IGN Gran Turismo PSP Review

• Thread starter Jakemania
  • 133 comments
You don't want to do 4 hours races when you have don't get something exclusively good. In GT4 you got a lot of cash and a very special car. As the review says, non of that rewarding stuff in this version.
I take it you never spent hours upon hours trying to squeak out that extra half second in GT4? I never got anything from it other than the joy of driving, but I did it a lot.

In fact, I think that is why these reviews aren't bothering me. At first the lack of career mode struck me as odd (when I heard about it when KY mentioned it a month or two ago) but reading the reviews now I am seeing a description of what GT4 broke down to for me. I never completed the game to 100% completion because I would try and then see a car driven by the AI that I wanted to have myself, so I then went to buy the car, tune it up and play with it. Then when I decide to enter it in a race it qualifies for I see another car that I wanted to have, and so on.

In the end, no matter how much I tried to do the main organized races, I wound up with GT4 being a race randomly to earn money so I could collect cars to just play with in an unorganized fashion game.

GT PSP sounds like they took what I made GT4 into and made it into a game.

SO what if there is no career mode, i amdit it is kinda annnoying But tbh i don't really care becuase a carrer mode would be complicated on a psp. And like veryone else said, reviewers are Morons these days, so many stupid reviews. They always expect too much. They compare it to previous gran tuirsmo games. Why not compare it too other racing games on the psp instead. I'm sure they would up the score to 9 then. I ain't cancelling my pre order.
Hey foolkiller another thing, i do the same as you! i love buying cars and racing them arund load sof differnet tracks and changing around with the settings. That's what matters to me, becuase i am a car fanatic and Seriously just driving cars endlessly is enough for me.

One review and people are getting crazy and worrying about stuff and then start to read in between lines of previous statements about GT PSP in relation to GT5 and then make opinions based on that. Come on now people, let's not get on every extremes now.

One review and people are getting crazy and worrying about stuff and then start to read in between lines of previous statements about GT PSP in relation to GT5 and then make opinions based on that. Come on now people, let's not get on every extremes now.
If anyone has played PSP versions of franchise games they will know that the PSP experiences are rarely the same as the console experience.

I just preordered this game a few days ago without realising there was no career mode, which I was really looking forward to having on the PSP. I think not including this feature is a major flaw in the game, but not having any kind of tuning is an even bigger mistake.

However, the graphics and game play look amazing, and the option of transferring cars to GT5 is still going to make this game good, but ultimately shorten its life I would say.

I take it you never spent hours upon hours trying to squeak out that extra half second in GT4? I never got anything from it other than the joy of driving, but I did it a lot.

In fact, I think that is why these reviews aren't bothering me. At first the lack of career mode struck me as odd (when I heard about it when KY mentioned it a month or two ago) but reading the reviews now I am seeing a description of what GT4 broke down to for me. I never completed the game to 100% completion because I would try and then see a car driven by the AI that I wanted to have myself, so I then went to buy the car, tune it up and play with it. Then when I decide to enter it in a race it qualifies for I see another car that I wanted to have, and so on.

In the end, no matter how much I tried to do the main organized races, I wound up with GT4 being a race randomly to earn money so I could collect cars to just play with in an unorganized fashion game.

GT PSP sounds like they took what I made GT4 into and made it into a game.

Yes that is exactly what I do.
And it feels perfect for a portable console. I just take every car I want into the Nordschleife, Suzuka, Fuji or even try get annoyed in a Rally :D

No career mode? Bring it on.

You get 800+ cars, 35 locations and for a PSP excellent physics. Isn't that all what you need in a RACE game?

You get tons of weapons, spells and monsters to fight. Isn't that all you need in an RPG?

What? You want leveling and a storry? Who ever heard of such a thing? :)

But it's meant for portable use, and GT mode is not really suited for portable use.

Really? Because the career mode seemed to work great in Toca 2...

Almost no-one posting here has even played GT PSP, so don't take anything too seriously yet. I know a few who have played it at game events that say it feels great to play, looks awesome, and that sounds like a propitious start for a new fork in the GT series, to me.

All I can see happening when it gets released is this forum is going to be full of elated PSP GT fans praising it with only a few dissenters. They will either get over it and play GT PSP or wait for GT5. Either way, GT grows.

It's not suppose to be a full on GT experience. It's designed so you can jump in play a couple of tracks when you are out and about or on the train etc and then put it down.
The thing is, that I just don't understand why you can't do that in a normal GT mode. Most races in past GT games are only about 5 minutes long. The only thing a GT mode would have changed from the driving mission/single player system they have now is now, is it would have added something to work towards, and more lasting appeal to the game for those who enjoy GT mode.

You knew from the beginning that GT PSP was going to be mission-based without a career mode, choosing to complain about it now is pretty 🤬 obscure.
Hey guys, I'm going to make a game that requires you to bang your head against the wall for 30 minutes in order to pass a level, but those who review the game had better not point that out as a negative since I let people know about it beforehand.

Trolling the psp section. must be bored now

I can only assume you are referring to me?

So being unhappy that the a huge portion of the GT experience was left out makes me a troll?

I am pretty sure that makes you the ultimate troll... you post for no reason than to insite since I obviously have a legitimate issue here and not just trolling...

Oh the irony.

BTW it's still creepy that you seem to have some need to follow me around the forum like some sad puppy...

Hey guys, I'm going to make a game that requires you to bang your head against the wall for 30 minutes in order to pass a level, but those who review the game had better not point that out as a negative since I let people know about it beforehand.

