I think of Forza as a Game and GranTurismo more as a Tool

I posted previously that Gran Turismo is kind of like a gift from a car lover, someone who loves cars and motorsports. That's what GT is for me, and why I expect GT5 to blow me out of my shoes.

The game almost seems like a trick sometimes, something fun to encourage you to race cars you might not want to try out, but to get closer to that 100% completion level, entice you into it. The dinky cars, the trucks and SUVs make you sit up and think about what you're experiencing. A winning strategy for racing a Suzuki or a Tacoma is quite different from winning in a 240SX or a Viper. And then when you win those cars you really wanted... woah nellie, how sweet it is.

And the cars aren't the only stars. A hot car needs a twisting track to challenge it, and Gran Turismo games deliver some of the best courses in racing. The wealth of tracks in GT games is just incredible, whether they're fantasy or real life. Highly detailed, sometimes very bumpy, scenic, and challenging, and nothing is like taking any car, any, on a Nurburgring Nordshleife which is accurate to the centimeter. Hugging curves which don't flow down a woman's body have never been so thrilling and satisfying.

GT games are all about pleasure, and it doesn't stop when the race is over. Replays are so sweet to look at that I have memory cards dedicated to saving them. Marvelously choreographed camera angles make even losing races a joy to watch over. And then get out your cameras to take Photo Mode pics and save them even to USB drives, at resolutions you'd swear the PS2 should be incapable of.

Prologue upped the ante even more with physics which bring Gran Turismo to the level of the PC sim, with graphics we would have sold body parts to obtain just a few years ago. The fact that GT5 itself is going to give us even more to love is making these last weeks before its release the longest wait of my life.

If anyone feels the way I do about cars and GT as whole PLEASE add me on PSN!!! I'll gladly accept all car connoisseur requests!

PSN: Liquizon

I totally understand what you are saying, as most of the time I spend on GT4 is picking a car then just drive on the ring in time trial !!

I am at work right now, I will try to add you on psn later, we can have some fun on the ring in GT5 once it is out !!

my PSN: jeremychu

A post I made on N4g.com: http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/NewsPendingCom-395252.aspx?CT=1&Page=1&Page2=1#C2795643

"Forza is more of a "racing game", while GT is a true replication of cars and the car to driver interaction that car enthusiasts (like myself) seek.

Racing is fun, but the sheer number of hours I just take a car out and drive around the ring and enjoy the car is not comparable by a simple score or feature list. Gran Turismo is a very different creature, its not just a "Racing game".

To say Forza is the most accurate simulation is just plain Not true. The developers themselves state that they are making a more "casual appealing" simulation. Which means dumbed down. Hence touch the grass around a turn on GT will send you off into the hay bails, while its an easy recover in forza.

I wouldn't even mind saying it could be the better "game", but it doesn't even hold a candle to the car to driver interaction that GT does.

Disclaimer:
If you like this type of game I'm happy for you. The racing is secondary for me. That is why GT is for me :)

This Backs up my point 100%
Quote from Xbox Gamer / Forza player: "I tried with gt4 and I didnt get into it at all, I couldn't even get all the licenses, I was bummed and sent it back."

I'd like to see what others think about my opinion."

Do you use GranTursimo like I use it? or is more of a Game/Racing Thing for you?

Beautiful Post! I think the same way.

Sure maybe FM2 had more features over GT5P with Damage, skid marks, easier game play, paint a car, and decent LOW speed physics. GT5P makes good high speed physics, better wheel feedback ( for Wheel users) and it always gives me the sensation each car has a soul!
Heck GT4 had so many cars, from super slow to super fast, even the Citroen cars that are numb and ugly in real life, you always felt some passion and soul when driving those crappy cars, but I enjoy them.. Then getting into a sports car, WOW even more thrill. In GT5P physics are even way better and more accurate. Sure some glitches here and there, and low speed tire physics suck, but everything can be fixed. For me GT games are like bible of cars , soul and passion. FM games are more of jump in and play racing game. I love both, but I will always place GT in higher position over FM. Everything else is just a stupid arcade titles!

I think the sentiments posted in this thread are pretty spot-on. I've played every single GT game since the first one came out in 97, as well as having owned both Forza 1 and 2. It's probably telling that I still have copies of every GT game (except for 3, which was stolen from me a few years back) and no longer own an xbox or either release of Forza.

It's not that the Forza games were bad, and indeed I really liked the livery editor and the extra customization it added, but the physics weren't quite where they needed to be for me. The leveling system they integrated for acquiring new vehicles was a bit of a drag as well, making the races feel somewhat more tedious than they needed to be. The big advantage the Forza series has had however, was the inclusion of Porsche and (until gt5p) Ferrari... and GT5 still won't have Porsche.

