I no longer have use of my left hand - UPDATE! Including pictures

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matt R
  • 175 comments
  • 9,326 views
Wow, dude, that really sucks to hear.

Well, I guess you at least still have that hand. It could have been worse, though the results of surgery aren't much better.:guilty:
 
Sorry to hear Jjacks,

The worst I have had done to myself is I accidentally speared myself in the wrist with my speargun (while I was snorkling in the sea), strangely I felt no pain, except when I tried to manually pull it out because I didn't want to go to the hospital :lol: (I was 14) also when the doctors cut the rest of the spear off with bolt cutters, I never took any drugs, except when they put me into theater for surgery.

Some special surgens had to be called in because they said it was in a very delicate position (Still stuck in my wrist) and for the first couple days I couldn't move my fingers in certain directions, it was weird, now all that is left is a scar, I was very lucky it wasn't worse.


Good luck with your healing and recovering process. 👍
 
Be thankful you didn't cut your hand clean off, and never take literally a doctor's diagnosis for recovery; the human body, when coupled with the mind, is a formidable machine that can overcome almost anything.
 
This is shocking. I wish you the best while you recover.
 
Very sorry to hear about the accident, and I wish you the best of luck for as complete a recovery as possible...

If laughter is best, I suppose then that I was dealt a bad hand.
Black comedy at it's finest :lol:
 
Very sorry to hear about the accident, and I wish you the best of luck for as complete a recovery as possible...


Black comedy at it's finest :lol:


"Did someone say Black comedy?"
 
First off,I am very sorry to hear that.

Second,I think I have a great inspirational video for you,you might have seen it,but still:




What is the message behind this video: NEVER GIVE UP. 👍
 
That's an amazing video. The guy's got better moves than I do for sure.
 
Sorry to hear Jjacks,

The worst I have had done to myself is I accidentally speared myself in the wrist with my speargun (while I was snorkling in the sea), strangely I felt no pain, except when I tried to manually pull it out because I didn't want to go to the hospital :lol: (I was 14) also when the doctors cut the rest of the spear off with bolt cutters, I never took any drugs, except when they put me into theater for surgery.

Some special surgens had to be called in because they said it was in a very delicate position (Still stuck in my wrist) and for the first couple days I couldn't move my fingers in certain directions, it was weird, now all that is left is a scar, I was very lucky it wasn't worse.


Good luck with your healing and recovering process. 👍

"This fish is doing exactly what I expect it too..hang on....BANG" ;)
 
I am very surprised at all the attention this thread has gathered. Everyones support is greatly appreciated and I thank you all for every well written post you've all made. My confidence in my situation has been increased by all of you're uplifting posts. Thanks to each and every one of you, you've helped more than you know. :)

My first physical therapy appointment went better than I and my therapists expected. I am able to bend my index and middle finger to the palm of my hand. Coming out of the gates thats an amazing feat. My wedding finger and pinky are still not able to move without me assisting them with my right hand. Those fingers share messed up tendons in my hand. I am not expected to be able to move those under my own power for another month or so.

When I got to my therapist, they took off the cast I had been wearing after my surgery. It was disgusting. The gauze in the cast was soaked with blood through all layers. My hand has over 200 stitches and looks so much better than I expected it to. I've got no idea how they pulled it off. My hand in no way looks nice, but they've pulled skin back over gaping holes I didn't think they'd be able too. I've got 4 metal rods sticking out of my hand still. If you look at your left hand from the top, I've got pins on either side of my wedding knuckle holding it steady and in place sine it was almost severed. I've got two more pins stickin out of the left side of my hand going through holding my pinky, wedding, and middle fingers together. The rods are keeping the bones of my fingers around and behind my knuckles from moving. (You're finger bones just don't stop when your fingers meet your hand.)

I've been informed that I most likely won't gain full control of my hand and won't be able to use it as a helper hand for 2 years. I'm hoping to proove them all wrong and be rehibilitated a year before they expect. With the support from friends, family, and GTPlaneteers, I'm sure I'll have no problem doing so. :)
 
My first physical therapy appointment went better than I and my therapists expected.
So, does she look good?

Seriously, I'm glad to hear you are doing good. It will be a long road but you have to remember that things have to reconnect and heal for everything to work properly again. Keep up with the therapy because atrophied muscles can slow things down or even prevent full recovery. [/MOTHER]


Good luck, man. Take it easy and glimpse down your therapist's blouse whenever she looks away. :D
 
Good luck, man. Take it easy and glimpse down your therapist's blouse whenever she looks away. :D

...and every once in a while, let her catch you - just so you can judge her response. You never know.... :sly:
 
I've been waiting for someone to post the "thats racist" kid.

I love this website.
 
