If you could take over Kaz's job, what would you do with GT7?

• Thread starter TomBrady
  • 165 comments
You buy GT to drive cars you cant drive in real life, not the car you see parked on the street every day.

Once upon a time, what differentiated Gran Turismo from every other racing game was the exact opposite of this.

Forza starts at performance cars and goes up to supercars.

No, it doesn't.

Go look up a Forza car list and sort by PI.

Then go look at the premium car list in GT6 and sort by PP. You'll be surprised.

Once upon a time, what differentiated Gran Turismo from every other racing game was the exact opposite of this.

No, it doesn't.

Go look up a Forza car list and sort by PI.

Then go look at the premium car list in GT6 and sort by PP. You'll be surprised.

Firstly, I know GT has slower cars, but you may aswell go and take your car to a racetrack. I buy GT to drive the high end sports cars and race cars, not the Honda bloody Fits.

Also Forza usually starts off slower than GT

GT5 - Honda Civic Type R (EK) '97 or Mazda MX-5 '93
Forza 4 - Peugoet 107 or similar

Firstly, I know GT has slower cars, but you may aswell go and take your car to a racetrack. I buy GT to drive the high end sports cars and race cars, not the Honda bloody Fits.

Nonetheless, you should understand that Gran Turismo became as popular as it did precisely because it was a game that didn't only target people like yourself. It caters to all car lovers, and there is apparently a significant group who enjoy the slower cars, or GT and FM wouldn't still be adding them.

Those slow cars are part of what allows GT to be as successful as it is and bring you the cars that you'd want to drive. But you must be happy with their recent car choices anyway, the premium car list is skewed significantly towards exotics and rare old stuff, with a very limited selection of "everyday" type cars.

The game is slowly becoming what you want, which is unfortunate for people like me who enjoyed producing built versions of road cars.

Nonetheless, you should understand that Gran Turismo became as popular as it did precisely because it was a game that didn't only target people like yourself. It caters to all car lovers, and there is apparently a significant group who enjoy the slower cars, or GT and FM wouldn't still be adding them.

Those slow cars are part of what allows GT to be as successful as it is and bring you the cars that you'd want to drive. But you must be happy with their recent car choices anyway, the premium car list is skewed significantly towards exotics and rare old stuff, with a very limited selection of "everyday" type cars.

The game is slowly becoming what you want, which is unfortunate for people like me who enjoyed producing built versions of road cars.
I'm not against the slower cars, as long as I'm not forced to drive them. In GT6 I am forced to drive a slow, boring, average, Honda Fit with 117HP. This is the problem. I would like to start with something that has atleast 147HP. I get that people like slower cars, I enjoy driving my Sileighty on GT6 myself, but I just don't like it when I am forced to drive the slow boring cars at the start. I don't want GT6 to just have supercars, or single any type of car out, I wont really mind if GT7 brings the 2015 Mazda 2 or the Audi A1 or even the new Beetle. My favourite cars to drive on GT6 are the hot hatches, especially the Ford Focus ST '13. But on GT4 (My favourite GT) you had the option to start with a Mazda MX-5 or a Mitsubishi Evo, I usually went Evo, if I wanted it to be more challenging I went for the Primera 2.0 Te. I like that GT has the slower stuff because it caters to every player, if I didn't I would have said "Get rid of anything under 400PP, but I didn't.

...as long as I'm not forced to drive them. In GT6 I am forced to drive a slow, boring, average, Honda Fit with 117HP. This is the problem.

Oh, I agree. It was terrible game design. I drove one race and sold it to go buy something else.

I don't want GT6 to just have supercars...

You buy GT to drive cars you cant drive in real life, not the car you see parked on the street every day. Aston's, Ferrari's, Lambo's, THAT is what GT is about, not 70HP hatchbacks

I may have misunderstood you then, but you can sort of see why with the way you phrased it...

Oh, I agree. It was terrible game design. I drove one race and sold it to go buy something else.

I may have misunderstood you then, but you can sort of see why with the way you phrased it...

