I think of Forza as a Game and GranTurismo more as a Tool

United States
NY
Liquizon
A post I made on N4g.com: http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/NewsPendingCom-395252.aspx?CT=1&Page=1&Page2=1#C2795643

"Forza is more of a "racing game", while GT is a true replication of cars and the car to driver interaction that car enthusiasts (like myself) seek.

Racing is fun, but the sheer number of hours I just take a car out and drive around the ring and enjoy the car is not comparable by a simple score or feature list. Gran Turismo is a very different creature, its not just a "Racing game".

To say Forza is the most accurate simulation is just plain Not true. The developers themselves state that they are making a more "casual appealing" simulation. Which means dumbed down. Hence touch the grass around a turn on GT will send you off into the hay bails, while its an easy recover in forza.

I wouldn't even mind saying it could be the better "game", but it doesn't even hold a candle to the car to driver interaction that GT does.

Disclaimer:
If you like this type of game I'm happy for you. The racing is secondary for me. That is why GT is for me :)

This Backs up my point 100%
Quote from Xbox Gamer / Forza player: "I tried with gt4 and I didnt get into it at all, I couldn't even get all the licenses, I was bummed and sent it back."

I'd like to see what others think about my opinion."

Do you use GranTursimo like I use it? or is more of a Game/Racing Thing for you?

Last edited:
I dont exactly follow your thought process, but do recognise the point your making. To me, racing is second to experience and reward. I think what GT brings to the table is the reward of your practice. Forza fun for racing but i dont feel rewarded upon finishing a race in first place. It GT, once i've got my car perfect, hit apex's perfect and then outbreak the AI, i feel i have succeeded.

Then again, i was always different.

Obviously the quote from the xbox gamer proves without a shadow of a doubt that he
1. doesn't appreiate a great racing/driving sim game
2. Just really sucks at racing games and may be a punter
3. Can't drive at all in real life
4.is just making up an excuse to not support sony and stick with the xbox.
Anyways, the GT series is a racing/driving sim and always has been. your opinion won't ever change that.
Some people have even suggested that GT was an encyclopedia of cars. while there will be a vast amount of cars in GT5, that doesn't make it an encyclopedia. The cars are still drivable and racable. If it were an encyclopedia it wouldn't be called Gran Turismo. It would likely be called "The world encyclopedia of cars"
back to my point, GT isn't a tool. In what way would it be catergorized as such? Forza is a dismal racing game at that. With T10 compared Forza 2 to GT4, it made me question what kind of a racing game it was. If it was a racing game, on a "Next" gen console, why would it be compared to a racing/driving simulator on a previous generation game on a different console?
Does KY do that with GT? Not at all. Why, he doesn't have to because KY only compares GT to GT and nothing else. T10 is just starting a pointless war of racing/driving sim games. GT is the Grandaddy of all racing/driving sim games and should be shown more respect than that.

Obviously the quote from the xbox gamer proves without a shadow of a doubt that he
1. doesn't appreiate a great racing/driving sim game
2. Just really sucks at racing games and may be a punter
3. Can't drive at all in real life
4.is just making up an excuse to not support sony and stick with the xbox.
Anyways, the GT series is a racing/driving sim and always has been. your opinion won't ever change that.
Some people have even suggested that GT was an encyclopedia of cars. while there will be a vast amount of cars in GT5, that doesn't make it an encyclopedia. The cars are still drivable and racable. If it were an encyclopedia it wouldn't be called Gran Turismo. It would likely be called "The world encyclopedia of cars"
back to my point, GT isn't a tool. In what way would it be catergorized as such? Forza is a dismal racing game at that. With T10 compared Forza 2 to GT4, it made me question what kind of a racing game it was. If it was a racing game, on a "Next" gen console, why would it be compared to a racing/driving simulator on a previous generation game on a different console?
Does KY do that with GT? Not at all. Why, he doesn't have to because KY only compares GT to GT and nothing else. T10 is just starting a pointless war of racing/driving sim games. GT is the Grandaddy of all racing/driving sim games and should be shown more respect than that.

