I ruined my primary profile with the VGT selling glitch and now I regret it.

I don't think it's a matter of "having earned it" or "bragging rights", I think it's more basic than that: it's about the sensation of progress. You start with a cheap car and earn credits little by little to gradually move on up to more expensive and faster cars and bigger rewards.

However, as you get near the endgame, the sensation of progress gradually declines, as there's less and less new progress to be made. So I'm not so sure that someone who did the money glitch and regrets it today would be more satisfied today with the game, but chances are that they would have been more satisfied a year ago, when there was still progress to be made.

Satisfaction is earned.
If you personally feel you've 'cheated' the system, then it's natural to lose some of that feeling of satisfaction.

Individuals are exactly that ... individuals.
So some will experience a greater feeling of loss than others.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' with these things.

Satisfaction is earned.
If you feel you've 'cheated' the system, then it's natural to lose some of that feeling of satisfaction.

Individuals are exactly that ... individuals.
So some will experience a greater feeling of loss than others.

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' with these things.
I'd feel cheated out of my valuable time if I had to slog through that horrible career mode to build a garage. This is only true if satisfaction is derived by an individual player by playing the game as designed. For many of us the satisfaction comes from tuning and racing against real people and so our satisfaction is increased immensely by skipping the boring parts of the game completely.

I don't regret using a game save to get all 1200 something cars it's worth and every last one has a tune on it from Praiano to motor city and shaunm80 it took a week but it was worth it :)

I'd feel cheated out of my valuable time if I had to slog through that horrible career mode to build a garage. This is only true if satisfaction is derived by an individual player by playing the game as designed. For many of us the satisfaction comes from tuning and racing against real people and so our satisfaction is increased immensely by skipping the boring parts of the game completely.

Yes ... it's 'only true' if ..........

Thought I made that quite clear in my post you quoted.
An individual is an individual etc. etc.

Yes ... it's 'only true' if ..........

Thought I made that quite clear in my post you quoted.
An individual is an individual etc. etc.
It was clear...and I didn't disagree with it. I just added my individual perspective.

You dont earn money only in career mode. You can do it in online rooms, online quick matches and seasonals too. And with the 5x online bonus, you get a decent amount of money in several of those events.

Grinding is stupid in my opinion as you dont really need to get all those 20 million cars and you can have a lot of fun with plenty of cheap cars.

Just keep playing and keep buying cars as you wish. I play a lot online and when I want to try a new car I buy it and I never think about money. I never run out of it.

I did the VGT glitch a couple times, and regret not doing it more.

I buy this game to play online with friends, and to participate in as wide a variety of online activities as possible.

As it stands right now, I have roughly 15 Nissan Z33 '07, each of them built and tuned a specific way. Same for R33s, and many many other models. Most of them are fully upgraded, so even affordable street cars end up costing a couple hundred thousand.

For me, it boils down to the settings sheets. Both the way the Engine Stages and Weight Stages cross over between different sheets, and the limited number of sheets, require me to buy the same model multiple times just to have enough flexibility online.

For a drift car, I need at least a low power setup, a high power setup, and a wet weather setup. Even that's not truely enough though, as it would be ideal to have additional sheets for various competition setups, and maybe even a stance/cruise setup.

For racing it gets even worse, especially if you race at a variety of PP levels (and these days, to find a decent online lobby, you need flexibility). I basically need a car at each PP level (400, 420, 450, 475/480, 500, 525, 550), and many times multiple copies at a given PP level to accommodate for a variety of setups (short track, circuit, wet, and then specific setups for Nürb, Sierra, La Sarthe, SSR7, even Bathurst)

Edit: totally forgot, I also need different setups for different tire conpounds as well.

I totally understand where people are coming from in terms of "earning" cars within the game, as I used to enjoy that aspect back in GT1-GT4. However, due to the A-Spec concept being nearly unchanged, along with the introduction of online, I can't be bothered with all the single player grinding.

I work at a job to earn a pay check which allows to me to buy a console and game, which I then use to enjoy online racing with friends. I do not like having to "work" within the game to be able to enjoy it the way I would like (Especially with the current state of the online servers, where a massive amount of time is spent watching loading screens, dealing with lag, and trying to sort out the "I can't see playerX" glitch....only to have the room crash as the race is starting :banghead:).

Last edited:
I exploited the money glitch. I got all the cars I need, tuned them as I bought them. I regret nothing.

I don't have the time for grinding credits, I have school and exams to prepare/revise for. I`m not wasting my days grinding for credits, I would much rather glitch the credits so it saves me more time. Like, who cares anyway? In a way which people are against it. Not many of us have a lot of time on our hands. :drool: If we did, would be boring grinding anyway in my opinion.

