Ibo's Garage - TTRS3GTR

• Thread starter Ibonibo
  • 777 comments
Audi Paintjob 🤬 Up's. 2k16 Reboot

So as above, brought the RS in for a new bumper and a paintjob on it....

This is the result:

Sun with flash
Bild Sonne mit Blitz.jpg

Sun w/o flash
Bild Sonne ohne Blitz.jpg

Garage w/o flash
Bild Garage ohne Biltz.jpg

Garage with flash
Bild in Garage mit Blitz.jpg

Thuesday I went in to get the car and immediatly :odd:

No the paint job is ****...

As the boss wasn't around, I complained but wanted to discuss this with the shop owner...

When I returned home, my eyes began to bleed

Kratzer mit Blitz.jpg

Kratzer Ohne Blitz.jpg

As the S3 was in and in fear of volentary 🤬 ups because moaning I waited till the S3 was ready which was today...

What did I expect...

"a polish will resolve this" (for both)
"this is within tolerance"
"it's not factory"
"repainting, this happens"

"these are not washing scratches"
"it wasn't us"
"my employee notified me directly" / ME: "after or before the wash" // "After":banghead::ouch:

"it will buff out"
"we use microfibre towels" *shows dirty oily towel*

I was very happy with that workshop, always friendly and quality work on the mechanics. Till now. Major crap job and they try to escape the responsabilty with douchery...
:yuck:

Seriously pissed and really annoyed...

Tomorrow I head to the insurance, tell them all of it, and they should step in... but still, I brough in an okay car, with an fixable issue. Now I have a car with marks on the bonnet, front lamp, rear bumper wrong colour.
:boggled::yuck::scared::rolleyes::nervous::odd::irked::(:(:(:(:eek::(:(:(:(

It should go without saying that this was my last visit at that workshop

That's a bit *%$#. This is the reason I never send my car to the mechanic. Last time I went to get a wheel alignment my car came back with damaged jack points and dings in the new paint from a spanner bashing the suspension from adjusting bits. The only place I will take it is for a WOF. Got one for tomorrow, I trust these guys and these guys only. Unfortunately they don't get to work on my car because I do it all myself.

^Yeah. If you want it correct, do it yourself :D

Damaged jack points are so common... it frustrates me every time, I shiver when I see them jack cars up wrong...

Sadly my visit to the insurance didn't fruit. As they already paied, it's not their problem anymore....
Gonna write a letter to the Quattro GmbH, just to complain but it's probably all on me. Again... Painttime ?
This time 2 cars at the same time? The GTR would profit a repaint ? Hmmmm :lol:

Let's get some good stuff going....

I lost 2 days because of the RS, now I had a bit of a rush, had parts unmounted, readied for paint. But tomorrow I go to my tuner and sunday to the track....:crazy:

The good stuff 2K

8_zpstcybajmo.jpg

Epoxy Primed

1_zpsozlideiu.jpg

Deep black

3_zps9gw1ehac.jpg

4_zpszd5bbash.jpg

Clearcoated

5_zps17vbw0zy.jpg

2_zpsrsmct2hd.jpg

6_zpsg24tw0pj.jpg

9_zpsgclnwdmq.jpg

Interior finished, USB for laptop-ECU acces in the glovebox, Plex logger display in the middle

7_zpswf46ori1.jpg

And detailed the faded exterior plastics a bit

20160608_211711 (Medium).jpg

:dopey::drool:

So I finished the GTR 10minutes before I picked up the other GTR owner, and then up to Belgium...

Arrived at 5 in the afternoon, where he just finished mapping and sorting out problems on this french RX7

20160611_173017 (Medium).jpg

His now-sold low milage R34 :drool:

20160611_173056 (Medium).jpg

My buddies BCNR had good company, and while the tuner was at it, he tried to sell me the blue R34 :scared: Price is awesome, but comon (may happen though if a friend buys in)

20160611_174100 (Medium).jpg

Then of to mapping, playing around with launch control :lol:, I tried 5 shots, all blurry, too much acceleration :lol::dopey:
20160611_190511 (Medium).jpg

Have a few vids I may upload

We then left close before 11 in the night, 2 GTR's open highway :drool:

20160611_224052 (Medium).jpg

Midnightrun?? :lol:

20160611_224119 (Medium).jpg

Arrived close before 1am in the morning, perfect, enough time to still get a burger :lol:
Then off to the bed and the next morning...

