I'm considering jumping ship from GT to Forza. Should I?

• Thread starter The Joker
  • 33 comments
United States
United States
Quackjack29
A bit of background information. I've played Gran Turismo since I could hold a controller in my hand, bought every title in the series since 2. I fell in love with the series because it was a car RPG, a wide open sandbox where I could pick any car I could imagine and do as I pleased. But with the release of GT Sport nearing, I feel like Kaz has lost touch with his more casual fans. He's become so absorbed with his racing leagues that anyone who isn't a pro with a 300$ racing wheel has nothing to do but get shredded by experts on online lobbies because the single player campaign, if there even is one, is going to be so thin. There's no cars in the game made before 2009, that's ridiculous! GT Sport just doesn't seem to be a good old fashion car RPG anymore.

Sorry if that was a bit ranty, but I've decided to give Forza a shot if it's like the old GT's. Is Forza what I'm looking for?

A bit of background information. I've played Gran Turismo since I could hold a controller in my hand, bought every title in the series since 2. I fell in love with the series because it was a car RPG, a wide open sandbox where I could pick any car I could imagine and do as I pleased. But with the release of GT Sport nearing, I feel like Kaz has lost touch with his more casual fans. He's become so absorbed with his racing leagues that anyone who isn't a pro with a 300$ racing wheel has nothing to do but get shredded by experts on online lobbies because the single player campaign, if there even is one, is going to be so thin. There's no cars in the game made before 2009, that's ridiculous! GT Sport just doesn't seem to be a good old fashion car RPG anymore.

Sorry if that was a bit ranty, but I've decided to give Forza a shot if it's like the old GT's. Is Forza what I'm looking for?

If you have a friend with an Xbox, Forza 6 and/ or Forza Horizon 3 that would be an easy way to give it a try without investing any money. I love the Forza games and car culture that surrounds the games. I love racing/driving and customizing a lot of cars, especially the older model cars in the games, so for me, Forza meets my needs. The last GT game I played was 5 (I played all of the GT games, including some of the prologue games, leading up to GT5). I honestly haven't looked back, I felt Kaz lost touch with his core base (those of us who started playing when GT1 was first released) after GT4 was released. GT4 was the last game from the series that I truly enjoyed, I thought GT5 was just ok.

Presuming Forza 7 doesn't have a drastic change of direction it's probably a better GT than GT itself.

- It should have a rather good selection of cars featuring several niche models. The only major difference is that it's severely lacking Japanese niche models like kei cars.

- Blueprint should make it's way over in a hopefully expanded form. In FH3 you can set the # of laps, weather conditions and available cars. I'm hoping they will add options more suited to proper track racing.

- FM6 already has a rather good track selection so presuming they won't drop any FM7 should be stellar (not PC2 stellar, but still stellar) as long as they add more non-U.S. tracks.

- The community features aren't perfect but are still solid. Rivals is always a fun thing to go back to.

And if you're really worried about missing out, T10 always includes plenty of questionable design choices to really complete the GT vibe. :lol:

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I wouldn't say "jump ship" unless you know that only a game in the mould of the old-school GT games is the racing game you want. Or, if you want both systems (or a PS4 and PC, since FM7 will be available on the latter).

There are a lot — I mean a lot — of racing games set to arrive in 2017. Yes, GT Sport is very much unlike the previous games. Yes, barring any major changes to FM6's formula, FM7 will be the best classic-style GT game this generation. But if you can play both, I'd say do that. For me, the hardest decision isn't which racing game to own... it's how to split my time up to play them all.

The basic elements that made GT great back in the day are definitely present; You have a hugely varied selection of cars (and a racing semi truck!) to choose from that you can drive on a variety of world class racetracks.

