If GT4 was a PC game would you buy it as...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blackbird.
  • 42 comments
  • 1,948 views

Which version?


  • Total voters
    67
ferrari_chris
PC is for workin' - PS2 is for gamin'.

End of story. :)
Thank you for the knockout punch I was looking for.

Tappajakoala
ANY PS2 game has never crashed for me, nor caused Blue Screen Of Death. No PS2 game has required me to update drivers, hardware or add extra memory. No PS2 game has never become very glitchy if playstation decided to run antivirusprogram middle of game.
For the record, I've never been much of a PC gamer. You always need to upgrade your computers before playing the latest thing to the best of its design. It's actually quite comforting to use a PlayStation, since I can count the number of hardware crashes I've ever had (since 1997) on one hand. It's the one reliable product Sony makes, which is even more of a miracle.

Yeah, yeah, flame away...I really don't care to challenge your excuses on the subject since I've owned various PCs for the last 20 years (making me wonder why I haven't bought a Mac by now).
 
Yes if it would be 10 times more realistic and PD gives me a free wheel.
 
The PS2's are like any console or computer, some people will never have a single problem with them, others will find them a nightmare. I can tell you, in the last 3 years I've not spent a penny upgrading my PC and even the very latest games look good on it. Ofcourse I'm not saying everyone should ditch the console and support the PC for gaming thats just my own preference. What I'm saying is that something like a super reliable PS2 isn't going to happen for everyone. I've hardly ever had any problems with my PS2 either but I do know of people that have had a hard time with theirs. It's swings and roundabouts, like I said, people like me will go out and spend a grand and a half on a pc in one go, and not worry about spending a couple of hundered quid a couple of years later to upgrade it, thoes people will prefer the PC, other people that either can't afford to do that or just don't want to spend that kind of money won't, prefering a console for gaming is not a bad or wrong choice, it's simply a preference.
 
Well some computers come game ready so you don't really have to spend a cent upgrading it. What computer do you own.
 
PS2. No upgrading needed, and the TV is much bigger than the moniter. Besides, games take forever to load on the PC, and i've only had the PS2 freeze on me ONCE. The PC, numerous times. The only time i'd consider a PC GT4 is if there were downloadable cars. Once the PS3 comes out and GT5 is released, i hope that you can download cars onto the PS3 itself...
 
Raghavan
Besides, games take forever to load on the PC, and i've only had the PS2 freeze on me ONCE.

Well, I can tell you how much time would need GT4 to load in a PC....

... about half a second :)


That's why Live for Speed, with higher texture quality, more cars, AA, etc... spends 2 or 3 secs to load the game and 1 sec to begin a race.


PD: I also can tell u that my PC had freeze me about 4 or 5 times since I got it (a year ago). A PC doesn't have to freeze unless u don't know about PC maintenance (I mounted my PC by myself and i'm proud of it :dopey: ). And the best of all.... u dun have to spent any money to have any PC game :sly:
 
ooh--i could flame the reliablitly of both my first PS2 and PC all day long...

PC? blue screen of death, freezes, crashes, disconnects, playing F22 game with one hand on stick and other hand wiping monitor for a *BZZT* shocking experience that fries the stick, yak yak yak...

PS2? defective DS2 (pretty funny to be using a brand new DS2 only to realize that neither of the motors work, heheh)... the dreaded DRE... disc... read... error... disc cannot be read... please insert a compatible disc... can't count how many times i've taken my old PS2 apart to fiddle with that silly white gear or laser to get my GTA:SA fix... it finally died last December--now it's a PS2 stand...

no problems with my new Jenny Crank diet PS2, though... looks nice and pretty sitting atop its fat twin... 👍

but every system has its issues... my 8-bit NES cartridges needed to get, um, blown to work at times... SNES, N64, Gameboy, and Sega cartridges, too... my two PS1s had the dreaded DRE affliction as well as frequently not being able to read memory-cards... etc., etc.... damn--why do i even bother gaming?! :dunce:

there are people *coughmecough* who seem to be plagued with one issue or another at some point, and then there are those fortunate people *coughlive4speedcough* who haven't experienced any of those issues on any of the same platforms... rarely, or ever...

but who cares if it's PC, PS2, PSP, GC, GBA, DS, XBox, 360, Jaguar (heheh--yeah right), or what have you... are you playing the games YOU want to play and enjoying YOUR gaming experience? great--that's all that matters, right?

