I need some drifting tips...

• Thread starter Lain
  • 10 comments

Lain

Premium
United States
Pasadena, TX
Yaywalter
I'm having difficulties drifting in Gran Turismo HD... anybody have some pointers for me?

i usually go with a sports tyre till u get used to it... drive like time attack, brake late, wheels will lose traction, turn in, apply throttle throughout corner with countersteer, if u are carrying too much pace or not enough angle mid corner, i find the handbrake helps correct that.

three words: DFP or G25

...or Sixaxis!

Start off with a 4WD car, my tip would be the EvoIX. Put on R1's and just play arround a little. After a few laps you may be able to drift some corner on the track and then it's just to keep going. :) 👍

three words: DFP or G25

I have yet to link up my G25, to the ps3 and I need to do it soon,

I have just downloaded GTHD and found drifting very easy to get into getting 30, 39, 50 etc. ranking this week, I go with a simple N3 front, N1 rear, then just try the racing line through each corner, if you push you will find the car will naturally want to drift through the corners and you won't need to fight much to keep on top of it. Start with the capuchinno its very easy to control. If you are understeering have a quick tap of the handbrake to get the nose in, if the car is sliding out, just brake and turn in, if the car is oversteering just brake and countersteer, it shouldn't be to hard to get the susuki into the 5000's if you try the simple approach, then once you have developed a techinique you should be able to improve by yourself.

once you have developed a techinique you should be able to improve by yourself.

N3/N1 stagger isn't technique, it's just physically removing all grip from the rear end. If your idea of drifting is driving around with rubber on the front and soap on the rear then go ahead.

Same with AWD/R tires in my opinion. No offense, but that's not drifting... it's trash driving.

If you want to learn the sport we call drifting, you need to use an RWD with tires on all ends and not too sticky tires (N tires if this is anything like GT4). If you just want your car to go sideways then go ahead and do whatever you like... ASM understeer set to 20 seems to work fine for that, but I'm not sure if that made it to GTHD.

I have just downloaded GTHD and found drifting very easy to get into

Oh my bad:dunce:

As I mentioned I am new to drifting, I never mention I am a real drifter, but I still fail to see how a staggered setup is not 'real' drifting, he is a begginer why shouldn't he start with it easy and work his way into it, thats what I am doing and surprisingly succesfully.

If you want to learn the sport we call drifting
So your the expert I guess:scared: ,and who is the 'we' you speak of, all drifters? or just the good ones.

So your the expert I guess:scared: ,and who is the 'we' you speak of, all drifters? or just the good ones.

Drifting as a form of motorsports is already established. When was the last time you saw an AWD in a drifting tournament?

AWD "drifting" is in the same ballpark, but it's not the same game. The throttle balancing act and countersteering is what makes drifting awesome to watch, and that just isn't part of the AWD style... I'll slide AWDs (rallycross style) from time to time if I'm bored when racing, but it's nothing to show off unless you do proper stunts like 360 links, shifties, reverse drifts etc (watch TRi's videos if you wanna see what I mean)... But that's pretty much stunt driving and not so much drifting anyway.

But anyway, here's how to "drift" AWD:
- get a high power car (WRX or GT-R should do)
- equip N2 up front and N1 in the rear
- turn in (finding the right turn in point and speed is the "hard" part) and wait for the tail to whip out
- center the wheel and floor it
- drive away

Sorry to seem harsh, but it just doesn't have the finesse and style that makes drifting enjoyable to watch.

for specific tips you can look in the gt4 drifting forum...
the concepts are the same
Being able to drift a balanced car aka all four tires same compound...is a lot more admirable then drifting a mismatched tired car.

You wouldn't put michelin pilot sports on the front and walmart tires for the rear of your car...or would you?

The best bet is to learn on grippier tires then move down compounds till you are comfortable with grip levels.

Also ske is very well established drifter in the gt4 community so what he says is his advice and should be considered.

Back