I want TOCA reviews!!!

• Thread starter vat_man
  • 108 comments
Originally posted by Dudebusta
ill give it a burl, whens the pc version due out?

End of October. Feel sorry for Xbox owners, they get it Christmas Day, not Eve, which would have made sense for surprises.

Something I should clarify - I do actually quite like the game, and I should point out the game is good fun (ran into the side of an little MG turbo at Vancouver late last night and rolled it over, which of course I found hilarious). My main gripes are pretty much techical rather than with the gameplay itself.

Originally posted by vat_man
Something I should clarify - I do actually quite like the game, and I should point out the game is good fun (ran into the side of an little MG turbo at Vancouver late last night and rolled it over, which of course I found hilarious)

Yes I always find tipping the cars over hilarious :lol:

I can understand your issues with the handling though, it seems twitchy and very oversteery on my pad, mind you I think you can change the sensitivity of the analog sticks. You seem to be the man to come to when It comes to steering wheel comparisons, although I was initially dissapointed when it came to the graphics when I played the demo and I thought it wouldve improved when the game was released, but it wasnt. I also was also kinda dissapointed that the early races were so short making them difficult to win on occasion, I wanted 20 lap toca races not 3 laps!
Also loading times are a bit long, but thats probably because half the time I seem to end up quitting the championship and reloading (while swearing to myself under my breath) when I have mucked up for the 40th time. Also when you do this the cutscenes get in the way.

BTW vat can you initially race in the V8 supercars from the start of the game on your version?? I think maybe they have changed the game structure slightly for the australian version.

Oh yeah did you challenge the guy in the mini yet?? he sounds like a dodgy geezer. At the moment I cant seem to beat this Japanese guy so I can win a Mitsu Lancer evo 6.

No you can't race them, you have to start off with the little Lexus in the BTCC - but I have run them at Phillip Island and Bathurst. They haven't quite got the sound or handling right.

Phillip Island is flatter and more open than I recall from real life (fortunate enough to have done some actual laps there), but Bathurst seems pretty much on the money, all the blind turn in points seem to be right.

I actually had to wrap my first session up last night before taking on the guy in the Mini, and don't seem to be able to get back to taking that challenge. I might restart the game - I'm a bit ticked at throwing away the BTCC on the first corner of the last lap at Brands.

I wouldnt know about the V8`s ive never seen them race on TV ever :( . I came 2nd in the BTTC season when I first played it, but then I deleted the save and restarted. So I put practice laps in and I managed to win the BTTC in the Lexus, then Vauxhall offered me to drive for them in the BTTC again so I did and I killed the competition. Then I did the southern european championship (cant remember if its that one well it has magny corse and catlunya in it) in some ford focus and came second in that championship. Most of sunday and monday I was doing the pacific cup in an impreza, basically swearing at bathurst, but now I can do bathurst with my eyes closed. I won the pacific cup and unlocked the power racing tier. I did two single events, the vancouver one, which after a million times reloading the game I won and another in a focus at a british track. Also I challenged another driver for a tuscan at catalunya, currently im trying to beat this damn Mitsubishi Lancer at the moment.

I actually ran the US series second, but cost myself the title by finishing out of the points at Vancouver - that said, I fluked a first up win at the oval after the leader who was half a lap up tangled with traffic.

That Eagle's just not quick enough to run with the leader in that series, I think.

I didnt do the americas series, although I did the series in free time with 3 other people, and yeah my mate in the eagle was left in the dust by the neon and the chevvy.
Oh yeah thats another good thing you can play 4 player with a multitap. Although there aint any dammage and the graphics look odd, but its great fun :)

Originally posted by Y2TUSCAN
I didnt do the americas series, although I did the series in free time with 3 other people, and yeah my mate in the eagle was left in the dust by the neon and the chevvy.
Oh yeah thats another good thing you can play 4 player with a multitap. Although there aint any dammage and the graphics look odd, but its great fun :)

Gee, all I need is a multitap and three other players and I'm set.

Its hillarious, trust me!
Conversation
Y2TUSCAN: you all suck at this game
Keeno_UK: yeah well.........
Y2TUSCAN:ARRRRR! YOU ****IN MADE ME LAND ON MY ROOF
keeno_UK:My bad it was an acident
Ben:Just let me get my........
Keeno_UK: BENNNNN! I WAS ON THE FRIGGIN RACING LINE!
Y2TUSCAN: Yay ive finnaly caught up to you guys!
Paul: This game is too hard, cant we just play smackdown now?
Everyone: SHUT UP PAUL!

Anyway its good :P

Well maybe the PC version will have an online race option??
Now imagine that 14 car races that would be exciting dont you think. Maybe even the X-Brick version might have online capabilitys. Methinks im gonna go and tweak the controller settings though, maybe that will get rid of that awfull looking twitchyness. Oh yeah have you noticed the motion blur on the replays, oh and that you cant change what car you are looking at in the replays :mad: which makes it annoying when watching the multiplayer replays, cuz I usually shoot off into the distance leaving the others to battle it out for 2nd :burnout: oh and you cant save the bloody replays as well :mad:

Well, if it was on-line I'd definitely buy the PC version - which I'm probably about a 50% chance of buying anyway just to try and fix the steering.

The handling I can live with - as you say, it's pretty similar to TOCA2 and TOCA World Touring Cars, just a pain in the bum to snatch a brake in first gear and run wide - I'm thinking about putting a spring or something in my wheel's pedals to improve brake feel and resistance.

this is a response from a codemaster person on their offical forum's in response to "no multiplayer?!?"

"Of course there WILL be multiplayer in the game, both Internet and LAN. "

:D

Well - I guess that clarifies THAT then. And as of next month, the AMD big grunter gets broadband internet connection (rather than just the laptop).

