ilikewaffles11's Toyotas

You don't know rusty bolts until you works no a 1980s Toyota which sat for many years. :lol: The front right was like that, the one pad had half the friction material gone. The bolts holding them all together are especially a joy, because you PRAY that they won't snap off.

I'd recommend it if you have the spare time and money, and necessities to do it. It's a good learning experience and practice, not to mention it's gonna be so much sweeter when I finally get it on the road for the first time. :D

Yeah, I have a nasty habit of breaking things at work too (all part of the learning, I guess? :scared:), and it's awful when you're loosening them and you can just feel them about to snap and there's nothing you can do. :lol:

I'd love to, in fact I was looking around on eBay for a project and found a few cool things, such as an '86 Jetta for £275 and a Porsche 944 for £575. I think I'll wait until I've paid for my first car and all that jazz before I buy a project, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with one at some point. :P

Yeah, I have a nasty habit of breaking things at work too (all part of the learning, I guess? :scared:), and it's awful when you're loosening them and you can just feel them about to snap and there's nothing you can do. :lol:

I'd love to, in fact I was looking around on eBay for a project and found a few cool things, such as an '86 Jetta for £275 and a Porsche 944 for £575. I think I'll wait until I've paid for my first car and all that jazz before I buy a project, but I'm pretty sure I'll end up with one at some point. :P

Yea I know exactly what you mean. :lol: My Supra has plenty of broken bolts. I just use lots of penetrating oil and hope for the best.

As cool as a 944 project would be, that'd probably be a really bad idea financially. :P

@ilikewaffles11 Penetrating oil is your best bet. Did you let it sit before you tried to unscrew them though? Also, what is the Celica Coupe owner planning to do?

Also, @Katiegan go for the Jetta. Parts are cheaper. Is it a diesel? A petrol engine with catalytic converter or without?

@ilikewaffles11 Penetrating oil is your best bet. Did you let it sit before you tried to unscrew them though? Also, what is the Celica Coupe owner planning to do?

Also, @Katiegan go for the Jetta. Parts are cheaper. Is it a diesel? A petrol engine with catalytic converter or without?

I did for some. If they didn't wanna come off I sprayed them down. The one bolt on the left front I had to leave soak as I was sure it was gonna snap. After doing the tires, I came back and forgot to turn the ratchet to the 'off' position and heard a 'pop' when I tightebed it and thought I broke it. Luckily it was just the threads breaking loose. :lol:

As for the Celica owner, the white one is his parts car. He owns two for himself (a white GTS with a 22RTE swapped in and a red GT) and he bought my friends black GTS. The parts car has a good motor which he took all the good parts from and put them on the black one. The rest of the parts will be stripped for spares and all of the good trim will be put on one of his other cars.

Ah. So he's making a daily driver?

Man, you guys find these cars left and right. I can't find a decent one yet.

Well he's planning on flipping it for a profit, maybe driving it a while.

We have connections. :P Most of our stuff had to be built with donor cars. My friend got that black one on CL and it spun a beating so he bought it off of him to flip it.

:lol: Id recommend just looking around. Talk to people with other old Toyotas you may see at shows or wherever. Look on Craigslist and stuff.

I haven't seen a good car meet in Canada since 2005. If I'm going to get a nice project car, I'm going down to Cali or Nevada.

Yea I know exactly what you mean. :lol: My Supra has plenty of broken bolts. I just use lots of penetrating oil and hope for the best.

As cool as a 944 project would be, that'd probably be a really bad idea financially. :P

If in doubt, WD40! :sly:

Yeah, that's the only downside. A shame, because I really love 944s and that was pretty cheap for what it was.

It was a petrol. Unfortunately, it sold before I could get my hands on it. Not sure if it had a cat or not, but I imagine it did otherwise it wouldn't pass an MOT here. I don't really have the money for a project right now though, got to sort out my first car and the extortionate insurance prices over here first. I'll most likely be on the look out for an old VW when I do decide to get a project though. :D

How much does W10 MR2s cost over there. I checked local MR2 prices and cheapest was 5000€ and that's quite a lot for a car in bad condition.

Remind me to call you up when I'm looking at old Toyotas. Then again these things seem to love rust. :nervous:

Sounds good. But yea, they certainly do love rust. It's really really difficult to find one here without any.

I haven't seen a good car meet in Canada since 2005. If I'm going to get a nice project car, I'm going down to Cali or Nevada.

That's your best best honestly. If I had the money, I would get a 4Runner from Cali or Arizona or something but that's a lot of money. Like, 6-8K for a nice one. :indiff:

If in doubt, WD40! :sly:

Yeah, that's the only downside. A shame, because I really love 944s and that was pretty cheap for what it was.

It was a petrol. Unfortunately, it sold before I could get my hands on it. Not sure if it had a cat or not, but I imagine it did otherwise it wouldn't pass an MOT here. I don't really have the money for a project right now though, got to sort out my first car and the extortionate insurance prices over here first. I'll most likely be on the look out for an old VW when I do decide to get a project though. :D

That or NAPA penetrating oil! :P

I agree though, I love 944s as well. my dad owned two of them, and the cost of parts was nuts. I would personally get a more expensive well sorted out and maintained one as honestly, a project will easily cost as much if by more as a nice one. Would be a fun project, but a hell of a money pit.

