I still think GT1 is the best

• Thread starter gt hc
  • 73 comments
I have played throughly every GT aside GT4 - which I own but it is sat there waiting till I set myself up with a PS2 system.

Gran Turismo is and still is a stunning game with an extremely unique feel to it.

This is mostly due to the top end cars being the kind of cars the average person of a working wage could afford and own - you can relate to the game so much.

Gran Turismo 2 - still stands as my favourite GT, with 650 Cars, Classic races, LeMans integration, Rally integration and just hours of fun - it's just a masterpiece.

Gran Turismo 3 - a great game with the F1 integration sneaking in, even more so LeMans Group A but it was a tad too easy for my liking..

Gran Turismo 4 - As said, only had played a small portion of GT4 (due to selling the PS2 at the time as no TV) - I enjoyed the back to serious attitude Polyphony applied to it and the development time - it seems to be the Gran Turismo 2 evolution.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Absolutely love this game - driving wise moreso than GT2 and by the look's of it will be the best GT to date.

As said, qualifications and common thing's such as Racing Car Modifications finalization mod for second hand/new cars need to come back for the complete experience.

That's just me and I could be wrong. :)

I have played throughly every GT aside GT4 - which I own but it is sat there waiting till I set myself up with a PS2 system.

Gran Turismo is and still is a stunning game with an extremely unique feel to it.

This is mostly due to the top end cars being the kind of cars the average person of a working wage could afford and own - you can relate to the game so much.

Gran Turismo 2 - still stands as my favourite GT, with 650 Cars, Classic races, LeMans integration, Rally integration and just hours of fun - it's just a masterpiece.

Gran Turismo 3 - a great game with the F1 integration sneaking in, even more so LeMans Group A but it was a tad too easy for my liking..

Gran Turismo 4 - As said, only had played a small portion of GT4 (due to selling the PS2 at the time as no TV) - I enjoyed the back to serious attitude Polyphony applied to it and the development time - it seems to be the Gran Turismo 2 evolution.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Absolutely love this game - driving wise moreso than GT2 and by the look's of it will be the best GT to date.

As said, qualifications and common thing's such as Racing Car Modifications finalization mod for second hand/new cars need to come back for the complete experience.

That's just me and I could be wrong. :)

Welcome to the GTP forums. 👍

I just bought a mint copy of GT1 again, my original copy was starting to wear out.

Nostalgia aside, GT1 is a lot of FUN; remember that word: FUN. It doesn't matter that the handling isn't GT5 standards, it doesn't matter that the graphics are not on par with GT5, the number of cars doesn't matter. The simple fact of the matter is that GT1 is fun, great progression and awesome sense of accomplishment. I LOVE gt1 more that GT2; in fact, out of all the GT's, GT1 was perhaps the most fun...?

Either way, GT1 is an awesome game and I play it on a regular bases, in between GTPSP and GT5 TT waiting for GT5; let's hope GT5 has that GT1 sparkle...

I actually thought GT2 was the most fun. GT1 is a bit harder than the 2nd game, and has a more serious feel to it. To me, anyways. Not to say I didn't have any fun during the first GT, certainly I did. But that huge selection of cars in GT2 was what made the 2nd game more fun to me.

I can certainly understand your point of view; only a few generations ago we actually got to see a GT release every now and then...:)

I've been playing racing games since Continental Circus.

I've been playing games since PONG.

But I'll always remember the intro to Gran Turismo as a "demo" and it blew me right out of my socks. I was unemployed at the time and completely broke, but I came up with the cash within a week (prostitution really does work) and bought myself a PSX with a brand new copy of Gran Turismo.

I've watched the intro 500 times since then and it still sends shivers down my spine.

Gran Turismo is my hero game of the last 15 years. It has enveloped my life so completely, it has become my World Of Warcraft and has taught me so much about cars that I never knew existed.

GT is priceless.

But that isn't to say that it's the best.

GT2 had an even better intro. After all, the video was pinched from a PS2 dev-kit.

GT3 was our first taste at proper hi-resolution graphics and was a much more balanced game in terms of longevity and models and tracks than GT1.

GT4 lacked the passion of earlier GTs. But being able to drive sooooo many different cars meant that the passion was up to us, the gamers. GT4, remember was meant to be an online experience.

GT5P: What can I say? The ability to use a H-pattern shifter and a clutch and race against anyone in the world anytime I like in proper hi-definition is priceless! Who cares if its a demo, this game has made me more friends and done more for my GT-gaming than any other Gran Turismo to date.

Each Gran Turismo has their own special niche. Picking one is like picking from a litter of Jack Russell puppies based on the location of their spots. What you really have to look at is the father of the litter, Kazunori Yamauchi-san and be grateful that he gave us such a wonderful batch of games that have kept us entertained for more than a decade.

