anticipate whats to come. remember prevention is better, and cheaper, than cure.

How cold should it run usually? It hovers between 80 and 100 degrees celsius, depending on whether or not I'm on the highway. I don't see any oil in the expansion tank yet, so that's a good sign. And, the AC blows nice and cold. That makes me happy in the 103 degree Kansas City weather.

for AC, i dont like to move it about a lot. i set it at 75 which is cool enough on hot days and warm enough on cold days. i leave it on EC as much as possible, (no compressor engagement, just fan) and then when i think its unbearable ill engage the actual AC by pushing the button to the left of the EC button. ill usually also recirculate the air (circular notation above AC controls. near hazard switch. recirculate stays on if compressor is engaged but will disengage after ~5 minutes if the compressor isnt.) same for fan speed, just leave it on auto.

anything below 120 is fine. but you dont want it sitting near 120 for extended periods. on great thing about these cars is the the temperature gauge is a real gauge, not a dummy one that doesnt move if the temp falls within certain parameters. learn to watch it.
most people freak out about temps that are over 100. not a big deal. the cooling system is pressurised. that increases the boiling point of water. also, the antifreeze/ coolant in the system increases boiling point. your aux fans should come on when the AC is on or when the temps get to about 105. you can hear/ feel them come on. as long as they come on when they are supposed to you should be ok. they go off at just below 100, i think 95.
of course it neednt be said that as soon as you see your temperature spike you need to turn your heater on, full blast. that should help to cool it.

in my car (which still needs head work, eats oil (a quart/ 1000 miles is acceptable according to mercedes BTW, mine is less than that) and still needs infrequent water added) runs mostly water in summer (water has greater heat dissipation than coolant. i dont need to worry about below freezing temps in so cal.) and i add some anti freeze when it starts to get cold.
one thing to look out for vis a vis temps is that stop and go traffic will not allow adequate air to pass and help in cooling. so your transmission may get really hot but you wont know coz the gauge is for engine temps. so try to keep moving coz you dont want heat soak. not that that should be a problem. the 722.4 is a tough, reliable transmission. but remember than if youre stopped and your temps are high but "acceptable" that the transmission isnt necessarily getting the best deal there. i leave a braking space in traffic so im usually creeping anyway.

I'm very happy with it. I still marvel at the fact that the windshield spray comes out in the shape of the VW logo.

you can adjust the spray pattern by inserting a small sharp object like a pin in the nozzle and orienting it where you want it to spray.


one thing that i do, that everyone should do, is when i first turn my car on, instead of just starting the car, i turn the key to where the lights all come on. you can hear the fuel pumps come on by the hissing sound near the RR wheel. this pressurises the fuel system and fuel is ready to be immediately injected. they only go for a second or two, and shut down. then i crank it. makes for faster, easier starts than just cranking it. gets oil pressure built up quicker too when the car starts quicker. less wear on bearings.
 
Back