That said, the GT series for me has been the best set of driving sim games I've played. The physics continually improve, with the GT5:P pro physics being the most realistic physics I've experienced in a console driving game. While the physics might not be quite as spot-on as some of the PC sims, the ability to drive not only race cars, but everything from econo-buckets to classic sports cars to modern supercars can't be ignored. The ability to modify street cars with individual upgrade parts is nice, and the enjoyment from simply taking your favorite car out and just lapping your favorite venue is this series' piece de la resistance.

I'm still waiting for some better AI though.

I highly agree with this thread title, GT4 was poor as a game with its weird and obsolete static career with those many single races of which there is every tenth one interesting and motivating. I made it to 65% and then it was only tool for drifting Yellowbird around Nordschleife.

After seeing that "official photo" of FM3 with the misaligned racing stripes on the Ferrari, how could i take a game that overlooks such a obvious detail seriously?

So is that a factory stripe on that Ferrari, or did they throw a stripe on the car using the livery editor? I am not familiar enough with that Ferrari to know if that was a factory stripe. If not, then the person who threw the stripes on there with the livery editor needs to tweak it over a bit.

All of the cars in Forza 2 feel super heavy and in real life that's just not true.

First time I have heard this. I have always heard that people felt the cars were way to light, and didn't feel heavy enough, nor planted (which I agree with). People that have played the FM3 game at the game shows in the kiosks said the cars did feel like they weigh more now. That would be bad news for you I guess :)

Forza 2 was like this for me.

Forza isn't need for speed or something people, i feel like some of us comment on forza who havn't played it or havent played it enough. It is a very good game and very fun to play. It is also a simulation and has some excellent physics that have been dumbed down for use with a game controller.

I sold my X360 and Forza to get a PS3 and GT5P. GT5 has more realistic physics and far better graphics, but it is a worse game in my opinion. It's very basic, and limited with few tracks, or upgrade options. It also seems to lack the fun that Forza 2 had and to be completely honest, i miss playing it.

That being said im sure the full GT5 will be a different beast entirely.

I totally agree with you. GT5 doesn't bring the customizable aspect of a racing game. It does have tuning gear ratio's and that bunch but it needs to go deeper. For example swapping engines, different body kit, performance parts that actually make it sound different. I'd like to see some of these things. That's why Forza is fun, because you can expand wheres in GT you can't.

Racing is fun, but the sheer number of hours I just take a car out and drive around the ring and enjoy the car is not comparable by a simple score or feature list. Gran Turismo is a very different creature, its not just a "Racing game".

+1 👍

I totally agree with you. GT5 doesn't bring the customizable aspect of a racing game. It does have tuning gear ratio's and that bunch but it needs to go deeper. For example swapping engines, different body kit, performance parts that actually make it sound different. I'd like to see some of these things. That's why Forza is fun, because you can expand wheres in GT you can't.

GT5 isn't out yet.

So is that a factory stripe on that Ferrari, or did they throw a stripe on the car using the livery editor? I am not familiar enough with that Ferrari to know if that was a factory stripe. If not, then the person who threw the stripes on there with the livery editor needs to tweak it over a bit.
Those are the factory stripes. This isn't the first time Turn10 has missed these little details.

Interesting. Good to know. I am new to the GT series myself, so I have a question. Is every car in GT spot on?
When it comes to exterior details, pretty much. I think it's actual performance stats they get wrong sometimes.

Those are the factory stripes. This isn't the first time Turn10 has missed these little details.

And it irritates me a whole damn lot; somehow I can't stand it when it's not perfect (yeah, I know small details blablabla...) :P

Yeah, Turn 10 doesn't have the absolute greatest attention to detail compared to GT5. However, they are putting out a playable game in 2 years as opposed to having an infinite time line to work with.

Besides, I'll take those crappy models if I can paint and add new parts to them to make them my own.

Something I wish GT would start doing.

It amazes me to see the striping wrong on that Ferrari, and yet they have other cars, like the Veyron, that they nailed to a T.

This is what happens when you outsource work to different people, you get work back quicker but it's not always up to the same standard.

To anyone who hasn't seen this video of the Veyron in Forza 3 have a look, it's a very interesting video.

I don't know if they have designed all the cars like this, as that would be extremely time consuming, but they certainly have put alot of effort into this car.

Yeah, Turn 10 doesn't have the absolute greatest attention to detail compared to GT5. However, they are putting out a playable game in 2 years as opposed to having an infinite time line to work with.

Besides, I'll take those crappy models if I can paint and add new parts to them to make them my own.

Something I wish GT would start doing.

yea they should give us something close to if not the Race Modification back. the wing in GT4 was a nice jester but what about individual exterior race modification parts huh, would be nice.

What method do they use to model the cars in GT? Judging from the higher quality models it takes them longer than Forza's. The interiors of the cars in GT5P just blow me away.

What method do they use to model the cars in GT? Judging from the higher quality models it takes them longer than Forza's. The interiors of the cars in GT5P just blow me away.
If I recall, I think PD laser-scans almost everything they model.

Back