Trackday Bro

Trailer/Teaser

Cool weekend to get my head off that damn RS

EDIT: Pics

2016_06_12_1946_zpsa4fczplt.jpg

2016_06_12_1950_zpsuretwixr.jpg

2016_06_12_1948_zpsvhhr8kw6.jpg

2016_06_12_1949_zpssptfazt3.jpg

2016_06_12_1947_zpsyz2vkhgt.jpg

2016_06_12_1945_zpsytvscrkx.jpg

2016_06_12_1951_zpsx2f4ve1r.jpg

2016_06_12_1952_zpscdlc8avx.jpg

2016_06_12_1971_zpsxceexxc9.jpg

2016_06_12_1957_zpscqt58fqf.jpg

2016_06_12_1955_zpsto3mxsbu.jpg

2016_06_12_1954_zps7iztb2mj.jpg

2016_06_12_1956_zpsm7ouellw.jpg

2016_06_12_1993_zpsovcyitb7.jpg

2016_06_12_1977_zpszijx5w5e.jpg

2016_06_12_1982-2_zps5exqxdve.jpg

2016_06_12_1987_zpsdpyw1djg.jpg

2016_06_12_1997_zpsjfqv7drs.jpg

2016_06_12_2028_zpsf5njfcme.jpg

2016_06_12_2025_zps8xzp6vzp.jpg

2016_06_12_2043_zpsdjhrix7l.jpg

2016_06_12_2120_zpsaspoanky.jpg

2016_06_12_2071_zpsv5uan3tq.jpg

2016_06_12_2022_zpsqbih4mei.jpg

2016_06_12_2080_zpsev5agcdg.jpg

(a buddy of mine shots some pics with my Dslr, that's why I'm in some shots (those with too much shutterspeed :D )in my car)

Last edited:
Best lap.

Beat the time of the last GTR session by 3 seconds (my first real trackday). And the time of the S3 by 1 second. S3 was in reverse, more speed on the straight, downhill,... TTRS still the fastest, but it's so much easier to drive even with ESP completely off.
The GTR is a handful but ohh so much fun.
Still hesitate too much with it tho, should stay on the gas when the rear starts to step out, and drive it like a GTR is meant to be, 4*4 drifts :D

Need a track with more space, grass looks okay, but it has some big ditches in it, if you take those sideways with speed :nervous:

Oh my. where to start...

2 Days after the trackday, I wanted to take the GTR for a ride.

Turned the key .... brooopffffff nothing....

It took me till today to figure it out. And it is so dumb. So dumb.

So first was naturally a look at the battery....:

20160616_203315.jpg

Yes that is toasted....

So replaced the battery, getting a jolly 13V. So it should start. It didn't...

So I started to tackle the main problems...

20160617_183714.jpg

Spark plugs, coils, igniter, resistor.

All look good and tested +- okay with the multimeter.
The igniter had some problems with contacts, reading OL where it should not. But the results were flaky, so after cleaning the contacts I got a perfect 8-9 resistance.

Then I started to suspect fuel as after serveral start up trials, the plugs and chambers were never flooded. Took the injectors off, tested the connectors....

Everything fine.

The tuner is in the holidays and took time in Spain to inspect the ECU via teamviewer...

Nothing...
The fuel pump is new. Nothing leeched on the battery (parasite)... fuses were okay, regrounded the engine....

My latin came slowly to an end.

Now the tank needle showed still 1/4 tank.... but luckly before sending the car in a workshop today, I filled a jerrycan in the tank....

And guess what... it lives :lol:

At least I did learn a lot on the car now :lol:

Ballast sensor probably stuck or something....

So obvious if one ponders an 18 year old car and a stuck or not accurate gas needle :lol:

Mate, your GTR is sick. Love it!

Thanks mate 👍

Haha I was in the same scenario with my RB. So glad I'm not the only one who went through this.

Hahaha :lol: Yeah that made me feel slightly better :D

But it didn't end there. After the car ran again, the Afr showed 22.4 which is completely bollocks as the car was running fine. Too rich, but fine, no misfires,...

So I controlled all my cables junctions, but all was fine (I dont like to solder cables, so I crimp them,...)

Then I wanted to recalibrate my O2 sensor/ Lambda sensor. Needed a special nut for it,... went shopping....