So you would agree that GT is more about the Driver to Car interaction and the actual racing is secondary. I've always felt that racing was just a way to test out the cars and really aquire new ones.

The Crem' da le creme' is really sitting in front of the TV and taking a car out onto a track (usually the Ring) and feeling the car, learning it and enjoying my experience with the car. Regardless of AI on the track or not, its about me and the mastery of the vehicle i'm in.

I think real car enthusiasts will agree with me.

Jesus! Enough of the Forza/GT flame war threads... GT5 is gonna be sick, from what we've seen so far, no doubt it'll be the best racing game to ever grace a console. But please... stop making threads that will turn into flame wars! It seems every thread has the same thing atm, Forza this, GT that!

Truth is, they're both great games, but being a member of a GRAN TURISMO forum, one might suspect I like one more than the other. Real car nuts drive around in Pug 205's, Williams Clios, Integra R's and NSX etc, play GT5 to unwind and enjoy the game. Casual gamers, play GTPSP maybe? Forza, well, its kinda like comparing a shopping trolly to a Ferrari in terms of physics, graphics and enjoyment imo.

RANT OVER! :sly:

A post I made on N4g.com: http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/NewsPendingCom-395252.aspx?CT=1&Page=1&Page2=1#C2795643

"Forza is more of a "racing game", while GT is a true replication of cars and the car to driver interaction that car enthusiasts (like myself) seek.

Racing is fun, but the sheer number of hours I just take a car out and drive around the ring and enjoy the car is not comparable by a simple score or feature list. Gran Turismo is a very different creature, its not just a "Racing game".

man thats the best Forza, Gran Turismo comparison ive ever seen, honestly im proud to have been playing GT for so long and to see one really break down the content of both sides and conclude with that ruling was great dude!

yeah I'm a big GT fanboy too... everything else is just an arcade game. I'm convinced that Polyphony is out to really, honestly capture the most realistic racing video game possible - and not just in that strict fashion either, but with a classy, artistic style. They're not out to pump the market full of Gran Turismo Undergrounds, they're not a EA or Microsoft company where it's all money money money. They have a real passion and enthusiasm for automobiles and a real enthusiasim for what they do. I've never seen a producer so connected with fans as KY is. Everytime I hear anything about Polyphony, its always either a new demo reel or they're out test driving cars. When's the game coming out? Kazunori shrugs off the question with some ballpark answer where the subliminal answer is "When ever we're done."

Polyphony has honestly solidified themselves as the absolute force in console racing sims. Other brands try, but they're NEVER even in the same universe as Gran Turismo and never will be!

👍 👍

Well i'd really like to see some opinions on this and exactly how YOU use GT for yourself.

You use it as a racer or a way to master the cars themselves?

yeah I'm a big GT fanboy too... everything else is just an arcade game. I'm convinced that Polyphony is out to really, honestly capture the most realistic racing video game possible - and not just in that strict fashion either, but with a classy, artistic style. They're not out to pump the market full of Gran Turismo Undergrounds, they're not a EA or Microsoft company where it's all money money money. They have a real passion and enthusiasm for automobiles and a real enthusiasim for what they do. I've never seen a producer so connected with fans as KY is. Everytime I hear anything about Polyphony, its always either a new demo reel or they're out test driving cars. When's the game coming out? Kazunori shrugs off the question with some ballpark answer where the subliminal answer is "When ever we're done."

Polyphony has honestly solidified themselves as the absolute force in console racing sims. Other brands try, but they're NEVER even in the same universe as Gran Turismo and never will be!

👍 👍

exactly the point im making.

man thats the best Forza, Gran Turismo comparison ive ever seen, honestly im proud to have been playing GT for so long and to see one really break down the content of both sides and conclude with that ruling was great dude!

If anyone feels the way I do about cars and GT as whole PLEASE add me on PSN!!! I'll gladly accept all car connoisseur requests!

PSN: Liquizon

I was telling my friend the other day that I dont think of GT as a game but "A library of cars to tune."
I just love how the game includes cars that probably 2% of the world care about.