How much does W10 MR2s cost over there. I checked local MR2 prices and cheapest was 5000€ and that's quite a lot for a car in bad condition.

Depends. In really bad shape, you can get one for several hundred dollars. In decent shape, around 3-4K. A really nice one could range from 55-6500. They're pretty pricey as are most old Toyotas now adays.

Sounds good. But yea, they certainly do love rust. It's really really difficult to find one here without any.

My brother got an FX16 GTS from up there in Pennsylvania and the underside was among the worst I've seen. :lol: Sucks to be in the rust belt!

No it was sliver with silver wheels. This was earlier this year. He had to get rid of it though because the rust was beyond repair.

No it was sliver with silver wheels. This was earlier this year. He had to get rid of it though because the rust was beyond repair.

Ah gotha, my dad had one quite a few years ago.

That figures though. These 80s Toyota don't hold up well around here.

Depends. In really bad shape, you can get one for several hundred dollars. In decent shape, around 3-4K. A really nice one could range from 55-6500. They're pretty pricey as are most old Toyotas now adays.
That's quite amount of money, but still better than what they cost here. For what the cheapest MR2 that was running, costs, it's possible to get FB RX-7 in decent shape and save 700€ for service or 2 late 70s Minis. What this really means is that now I want to go to see that in how good shape the RX-7 I found is.

That's quite amount of money, but still better than what they cost here. For what the cheapest MR2 that was running, costs, it's possible to get FB RX-7 in decent shape and save 700€ for service or 2 late 70s Minis. What this really means is that now I want to go to see that in how good shape the RX-7 I found is.

It seems Japanese cars are pretty rare over there, and of course more expensive. The classics at least.

RX7s here are cheap but mainly because none of them run. :lol:

It seems Japanese cars are pretty rare over there, and of course more expensive. The classics at least.
Japanese cars are very common over here, but people didn't buy many sports car back in the 80s, maybe that has something to do with the fact no one could afford one back then (or now).
RX7s here are cheap but mainly because none of them run. :lol:
That makes sense. :lol:

Japanese cars are very common over here, but people didn't buy many sports car back in the 80s, maybe that has something to do with the fact no one could afford one back then (or now).
That makes sense. :lol:

Yea that's what I mean, 80s sports cars. From what I understand the MK2 Supras over there are a real rarity. Not that they're super common here, but you still see them around from time to time.

Yea it figures. :P If they're not not running, they usually have a V8 swapped into it or something.

My brother got an FX16 GTS from up there in Pennsylvania and the underside was among the worst I've seen. :lol: Sucks to be in the rust belt!

Your brother doesn't exactly have the best track record with cars though... :lol:

I love, love, love this project. Part of me wishes I lived nearby to you so I could actually help you :P I should start a thread for my dad's Subarus, the progress isn't fast enough though. :lol:

Also, about snapping bolts. I have done it once on one of my dad's Subarus. The rotors were all seized and rusted so I was taking them off. I was undoing the last bolt, and thought to myself 'sheesh, this is really tight!'. I keep pushing and pushing until it finally sets free. Grab the bolt off 'hang on... this is only half of it...' The ratchet was set on the tighten setting. :dunce:

SVX
I love, love, love this project. Part of me wishes I lived nearby to you so I could actually help you :P I should start a thread for my dad's Subarus, the progress isn't fast enough though. :lol:

Also, about snapping bolts. I have done it once on one of my dad's Subarus. The rotors were all seized and rusted so I was taking them off. I was undoing the last bolt, and thought to myself 'sheesh, this is really tight!'. I keep pushing and pushing until it finally sets free. Grab the bolt off 'hang on... this is only half of it...' The ratchet was set on the tighten setting. :dunce:

Would appreciate the help. :P But you definitely should! I'd love to see them.

:lol: Yea I've done that before. I did it the other day on this, the one really stubborn bolt I tried taking out. I didn't check the ratchet and started turning and heard a pop and thought, ****. I checked and realized I was tightening it, luckily it didn't break it was just the threads loosening up. :P

So I cleaned the Celica today in the first time in ever. Washed it at least, and checked all the fluids. I have no ****ing clue where the hoses for the vacuum are so I couldn't do that even though I really need to...

So here she is. Sorta clean.
image.jpg

There's so much crap that needs to be done to this. I can't wait until we've moved and I can do it all in the awesome new garage..
image.jpg

Dat 5SFE doe
image.jpg

I noticed the trunk was leaking... Crap. I couldn't see exactly where it's coming in from.
image.jpg

As I was backing out of the driveway water started pouring on my head. Now the sun roof is leaking, fantastic.

Ok so this is gonna be a very picture heavy post, fair warning.

So. The Celica has been through a lot lately.