And again the small country curse hit me again. Only one shop had one in stock, not a nut but a whole wrench, which didn't look like it would fit, and 5x the price of Amazon, so noooo....
Didn't want to wait for an amazon order to get delivered... so I end up borrowing one from a garage, which was really nice :D

A few minutes later
20160708_160151.jpg

Recalibrated

IMG-20160708-WA0000.jpg

(pic I sent to the tuner :lol: )

I still was off for the first 5-10 minutes, going way too lean, but the engine noise and acceleration was fine....
After +- 10 minutes it hit it's target constantly of 14.7 (plus going richer on acceleration)

Yes!!!

20160708_202854.jpg

It now works again like it should for 99%. Kickdown is a bit too lean for half a second. This is probably the ECU, so for the tuner to adjust the AFR->TPS. I guess the TPS is a tad off and needs a recalibrate too...

Been busy, so updates were slow.

GTR
Sadly I had to take the R off the road as it didn't "pass" the emmissions test,...

Went to 3 workshops to get the emmission reading. Always good. But at the state test, it failed, trice. :banghead: Either my cat is dying and after a bit of idleing it start to go haywire, or those morons don't put the sensor in deep enough...

As summer was not really summer, till 3 weeks ago, I took it off the road:ouch:. But I am okay with that choice as the money saved from insurance pays for the new cat which is ridiculously expensive from HKS (need that one, as it was registered with an HKS one)

BUT, if it's the cat, the new one will only go in for the MOT and the old one will stay in for the rest of the year. After a few launch controls the old one will be "catless" which means more powa.

On the to do list is not a lot, so I might hybrid the turbos to drive more boost. And some smaller mods which will not cost a fortune but improve the car a lot (lot of bushings, a bit of alu welding,...)

Now as the R is a garage queen this year (at least got a track day out of it), the Audis take the front row now....

1 (2).jpg

Went a bit bonkers with my oversea order from 034 Motorsport....

For the S3 on the left and bottom, Right for the TT.

Dome bushings, gear box bushings, dog bone... lots of bushings :dopey:

TTRS
I start getting a plan for the mods on the TTRS

A tuner from Germany is working on an ECE homologated Titanium Exaust for the TTRS, which is what I want (didn't opt for the Quattro GmbH exaust as I knew I want the old 5Cylinder sound) If I remember the weights, it should shave of around 15kg alone on the catback).

The TT has it's first MOT/ technical control coming up, So mods come after that:lol:

Swaybars are in the cellar, these bushings, and as the cherry on the cake a KW Clubsport coilover set. Probably going for the 2way. The 3 way is so freaking expensive...

Then I need to wait for a tuner to bring out an ECE approved downpipe... (it still has a precat, but it is not sitting directly behind the turbo, so less thermal pression on the turbo). if that doesn't happen fast enough, I might just go for a modded original.

Then a nice ECU reflash to take the restriction out Audi put in, in order to not beat the R8 :embarrassed: . A healthy 420hp and 650Nm should be plenty on a stock engine....:drool:

And finally, an Haldex upgrade ECU to push more power to the rear faster.

S3
The S3 gets some more love to make it as new as possible again. Need new brake line in the back, and the AC is leaking, so that gets done before the MOT, which is also closing in.

At some point I need to get the S3 engine redone.... But with it 180000km and still being on the first turbo... It's still healthy for being 15years old. But rebuilt, with a crank and turbo from an S3(8P 2Tfsi) it should put out over 300hp...
At least thats the plan for the future.

This weekend I plan on installing some stuff from 034. So updates soon :cheers:

That turbo swap for the S3 sounds interesting. How difficult is it to swap a TFSI turbo to a 1.8T?

That turbo swap for the S3 sounds interesting. How difficult is it to swap a TFSI turbo to a 1.8T?

It's sadly not plug and play. Even the TTRS turbo would "fit" :lol: But the TSFI turbos are inverted, so intake and exaust need to be swapped to the other sides. It's very doable, the TFSI turbos spool up faster then a Garett of similar size, and they are readily available...

First off....

for people enjoying panning shots of race cars...
http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/Ibonibo/slideshow/Race/24-9

As always pressure wash, foam, bugspray, ...rinse&repeat...

Then washed and dryed

20160926_202612 (Medium).jpg

20160926_202627 (Medium).jpg

Started to remove these

20160926_174909 (Medium).jpg

Started off with 3000, was too slow, so a quick pass with 2500 sorted the scratches good. Then a repass on 3000...