As a bonus, you have a variety of features that have been present since the Forza serie's inception that are just coming around in Gran Turismo (livery editor, proper sounds, proper camera views, Porsches (DLC in the last few games, but available nonetheless) somewhat believable visual damage and even mechanical damage just to name those) You also can enjoy racing the cars as they're meant to be driven, something that has been lacking in GT for a few games now. Having to put Comfort Sport tires on a supercar just to make sure you're not completely OP against the AI field is not something I feel is very fun. That's not to say it's incredibly better though, the Drivatard system works on paper, but not always in practice. It's very much hit or miss in that regard.

Where it's very different is how the game feels, not while racing, but while roaming around the menus and whatnot. Whereas the older GTs have that peppy menu music and flashy colors, FM6 is much more sedate and professional looking. Some might get turned off by that, but I feel that's just nostalgia sweeping through, as GT's menus were a navigation nightmare.

So in retrospect, yes, it's very much a GT alternative. Just don't walk in expecting a full GT copy-paste, because you will be dissapointed.

FM6 is great, and FM7 looks really awesome.

Agree with @SlipZtrEm as far as jumping ship - FM is very unique to GT and vice versa. If you have the opportunity you should play both at some point cause GT Sport looks quite good.

Forza is currently the king of the car rosters, has great sounds, graphics are awesome and you can always count on FM games to be very well polished at a buttery smooth 60fps. And they also have a wonderful thing called a bonnet cam that GT has been needing for a while now :P.

Best Buy and Windows stores usually have demos to play on the XB1 display - I've spent many lunch breaks at Best Buy playing FM5/6. That, along with a year of FM2 and another year of FM3 is the extent of my experience with the franchise and I enjoyed every bit of it. FM7 on Scorpio looks sick and I can't wait to see how it performs on PC.

Stick with GT. I for one don't plan on getting Sport. I love the wide variety of street cars in GT6, and I will be waiting for GT7.

I have watched Forza lobbies on Twitch, and they are so claustrophobic. There is no chatbox in between races, no view of the track, just a timer and a dead screen until the next race.

GT6 online is still thriving. I run a not so popular type of room, yet it completely filled up tonight. On a Tuesday.

Find a room you like or start hosting what you like, there a lot of people that don't care about the 'real racing' aspects of GT Sport. We just want to race for fun with all sorts of cars.

Stick with GT. I for one don't plan on getting Sport. I love the wide variety of street cars in GT6, and I will be waiting for GT7.

I have watched Forza lobbies on Twitch, and they are so claustrophobic. There is no chatbox in between races, no view of the track, just a timer and a dead screen until the next race.

GT6 online is still thriving. I run a not so popular type of room, yet it completely filled up tonight. On a Tuesday.

Find a room you like or start hosting what you like, there a lot of people that don't care about the 'real racing' aspects of GT Sport. We just want to race for fun with all sorts of cars.

Considering the diverse list Forza offers up, that's pretty much what T10/PG is after. My buddy isn't a big racing game fan, but 3 of us had a lot of fun just randomly racing the Caddy limo, Gurkha, and others.

There's definitely a huge mix of whatever you're after from the series from people who run professional leagues to just random fun. The Horizon series has definitely expanded on this with its environments.

Considering the diverse list Forza offers up, that's pretty much what T10/PG is after. My buddy isn't a big racing game fan, but 3 of us had a lot of fun just randomly racing the Caddy limo, Gurkha, and others.

There's definitely a huge mix of whatever you're after from the series from people who run professional leagues to just random fun. The Horizon series has definitely expanded on this with its environments.
Yeah, there are lots of cool cars in Forza. A lot of the cars I wish were in GT6. But the actual race is only half of the fun in Gran Turismo.

In my room mics are disabled so people can listen to their favorite custom music, and not listen to people's grinding wheels, barking dogs, crying kids, screaming spouses and rap music.

The Chatbox is very important.

Great cars or not, the Forza online experience still sucks.

At best it is like the Quick Match races in GT6. Which also suck, unless you are short on cash.