Here's the legend, the myth, the elusive 2.2
image.jpg

I didn't take this, but a friend sent it to me. These were the best days, I miss them. Can't wait for next summer. :D
image.jpg

So we moved, her she is at the new house
image.jpg

And again, except this time playing in the snow
image.jpg

image.jpg

This driveway doesn't get shoveled which could be a problem if I keep this.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Instead of Supra and Celica, it's now the black bitch and the Tub.
image.jpg

image.jpg

And it's no longer summer, unfortunately
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So naturally, we did what any young car enthusiasts would do in a fresh snowstorm, found an empty unplowed parking lot to slide around in. :P

The tub was first. Diff lock is weird
image.jpg

The Celica was much more fun and willing to get the back end out. :D
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This went on for quite some time. And by that I mean like 45 minutes
image.jpg

The rare optional water cooled brakes
image.jpg

The aftermath. The wheel wells were PACKED with snow. But luckily I have a garage space for it, so I didn't have to clean it all out. :P
image.jpg

Oh, and err... We broke something. But it's just a $17 cover so I ain't even mad.
image.jpg

Reunited :D. Celica has a rebuild engine and is running like a champ, interior is being cleaned and put back together, and body work is being done. She's gonna look better than ever
image.jpg

Also brought the Supra home the other day since the roads were clear of salt and snow. And wetness in general. :D
image.jpg

That cover I realized was causing a scraping noise when the wheel was turned hard left, or well where it broke off. So here's what caused that. Gotta get the rest of the clips and screws out, which I was planning on doing Saturday along with working on the rusty racer once again. Looking forward to it!
image.jpg

And then today she hit 130K!
image.jpg

However, that might be all I take her. On Sunday I'm gonna go look at an '87 4Runner I found for sale... :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 5
Worked on the rusty racer and my Celica a bit this weekend. Lots of photos, so I'm gonna put them in spoilers.

The Celica I just took the screws and clips out where that fender cover was ripped out. I wanted to clean it but didn't get time.

The MR2 I wanted to do three things, take the O2 sensor out, figure out why the right rear tire wasn't holding air, and replace the wheel bearing. And I got most of those done. Also started on the interior.

So first I had my Celica in
image.jpg

Lots of screws and clips. Fun
image.jpg

So next was the 2. The first thing I had to do was get it setup on the lift, which was a major pain in the ass because I had to keep pushing it back and front to move it left and right. It was a huge pain in the ass to get it setup, but I finally got it.
image.jpg

First was the O2 sensor. And here's that. The wire was chewed through
image.jpg

Then I did the tire. I took it off and after cleaning it and going to put it back on, I remembered there was a tear in the bead. I took it back off, and there was one on each side. So yup. Need a new tire.

Then started on the wheel bearing. What a joy that was.

Codder pin woo
image.jpg

New wheel bearing was in the trunk. There's another one but I really don't wanna bother. Probably should though
image.jpg

More stuff for hub
image.jpg

In order to get the wheel bearing out, you have to remove the whole hub. Which entails removing these bolts on the strut
image.jpg

This one on the tie Rod
image.jpg

And wherever these came from
image.jpg

After doing that, I realized I had to knock the axle out. Which I really ****ed myself over taking it apart. I tried just using a brass hammer, but of course that didn't work. So I had to reassemble the whole thing, which was a MAJOR pain in the ass to realign everything. The axle was being particularly stubborn as well. Tried an air impact chisel thing which didn't work. More hammering, nope. So the one other guy who was there broke out the torch and heated it up until it was red hot, and we beat on it with a hammer. After about four rounds of heating it, beating it with a hammer, and repeating, it finally broke loose. Then we just used the chisel to get it a bit more. I left it at that for the night. And now I probably owe my dad a new brass hammer
image.jpg

It was still to hot so I just said **** it and left. I was already pretty pissed off and tired
image.jpg

So today. Back to that. From there I just used a punch and beat it the rest of the way out, and took the bolts all back out
image.jpg

Yaaaaaaay hub is out!!
image.jpg

image.jpg

I didn't actually get the bearing out. It's gotta be pressed out and then pressed back in, and I don't know how to use our press. So the other guy said he'd do it for me sometime this week. I'll continue with this then.

That backing plate was also fun to take off, since I stripped one screw and the one other was stuck. But a locking plyers worked well. Was fun cutting my hand on the sharp as hell rust. I just threw it away, it's shot.
image.jpg

Was also Celica palooza today :P
image.jpg

So from there went to the interior. Got the seats out and vacuumed them off well. Luckily I didn't break the bolts for them, I thought for sure the one was going to.
image.jpg

I absolutely love these seats
image.jpg

Underside looks decent
image.jpg

Subwoofer under seat. Removed for weight saving purposes naturally
image.jpg

I absolutely love the interior on these things. The dash board is so damn cool
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

However, I did get a tire! The guy at work had one on the shelf in the back that he said he doesn't need anymore which is the same size, 195/60/14.
image.jpg

Also noticed this is a very early production car. '85 is the first year, so this is from the very beginning. Thought that was pretty cool.
image.jpg

So that's as far as I got. Next time I'm gonna finish that wheel bearing, vacuum the interior, and get the carpets out. Then clean the hell out of it I guess. Still a ways to go.

Latest Posts

Back