20160926_203839 (Medium).jpg

All gone. Going to close that rock chip too since I'm at it...

Then polish and sealing off everything... GTR will be done during winter...

Oh my ,the urge to punch people....

Where to start yet again....

As my colour is apparently special, Audi does not sell (apparently) Touch up Sticks....

So one was made for me by the same butchers of the rear bumper (well before that happend)

11 (2).jpg

Made my mix in the cap, 1 drop colour, 3 drops of clear.... stir...
and go...

12.jpg

Waited 3 hours for it to dry out, with the spot light warming it up...

Sanded

13.jpg

Looks good...

But after a bit I noticed...

14.jpg

It dented in, or rather some of the paint came off again....

Redid it and let it cure for the night...

Polish

17.jpg

Nice but wait, my touch ups seemed again dented.... I checked the mix that I made... and yep still not hard....

So they basicly sold me plain Clear with no hardener in it. I just won't dry out....

Now I re-redid using an old touchup clear from Audi

15.jpg

And that one dries out completely after an hour or so....

These so called "professionals".... *shakes fist (anger) and head (disbelief)*

I really want to take the clear back to them, open the cap and throw it on them... really tempted :lol:

Tomorrow I polish it up, should be goood now, and looks impressive for rock chip touch ups...

Man I had the impression that Luxemburg was like Germany when it comes to efficiency and general manner, only better seeing there's a lot of banking etc there.. Based on the people you encounter, it just seems more.. French really?

I wish I was as good as you at paiting and detailing.. But I guess practice makes perfect :D

Man I had the impression that Luxemburg was like Germany when it comes to efficiency and general manner, only better seeing there's a lot of banking etc there.. Based on the people you encounter, it just seems more.. French really?

I wish I was as good as you at paiting and detailing.. But I guess practice makes perfect :D

Quality is in free fall in Germany too. Have a lot of german buddies complaining about bad work there too....
Everybody is after the quick buck, not thinking what happens to alienated customers....

So I was nearly done...
One last polish...

And buffed through the clear coat :(

The scratches were really deep, so I knew this could happen....

Now next week I have an appointement in the garage to see if they will fix their mess or not... under my guidelines...
Meaning rear bumper, bonnet repainted completely. In the right colour. PLus restoring the headlight they heavily scratched.

As this means a lot of money, I don't think they will follow suit....

THen I ask for the prices in the big garage where the car is from (the other only do service work)... but knowing approximately the costs....

I might jump to solution n°3....

Dip the car till the paint is done, then respray it completely myself. With a proper layering and more clear then the 70-100um that is on from factory....

But as I wasn't a huge fan of the feel of platidip I will jump to autoflex...

8up4F7ke6fteyUi4Xe05TacPbcCXIuuXEed16SgRE9U.png

photo-2.jpg

Gloss like a normal paint. Can be sanded and polished but still is peelable....

As I have a feeling how this will end, it probably will go number 3....

I could go number 2, but then the tune ups for the TT need to wait, and I want my KW Clupsport coilovers :D

Quality is in free fall in Germany too. Have a lot of german buddies complaining about bad work there too....
Everybody is after the quick buck, not thinking what happens to alienated customers....

[...]
Can confirm. There are still businesses that do their job perfectly fine and stand behind their work or products, but they're becoming rarer and rarer.

Last edited:
How'd you manage this?!

Please don't tell me you used a rotary...

No but the scratch was so deep, I pushed it. While the scratch ain't my fault, I knew it only could go 2 ways, either get it out outharmed or duck it up....

Guess the latter.

For the car park....

S3 gets registered after hibernation in the next weeks... AC needs some love as do the rear brakes lines.. all of that will be handled shortly...

TTRS is uninsured for the moment, switched companies, and keeping uninsured (aka not driving it, but not unreg either) for the moment because GTR
For the paint issue, the garage never called back ... :/ I guess I gonna sticker it up Quattro gmnh style over it to hide the bad spot till i can afford to restore it... As its back bumper and front... and the paint is difficult a whole spray over is in order... this would mean I would go for equal on the S3, which is loads of clear on it to keep it safe for a long time of polishing and scratches...
Reregistering in a few weeks tho... according to the pricing of the new company

For the GTR... and the reason why my car budget was heavily cut....

AS i didn't pass my MOT last year due to emission, and garages told me it was okay for a few minutes, I looked for everything apart the cat as it only had a 5 year lifespan....