I did the glitch just a single time and don't regret it. I purchased some good cars at the time (but not overly expensive) which made the game more fun and not seem like I was grinding for cars and credits. Once I got through the career mode I had enough credits and cars to last me for a while. And since then I've never had less than 25 million in the bank. I still buy my cars conservatively and make most of my money through keeping my bonus maxed and racing the Seasonals. Every now and then I'll go on a spree and spend millions on some higher priced cars, but I have all of the 20 million cars I want (most of them) and never feel like I cheated the system or feel like I didn't accomplish anything. I think my total credits through winning events is well into the 200 million range at this point with close to 600 cars.

I did that with GT4 - used a hack to have major credits. I meant I could buy and upgrade any car. It really killed the game as there was nothing to really strive for any more.

Having said this Aud$75 in real money to buy a top car is also ridiculous.

I never did the glitch but I play my game into the ground though. I've earnt over 500,000,000 credits & I spent over 100,000,000 credits on tuning. & I have all the 10, 15 & 20,000,000 cars. & I have three Jaguar XJ13s I bought & the one I won in the seasonal event last year.

You know, buy Merc VGT cheap, reload game, sell high, fill garage. I was on cloud nine. I had all the cars and life was good.

It has totally killed the replay value and now I feel crappy when I play. I tried playing a secondary profile but I don't have near the friends list there so seasonals suck and there's just something less fun when your earning trophies for your secondary account.

My advice to you is don't use exploits if you get the chance and you'll have a better time later in the game.

I know this has been patched out but I just needed to get it off my chest.

Well...... all I can say Is you should of done It In the first few days of release then you would of flied through the kiddie career mode thing easily and quick. And It was handy to kick start your your experience through online rather than doing every GT game by going back to square one and re doing everything over again. I wonder how many people actually hated the career mode. The career mode and the game is that easy I could get platinum In 2 hours.

Back in GT5 with the USD, grinding and collecting was really fun. I once hacked myself the last remaining 20 million car (Mark IV) and I did not like it. I did, however like the 10 Million F10, 12.5 Million F2007 because I earned them myself.

In GT6, grinding is not really fun, and all cars are always available, many are cheaper than in GT5 and the level system is gone so yeah... not so much fun

I would've quit playing GT6 far earlier if not for the glitch. People can speak for themselves about this "earning the cars" idea, but I'd rather be playing the game I bought with the cars I want/enjoy than end up hating the game because it'd insist on artificially extending my play time with grinding.

I'm an adult, I don't have hours on end of free time each day for something like that.

This.

When I was a kid it seemed like I had all the hours in the world to burn grinding at games. The amount of time I spent on Gran Turismo 3 was nuts.

Now I have no time for gaming, it's more like a quick instant bit of fun kinda thing. I really don't want a game which starts with crappy cars and tedious licence tests, I want something that is enjoyable from the start. After playing GT5 for a couple of hours I felt like I had been playing the same damn game for the past decade and mostly gave up with it. It doesn't help that PD's game design is repetitive and stuck in the 90's.

Now that I've completed the game, I fell the opposite. I wish I had more money, because Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta.
I got a dozen of them. I don't regret glitching credits for a second. In GT5 I had a viper for 100 000 credits very early on and it could easily win most races. Plus B spec, you could have credits without really earning them, so nothing is lost as far as I'm concerned.

For me, the sense of achievement comes from achieving a really hot lap time or producing a spectacular tune for a car. I think I'm still a little over 50% game completed but done 60 000+km.

No shame not doing the VGT glitch.

You know that the power of "Doing B-Spec like the wind while doing something else" is also works and look at me now enjoying all the premium cars plus semi premium available including all the ten million plus cars.

(With additional of weekly Seasonal golding and 200% bonus.)

(And I do that for my speed testing on my own thread. I dont do that any more because its boring and I already collect them all)

I got a dozen of them. I don't regret glitching credits for a second. In GT5 I had a viper for 100 000 credits very early on and it could easily win most races. Plus B spec, you could have credits without really earning them, so nothing is lost as far as I'm concerned.

For me, the sense of achievement comes from achieving a really hot lap time or producing a spectacular tune for a car. I think I'm still a little over 50% game completed but done 60 000+km.

For the guys that bought 12 or 20 of the 20 million credit cars, my question is why? (Please answer something other than "why not?")

For the guys that bought 12 or 20 of the 20 million credit cars, my question is why? (Please answer something other than "why not?")

Well, personally for me, since I will NEVER have the money to drive such iconic race cars that made history in real life, what better the place then a Sim racing game? That's why I buy the 20 million dollar cars. And for those that want semi-quick money. The latest seasonal expert, with the 5 day 200%, you can achieve 506,000 in about 7 minutes. And yes, there is great power in B-Spec as well, Nurburgring 24 minute Challenge, pick any of the Peugeot Courage's and let it go, you can go do something else, come back in 25 minutes, and you're $600,000 richer. I like doing this while watching movies. Easy money . . . .

If it's a car you use for racing online, it can be necessary, depending how competative you are.

