IGN Gran Turismo PSP Review

• Thread starter Jakemania
  • 133 comments
Yeah I hope that GT5 doesn't follow PSP's footsteps... It will be interesting to see how other sites review it. IGN's main complaint was lack of career mode which would be stupid not to include in GT5 so hopefully we'll be okay..

I don´t trust videogame reviews anymore. There were times when I had a lot of fun with games that got mediocre review scores (Sega Rally Revo PSP) or played overrated titles games that I just found boring as hell (Megaman Powered Up). Give me great cars, great graphics, great tracks and a time trial mode and I´m set. I don´t care for driving against AI at all, I have the most fun in racing games competing against my own ghost (or against friends, for that matter) - so the lack of a career mode doesn´t concern me in the least bit. It´s funny how people in the review sections are acting all dissapointed and talk about cancelling their preorders because of one review.

Maybe the reviewer was expecting too much? Honestly it is a handheld. Quick few minute races. It would be absolutely stupid to have career mode where a great part of it involves individual races as well as championships that can span a full 24 hours of driving.

Anyhow it is unfortunate the game is reviewed with such a low score but I feel that maybe the reviewer is basing his score on what he expected, not what the game is.

I dont get why everyone is moaning that theres no "career mode".
It was announced like that from the beginning and i dont see why this is so bad in a PSP game. The only thing i find strange is that car buy thing.

Is it me of have IGN/euro gamer missed the goal of what the psp gt experience was aiming for.

It's not suppose to be a full on GT experience. It's designed so you can jump in play a couple of tracks when you are out and about or on the train etc and then put it down.

Or just have a few races with other psp gt owners.

If you want the full experience you play gt5 on the ps3.

No doubt if feedback is strong maybe polyphony will have a gt career mode patch which syncs with the ps3, so you can continue the hardcore driving experience on the move.

Kazunori Yamauchi had already said in an interview that the game would be more or less a party game. A game that you play for a short while when you're on a train or so, or against some friends in the same room. Just do a few laps and that's it. Reading both reviews sofar, it seems that the game is just that, just something for a GT5 player to do when he is away from his PS3.

This sounds a bit disappointing, but a game like that suits me just fine for a PSP. I'm not afraid that GT5 will be anything like this.

I haven't heard anything about saving replays though, and uploading them to the internet (to compare your best TT times with others) and the fact that you have no control over which cars will be available to buy at any given time, also worries me. Because this would mean that there will be hardly an opportunity to do some GT PSP weekly race series. So, it is just a party/casual game to the core. Sad, but not realy unexpected.

I will still buy the game anyway, maybe GT PSP is a good reason to take the train more often and leave the car at home. Good for the environment also. :sly:

I agree with J-PaP, i think the reviewers were expecting something that would wow them, although i believe the numbers of the game would be a pretty good wow factor, being this a handheld game :dunce:. I think this is a pretty good game even without a normal GT mode. And the stuff about the AI looks good :) There is nooo way i'd throw away my pre order :D

Its not too surprising. The biggest problem the game was going to have from the start was what they were going to do if the game didn't have a traditional career mode. If it turns out that they didn't do anything with it, then, really, what's the point?

Maybe the reviewer was expecting too much? Honestly it is a handheld. Quick few minute races. It would be absolutely stupid to have career mode where a great part of it involves individual races as well as championships that can span a full 24 hours of driving.
There are plenty of other PSP racing titles with career modes, so I don't see how GT is exempt.

I have posted a CVG review. They gave it 6.8 aswell.

No structure to the game apparently. I was going to buy a PSP for this but I might wait until I have had a go now.

Just checked and eurogamer came in with a 7.

They are all slating the lack of an real career mode. I gotta say thats the only thing that keeps GT going for me.

Of course it sucks that there's no career mode but nearly every one on this forum knew that months ago. But if the single race feature doesn't have sufficient configurability like being able to do long races then it is a failure.

Of course it sucks that there's no career mode but nearly every one on this forum knew that months ago.
What we didn't know was that they weren't going to do anything to replace it. I know I was expecting something, maybe even something like Enthusia had. But I'm having serious doubts over buying it now that I know its essentially arcade mode of GT4, particularly when I already have GT2 on my PSP as well as a couple of other sim games.

Forgive me if I'm way off-base here but I think the reviews seem a little harsh considering the main point of contention is the fact there is no 'Career' mode, thus no achievement.