I play GTR Evo as a racing game and will be playing NFS:shift as a racing game on Friday but GT5 will be a whole new thing.

If anyone feels the way I do about cars and GT as whole PLEASE add me on PSN!!! I'll gladly accept all car connoisseur requests!

PSN: Liquizon

PSN?!? What PSN?!?:sly:

But i must admit i do use GT in a way to define ones limit and pushing a car to that maximum point and some cases that doesnt mean all out tune job with the works. GT is more of a game that deal with the actual physics and basis in a car. its not like another race brand when srue you may get one or two cars that may perform great while others are 'arcadey'. PD, Ky, and Sony got it right with Gran Turismo one car after anither and one series after another. i play other race brands (NASCAR, NFS's, MId-Night Clubs, etc) on many different platforms and NONE compare to the realism found on any Gran Turismo. its a great tool, or great way for a car fan to stack up a bunch of AUTHENTIC, mind you, cars for fun's sake. its just a great came and always has been!!!

Last edited:
I bought Forza a few weeks back and I've gotten bored trying to reach level 50...:indiff:

It's just a game for me. As would be Forza. As would be any other game. Give me a better game, and I will play it.

I couldn't agree more with you. I love to just take a car on the track and run laps for hours. I actually think i went almost 3 hours doing this with a Volks on Daytona Road Course! The racing is a great part of GT but at the end of the day i have to say that i love the game because it gives me the ability to drive a ridiculous amount of cars on tracks all over the world.

I couldn't agree more with you. I love to just take a car on the track and run laps for hours. I actually think i went almost 3 hours doing this with a Volks on Daytona Road Course! The racing is a great part of GT but at the end of the day i have to say that i love the game because it gives me the ability to drive a ridiculous amount of cars on tracks all over the world.

Add me on psn I'll try to remember yorus when i get home from work. When GT5 drops we can totally do some Clubsporting ala GT5 and if you live in NY maybe in RL too :-P

To say Forza is the most accurate simulation is just plain Not true. The developers themselves state that they are making a more "casual appealing" simulation. Which means dumbed down. Hence touch the grass around a turn on GT will send you off into the hay bails, while its an easy recover in forza.

I wouldn't even mind saying it could be the better "game", but it doesn't even hold a candle to the car to driver interaction that GT does.

Disclaimer:
If you like this type of game I'm happy for you. The racing is secondary for me. That is why GT is for me :)

Quote from Xbox Gamer / Forza player: "I tried with gt4 and I didnt get into it at all, I couldn't even get all the licenses, I was bummed and sent it back."

Do you use GranTursimo like I use it? or is more of a Game/Racing Thing for you?

Totally false, Forza is not dumbed down, you could say the same about GT5p physics choice and traction control level. Forza is a full simulation and you can ADD layers over the physics to make it more friendly, assist like traction control, abs, racing line, autobrake, etc.

Take GT5p, choose normal physics, full traction control and stability, racing tires it will feel nothing like with all off and professional physics, same goes for Forza but the last take the concept it deeper with more helps.
If you want a full simulation is still there, take all the assist off and you will get it.

Also game structure has nothing to do with the physics and driver/car interaction.

Last edited:
So you would agree that GT is more about the Driver to Car interaction and the actual racing is secondary. I've always felt that racing was just a way to test out the cars and really aquire new ones.

The Crem' da le creme' is really sitting in front of the TV and taking a car out onto a track (usually the Ring) and feeling the car, learning it and enjoying my experience with the car. Regardless of AI on the track or not, its about me and the mastery of the vehicle i'm in.

I think real car enthusiasts will agree with me.

Forza 2 was like this for me.

Forza isn't need for speed or something people, i feel like some of us comment on forza who havn't played it or havent played it enough. It is a very good game and very fun to play. It is also a simulation and has some excellent physics that have been dumbed down for use with a game controller.

I sold my X360 and Forza to get a PS3 and GT5P. GT5 has more realistic physics and far better graphics, but it is a worse game in my opinion. It's very basic, and limited with few tracks, or upgrade options. It also seems to lack the fun that Forza 2 had and to be completely honest, i miss playing it.