Cheerskis,

Sonny

Typical, you're a graphics/stats whore.

How pleasant?

Put simply, the original GT is so much more fun to play than any of the later games it's untrue, especially GT4 which was mind-numbingly boring.

Er, GT is so more more fun that it's untrue?... Your sentence needs to be rewritten. Anyway, if I dig them both out (which I sometimes do), nowadays I have a lot more fun with GT4, which I didn't find boring at all. These are subjective statements. So far you haven't proven the 'whore' wrong about anything.

Becuase the physics engine is so loose and (nowadays, at least) arcadey, it means the races are manic, the sense of speed is fantastic (versus it being completely absent in anything GT3 onwards) and the cars are genuinely hard to control, something which cannot be said of any car in GT3 onwards (possibly minus the Escudo).

So you're a speed whore! (see how little that helped my case?). Most people who play the GT series are looking for a realistic racing experience, otherwise they'd play a more obviously arcade oriented racing game. What you're describing: loose physics, manic races, overblown sense of speed... These are all things that one associates with arcade racers. It sounds to me that your problem isn't with GT, it's with the sim-racing genre. GT1 (compared to the rest of the series) is probably the least sim-like of the bunch, so your preference for that title indicates to me that you should probably be playing a different series of racing games altogether. The Burnout series has quite a nice sense of speed for you. Again, the 'graphics/stats whore' you deride has not been proven wrong about anything. Maybe he just likes racing sims.

The AI are crazy as well, they stick to their pre programmed lines for the most part, but they will overtake if they have the faster car, and because it's so primitive, you tend to see a lot of mistakes as well (I'm thinking GV300 here, the amount of times I've seen cars just fly off at the first turn from the second lap onwards is just silly).

I'm not going to go through the whole series, but faster drivers will pass you in 5 Prologue, the AI makes occasional mistakes, etc... The AI hasn't been particularly good in any GT but I'm not sure how what you reference is specific to GT1. Your preference for primitive AI that flies off the track might be it, though, and if so then that is more evidence that you should play arcade racing games. Maybe San Francisco Rush?!?!

Sure there are less cars in GT against something like GT4 (though to be fair, you will never use more than 20% of the cars in GT4 anyway), but there are a higher percentage of total cars that you would actually want to drive, I mean who the hell really wants to drive the 1886 Benz, or even something trivial like a Citroen C3 or a PT Cruiser?.

Correction: YOU'LL never use more than 20% of the cars. A lot of us have used quite a few more than that. The 'trivial' cars are part of what makes the GT series so fun. Most other racing games won't let you take some regular street car on the track. Many people like driving around in cars they own or have driven in real life. Personally, I am highly interested in the historical cars -- even though it's kind of a novelty.

Plus no game since has beaten the original games intro movie. Watching that for the first time made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and it still brings a massive smile to my face everytime I watch it.

Kind of funny you'd call somebody a graphics whore and then close your argument with how much you like the INTRO MOVIE. /facepalm.

Last edited:

Hmm never heard of this one. I'll have to google it. 💡

Damnn right me too! :dopey: I remember exactly where I was when I first played my first Pong game...at some party (mostly for adults) with my parents. The year was 1978 or 9. :scared: Which means I woulda been 11 or 12. Soon, we got an Atari 2600 for our very own home, which took care roughly half my childhood/teenage years from 1980 on...

But I'll always remember the intro to Gran Turismo as a "demo" and it blew me right out of my socks. I was unemployed at the time and completely broke, but I came up with the cash within a week (prostitution really does work) and bought myself a PSX with a brand new copy of Gran Turismo.

:lol: I was employed, had a PS1, but was sick of playing games in which I died over and over again.
I've watched the intro 500 times since then and it still sends shivers down my spine.

It's the BEST intro, hands down. :highfive:

Gran Turismo is my hero game of the last 15 years. It has enveloped my life so completely, it has become my World Of Warcraft and has taught me so much about cars that I never knew existed.

GT is priceless.

But that isn't to say that it's the best.

GT2 had an even better intro. After all, the video was pinched from a PS2 dev-kit.

GT3 was our first taste at proper hi-resolution graphics and was a much more balanced game in terms of longevity and models and tracks than GT1.

GT4 lacked the passion of earlier GTs. But being able to drive sooooo many different cars meant that the passion was up to us, the gamers. GT4, remember was meant to be an online experience.

GT5P: What can I say? The ability to use a H-pattern shifter and a clutch and race against anyone in the world anytime I like in proper hi-definition is priceless! Who cares if its a demo, this game has made me more friends and done more for my GT-gaming than any other Gran Turismo to date.