Why?

If you really, really think about it racing games have a career mode for one thing...to accumulate cars and unlock tracks.

From what I have read it seems all tracks are open right from the start, which is better than having to race a predetermined number of races to unlock tracks. The variety is there from the start.

Secondly, as with any other racing game, you still accumulate credits and purchase cars. Now, to me, that sounds like any other racing game.

A different mechanic yes...but it is that far away from the norm? Nope.

I'd just like to add that the CVG review pointed fingers to the fact players aren't able to buy any car...they have a selection to choose from at different intervals. This is the whole structure of GT PSP, is it not? That's why there is a trade function in the game. For example if people miss a great selection of Ferrari's and find someone else racing one online they can trade. In other words THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME. Certain cars may be rare compared to others.

Shame about the A.I., though.

Last edited:
But if the single race feature doesn't have sufficient configurability like being able to do long races then it is a failure.
Has the length of races been mentioned anywhere yet? It would be a bit daft to have a 4 hour enduro, if the battery runs out after 2!

To be honest, I don't care about a lack of career mode, but no tuning?

Seriously?

Even if it is a party game, how could they eliminate what has been a staple of every GT game to date?

Just as I said in the GT5 subforum, the IGN review is just crazy.

You knew from the beginning that GT PSP was going to be mission-based without a career mode, choosing to complain about it now is pretty 🤬 obscure.

From the CVG review:

"That's essentially what this game boils down to though - it's a collection game. A Pokémon-style, monster hunting, collect-'em-up with 'grinding' disguised as racing, and you're supposed to take satisfaction from needlessly hoarding cars instead of little yellow, pointy-eared monsters. Then trade them with mates who also want to get every car in the game for no reason."

Grinding DISGUISED as racing to collect 800 cars "for no reason". Yeah. Great review. *golf clap*

He did, which practically could mean there are tons of mission based/license like tests we have to grind.

There are 102 missions! More then enough :)

You get 800+ cars, 35 locations and for a PSP excellent physics. Isn't that all what you need in a RACE game?

There are 102 missions! More then enough :)

You get 800+ cars, 35 locations and for a PSP excellent physics. Isn't that all what you need in a RACE game?

Yes but he also said its a full console gran turismo experience on the go which I and many expected to atleast have a single player sim/career mode. Its a let down, but I'm still getting it, prolly for the car transfer thing with GT5.

Has the length of races been mentioned anywhere yet? It would be a bit daft to have a 4 hour enduro, if the battery runs out after 2!

Never really take my PSP out that much so the its more of a game to play in bed for me so 4 hour enduro's would be good especially because with the PSP's standby feature, I can divide my playing time of a four hour race into something that suits me.

To me, yes. To the run-of-the-mill videogame reviewer that is supposed to enlarge every little fault to the size of a game-breaking tragedy apparently not, though.

Never really take my PSP out that much so the its more of a game to play in bed for me so 4 hour enduro's would be good especially because with the PSP's standby feature, I can divide my playing time of a four hour race into something that suits me.

You can set up an amount of laps yourself, so it most likely will be possible to do long races :)

You don't want to do 4 hours races when you have don't get something exclusively good. In GT4 you got a lot of cash and a very special car. As the review says, non of that rewarding stuff in this version.

But it's meant for portable use, and GT mode is not really suited for portable use.

If you want to play a quick race on the go now and then, GT mobile will be all you need. Do you want to have the full GT experience, buy GT5.

Maybe you want to drive the Enzo in GT5 but don't have the money to buy it yet. Then you should play GT Mobile in the train when going to work/school, maybe play it during lunch time and on your way back home. When you get home, turn on the PS3, and really check out the Enzo in GT5!

No rewards for doing races (other than cash) and the weird car buying system (wtf is up with that ?) is a bit disappointing. I've always liked getting a special car after getting gold in a set of races.

Other than that it sound like a great appetizer for GT5 and it's certainly the best racer on psp. I don't really know what those reviewers expect from a psp game that has to fit on a 1,2 gig UMD.

I don't care much for reviews anyway, RE 5 was the biggest POS ever, and it scored high almost everywhere

sounds like im going to be still playing gt2 on my psp even after i get gt mobile. no career is a bit of a bummer. On the other hand at least pd tried to make a good racing game on the psp. try playing nfs shift on the psp to see what im talking about.

Back