Yeah, sorry for that, I do hope they keep them in for the people who enjoy them, at least Kaz has said standards stay for GT7, and I don't think they will remove any existing cars apart from premium upgrade

Try and expand the variety of cars and tracks from different countries example
  • Russia
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • Australia
  • Denmark
  • Switzerland
  • India
  • & etc.
Expand the variety? GT6 has cars from almost every country, Japan, US, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Korea, Australia. Only countries left that have cars that would be interesting in GT7, as far as I know, is Russia and Mexico, mainly because of Marussia. and the GTA Spano
upload_2014-12-8_9-57-34.jpeg

th

The Spano kinda looks like a Ferrari F430

Australia is very lacking in cars from my country in this game I believe unless that changes for GT7. One old 2000 Ford XR8 Race car & two old Holden 2004 Commodores & Monaros & all are not premium. It would be nice to have vintage cars & modern cars from Australia & the Australian car culture properly represented.

Australia is very lacking in cars from my country in this game. One old 2000 Ford XR8 Race car & two old Holden 2004 Commodores & Monaros & all are not premium. It would be nice to have vintage cars & modern cars from Australia & the Australian car culture properly represented.
True, it would be nice to have some modern Holden Commodre SS's or Holden Utes, or maybe some modern Australian Fords (TBH I don't know Australian cars that well as I'm not Australian.)

th

th

Yes & thats why I am hoping Australian cars get recognised in Gran Turismo 7 so the International audiences can get to know more about them by driving them in Gran Turismo 7 if the line up gets severely updated!
I hope all car cultures get a big boost in cars, that's what GT should be about, celebrating all of the worlds various car cultures, from US Muscle cars to British Sports Cars, Italian Supercars, Japanese Imports, Australian Muscle Cars, etc. etc.

I do think the one PD aren't paying attention to is the Australian one though, 3 cars from one country is not enough when that country make a lot of cars, even if they are branded differently around the world.

List of Australian cars

Holden Commodore
Ford Falcon
Elfin MS8
Redback Spyder
HSV Maloo
FPV Pursuit ute
Joss JP1
Bolwell Nagari
Most of those I don't know.
I remember the Joss JP1 from PGR and Forza, this is it right?
th

I know the FPV, HSV and Holden's as well.

I will start off by saying that Polyphony Digital have done a great job over the years with the Gran Turismo Series. They have provded a nice experience that each of us as car and racing enthusiasts appreciate.

Also these are my PERSONAL PREFERENCES, I don't want Gran Turismo to turn into Forza.Moving on, I can say that there aren't too many additions needed I.M.O except...

-Improved Sounds

-Competitive A.I

-Course Creator (Similar in style of GT5, but with more malleability)

-Improved Arcade Mode.

The variant found in GT4 is my personal favorite. If they made Arcade Mode like this but with all cars made available, maybe as you acquire licenses.Details are as follows...

Tuning races:

Number of Laps, Race Type:Time Attack/Championship/Overtake Challenge/Endurance, Opponents/Type of opponents muscle/tuner/super GT/One make/Choose field of vehicles I.E: 4 Huayra, 4 Aventadors, 4 Enzo, 4 12C)

Damage/Wear/Fuel Consumption

-Bring back some of the GREAT menu music from GT1-4.

That is all.

I would re-create Gran Turismo. GT is a classic game that has been doing its best over all these years but i really expected more for the current generation. This game didnt make that huge jump it was supposed to and if would of owned Pholphony Digital, everything would of changed but still be Gran Turismo. I would want to put in more detailed cars and a lot from each manufacturer like Pholphony Digital has already done but no more "Standard Cars". Overall i would want to put more effort and time to make into the graphics and physics of the game. I would also want to add more tuning options to the cars like tire pressure, anti lag systems, boost controller, etc. I definitely would take off anything else thats not important to the community like cars no one uses, pit service, and data logger. I would do all that the players of my game request. Since this is a racing game, I wouldn't do much too the courses but improve them and then add more tracks that people would use for drag racing and drifting but I would also leave that for you guys to make with the Course Creator. Yah it could end up similar to Forza but i want to make to the point where its just for everyone to have fun and race each other without any complaints. Theres so much to add but im going to keep this short. Basically, I want this game to be almost perfect to this community. This is what i want to create.

I will start off by saying that Polyphony Digital have done a great job over the years with the Gran Turismo Series. They have provded a nice experience that each of us as car and racing enthusiasts appreciate.