Each Gran Turismo has their own special niche. Picking one is like picking from a litter of Jack Russell puppies based on the location of their spots. What you really have to look at is the father of the litter, Kazunori Yamauchi-san and be grateful that he gave us such a wonderful batch of games that have kept us entertained for more than a decade.

Cheerskis,

Sonny

👍

Remember my first. 💡 Gameboy-like handheld that you raced in a straight line avoiding obsticles similar to the triple action game from Intellivision. Was in fourth grade. Late 60's I think.

Still playing it and still loving it...
I hope GT5 has that special feeling that GT1 has...perhaps it's the overcast sky on Trail Mountain...that looks so awesome :).

I agree with the topic creator to an extent:

GT1 WAS the best IMO for many reasons. But I now consider GT2 to be better for a couple reasons.

GT2 has better physics. One thing though, I hated the fact that you caught air on some tracks in both games. That isn't a simulation. It's arcadey. I also hated how much your tires squealed in GT2, but that was a minor annoyance.

GT2 has better cars: My fave, the TVR Cerberra LM got even more Godly and the Skylines got much better. The Foomula (lol) Shilouette was a beast.

The best GT tracks were here plus great new ones like Apricot Hill.

GT2 had some terrible glitches but overall the game play was better than GT1.

GT3 and 4 just haven't done it for me like the first two, and GT PSP was a complete train wreck.

GT1 is the best (my opinion) for its intro movie, qualifying system (which is a BIG thing PD 🤬 dropped after GT1), turbo boost guage, and power & gearing graphs. A couple other items.

Qualifying (in real-time) was the best part of the game in my opinion. You had one or two laps (I forget) to post your best time. It got my palms SWEATING. Why they dropped this I haven't a frickin' clue. It gave you an idea of what you needed to change, what the competition was up to.

But going back and forth from GT5 to GT2 to GT4 to GT1, it isn't the "best" so far as phsyics go. GT1's physics were awesome back in the '90s, because most arcade games of the times were really bad and didn't portray to reality much at all. Whenever I go back to GT1 now, though, it's like, the physics feel so goofy now! I dig the more realisitic aspects of later games...tha'ts just me.

Last edited:
Rose-tinted glasses make us think GT1 has great physics. That said, at the time I was astounded by the handling of the LM Impreza.

Agree with those who say it in this thread, and the many people who also say it: Qualifying was immense. You could tell if you had pole by which version of the music was playing after you set your time. That moment when it plays sadly as you've only qualified 4th was disappointing.. but you knew how well the competition was. Before I realised I could use the Viper, qualifying for the Normal Car Cup was the most tense thing ever.

It took me YEARS to complete the GT1 Tuned Series! :) I moved on to other games and later finally came back to the Tuned Series in GT1 before I finally completed it. And I could still never get 1st place in every race. Used a Viper, too.

It took me YEARS to complete the GT1 Tuned Series! :) I moved on to other games and later finally came back to the Tuned Series in GT1 before I finally completed it. And I could still never get 1st place in every race. Used a Viper, too.

Yeah, and after all that all I got was a crappy AE86! Devastated.

I actually won all six prize colours in that series. (pink white or blue Trueno, or yellow blue or red Skyline).

I won with all sorts of cars, swept with a few. I actually tried every used car in the series. If the car would be outclassed, I used a GameShark to make the field all Honda Civics. (But never saved the game after such a race).

When I played that game a lot, if I could sweep the series (or at least win all races) with a 1994 Nissan 180SX I knew I had the right feel for it. That car seemed about the right balance for the series to me. Maybe a little too powerful.

A challenging win for me was the Cosmo13B, winning with 2nd,2nd,3rd,3rd,1st because the AI traded points so much. Or Silvia'91 Q's 43311.

But then with an FTO GPX I once lost with a total 31 points, but another time won with the same total.

http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/logs/
http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/logs/gt1-tuned.txt

I actually won all six prize colours in that series. (pink white or blue Trueno, or yellow blue or red Skyline).

I won with all sorts of cars, swept with a few. I actually tried every used car in the series. If the car would be outclassed, I used a GameShark to make the field all Honda Civics. (But never saved the game after such a race).

When I played that game a lot, if I could sweep the series (or at least win all races) with a 1994 Nissan 180SX I knew I had the right feel for it. That car seemed about the right balance for the series to me. Maybe a little too powerful.

A challenging win for me was the Cosmo13B, winning with 2nd,2nd,3rd,3rd,1st because the AI traded points so much. Or Silvia'91 Q's 43311.