That being said im sure the full GT5 will be a different beast entirely.

To me, all driving games were the same. When i was younger, say 4 years, i thought of Vigilante 8, NFS High Stakes, and Gran Turismo 2 the same thing. That changed when i played GT4 and met this forums, and then learnt about LFS. Im now more serious about my "gaming" cuz now i know its more near to a realistic simulation.

Disclaimer:

Many of us will also have to disagree with your feelings on this as well. It's all an opinion anyway, so no worries.

I see Forza as well as GT as games, since they both are games. Neither game really simulates what it is really like to race.

After seeing that "official photo" of FM3 with the misaligned racing stripes on the Ferrari, how could i take a game that overlooks such a obvious detail seriously?, its not even a demo or a screen its an actual FM3 publicity shot, mean to showcase the game, at its best, and frankly the other photos just prove what ive always thought, that the models arent accurate, and are warped.

GT Arcade is a Game.
GT Mode is a Tool.

Surely GT mode is as much as if not more of a game. In GT the GT mode is the bulk of the game, where you race for virtual cash to buy and tune your car and importantly, progress through the game.

I don't view GT as a tool, I view it as damn good fun. Most of the time.

I've played Forza 2 since it has been out and I can tell you that GT5:P is the better driving sim. All of the cars in Forza 2 feel super heavy and in real life that's just not true. The cars in F2 in terms of acceleration were not accurate as well... I was surely ticked off when I noticed power was decreased in the s2000 in that game. It was about as fast as an RX8, which also had overrated power IRL from Mazda... but then I would compare these different cars together and I was just woah'd. Putting coilovers on the cars would solve some of the issues but it could still not make for the huge differences I've felt. I've drove a good bit of cars IRL to know how they should handle and how much roll the springs produce when turning and F2 just completely exagerated this. Actually, come to think of it... The only thing that impressed me when Forza came out was the livery editor. Not to mention playing online sucked because everyone would wreck each other to see damage... I can't wait for GT5. Please hurry and release it PD I grow weary of the same cars on GT5:P.

Totally false, Forza is not dumbed down, you could say the same about GT5p physics choice and traction control level. Forza is a full simulation and you can ADD layers over the physics to make it more friendly, assist like traction control, abs, racing line, autobrake, etc.

Agree... options that allow those who aren't as skilled or patient to still enjoy the game are a plus, but that does not equte to dumbing down the game.

Driving line, Breaking assist, One button driving... those are all things that are great for helping people get their feet wet or just enjoy a game that might otherwise be too much for them.

But turn those all off, and you still have the core mechanics.

And the license thing... well that's one person's response and the licenses are indeed quite challenging and take patience as you get further along. I think you can easily be a perfectly good driver in both games, but for any number of reasons decided not to finish the license tests. There is a reason why people are generally not happy about having to refinish the licenses with each new iteration of GT... obviously if you are a good driver, you CAN pass them, but some of them, no matter how good you are, are just going to be frurstrating and time consuming one way or the other.

I don't view GT as a tool, I view it as damn good fun. Most of the time.

QFT.

Both Forza and GT are game, granted they are both pretty realistic but they are still games never-the-less.

I actually share a view like a few here.

GT & Forza to me, are both games that I play to experience driving cars to full limits, though GT does this better because of the G25, for me. But, even in Forza, playing through GT Mode or whatever Forza calls it is just something I have to do get the cars I want; almost like a chore (which is exactly what FM2's career was).

But, once I achieve the car, that's it. I stop playing career mode, and I go directly into driving the car. Even with the controller on Forza, I have spent hours just running individual cars around the tracks. It's just perfect for me, to sit back and drive, listening to the symphony that is a car's engine as it runs through the gears tacking the trickiest of corners & straights. I'm almost like a cheat. I don't mind using glitches or exploiting races for gobs of money to get what I want, because I just want to drive. And while you may think I'll just get bored, I really don't. I used a few exploits for cars in FM2, & I still fire the game up just to drive & hear them.

For me, the racing just an added bonus, b/c it's the overall drive I really love.

Latest Posts

Back