I have to agree with all the comments in a way^^ I have always had the old Forzas on Xbox so I went and brought a cheap (ish) brand new Xbox one 'on offer' last year in the sales with FM6 installed with a code (£180) and picked up FH2/FH3/FM5 :lol: as well (often on offer 'digital') so now I use it to flick between all 4 games without changing discs. I like the photomode and older rare cars to drive you do not find on PS4. This is all I use the Xbox for and only with a controller where the handling is very solid and easy to use (I do not have a wheel on Xbox).

No regrets here at all and you can lose hours with all the cars and livery designer, open world through Euro Coastal roads or Australia (FH2/3) or thrash old classics and race trucks around closed circuits/tracks (FM5/6 more like old GT). The graphics are very good for current gen 'although some tracks have rich saturation and contrast' making them have a different look to other games, but overall they all look detailed and feel polished and finished games. I have played Forza since no.1 but missed out 5, but now have them all and played GT since no.1 and have them all!

With 20+ odd racing games coming this year alone (see the thread I started to keep up with them all!)
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...coming-in-2017-consoles.355920/#post-11837154 GT/Forza (who used to rule the consoles) has never had so much competition !

My PS4 Pro does the rest much better for me (Wheel and 4k) so if you can afford to have 2 consoles this is the best way obviously, but if it is down to one or the other I think you must try it out first if you can, especially if you have never played the franchise.

I am the same as @SlipZtrEm If anything now I am over loaded with racing games and photomodes and now it which one to go to and finding the time to even play them all!

Yeah, there are lots of cool cars in Forza. A lot of the cars I wish were in GT6. But the actual race is only half of the fun in Gran Turismo.

In my room mics are disabled so people can listen to their favorite custom music, and not listen to people's grinding wheels, barking dogs, crying kids, screaming spouses and rap music.

At best it is like the Quick Match races in GT6. Which also suck, unless you are short on cash.
I'm pretty sure I've read experiences like this for GT6 online.

Online racing, regardless of which game, carries the same possible outcomes, even in more hardcore sims.

You're saying the Forza online experience sucks simply because it doesn't line up with your — very specific — requirements.

It also doesn't really address one of the points in the OP: single player campaigns.

GT6 is a 40-month old game on a soon-to-be-dead system (er, unsupported). Considering how quickly the plug was pulled on GT5's online post-GT6, I wouldn't be too shocked to see the same fate fall upon GT6 once GT Sport is in the wild. Plus, the netcode is pretty consistently crap.

Don't get me wrong, public lobbies in FM6 have their fair share of issues, but if you're comparing those to a regularly-scheduled race night with a group of buddies you've cultivated over the last several years in your preferred game of choice, it's a very apples-and-oranges comparison.

I fell in love with the series because it was a car RPG, a wide open sandbox where I could pick any car I could imagine and do as I pleased.

Forza Horizon 3 would be right up your alley as it's basically a sandbox racing game.

Forza Motorsport 6 is more in line with Gran Turismo in that is has more serious handling, but you can still customise, photograph etc. your cars in any way you like.

If you already have an Xbox, you can download free demos of both.

Public Multiplayer is Forza Motorsport's big weak point at the moment. It's very active, but also full of players that either struggle to get around a track cleanly or deliberately try to ruin your day.

If you can find a group of people and race privately, it's still pretty good, but you'll likely have a hard time against randoms online.

Gran Turismo 6 had the best Public Multiplayer racing experience of any game I've played. Lots of motorsport-centric features, the ability to easily kick offensive players and a playerbase that seemed a lot more mature than what you typically get in Forza.

If you replaced Forza's Multiplayer with GT's and kept the rest, it would be a near perfect racing game.

Last edited:
I don't have the huge problems with public lobbies like I hear about from others. Maybe get one clown every once in awhile and that's about it. I spend most my time in ABC'S multiclass and that may not attract the turds that race in S class and up only.