But then with an FTO GPX I once lost with a total 31 points, but another time won with the same total.

http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/logs/
http://gt2toxs.webring.com/gt/logs/gt1-tuned.txt

Again, quite the resource you have there. Could never beat the normal car series, haven't tried it yet though. After playing GT3 and GT4 for about 5 months, GT1 seems a whole heck of a lot easier. I beat the tuned series, but I had to use a 900hp Mitsubishi GTO (3000GT) Twin Turbo. I'm going to do all the races over again after I complete the game and give myself more of a challenge.

See, I didn't know that there was a Skyline up for grabs. Is there a Master Prize Car List for GT1, because I know there's 2 car prizes for some events.

I used a fully tuned R32 to win the series, downgraded it to Stage 3 Turbo, with the pressure gauge on level 1 so it wasn't too fast to navigate around corners. Think I won 3/5 events.

Key to [size=+1]GT1[/size] physics is that you can usually steer harder to overcome understeer. And quick brutal counter-steering tends to catch oversteer. You may be having trouble because you're trying to drive too realistically. Last time I drove I had a terrible time; I kept provoking severe oversteer caused by habits evolved to overcome [size=+1]GT4[/size] severe understeer. (E.g. Arnage).

So in the Normal Series, with slippery tires, you learn to steer to get where you want, compensating for the slippage. Fine adjustments can usually be made, and will cost you just a little time compared to getting entry and exit and line perfect. But, that is, it's easy to go through a lot of corners in four-wheel drift, using steering to make fine corrections (sometimes throttle, too).

I love GT1, but one thing about the qualifying that annoyed me was that a car with 120hp(like the Mazda Demio) could beat the Supra 3.0 GT on the ring mini and high speed ring and grand valley, but when you raced suprise you are fast yet these cars are still in my review mirror.

It depends which events. AI qualifying was sort of bogus. They were basically randomized around a goal time. E.g. in the Hard Tuned Series the Civic would post qualifying times at most tracks it seems unlikely it could achieve.

And there was a specific glitch in that series. At Clubman Reverse, the AI times were just too slow in qualifying. So you could frequently get pole there. but that was truly unrelated to how fast the AI would go in the race.

In general in other races I found that if you could get pole easily, the race would not be challenging.

Last edited:
I've had enough of grinding in GT5 I thought I would dig this from out the loft. Really forgot how good this game was, you just have to look beyond the graphics nowadays.

I've had enough of grinding in GT5 I thought I would dig this from out the loft. Really forgot how good this game was, you just have to look beyond the graphics nowadays.

Agreed. First post, eh? Welcome to the big, wide world of GTP.

I agree with the topic creator to an extent:

GT1 WAS the best IMO for many reasons. But I now consider GT2 to be better for a couple reasons.

GT2 has better physics. One thing though, I hated the fact that you caught air on some tracks in both games. That isn't a simulation. It's arcadey. I also hated how much your tires squealed in GT2, but that was a minor annoyance.

GT2 has better cars: My fave, the TVR Cerberra LM got even more Godly and the Skylines got much better. The Foomula (lol) Shilouette was a beast.

The best GT tracks were here plus great new ones like Apricot Hill.

GT2 had some terrible glitches but overall the game play was better than GT1.

GT3 and 4 just haven't done it for me like the first two, and GT PSP was a complete train wreck.

I do agree with that, GT2 is now the one I am playing just because there is much more to do. I don't mind not qualifying, I never did it for every race anyway.

Me and a friend came back to GT1 around 1.5 years ago to complete Gold in B-License.
It was EPIC :D
Whenever I think about GT1 it reminds of how FUN gaming can be.
GT5 just isn't as fun (haven't played the other ones almost at all).
Don't know if it has to do with age or simply because I don't play games the same way anymore.
GT1 is still on my top 10 games of all time.

I do not think that this GT is the best. It does have nice menu music and overall atmosphere though. I hate the in racing soundtrack especially "as heaven is wide" as that is a anti-God song. I do like the song "High" it is my GT1 song for sure. The gameplay is pretty good though I seem to always come back to the first two GT's and play through them again and again there is just something about them that does that to me.

I don't think any GT is "the best". "Best" implies it's better than all the others. Well, each Gran Turismo has features which could potentially make it "the best", the problem is PD keeps dropping cool features in each game, sometimes for features that aren't so cool.

If PD ever makes a GT with ALL the best features from each game, that one will be "the best" without a doubt. I was gonna make a list of all these features but it's Sunday morning here and I don't feel like doing that now. You get the point, though.

Agreed. GT1 is still the best GT.

GT2 has a stupidly complex system for its events.

GT3 hasn't got enough in it.

GT4 has too much to do.

GT5 has all kinds of niggling faults. But still looks great so beats GT3.

Basically, GT1 > GT2 > GT4 > GT5 > GT3. :D

Back