Looked for leaks, replacing seals.... Changed the wideband lambda which seriously increased throttle response and overall performance... but still failing the MOT....

Last bit of piece to check was now the cat...

And holy moly yes

20170517_180624_zpsfyvkh55h.jpg

Thats is a gonner #rekt :D HKS 150cell good for 600hp. I rekt it with 400, but maybe there was some damage from the previous owner... who knows :confused:

I may hollow it out and put a pipe in it... you know ;)

I tried to check everything engine wise

20170520_222509_zpslxstnxzn.jpg

Looked as much into the combustion chamber as I could to see if something was not koscher... looked okay and never witessed a oil pressure dip, or too high temp... fingers crossed

I think the O2 senor was giving false values... as after replacement all improved...

Now finding a replacement for this season proved challenging, to say at least.... Either they were priced at 900€, on stock or not, at euro or us shops... or even hard to find in Japan.... Lead time after a talk with HKS Japan and US was 6 weeks.... incl. delivery "" ....

RHDjapan after some email exchange in the last weeks proved to be more viable.... It dispatched 2 days ago... MOT next saturday.. lets hope it makes it in time, as I need to go to my tuner wednesday in to weeks time...

While not wanting to promote a site. RHDjapan proved to be a godsent source of JDM goodness....

20170520_222509_zpslxstnxzn.jpg

After 2 years of randomly searching a stock airbox, to replace the apexi pods, which do nothing but suck in hot air, I finally found one in aussie.... so expensive... but they are quite rare, don't know what happened to all of the airboxes, but they are becoming rare... Transport costs were no joke either....

Just bought the box. Not the duct for the fender vent or snorkel...

A week after purchase,... I saw a post on the uk forum for the complete set for a lot less :banghead: but it was so quickly gone, never in my grasp... :scared:

Now the hard parts, either finding replacements, new OEM (again rhdjapan), ebay (expensive) or customs/ tune ups....

for the fender airvent....

I bought a reducer silicone hose 102mm>76mm... hoping it will fit... :scared: ...and a hose and scope to funnel cold air from the front, just need to find some place (intercooler and oilcooler already occupy the hole passanger side :lol:)

If it goes as planned its a good upgrade :)

AS for the snorkel, that proved really hard.... RHDjapan only had the nismo one, which was only for the BCR34, tho probably some mods would remedy it... but even the R33GTR club nobody tried it yet.... so great risk of burning a lot of money for some plastic.... :confused::confused:

Now RHDjap state they can source parts... so I asked for either a MINES or a REIMAX (which would be awesome, original Nissan, Nismo Race department (above NISMO), made the 400R and racecars)

And a day later got a link to order myself the holy grale of air ducts....

AY0F9345.jpg

It's so rare and never looses its value... just :drool::drool::drool::drool:

THis week my airbox arrived so...

20170524_142132_zpss4dvcpx9.jpg

20170524_142140_zpsv0pozxcv.jpg

Didn't know it had a Nismo one fitted, ordered a Cosworth one last week, ooh well it will be a nice replacement part in case of...

Cleaned and detailed the airbox of aussie sand dust (luckily no deadly spider inside :lol::lol::lol: )

20170525_175020_zpsyearo6rl.jpg

Valvet Pro Bling Citrus with a brush ;) for cleaning, Koch Products for preservation, looks as new apart from the few scratches (seen worse, from bent to cracked... if I ever found one....)

20170525_175033_zpsrbpm464j.jpg

20170525_175043_zpskdfwdhjs.jpg

And fitted till the rest arrives

20170525_185937_zps1yttrnyl.jpg

Looks better already, will behave better... and when "the parts overnight from Japan arrive, this will decimate" all open pods BS :D :lol::lol:

Hopefully more time on hand soon will allow me to update more. Plus for next year I have something nice to announce ;)

Last edited:
Aftermarket high flow cats are crap usually. I reccommend putting in on just for emissions and then removing it again

Aftermarket high flow cats are crap usually. I reccommend putting in on just for emissions and then removing it again

Thats why I'm keeping the broken cat. Drill a hole throu it and weld a pipe in. Decat ;) Tho I need to see what the neighbor countries police thinks. Germany is a nightmare... tax evasion... seized vehicules.... bonker....

Came home to the first delivery... Cold air hose

Nice, off under the car.... but where to go throu with it ??

I was stuck between an oilcooler and an intercooler. That occupied the whole passanger front, further than that didn't want to go for an airhose...