When I got to my therapist, they took off the cast I had been wearing after my surgery. It was disgusting. The gauze in the cast was soaked with blood through all layers. My hand has over 200 stitches and looks so much better than I expected it to. I've got no idea how they pulled it off. My hand in no way looks nice, but they've pulled skin back over gaping holes I didn't think they'd be able too. I've got 4 metal rods sticking out of my hand still. If you look at your left hand from the top, I've got pins on either side of my wedding knuckle holding it steady and in place sine it was almost severed. I've got two more pins stickin out of the left side of my hand going through holding my pinky, wedding, and middle fingers together. The rods are keeping the bones of my fingers around and behind my knuckles from moving. (You're finger bones just don't stop when your fingers meet your hand.)

wwopix.gif


Foolkiller
Take it easy and glimpse down your therapist's blouse whenever she looks away.

ttiwwt.gif
 

:lol:

Also, my sister hurt her foot, and didn't exercise, and was hurt for 12 weeks (she didn't break anything, just pulled stuff). Now, if you don't do your stuff, you won't get better for a looooong time.

From,
Chris.
 
I agree about the pictures, I've had more than a handful of friens stop by and take pictures, I myself don't currently own a digital camera. I ran over my Kodak, don't ask me how.

I'm having to do therapy once an hour and it's already wearing on me. I'm going through my Loratabs way to quickly with all this bending and stretching going on. :/

I'll do my best to get some pictures posted up soon. I'll update myself or have a moderator change the title of the thread so you'll all know.
 
Jjacks, I don't believe we've ever spoken to eachother, but I'd still like to acknowledge the testament you've made towards your own character by apologising for inconveniencing us. I could only hope I would be able to cope with something like this the way you're bravely doing. I wish you the best of luck in overcoming this and sincerely hope you'll be able to recover at least somewhat of the use of your hand. I also honestly feel a "wow dude that sucks" just doesn't cut in this type of situation.

Good luck man.
 
I am very surprised at all the attention this thread has gathered. Everyones support is greatly appreciated and I thank you all for every well written post you've all made. My confidence in my situation has been increased by all of you're uplifting posts. Thanks to each and every one of you, you've helped more than you know. :)

My first physical therapy appointment went better than I and my therapists expected. I am able to bend my index and middle finger to the palm of my hand. Coming out of the gates thats an amazing feat. My wedding finger and pinky are still not able to move without me assisting them with my right hand. Those fingers share messed up tendons in my hand. I am not expected to be able to move those under my own power for another month or so.

When I got to my therapist, they took off the cast I had been wearing after my surgery. It was disgusting. The gauze in the cast was soaked with blood through all layers. My hand has over 200 stitches and looks so much better than I expected it to. I've got no idea how they pulled it off. My hand in no way looks nice, but they've pulled skin back over gaping holes I didn't think they'd be able too. I've got 4 metal rods sticking out of my hand still. If you look at your left hand from the top, I've got pins on either side of my wedding knuckle holding it steady and in place sine it was almost severed. I've got two more pins stickin out of the left side of my hand going through holding my pinky, wedding, and middle fingers together. The rods are keeping the bones of my fingers around and behind my knuckles from moving. (You're finger bones just don't stop when your fingers meet your hand.)

I've been informed that I most likely won't gain full control of my hand and won't be able to use it as a helper hand for 2 years. I'm hoping to proove them all wrong and be rehibilitated a year before they expect. With the support from friends, family, and GTPlaneteers, I'm sure I'll have no problem doing so. :)


They were dead wrong about me and dead wrong about my brother...I rember him taping a pencil to his finger so he could still play battlefield two.I was amazed at his will to overcome every obsticle and every pessimistic doctors advice ....He sliceed both his wrist down to the point of having NO nerves or tendons to both hands...his left almost was severed.. ( hey ...W S A D right ? ...ESSENTIAL FOR LIFE ! ) .

Dude go for it...whats the worse that can happen they may be right ..:) ?? Meh...FKM
 
I have been reading this thread with tears in my eyes at the inspirational stories from some of the guys (ok I am a wuss and it doesn't take much to make me tear up) . Good luck with your recovery Jjacks.

I must be a real sick Mother, when Jack gashed his leg taking pics to show you guys was one of the first things I thought of.
 
Don't we have enough of those in here? :p

Note: Non-Premium members won't see this. ;)


On a serious note, jjacks, I'm very glad to hear that you are recovering better than the doctors thought originally. Keep up the positive thinking, and it'll improve further still. 👍
 
Sorry to hear that man, you see it alot here in Norway, but I've never heard it so detailed, I can't imagine how it would be :indiff:
 
G.T
Don't we have enough of those in here? :p

Note: Non-Premium members won't see this. ;)
I wanna become a premium member!!! hehe :dopey:
 
First of many to come.

 
So what'll it be, this or the Meat Flap? I don't know, but this is pretty nasty. Is that a picture from right after you got it all hooked together again? I hope the scars get better.
 
Good God! Tell me the second (angled) cut is from the surgery. It's unbelievable what they're able to do medically these days. It's not long ago in human history that the medical procedure for that kind of injury was to stick a piece of wood in your mouth and saw the whole thing off.

How's the physical therapy coming?
 
That is a lot of stitches. I hope everything is proceeding well.

@ keef - I'll take this any day to Pako's meat flap. *shudders*
 
Back