Wow, thank you guys so much for the overwhelming input! I've been deliberating the merits of upgrading my PC to handle gaming smoother, selling my PS4 in the process, and Forza definitely sounds like another reason to do it. Sadly, Gran Turismo was one of the few exclusives that made me buy a PS4 in the first place. But Forza sounds like a lot of fun.

Seems like every racing sim available on the PS4 right now is pretty much the same game repackaged with different physics. Pretty bleh if you ask me. Looks like the CarPG is dead on PlayStation 4 unfortunately.

If you're looking for casual racing games like "CPGs", don't even consider the PS4.

Forza 6 is the best racing game today : cars, tracks, customisation, a good feeling with a controller, lots and lots of events. No standard track like Deep Forest, no standard cars... Yet, there is something that I can't find in Forza. Eurogamer perfectly sums up my opinion : "Forza Motorsport 6 is too square to be cool, too rational to capture the romance of motorsport, too formulaic to capture its gritty, high-stakes drama. But it's also too good to ignore."

no standard cars... Yet,

Forza actually does have "standard" cars, T10 has just updated them so they aren't painfully obvious. Just off the top of my head the 22B, Chevelle, S14 and '95 Eclipse (and probably more) are all models from FM1 that have been given face lifts over the years.

Forza 6 is the best racing game today : cars, tracks, customisation, a good feeling with a controller, lots and lots of events. No standard track like Deep Forest, no standard cars... Yet, there is something that I can't find in Forza. Eurogamer perfectly sums up my opinion : "Forza Motorsport 6 is too square to be cool, too rational to capture the romance of motorsport, too formulaic to capture its gritty, high-stakes drama. But it's also too good to ignore."

I hadn't seen that quote until now but does that sum it up well. I do love Forza but that is spot on.

Forza actually does have "standard" cars, T10 has just updated them so they aren't painfully obvious. Just off the top of my head the 22B, Chevelle, S14 and '95 Eclipse (and probably more) are all models from FM1 that have been given face lifts over the years.
At least, they don't have a black dashboard... I'm a huge GT fan but the standard cars were uncacceptable. Everything Forza does is polished or at least "good". It's not Gran Turismo because even with all its flaws, GT has something special IMO. It's Forza, a different franchise with its flaws like an ordinary soundtrack and a strong Hollywoodesque feeling. But the game is really good : AI, graphics, handling... So yes, if you have a XB1, you should buy Forza because it looks like the old GT is gone.

I'll give a brief take. I've played GT3, 4, 5, and 6. Forza 4, Horizon, and recently 6. Forza 6 is fairly new to me, as I bought it was an XBox One S bundle; I don't have a PS4 yet and may get one depending on how GT Sport looks.

First of all the AI. It's always been a weak point in GT, and I think Forza 4 was better at it. I'm mixed on Forza 6 and the Drivatar system. The technology is impressive--as is the number of cars on track--but thus far my F6 races have consisting of stages: 1) Try to get through the pack of idiot AI smashing into each other (reminding me of some bad GT Online experience). 2) Get clear and catch up to the lead three of four. 3) Have a reasonably decent race for the last lap or two. I do like the ability to adjust the AI's competitive level, though.

The sound. Forza's cars sound fantastic. GT still really needs to improve in that area.

The environment. Each have some great and a few not so great courses, but both excel at creating impressive environments. Personally, I like very long, complex tracks as well as night races and rain. Forza 4 didn't have weather nor night, so I kept returning to GT6. Forza 6 has a few tracks available at night or in rain, but no rainy nights. That said, Forza 6's puddles of water which can cause hydroplaning is impressive. But there's nothing quite like the feel of seeing the sky lighten and dawn approach during a long race, which GT6 has.

The feel and control. Again, both have their quirks and strengths. I use controllers rather than a wheel and find the XBox's triggers for acceleration and braking much easier for fine control and doing things like left foot braking and rotating the car with pedals. Both series have some not-too-realistic elements, but both also are good at making players learn that driving a car quickly around the track is much more complex than flooring an accelerator.