(from the ground shot "straight" upwards, beneath the airbox)

20170529_210040.jpg

At one moment, I was thinking taking air from the wheel well, but would probably suck in hot air from the oilcooler and brakes....

Now it takes air from behind the GTR Grill

Kind of ;)

20170529_205945.jpg

Was the only place cold air would reach without starting cutting stuff.. which always ends worse then expected :lol:

And then behind the fender throu the panel... (put a rubber plastic tape over the edge, so edge and hose should rub eachother .... I have no way of saying this without sounding like a bad pun... lets go with sore

20170529_210102.jpg

*yes i obviously saw the rust, waiting on a 2k paint to arrive (also bought some black one to maybe redo the lip in matte black)

And on the other side (airbox)

20170529_210118.jpg

From the cold airhose package I only used the hose. Could have bought that solo

20170529_210158.jpg

No place for the airvent...and fixation... well it hold in place... and some zipties ;)
It sits tight, doesn't touch or obstruct the oilcooler, and gets cold air.... job done...

Reducer hose, which needs some further bending and cutting should be here soon too....

All hope lies on the HKS cat to arive on time now *fingers crossed*.

Also detailed the engine bay. More pics in the next days as everything comes along

:eek::bowdown:

It arrived in time...

20170601_131543.jpg

Filter, cat, and some Gopro mounts to mount the Plex Display

Obviously the oilcap needed to be mounted first. ASAP :lol:
(just saw no pics taken of it, ohh well will post it with the detailed engine bay)

Sanded a bit more, no rust, taped and cleaned

20170601_151240.jpg

The paints also arrived (that was really quick)

20170601_151828.jpg

As it's 2K paint, I needed to find another part to paint too... Didn't had anything on the car,... so I took one of the many Epoxy Blacks and started sanding an other part...

20170601_152420.jpg

The front engine bay trim. Some weaves were letting light through, not that anyone could ever see it mounted, but it bother me...

just went on it with a 3m pad, cleaned and then painted....

20170601_165415.jpg

On both parts, 1 tack coat, 3 wets :drool:, The black on the epoxy side of the trim will look good.... once i recleared the front :D:gtpflag:

As the fender guard was out and had a biiiiig ventilation hole, ehh sorry speed hole

tumblr_na6qxntlc51somw7ho1_r1_400.gif

for the oilcooler

20170601_164821.jpg

Also taped off the part were it touches the body...

20170601_164836.jpg

Wanted to fix them with blindrivets but hadn't had long enough in stock so went with these

Paint is dry

20170601_173222.jpg

20170601_173252.jpg

And the Plex mounted

20170601_195109.jpg

It's perfect like that. I can tilt it or swivel it a bit, plus I can remove it if parked outside...

Tomorrow when the paint is completly dried, putting the rest together and saturday I should now pass my emission test ;)

Also

url

Last edited:
NP
The last image is not showing up for me for some reason. That Plex display is looking good, though. 👍

#NotificationSquad

Last image is a bug from a deleted image, in edit mode, i don't even see it.

That plex mount is pretty legit lol.

Lol, I removed the digi clock and wanted to make an adapter from those mounting holes to mount the plex. None of my creations were good enough. With a 3D printer I could do my perfect part, till then the gopromounts suffice (it's hold by one large 15cm aluminium bar and some 90° adapters on the sticky clips)

Yes 21:30 DONE

If I don't pass tomorrow :banghead: my latin and french have come to an end :lol:

The plex on, in perfect field of view... :cheers:

20170602_193953.jpg

Cat mounted... this was all the place I had on my DIY ramps...

20170602_211735.jpg

It was a battle. And on the last screw my ratchet glided on my forhead :ouch: A bit of a bloodshed :scared::sly::lol:

Panic started then I thaught there was still a leak... but metal gasket, after a warmup they closed shut....

Looking good

Lets play a game, what was detailed ? (answers at the end)

20170602_211748.jpg

20170602_211805.jpg

20170602_211819.jpg

20170602_211838.jpg

20170602_211850.jpg

Answers : Oil cap ;) Firewall cleaned (whole enginge bay was full of burned in oil fumes), Wheel wells cleaned, all body places I could reach, titanium dress up bolts engine. Painted engine parts, cleaned with a brush, all metals polished (fuelrail, Throttle cable mounts, rad, catchcan,.....). all plastics and cables treated, and some cable management.... :gtpflag::drool:

:cheers::cheers:

Not updated here....