Also these are my PERSONAL PREFERENCES, I don't want Gran Turismo to turn into Forza.Moving on, I can say that there aren't too many additions needed I.M.O except...

-Improved Sounds

-Competitive A.I

-Course Creator (Similar in style of GT5, but with more malleability)

-Improved Arcade Mode.

The variant found in GT4 is my personal favorite. If they made Arcade Mode like this but with all cars made available, maybe as you acquire licenses.Details are as follows...

Tuning races:

Number of Laps, Race Type:Time Attack/Championship/Overtake Challenge/Endurance, Opponents/Type of opponents muscle/tuner/super GT/One make/Choose field of vehicles I.E: 4 Huayra, 4 Aventadors, 4 Enzo, 4 12C)

Damage/Wear/Fuel Consumption

-Bring back some of the GREAT menu music from GT1-4.

That is all.
If you get all of this how will it be different from Forza outside of individual cars and tracks in the game?

If you get all of this how will it be different from Forza outside of individual cars and tracks in the game?

If you've played a forza game then you'll note that Forza doesn't have some of the options that I listed for arcade mode. I.E: Overtake challenge.

In Forza all cars are available from the beggining in arcade mode, but my suggestion was a gradual unlock system based around license test completion. I.E: B License completion unlocks all B Class cars, A license completion unlocks A Class cars.

BTW Forza doesn't even have license tests.

Hmmm and the obvious... Classic style Gran Turismo menu music.

What is already accomplished in the game (vision gt for instance) makes it unique.

Now if I suggested livery editor then I could see nearing toward forza territory.

Last edited:
For me, I would basically take the best aspects of GT right now and mesh them with aspects people like in other Sims & games such as Project CARS, Forza Motorsport, & Assetto Corsa. That would be my personal vision for GT7. I would also implement a communications department for the company so people can know what is happening with Gran Turismo whether when the next update for GT7 would be coming or what problems were trying to fix.

Release 3 gigabyte updates consisting only of bug fixes twice every week. Remove every premium car in the game, and take one full year to "fix them." Also, hold off course maker, photo mode, until GT12 is released. Change PS2 car models to PS1 car models where possible. More "24 Minutes of ..." races. Soundtrack consisting entirely of 50+ remixes of Skrillex's "Bangarang." Facebook and Google+ integration. Remove license tests. Only way to earn credits is microtransactions. AI always drives FGT, Red Bull X2011 or Chaparral 2X, and always crashes into you. Adds 273465 more Skylines, each of them the same; just wearing different paint colors. Same layout as GT6, except with trippy rainbow colors. Revert to GT2 physics. Remove every original circuit from the game, and Bathurst. Make the game an Xbox exclusive.

Why not buy a Honda Fit?

Last edited:
I'm back with another idea - If I'm in charge, I'll take a step back and evaluate the very essence of GT franchise. And then decide which direction I'd take this series onwards. This mentality of "something for everyone" can't continue unless bus loads of new people are hired to carry out this vision. Personally, I'd take a year off to do the evaluation, not to mention recharge my batteries - if I've been making same game over and over again for last 17+ years no doubt I'd need a looooooong vacation for the sake of mental health... Perhaps make another genre of game altogether....
Once I figure out the direction the franchise needs to take, then I'll look at my options:

1. GT as a dedicated sim: drop the standard road cars, however painful that might be for some, and also decrease the number of premium cars - not just a random culling, but with the aim of achieving a thoughtfully laid out car list that would cater for a serious track action. So, most of Daihatsus will get the chop, then...:D...:lol:
Vastly increase the race options - variable weather, time, surface/road temperature on all tracks in the game, realistic mechanical damage, more accurate tyre wear models, fuel depletion etc.
Introduce livery editor as well as more so-called base race cars. Introduce sponsorships. Rename B-spec to, hmm, Manager Mode (or something), introduce weather forecast system so you can strategise next pitstop several laps down the line. Be able to train B-spec drivers and pit crew outside of actual race weekends. If your car is involved in a mishap, have the ability to repair the car during a pitstop at the cost of time. Be able to run more than one car per race. Oh and don't forget to implement two things that made B-spec tolerable in GT4: ability to speed up the race, and the ability to swap between A and B-spec during pitstop. Oh and also that save progress feature from GT5 2.0.