Microtransactions. I hope GT doesn't delve into this, at least more than it already has, but I find it a major irritation with Forza. When you look through the car lists you'll see a lot are marked "DLC" as they're part of add on packs, as is a track in F6. And community/online has a special section for those who bought the "VIP" package. F6's layout also has two tabs committed to the Porsche and Nascar pack add ons. With all the Forzas I've played there's been this continual sense of being "nickel and dimed."

Overall gameplay. This is tough, as there are things I like and dislike about each. I will say that if I hadn't been fairly disappointed by GT5 before the patches I doubt I'd have played Forza. While GT6 is a definite improvement and GT Sport has some things that look interesting, I don't have a lot of confidence that Polyphony realizes part of GT3 and 4's greatness was offering players a tremendous amount of things to do, having a lot of replay value, and a sense of progression. In general I sometimes feel that Polyphony has forgotten GT is a game, while Forza has not. That said, when GT gets something right it's often unmatched, and I think playing GT games improved my understanding of how a car behaves.

So this is turning out to be much more than I planned on typing. To sum up I'll say don't "jump ship" and wait to see what GT Sport turns out to be. But if you have an XBox One or plan on getting one, Forza is certainly worth playing and has a lot of offer.

That's my plan, anyway. For now I'll play Forza 6 along with Dirt Rally and possibly fire up GT6 once in a while to see what's new. I'll consider getting Forza 7 and GT Sport when they come out, but I'll likely hold off on both for a bit to see if I like what they offer. Between the two I'm most hopeful for GT Sport, as I'd really like to see Polyphony make a return to greatness.

GT7 will be released soon on the new and improved PS8

I am very critical of every car game I play (as I have yet to find the perfect one and it annoys me) but one thing I can say is that I keep returning to FM6 all the time. In fact I have deleted it twice from my hard drive as I lacked room on the 500GB, only to find myself reinstalling it a couple of weeks later. Ha! There is something about it that keeps dragging me back.

Content wise FM cannot be beaten. Massive game with 600-700+ cars, DLC landing all the time and the awesome Horizon to follow just 12 months later. Turn 10 / Playground are mind blowing compared to the lackluster Kaz and team.

I have been a hardcore GT fan since1 and love the series. GT sport is just not appealing to me so I will wait for GT7, in the meantime i'm thinking of getting xbone and FM6. The car and track roster is just sick!:bowdown: Are physics and handling simulator like.

I have been a hardcore GT fan since1 and love the series. GT sport is just not appealing to me so I will wait for GT7, in the meantime i'm thinking of getting xbone and FM6. The car and track roster is just sick!:bowdown: Are physics and handling simulator like.

They're on a similar level to GT Sport's, honestly. Both games do some things better than the other, while neither reaches the level of titles like iRacing or Assetto Corsa. Cars in FM6 tend to have a propensity for wagging their tails, though what time I had on FM7 seems to suggest that's been minimized.

I've driven every single car in FM6 around Lime Rock. There are definitely subtle handling differences between trim levels, but I'll readily admit a good chunk of the bigger '60s muscle cars sort of blurred together. That's more a comment on how little I really know about all of them, though.

Are you on a wheel or pad?

They're on a similar level to GT Sport's, honestly. Both games do some things better than the other, while neither reaches the level of titles like iRacing or Assetto Corsa. Cars in FM6 tend to have a propensity for wagging their tails, though what time I had on FM7 seems to suggest that's been minimized.

I've driven every single car in FM6 around Lime Rock. There are definitely subtle handling differences between trim levels, but I'll readily admit a good chunk of the bigger '60s muscle cars sort of blurred together. That's more a comment on how little I really know about all of them, though.

Are you on a wheel or pad?
I'm on pad.

I'm on pad.

Then you shouldn't find the jump too drastic. FM6 is arguably better-suited to pad players than wheel anyway — the XB1 controller is a great one to use for racing games thanks to the rumble triggers. It makes driving without ABS very enjoyable, IMO.

Back