So behold...

First the GTR.... sadly I can't seem to pass my emissions test... car was in the shop. Tuner said it was okay. It wasn't. Exaust side it doesn't leak, cat is new, the tuner knows his maps, buddies car with his map is okay.... it pisses the crap out of me... so I deregistered the car in late summer....

But the 2 batteries that died, wrecked lambda and cat all lead to that somewhere is a problem...

but I did do add something really nice

20170913_192918.jpg

As GTR shops are scarce and just bringing it to Nissan does not solve my problems, I ponder what to do.... all started with the new ecu and wideband....
I could convert back, and look if I pass...

So as the Skyline just meant headaches, I put it to rest and tackled an other problem

So the TTRS...

While an awesome cars, the brakes are crap. Okayish performance, but longevity is bad. 10000km I noticed the first warps in the discs. From there on it only got worse. Audi didn't want to replace.
So OEM was out of questions. 10k km with one set, Discs alone are 700bucks and are not side constrained. So one side cools more than the other...

That's why my driver side is so much worse than the pass.

Looked long for alternatives....

BBK for 4+k € ?
Carbodiscs which are really good but cost also over 1k and homologation is difficult but doable...

First I wanted to do some brake ducts...

20171020_171834.jpg

20171021_190944.jpg

While I had enough space on the driver side, the passenger side was tight....
After a lot of fiddling around and head scratching, I ditched the brake ducts... It was just too tight on the passanger side because of the rad... plus the tubing came really close to the serpetine belt... tubing has metal inside.... nooo

it's doable, and I have now a better grasp how to do it but I couldn't be bothered with it anymore because for the next step, it's not really necessary...

Then I saw stoptech had a sweet deal going.... 380mm 6 piston for 3500.

Phone abit around and a buddy sourced me that complete set with brake lines, fluid,... for 2800 :D Lot of money but they hold 4-5 times the OEM, plus brake so much better....

20171011_204102.jpg

20171011_204135.jpg

Also got some black logos... Was even able to find the TTRS emblems in black but with the red part still red (still waiting on those)

20171018_140919.jpg

Changing the front was a nightmare

Ordered a Racingline filter, which i sent back the minute I unpacked it... some kind of oil glue was at the bottom. :scared: WTH

DSC_0044.JPG

Ordered a Pipercross instead. Oilless :dopey:

Closed a hot air intake in the box, and opened another cold intake

DSC_0050.JPG

Installed some gearshifter cable holder bushings with all alu

20171006_165104.jpg

Shiftercable end bushings

20171018_223350.jpg

Recalibrated. And ohh my gosh.. it was a very good box before, just a little slack. Now crisp as 🤬

Installed a 034motorsport engine dogbone insert which stiffens the original rubber/ holds it in place...

Then off to the garage, get a service with stamp and get the brakes installed...

RS Bros

DSC_0020 (Andere).JPG

And here are the massive brakes installed

2017_11_15_0327 (Andere).jpg

2017_11_15_0330 (Andere).jpg

DSC_0157-2 (Andere).jpg

Got a new plate reserved for the RS... only 5 digits, for which I can legally get a motorcycle big plate for the front, which is really small :D

And the S3 is fine :D Paint still holds up, not a single problem there :crazy:

DSC_0122 (Andere).JPG

Last edited:
Using a TTRS daily while the S3 sleeps.. I love it! The TT looks so much of a drivers' car it would almost be a shame to let it sit for more than a day at the time!

With a 3D printer I could do my perfect part, till then the gopromounts suffice (it's hold by one large 15cm aluminium bar and some 90° adapters on the sticky clips)

If you have a design, send me it I'll print it for you.. :)

Using a TTRS daily while the S3 sleeps.. I love it! The TT looks so much of a drivers' car it would almost be a shame to let it sit for more than a day at the time!

If you have a design, send me it I'll print it for you.. :)

Daily :lol: None of my cars are dailydrivers. I have the company car for work and small stuff. The RS amassed a wooping 16000km in 4.5 years of ownership :D Current plans for the TT are a light clubsport version. Eiher KW or Bilstein Clubsport coilovers, wiechers clubsport roll bar, sway bars, quattro ecu upgrade, and some lighter rims wearing some nice roadlegal slicks

My tuner printed a gopro holder to insert in the clockmount for the screen :dopey: But thanks :cheers:

Back