2. GT remains as is: decrease the number of standards, reintroduce so-called iconic motors when ready. Reintroduce tracks from past GTs - ya know, the ones that simulation-wise make no sense but huge-fun-nonetheless tracks. Work with other Sony-owned devs, especially ones situated in North America and Europe. Split the game's focus discreetly to accommodate online MP-centric gamers as well as those of "lone-wolf" offline types - no one gets short changed. Not on my watch.
Openly talk to other racing game devs and share ideas on forums. Talk to EA regarding a cooperative deal, the way Sony did with Capcom regarding Street Fighter V. The deal could entail something similar to my team helping out with the development of next track-focused NFS title, all the while EA shares their vehicle/track assets with me - or even better, their knowledge on how to make a open-world racing game.
Fully incorporate PS4's "share" capability into the game - such as direct uploading of your saved and edited replay video to Youtube or/and Twitch or whoever - make the game less about outright racing but of various social-related car-related activity. You can use your imagination on that. I'd say something akin to Test Drive Unlimited, but much less focus on partying.;) Oh and let's get some bikes while I'm on it.
Make the physics engine and AI even more forgiving but at same time make them discreetly adjustable over a wider range. Re-jig license and coffee breaks so they become FUN. Oh and educational too.đź‘Ť
Introduce a livery system similar to Midnight Club - not Forza....I don't wanna give ammo to those console fanboys....:D

Implement leaderboard system on pretty much everything, including stuff like number of times you crashed into someone, how many times you painted a particular car, how many mods this car has, etc.

..............:boggled: Phew.

I did leave out a couple of more obvious things out.....I'm too tired to type anymore so......I'm off to bed.

Get rid of standard cars altogether and have a serious think about the cars you want in the game. Instead of several variants of the same car, just have one. Instead of 1000+ cars where I'd only want to try 200 of them, make sure I want to try all 1000 cars and make them as good as they can be. Doesn't mean getting rid of every slow car but still.

No matter what the process is, make sure that sounds are the number one priority. It will never matter how good the game looks or what the physics engine is like if every car sounds like a synthesised hoover, it just ruins the whole experience. It's not even like it's hard to do convincing car sounds given that modders can do it for cars in rFactor and the likes. Good sound recording methods need to be developed and if not, just get the people from Forza, NFS or whatever to do it because GT is so far behind it's unreal.

Then make sure that racing modification is available. As much as I loved the fact you could do it to nigh on 95% of cars in GT1 and GT2 I'd only ever be interested in the actual racing versions so limit it to that. If you have a P11 Primera then at the very least make sure you have the BTCC version available (and hopefully with different year liveries, drivers and numbers for added choice). Same with a McLaren F1 GTR. It's nice having the Ueno Clinic Le Mans winning car but there were at least 10 other liveries that the short tail cars ran in, make those available too. I'd rather this than a livery editor as there were far too many rubbish 'fantasy' liveries on the Forza marketplace and only the replica paints every looked any good. For example, I don't want a Vodafone McLaren livery on my MP4-12C because it looks completely out of place.

I like the core sandbox concept of GT (the main thing GT has going for it) but for me the gameplay has stagnated. Racing modifications, sound, AI, new racing categories (for instance, 2 Litre and 5 Litre categories) are just some ideas off the top of my head. A racing series doesn't feel immersive if it's just against stock cars starting 30 seconds in front. But we all knew that anyway.

EDIT: these areas (excluding AI) would also add a lot to the online experience also.

Last edited:
Time for an elaboration on what I would do with GT7.

Career Mode:
- Multiple Career options, there would be a sandbox mode for people that just want to drive cars right away, simulator mode for the hardcore sim guys, and there would be the classic GT mode for guys like me that oddly enough never grow tired of the GT career mode style.
- Difficulty options would be implemented similar to Forza Motorsport, except with a bit more detail. The A.I. for instance can be dialed up or down on their competitiveness to acompany the player. (I.E. chase the rabbit for amateurs like me and crazy racers for the pros). Players would also be able to choose to turn both the cosmetic & mechanical damge from on/off.
- The payouts for winning events will be improved & if that's not enough, there will be bonuses for completing a race with harder difficulty settings to reward the more experienced drivers. The login bonus will still be in effect aswell.

