I Love The Online Spectator Mode, How About You?

  • Thread starter Thread starter VBR
  • 31 comments
  • 3,787 views

VBR

Tatakae!
Premium
Messages
7,947
England
London
When I first heard of Spectator Mode I was quite excited because like many people I love watching motor sports, I've also a been self confessed replay whore ever since GT3 :D! However, when GT5 came out all I was getting was horrible lag in 99% of races I tried to watch, I only ended up seeing 1 that was any good.

Recently though, since PSN has been back, they're looking much better for some reason, & add to that the fact that I wired my PS3 to my router tonight, there's virtually no lag at all for me now. I'm having a great time watching my friends race online, tonight I saw 12 BMW's out on track on Tokyo at the Concours Club event & the racing was awesome!

Are there any other GT5 motor sport fans out there, or am I the only virtual voyeur on here?



:drool:
 
I only watch when I enter the room and a race is going on.

But having your PS3 wired is always a plus.
 
Oh no! How sad am I! Looks like I really am the only one! :lol:


:dopey:
 
VBR
Oh no! How sad am I! Looks like I really am the only one! :lol:

:dopey:

If public lobbies were running interesting races instead of "who has the most hp" contests, you wouldn't be alone.
 
No, I think spectator mode is wonderful. It's the ONLY time I venture into public lobbies. ;)

I only wish the lobby wasn't limited to 16 players AND spectators.
 
Yup, you are :P

LMFAO!!! :lol:


If public lobbies were running interesting races instead of "who has the most hp" contests, you wouldn't be alone.

I was watching an organised GT Planet event, it had great drivers & was awesome to watch. I could even save the replay after the race which I did & watched it again the next day too. :dopey:


I only wish the lobby wasn't limited to 16 players AND spectators.

That was one of the many little things I was disappointed with when GT5 came out as PD were saying we'd be able to have 32 in My Lounge. I was hoping for the ability to swap drivers at pit stops in online enduros, have race engineers issue orders via chat & have real stewards watch the race & dish out penalties. Shame PD never implemented the 32 in My Lounge, it would've opened up a whole new host of possibilities.


👍
 
its much more better to take part in competition, than watch it
 
its much more better to take part in competition, than watch it

Hell yeah! I love racing more than watching it, but I love watching others race more than watching the half the crap that's on TV nowdays!



:sly:
 
Im a big fan of watching replays and spectating races. My only real complaint with it all is the lack of YouTube video upload option. That feature would have saved me a couple hundred dollars for a component cable enabled TV tuner card.
 
I've watched a ton of remote racing, but haven't actually touched online spectating. I'm definitely going to give this a try sometime next week. With F1 up and Le Mans running now, my racing addiction is peaking..... and I want MORE!
 
I've tried this before,but even with my "high speed plus",things twitch around everywhere.If it wasn't for that I would probably do this too lol
 
If I watch people online it's only when I join a room with a race already in progress. Then I end up thinking 'I can beat these guys', and looking forward to the next race.

However, if it's a saved replay of a race I was in, then I enjoy watching it from different perspectives, etc, especially if there was an incident or something during the race :]
 
tony_panda
its much more better to take part in competition, than watch it

I agree, but I have learned some new lines or tactics on certain tracks from watching better drivers :)
 
In my opinion, it's no different than B-Specing.
 
For anyone racing in organized online competitions and leagues, spectator mode is great.

I kind of wish there were even more slots so that you could have one person to record a race via capture card using the Spectator mode, jumping around between the action on track.
 
If public lobbies were running interesting races instead of "who has the most hp" contests, you wouldn't be alone.

There have been a few good LMP/Group C rooms running at la Sarthe in the past few days. Hopefully they'll stick around for a while after Le Mans finishes.
 
you are not alone, i sometimes just watch too.
 
May seem like a silly question; but is there a way to have the spectator camera automatically cycle through the driver's cameras to follow different cars while watching?
Ive had the game since relase but never paid attention to replays or online for that matter. however since the latest patch Ive been going online alot.
 
May seem like a silly question; but is there a way to have the spectator camera automatically cycle through the driver's cameras to follow different cars while watching?

There is no onboard cam when watching live races in Spectator mode, however you can still manually switch the camera to follow different cars by scrollin up to the drivers name list & clicking on their names.

👍


I've tried this before,but even with my "high speed plus",things twitch around everywhere.If it wasn't for that I would probably do this too lol

Make sure it's a wired connection, if it's not you're gonna get a heck more lag in spectator mode than when in race mode. Also, make sure the rooms you spectate in have at least a 3 star rating & that the latency bars are reading 4 or 5, any lower & you'll get more latency & a worse viewing experience.


👍
 
VBR
Hell yeah! I love racing more than watching it, but I love watching others race more than watching the half the crap that's on TV nowdays!



:sly:

I have to agree with you there.
I'm sure the GT races are more entertaining.
 
VBR
...tonight I saw 12 BMW's out on track on Tokyo at the Concours Club event & the racing was awesome! :drool:


Here's the replay file of the BMW race on Tokyo from Concours Club, it's very different from any online replay you've ever seen, as I wasn't in the race. I saved it after spectating the whole thing, & as a result you don't get the progressive lag when you're scrolling through the field of cars. The race is almost as smooth as when I watched it live, I hope you enjoy it.

Now that's what I'm talking about baby!


:D


PS: Here's a link to 7 replay files from my stock car racing event!
 
Last edited:
I've uploaded my race replays from the latest Saturday Stock Car Series event that I run here on GT Planet.

Click here to go to the download post!



👍
 
Last edited:
I enjoy watching too, especially at Cote D'Azur!
 
VBR
Make sure it's a wired connection, if it's not you're gonna get a heck more lag in spectator mode than when in race mode. Also, make sure the rooms you spectate in have at least a 3 star rating & that the latency bars are reading 4 or 5, any lower & you'll get more latency & a worse viewing experience.


👍
Hey thanks I will have to give that a try.I didn't think there was a difference between wireless and wired if you had 100% signal!!(ps3 is 2 feet from router)
 
Hey thanks I will have to give that a try.I didn't think there was a difference between wireless and wired if you had 100% signal!!(ps3 is 2 feet from router)


There is quite a big difference regarding lag in spectator mode, when watching iPlayer/ITV Player aswell. Here are another 2 great race replays I saved from online races (in alleen1's room), he always runs a great lobby, enjoy!



BMW M3's on Nurburgring GP/F!




:D
 
You can't change the camera in spectator mode and that's LAME.
 
You can't change the camera in spectator mode and that's LAME.


You can't change the camera angle in any other replay mode either, as far as I'm aware!
 
What do you mean you cant change the camera angle during replays? Sure you can!
 
Back