The Lambo Muira is really good around 500pp. If a person decides to make the Muira one of their main horses, they will run out of settings sheets very quickly.

-a short circuit setup (shorter transmission)

-a long circuit setup (longer gearing, maybe lower and stiffer, as most GP style circuits in GT are very smooth)

-a short road/street course setup for tracks like Matterhorne, Madrid, Eiger, etc. (again, shorter transmission, but with softer suspension to handle the bumpier surfaces and curbs.

-individual setups for the big tracks like Nurb, La Sarthe, Sierra, Bathurst, and even SSR7.

-a person might want a stance/cruising setup to enjoy cruise lobbies.

-technically, it would be ideal to have a wet weather version of each of those variations I mentioned above.

So, that's roughly 15 different setups, for one car, at one PP level, on one tire compound!

Also, a person may want to experiment with buildings high power / high weight setups vs low power / low weight. You can also come up with different builds based around either high torque or low torque. This type of variation with builds is actually the most troublesome, as when you start swapping parts around, you can really mess up your tune. There's nothing worse than spending 10, 20, 30+ hours working on tuning a transmission, only to have everything get 🤬 up because you swapped a part which changes the redline.

Based on what I regularly see online at 500pp, SH, SS, and RS are the most common tire compounds used, with SM and RH popping up from time to time. So if you want to get serious about things, we had 15 setups, multiply that by the 3 common tire compounds (or all 5 if you want to get really crazy) and we're now up to 45 different setups, for a single car at a single PP level.

So in theory, a person would need 15 Lambo Muiras in their garage to accomodate all these various setups.

If you want to use that car at different PP levels, say at 525 and/or 550, the number of setup sheets and cars required multiplies again.

I realise this is taking things to the extreme, and there's probably not many people who do this...but at the same time, it's a legit reason to buy 20 of the 20mil cars.

For most cars that I use often, I have about 10 copies of the same model on average.

Like I said, I only used the VGT glitch a couple of times, and basically used it to buy and upgrade 90% of the RWD cars in the game when GT6 released so I could get maximum enjoyment out of playing online when the game was at its peak. Now, I keep about a 3-5mil float by staying on top of the seasonals, but I find even that to be annoying.

Due to knowing that I don't have the funds to really build a stable of Muiras or GT40s, I don't even bother looking at them, and to me, that's a shame.

I can't really describe how much more enjoyment and sense of accomplishment I get from honing my racecraft skills online (completing a clean pass or block), tandem drifting with friends, or shaving a few tenths of a second by tweaking a tune, than I do from grinding credits to gain access to some polygons.

Last edited:
For me it was because they have the highest resale. Once I had my 350 or so cars and $50Mill, you buy a bunch of the $20Mill cars and sell them for money as you need it. That way you never have to do a Seasonal or other race ever again if you don't want to.

I've never openly admitted this before, but I did the glitch too, & I did it an obscene amount of times actually! I have all cars worth over 500,000 credits, I have nigh on 50 mil, & I have about 40 of them 20 mil Jags stored up. I found the glitch a lot of fun to do & had a blast buying all the cars. I reveled in the irony & poetic justice of the situation, how Sony/PD were trying to "encourage" us to spend real money on in-game credits, then we get as much as we wanted for free. Awesome! I was really looking forward to collecting all the cars that way, but when I realised just how awful a solution the stockyard was, I gave up.

I mainly wanted to get enough cars to go online racing again, as online racing is 90% of the game for me, I loathe career mode & have no time for it whatsoever. When an opportunity came along for me to bypass career mode I jumped at it. I feel no regret & would do it again in a heart beat. However, I have no need to now as I got Project CARS & SMS have had the common sense to not lock the cars away in the first place.

If I'm gonna have to grind in GT7, I really don't think I will even want to buy it.

Last edited:
I had both. In the beginning of GT6 I did the glitch and bought a bunch of cars that I thought I would use.
But then my PS3 died and I didn't have a game save backup, so I had to start from scratch without the glitch.

When I stopped playing GT6 I only had 150 cars in my garage, being the one's I needed for WRS' and online racing leagues I was in. Car collecting has never been the reason I played GT.

I used the hell out of the glitch and do not regret it one bit. I've been playing GT since day one, and in all 5 (+) iterations I went through the grind. This time, I feel more like I just continued my GT5 career over into GT6. But I don't play GT6 for the 1 player aspect. I've got maybe an a license and have completed maybe 50% of the one player side of the game. I continued on the GT6 for league racing and drift lobbies. Grinding through to get the cars I wanted, for the umpteenth time was luckly avoidable this time around and I must say I have enjoyed the game much more because of it. Role palying games, side scrollers, GTA style and the such, I hunt the easter eggs and try to collect all I can. But in a racing games, the enjoyment is in the competition, not in finding all the little nooks and crannies. At least that is IMHO.

Back