Physics:
- The driving physics are one of the better things about GT right now, they will continue to evolve simply.
- I would have the collision physics have an overhaul as well there would be an improved damage model. The model would be based on the one used on the rally cars in GT5. Which yeah, would require some remodeling to be done.

Communication:
- As I said before, I would personally get a communications department for Polyphony Digital so players can have a better idea on what's going on with GT rather than just be left in the dark.
- I wouldn't announce anything until I'm sure whatever it is would be nearly done already.
- The Community section of the Gran Turismo website would become the place where fans can explain what they think of the series and what could be done to improve it. It would basically become something similar to what the Forza webpage is.

Customization & Tuning:
- Kaz has said that he doesn't want players for some reason to have too much freedom with a livery editor or something like that. Though, I'm not like him so; a livery editor would be one of the first new features to be added to GT7 for customization.
- GT Auto would be given a new feature where players will have to repair their car after getting wrecked in a race. Though, this of course is optional.
- There would be more body kits made available to cars based on the real world aftermarket & factory parts. So yeah, if a player wants a Saleen bodykit on their '07 Mustang GT for instance, they can have one. If you want a Nismo bodykit on your R34 Skyline, go right ahead.
- Players will be able to increase the width of their tires & have more suspension options.

Cars & Modelling:
- Sorry to the people that love these, but I would drop the standard cars. I'm sorry, but PS2 modelled cars have no place on the PS4. Of course, they wouldn't all be gone. I would have a poll for fans to pick their favorite cars on the standard car list that they want to keep and those very cars would be remodeled for GT7. The other standards though would also be remodeled down the road.
- I would try to have a more balanced car list for GT7, no more of the Japan biased and silly duplicates.
- Outsourcing would also be required in order to increase the amount of models made per year.There would be more modelers hired as well.

Tracks:
- Like with the cars, I would probably look into hiring more help so there would be more real world tracks in GT7.
- I would also make use of the community section of the GT website to find out what players would like to see for new fantasy tracks.
- Also yes, some old favorite fantasy tracks would return to the series. I would already know which ones to bring back first.

Not going to repeat anyone else's ideas on career modes and the rest because there is alot of good idea's.
And as its a "Driving Sim" money no object, I would go all hardcore, And yes a total pipe dream that will never be met anytime soon :(

Team up with Google maps/earth, And have a 1:1 scale earth as close as possible to real life.
If its 350 miles between two tracks you have the option to drive that real road, load up your truck and off you go
ferries, cargo ships, planes included, employ other players, And a bonus to that is it appeals to flight, shipping and truck driver sim players ( Big fan of Euro Truck Simulator myself )
If you want to drive around the globe in a Daihatsu midget, See you in 8-10 months haha.

Add properties, parts warehouse's and factories, dealerships, for the tycoon types
Suspension rigs and full on engine design workshops
(Think automation, A WIP PC game, where you design an engine from scratch bore, stroke, internals like picking if you wanted cast or forged pistons, cast iron or magnesium block, fuel ratios, compression/cam adjustments) then sell the engines as crate motors to other players, To fit into player designed championship regulations, Test track/Trackday costs, for the tuners

Empty land for sale for track builders that would need to be managed and designed well

Say I build a 4 corner oval very similar to Indy, no one uses my track, Because well Indy is better I go bankrupt and lose the land for someone else to buy and build on, And another player builds an epic original track that alot of players enjoy they make money keep their land, And get to upgrade facilities to make it even better, Unless they go AWOL and don't manage it for a while they lose the land to.

Full on weather and time of day
So if its night time and raining at Suzuka in real life its night and raining in the game,
or any other real world track.

Player designed races where you can stop at a hotel/camp site save your game and come back to the race later on
Trophy truck race from Melborune - darwin, 43hours and 3,752 km, Right across the outback,
GT road car race from Lisbon, Portugal—Shanghai, China ( I broke google maps trying to work out how long that would take haha )
Rock crawler race to the summit of Mt Everest.

Huge groups of players hanging about at places like, Tail of the dragon North Carolina–Tennessee, Shuto expressway - Japan.

Buy/rent houses and hotel rooms for fast travel between favourite locations
I could go on forever but i'll stop here cause I have blown my budget of a few billion already ;P

Latest Posts

Back