<adopts Mr Burns pose> 'excellent'

Well, if it was on-line I'd definitely buy the PC version - which I'm probably about a 50% chance of buying anyway just to try and fix the steering.

The handling I can live with - as you say, it's pretty similar to TOCA2 and TOCA World Touring Cars, just a pain in the bum to snatch a brake in first gear and run wide - I'm thinking about putting a spring or something in my wheel's pedals to improve brake feel and resistance.

LOL yeah I forgot that Toca seems to have no ABS in it making it a bit difficult to get used to after playing GT3 with all its creature comforts.

LOL yeah I forgot that Toca seems to have no ABS in it making it a bit difficult to get used to after playing GT3 with all its creature comforts.

True - but I really like that feature. It's great coming into a very tight corner from top speed and working the brake pedal to extract maximum braking power without locking up.

Originally posted by Rossell
On the multiplayer subject, names will be arranged in the Ryan "Rossell" McKane format.

No thats only in the single player game to use as your savedgame although i called it Ryan "****in Fast" McKane

Sorry but it had to be done, all the random names it gives you are so cliched I mean Ryan "Bullet Train" McKane pfft

Oh oops
I doubt the online play would be full of ryans, when you play the multiplayer on the PS2 version the car names default to player 1 player 2 etc. So I doubt the PC version will have Ryan "Im a clone" McKane as the name........unless they want the starting grid to look stupid. Just think "AND Ryan Mckane wins!!, closeley followed by Ryan Mckane in second and trailing off in third Ryan McKane :lol: "

I think id preffer having the pedals to use the breaks without abs, because there isnt much difference with the analog stick, its very close Locking your wheels up, getting the braking just right and not braking enough. I mean with the pedals you have more degrees of sensitivity than the analog sticks. Although I understand why you want the brake pedal to be harder to push down to full.

Errrr no. One person is Ryan McKane, and everybody else will have different driver names chosen from the people you race against in the single player race.

Errrr so how far is everybody???
Well?
Im doing DTM now, err well actually im just having fun doing free race and time trial practicing all those new tracks. And Phillip Island is a bugger of a track, you go up a hill and you cant see anything and then whooomp there is a hairpin that you should be in 1st gear to take and your in 5th :mad: still great fun though :D

Doing my third series in the second level - finsihed second in the Australian series, won the DTM pretty easily, and doing the American series. I've won all the bonus cars too - although I had to resort to shoving that Spanish woman off the track.

The car you win off the Australian guy is a ripper - a road going Porsche 962.

Doing my third series in the second level - finsihed second in the Australian series, won the DTM pretty easily, and doing the American series. I've won all the bonus cars too - although I had to resort to shoving that Spanish woman off the track.

The car you win off the Australian guy is a ripper - a road going Porsche 962.

Hey! youre further through the game than me! :D I SHOULD FINISH IT FIRST PLAY IT SLOWERRR! j/k :P

I retryed the Tuscan about 30 times, and eventually I beat her, well basically I manged to get infront at the start by shifting into second early avoiding wheelspin. Although I had to ram the japanese guy in his lancer, he was too quick :mad: . Ive just realised that I suck at that oval race in the nascar looking car, so im going to avoid it like the plauge. What track do you have to race the australian guy at? please say its bathurst, because I own the computer AI at bathurst, they just brake to much or slam into the wall all the time :lol: at the moment im just gonna have fun by driving all those tracks with all those cars :) , another thing why cant you change the aussie V8 cars gear ratios and why are there 2 holdens that are excatly the same, I think a VX and a V? (cant remember)

What track do you have to race the australian guy at? please say its bathurst, because I own the computer AI at bathurst, they just brake to much or slam into the wall all the time :lol: at the moment im just gonna have fun by driving all those tracks with all those cars :) , another thing why cant you change the aussie V8 cars gear ratios and why are there 2 holdens that are excatly the same, I think a VX and a V? (cant remember)

You do indeed race him at Bathurst - he's nowhere near as quick over the top, he was easy.

Australian V8 Supercars have fixed gear ratios as determined by Avesco (the governing body) to save costs.

The two Commodores are probably the VX and the VT - the V- refers to the model (like BMW E36). The VX was a very mild facelift to the VT model Commodore - basically slight change to headlights and rear external trim plastic.

Also Ive just realised that screenshots are easy to make without having the picture blurred up because you can pause the replay so hopefully Jordan might let me upload some nice Toca pics!

Ive noticed that the car models look allot beter in the replays and on the outside car view, than the inside car view which is annoying because the cockpit view is one of the things that makes Toca good :mad: . I had a funny thing happen to me at bathurst in the V8`s basically I had some small dents at the front of my car which made the bonnet unhinge, so every time I went down those steep turns, the bonnet kept flying up and leaving me flailing about like a nutcase or smashing into the walls, it was funny when I watched it on the replay but it was annoying while driving. Had anything funny like that happen to you yet vat?

Can't say that I have - I use the bonnet view. Just the usual TOCA stuff where you're racing through the middle of the pack and suddenly you smash straight into a car facing the wrong way - but that's been happening since the original TOCA Touring Cars...

Have you tried free race and then upped the ai to 110% difficulty, it becomes imposibble to win but the drivers turn into insane nutcases who are intent on killing everyone on the track. I saw the computer MG ram a Vauxhall right into the pitlane divider sending it flying up into the air over my head, If only I couldve saved that replay it was cool!

Oh yeah It makes more sense for you to use the bonnet view because your using the steering wheel so I suppose looking at a steering wheel while using one spoils the effect. But I find it usefull to use to make sure I keep the steering smooth, which is difficult with the analog sticks.

Back