Yeah, and with your logic why even play the game in the first place if you know it lacks a critical component and are going to complain about it aimlessly? :odd:

Yeah, and with your logic why even play the game in the first place if you know it lacks a critical component and are going to complain about it aimlessly? :odd:

So YOUR logic is that if it's great, praise it, but if it sucks don't say anything about it... gotcha...

We will just ignore that many of us were waiting for this game for a long time and have been looking forward to the GT experience on the go... no reason to voice dissapointment there.

I can see why the ign dude was upset. But i think GTPSP is just a quick fix on the road of gt action.

AND when you are gaming on the road and off battery its is probably better not to waste time tuning your car like crazy and just race.

PSP is not the greatest console to marathon on (look at how small the screen is). The game is limited in those ways to keep players on the tracks more and to avoid having them take 1 hour of repeating the same thing just to gold a short license exam.

He was being to demanding in his review. Comparing it to versions on more powerful gear is unfair.

It's really comedic how many of you were expecting to get a full experience from a portable version of a game when Kazunori said in the beginning that's what you weren't getting.

It's a mission-based game who's only intent is nothing more than a placeholder and medium for GT5, so either buy it and enjoy it for what it is or just get the hell over it already.

The game is limited in those ways to keep players on the tracks more and to avoid having them take 1 hour of repeating the same thing just to gold a short license exam.
I can agree with this, but they took it too far in the other direction. And the arbitrary restrictions don't seem to be any better.

He was being to demanding in his review. Comparing it to versions on more powerful gear is unfair.
TOCA 2 is essentially identical to the console game.

It's really comedic how many of you were expecting to get a full experience from a portable version of a game when Kazunori said in the beginning that's what you weren't getting.
Its really comedic how many of you are so ready to slit the throats of those who say that the reviews knocking points off for having no depth may have a point

See what I did there?

It's a mission-based game who's only intent is nothing more than a placeholder and medium for GT5, so either buy it and enjoy it for what it is or just get the hell over it already.
Because the opinion of those who may have bought a PSP for the game in the first place have no right to be disappointed, amiright? They should be happy that PD was willing to humour them with a mere shell of an actual GT game.

I do love the implication that people have to love something to discuss it. Quite frankly, the comparisons to the Sonic fanbase just get more and more funny.

Last edited:
I never said they were wrong or right, I said obscure. :P

Alright, perhaps I am expressing my opinion in a radical fashion, but I don't understand why people are just now deciding to moan and complain about something that's been known before Gran Turismo was even given a proper release date?

Speaking purely for myself, I knew the game wasn't going to have a proper career mode. What I didn't know, and what these reviews made me realize, is that the game has nothing to take the place of the traditional career mode; and its presentation itself makes it seem like nothing more than a cash-in for GT5 than an actual game of its own merit.

I still might get it eventually so I can do some NSX vs. Countach or something (assuming I don't just get GT5), but I'm no longer saddened that I didn't pre-order it.

Last edited:

Didn´t he mention in an interview that the game is simply called "Gran Turismo" and not "Gran Turismo Mobile/PSP/Whatever" because he DIDN´T want to give the impression that this was anything less than a proper entry into the series?

Didn´t he mention in an interview that the game is simply called "Gran Turismo" and not "Gran Turismo Mobile/PSP/Whatever" because he DIDN´T want to give the impression that this was anything less than a proper entry into the series?

Indeed he did say that, and I suppose to that degree you could be disappointed but not so much after he blurted out what he considered to be "fully-specced" Gran Turismo.

I don't know. It's not a deal-breaker for me, so naturally my opinion is going to be different. :dopey:

its a freaking hand held version, what the hell did you expect... it's something fun to play while your walking through the mall or on a long boring trip, Yet some people expected it to be a full blown "Console" game.... enjoy it, be happy for what it is,what it has acheived,and what it can do, On a peice of hardware that can fit in your pocket.

I know one thing... That Bugatti Veyron sounds soooooo wrong!
anger_smilie.gif

its a freaking hand held version, what the hell did you expect... it's something fun to play while your walking through the mall or on a long boring trip, Yet some people expected it to be a full blown "Console" game.... enjoy it, be happy for what it is,what it has acheived,and what it can do, On a peice of hardware that can fit in your pocket.
Can people stop saying this? Why are the standards suddenly lower for the PSP? Absolutely nothing prevents the PSP from doing console-style games. The fact that one of the earlier racing games on the system was a straight port of the console version with practically no changes to the structure should make that obvious.

I don't even care if the game not having a career mode doesn't effect you, but that's quite different from saying "it shouldn't because somehow it being a PSP game makes it exempt."

@Toronado:

I will refrain from final judgement until I have played it, but generally, so far, I am with you. I see no reason whatsoever this game should not have at least some kind of a career mode. It wouldn't even have to be the main bit of the game, I would be perfectly fine with an arcade mode as the main bit and a simple career (like in GT5P) for those who like to play Gran Turismo that way. To put that in is no technical challenge and wouldn't have harmed anyone.

Can people stop saying this? Why are the standards suddenly lower for the PSP? Absolutely nothing prevents the PSP from doing console-style games. The fact that one of the earlier racing games on the system was a straight port of the console version with practically no changes to the structure should make that obvious.

I don't even care if the game not having a career mode doesn't effect you, but that's quite different from saying "it shouldn't because somehow it being a PSP game makes it exempt."

How much space did TOCA 2 consume?

Can people stop saying this? Why are the standards suddenly lower for the PSP? Absolutely nothing prevents the PSP from doing console-style games.

Fine, let's port God of War 1 & 2 straight to the PSP, or maybe GTA: San Andreas, or one of the Final Fantasies? You realize what you are saying? The standards are obviously lower for the PSP, UMD's don't have the space of a DVD or a Blu-ray, it doesn't have the processing power of the PS2!

Back