I like a good challenge but...

• Thread starter Ben78
  • 116 comments
Canada
(Outaouais) Québec.
XxBen78xX
I'm an above average driver but I have no idea on how to tune a car with GT5 settings. I tried some of the tunes for the Subaru and the car doesn't turn at all. I had to put weight on the car and it handles like a boat, the Fiat race, I'm 18 seconds behind and the other one, same thing, to the point where I can't see myself winning any of those.

Can anyone be precise about what to tune, what to add (ballast) and all ?

I did search but people know what they're talking about, I don't.

First try the fiat untill you gold it.
You dont actually need any tuning, its all about being smooth.
Put on the upgrades flywheel, twin plate and the 5"gearbox. Thats all you need (66bhp+1000kg).
The cars are slow so you dont really need to brake, instead lift of the gas and only tab brake when needed.

If i remember correctly, when you have a split of 27seconds starting on lap 4 you can come first.

I wanted to edit the missing pieces but like bombe32 said, do that and keep it smooth.

Last edited:
The Fiat:

Fully adjustable suspension
*Ride height: F +25 R -25
Transmission
*The 5-speed close gearing
Exhaust
*Sports exhaust
*The cata-something (also exhaust, costs 500)
Body
*Window weight reduction
Add the best flywheel and clutch and you should be good to go.

Then power limit the Fiat to the allowed bhp. If you can't win using this then you'll just have to practice.

I managed to gold the Fiat event after about 10 tries. My strategy was to make sure I turned consistent laps in the 2.04 range.
My tuning:
Lower ride height -9 rear, -10 front
Toe out -2 front
Camber -2 rear
Flywheel, clutch, chassis rigidity,racing transmission, and weight reduction to minimum.

Well, I finished in 2nd place the 1st time I tried, with a stock Fiat, but tuned with restrictions (power limiter and added weight), I think I don't have enough speed to catch 1st.

The Subaru... well that one is painful, it doesn't turn, even with tuning the car and adding weight.

The Lotus, well, it spins but I'll try.

I tried again and can't do it.

Oh well, I tried. Too bad for me I guess.

The Fiat:

Fully adjustable suspension
*Ride height: F +25 R -25
Transmission
*The 5-speed close gearing
Exhaust
*Sports exhaust
*The cata-something (also exhaust, costs 500)
Body
*Window weight reduction
Add the best flywheel and clutch and you should be good to go.

Then power limit the Fiat to the allowed bhp. If you can't win using this then you'll just have to practice.
any other suspension settings???

any other suspension settings???

I ran -35 mm ride height front and rear

2.5 front camber
.5 rear camber

-1.5 front toe

Increased springs by 1 lb each. Dampening & rebound to 5

Front swaybar at 3, rear at 6.

Front and rear brakes both at 7.

The car barely understeers at all with these settings, and you can really carry a lot of speed.

You can easily win the race with only buying all the stuff that don't add pp (drivtrains, transmission, suspension). I went with the 5-speed close-ratio trans and won the race with 7 sec. Don't even need to customize anything.

i'm an above average driver and knowledgeable in tuning and i can't get close to the guy in the lead (10 sec. back)

the car has the lowest p/w ratio when it does not have any power add-ons installed

i'm an above average driver and knowledgeable in tuning and i can't get close to the guy in the lead (10 sec. back)

the car has the lowest p/w ratio when it does not have any power add-ons installed

Don't know if this is going to help you, but since you really don't need to tune anything, other than buying stuff, your driving style has to really smooth in theese kind of races, so you lose the least amount of momentum. I nearly braked any on my race, and had consistent 2:01 - 2:02 laps. Try and cut the corners as much as possible, and use all the track. Using the driving line will propably help you with that if you don't do it by nature. And focus on having the highest exit speed.

Last edited:
My Fait was already tuned, so I just used the power limiter to get it to 65(apparently it'll let you slide with 66). Should I just buy another stock one?

I'm not the best player in the world but it's possible..at first it may look too difficult but it's not impossible at all, don't be scared. The most difficult is the one with the elise imo. The one with the 500 like someone here said it's just about drive clean..i was using my totally modified one, downgraded to fit the restriction, without any tune. Golded at the...3rd try.
Edit: putting out every possible thing i mean, not just limiter etc
I'm happy with this new events.

i have experience on actual race tracks, its second nature for me to use all of the track and keep my momentum up....which is why its so puzzling to me that this is giving me such a hard time :banghead:

I prefer difficoult events insted of easy stuff with a bit of practice we all can do it, don't give up now. Use the 5 gear speedbox, be smooth... and fast :)

as i'm approaching the last corner before the quick chicane at the finish line, the car in 1st place is going through the last chicane....:(

still working on it

your driving style has to really smooth in theese kind of races, so you lose the least amount of momentum. I nearly braked any on my race, and had consistent 2:01 - 2:02 laps. Try and cut the corners as much as possible, and use all the track. And focus on having the highest exit speed.

This, period.

Great races, finally some real challlenge with the game again.

I golded Elise and Impreza, almost clean, I do not know how I tuned the Impreza but handles like a dream. Some suspension, tranny, LSD changes plus 25/75 drivetrain. I needed 6 tries and voila!

I did not even try the Fiat yet.

As others said it is a matter of smoothness throughout the track and overtaking in the right moment.

Amar I think is time for some inmaculate challenges, what do you think?

They're difficult but I much prefer the events I have to work at rather than ones you can win on your first try. Good prizes, finally rewards for skill and practice rather than time spent (wasted) on grinding.

This, period.

Great races, finally some real challlenge with the game again.

👍

I've golded the elise and fiat events at stock, without oil changes. The first few tries on each I came second but they are really nice challenges.

And for the fiat event, imo you shouldn't use 2rd gear. The 5th corner is a maybe 2nd gear corner but you get much better driver and torque in 3rd gear.

One thing you can do for the Fiat race is to upgrade the engine to stage 3, then use the power limiter to dial the power back to 65hp. The engine will end up with more torque, so you can lose a little less speed on the uphill sections. For all the other stuff, consult this: https://www.gtplanet.net/guides/index.php/Gran_Turismo_4_:_Tuning

As far as driving is concerned, just be smooth, use all of the track (including the kerbs) and be sure not to collide with the AI cars.

Don't know if this is going to help you, but since you really don't need to tune anything, other than buying stuff, your driving style has to really smooth in theese kind of races, so you lose the least amount of momentum. I nearly braked any on my race, and had consistent 2:01 - 2:02 laps. Try and cut the corners as much as possible, and use all the track. Using the driving line will propably help you with that if you don't do it by nature. And focus on having the highest exit speed.

So you say you are cutting corners:scared:?

I'm getting close. I have went from a 1.8 to a 1.5 second gap between me and first on the fiat race.

don't put a rear wing on the cars it causes major understeer for some reason, except for the elise probably need a wing for that (I did lol).
For the fiat you have to not lose any momentum for the whole race, if you hit a wall or another car or mess a gear change you need to restart.

In Trial, the tunnel has a "escape area" painted yellow.

Crossing their make you faster to the straight.

Won Fiat by 1 second, Lotus by 1.7 and Impreza by 1 sec (could've won by 4 seconds if I didn't crash in last lap).
Good challenge.

Back