besides--flaming someone solely on their preferences of gaming platforms is asinine... might as well start flaming on people for preferring The Sundays cover of "Wild Horses" over the original Stones version, shorts versus pants, toilet-paper rolls over or under, and vanilla over chocolate or strawberry icecream--i could sure go for a Neopolitan icecream sandwich... again, i digress--just glad to see things are so civil here... 👍
 
I don't mind at all if people prefer to stick with consoles and avoid the hassles of a PC...if I did, I'd be an a**hole. :lol:

That still doesn't change the fact that the PC is a powerful gaming system, with all of the most realistic driving sims, and the best 3rd-party support in the form of extra cars and goodies and whatnot. :)
 
I think that the PS2 is a great solution. As many people have mentionned it is by far cheaper than not buying a pc, but upgrading it.

I think the answer is all due to the people's priorities. If I worked on a computer all day at home, heck I'd get the best one there is and upgrade every couple of months or so. However, not all of us want to pay the money it costs to upgrade a computer, not even mentioning the ones like me who are students and can't afford to change the home PC which does what it has to do.

The PS2 offers a certitude that it will work correctly, no driver problems, no "slow-downs" (maybe i'm lucky but in my playstation that has run for I do not know how many hours, I bought it not far from when it came out, has not slown down once).

Also, the person that quoted me on the first page, Wolfe2x7, I don't play GT4 because I find it more realistic than Live For Speed (which by the way, I do play it at my moms house (divorced parents) and doesn't seem to attract me or give me half the fun I have on GT4), I play for the fun and heck with the rest.

Also, why are you saying that if I use Macintosh's mostly and have an old dump as PC makes me ignorant about what is superior or not?

As I said, different people have different priorities, some don't feel like spending money on a new computer while theirs works just as good as when they bought it and would rather spend it on something else.

That's why I think most of us have chosen PS2, which btw. can be played on a screen (considering most people have a bigger T.V. than a computer screen) that usually is bigger.
 
I need the "I'd probably buy both" option....

I'd love to see GT4 in all it's "1600x1200, 4xAA, 8xAF" glory... Won't happen I'm afraid, so hopefully GT5 with 24 cars on the track will give just a little of that...
 
Id get it on PS2 so I can put more games that are just on PC on my PC.
 
gibus
Also, the person that quoted me on the first page, Wolfe2x7, I don't play GT4 because I find it more realistic than Live For Speed (which by the way, I do play it at my moms house (divorced parents) and doesn't seem to attract me or give me half the fun I have on GT4), I play for the fun and heck with the rest.

Also, why are you saying that if I use Macintosh's mostly and have an old dump as PC makes me ignorant about what is superior or not?


No no no, that's not what I meant at all. :scared: I was merely noting the fact that you, among others, voted for GT4 on the PS2 because of the fact that, for whatever reason, PCs had been ruled out as gaming platforms. To me, this illustrated the reason why PC sims are ignored, or thought nonexistant, by the general public, and why GT has such an enduring legacy as "the real driving simulator."

I did not intend for those quotations to be specific responses to "ignorant" comments. That's why I left the quotes unnamed. :)
 
PC or PS2/3: the answer is simply "depends". It is more a question of features, some of which are currently only possible on PC, but might be possible on PS/3.

1) Will it have patch updates? Let's face it, GT4 had some deficiencies that could have been fixed easily with a very small patch (someone said "lame penalty algorithm"? or lack of internet gaming?).

2) Will players be able to design tracks, paint jobs, maybe even customize or build cars, put them on their web site, and other players download them and add them to their game? Some of the most popular PC games (not necessarily racing games) have features similar to these. All that would be needed is a map editor and af few other similar PC-based tools. Heck, if PD published a format for downloadable assets, fans would probably create the tools themselves and share them.

This type of functionality is possible today only on the PC, but if Sony designs the PS/3 to have a hard disk and provides patch/resource download support for game-makers it would be possible on the PS/3. I don't know if it is in the plans, but if it was, then there'd be no need for a PC game.

In conclusion:

1) If the features are created and only available on the PC, then yes, I'd buy it.

2) If the features are available on the PS/3, I'd buy it for PS/3, not PC.

3) If the patch feature is not available, I don't plan on buying GT5 until I can get it for $10.00. PD did a nearly flawless job when they came out with GT3 (for the times) and I became an instant fan, but it is obvious that their standards have gone down now that it is so popular. I don't believe in paying full price for software that contains bugs, glitches or even bad design choices - no matter how good the game might otherwise be, because if I get frustrated at the game it ruins the experience for me.
 
Back