I'm thinking about standard cars in GT7

• Thread starter Illogical
  • 521 comments
Well they all need work for PS4 but certainly some more than others. Mainly all the old original circuits. Personally I'd like to see a lot of them given a proper overhaul, like they did with High Speed Ring. Keep the track the same, but completely redo the landscape. Racing alongside unprotected rocks and mountains is a bit silly, especially if you're not going to include a proper damage model.

On one end, I agree. There's no getting around the fact that visually, HSR looks outstanding now.

But I guess from a nostalgic standpoint, it doesn't even feel like the same track anymore. IMO that's a little disappointing.

Though more than anything I'd like to see dynamic time and weather added for every variation of every track. Even before GT5's existence, the thought of racing at Grand Valley, Deep Forest, and Trial Mountain at night has always been something I want to experience.

I'll gladly take 27 premium Miata/MX-5's.
Yes please. No cuts, cuts are unnecessary. I would most certainly be pissed if they tried to remove the Element or the Leaf.

I don't mind standard cars in gt6. The only thing I don't like about it is the 'simplified' interior, where they just black out everything lazily. They could at least have, say, 5 cockpits that suit standard cars, 1 for muscle cars, another for saloon cars, race cars, etc.
Another thing I don't like is that they have a handful of cars with 20 versions of them which are the exact same bar a letter or number. They could exclude these from the so-called 1200 cars.
This too, however. I want them to offer the slightly different models as little upgrade kits, like any other custom part. Say, a simple name change or a special color might be 50c or 100c (unless you want to scale it for race cars), but a more thorough regional or "sport" variant might be a few 1000s. Maybe a few thousands to switch between a Supra SZ-R and an RZ? Yes please! Same with paint in general, really; I like that they've finally done that with 6.

I also wouldn't mind "generic" interiors if they won't bother doing the actual ones.

I said this in another standard car thread and I will echo it here. I always though it would be better to just remove all the lower standard cars from the game and release it with a lower car quantity. That was until another racing game did something similar. They released the next version on the next gen console and ended up removing about 500 cars from the game from 700! Along with over half the tracks have been removed. All with the main focus to have better graphics.

While I have thought that would be a great idea, I think its terrible. So now the majority of the content has been removed from the previous game just to have better graphics. Huge disappointment. Its a tough situation for PD to be in. They either remove the majority of their cars to keep the best quality, by sacrificing quantity. Its really a lose lose situation for both developers.

I really like how GT6 handled the premium / standard situation. We still have all the cars and they can be brought everywhere. No the standards are not as good as the premiums but at least we can still drive them around and bring them to photo travel. Truly sit and think about how empty the game would feel with 800 cars removed from the game.

Forza's removed cars are one generation old not two.

I think all they need to do is get all of the current premiums (400 or so), add a few new cars to it, retexture the cars to premiumise the premiums and then retexture the day/night/weather tracks and boom, you've got a game that has more content than Forza and Project CARS and at a similar quality as them without even trying too hard.

Maybe there's an easier way of upgrading standards. First things first. 1) Why not add premium headlight's and tail-light's, so that standards have at least the same lighting looks/effects as premium's. 2) The other issue is some standards don't have a horn (e.g. Holden Commodore SS). Now how silly is that ? ... 3) After that, slap on a real interiors but they don't need to be high quality like premium's.

I'd be very 'ok' with that for the Commodore SS. Because if they are to rescan it, they might as well scan he current model as Holden announced in December 2013 that it will cease production of the Commodore in Australia in 2017. (it will continue to be made in the USA as the Chevrolet SS).

Polyphony Digital has enough premium assets to not include a single Standard car in the next-gen Gran Turismo game. Just look at GT3; it didn't have the astonishing amount of cars as GT2 did, but it also didn't import any assets straight from the PS1 games, and you didn't see anyone complaining. Well, the road surface textures on some tracks was just awful, but that didn't look terrible on our CRT boxes way back when.

If Standards are to return in the next generation of GT, then I guess Sony or PD thinks more cars = more sales. :indiff:

I think all they need to do is get all of the current premiums (400 or so), add a few new cars to it, retexture the cars to premiumise the premiums and then retexture the day/night/weather tracks and boom, you've got a game that has more content than Forza and Project CARS and at a similar quality as them without even trying too hard.
Retexturing and premiumizing is similar quality to Forza and Project Cars? Dude, what are you smoking and where can I get me some:lol:

f1 motor.jpg

I said premiumising the premiums. :P If you HD'd the current Premium models then they'd keep up with Forza easily.

This is GT6 and Forza 5 (on track) On track being the important part.
dob9c9.jpg

Premiumising the GT6 premium cars to the GT7 premium level is more than acceptable graphically considering Forza 5 is Xbox One's flagship Next Gen racer and doesn't look any better than GT6.

Project CARS is still only being shown on high end PC's at the minute and not what it will look like on the consoles. I am predicting it won't look anywhere near as good as the PC.

My original point remains. Making what we have already more HD is an easy way for PD to cut corners and still make an acceptable game. Because as we know, PD have cut that many corners in their time they had to create update 1.03 to help them avoid it. :lol:

They should 2 versions of GT7. Standard edition, and premium edition.

Standard edition could include the standard cars, with more cars on track for standard car races.

Premium edition with premium cars only. Less cars on track but looks real pretty.

Cynical as I am when it comes to PD, I think the true standards will not see the light of day in GT7. However I can see "premiumized" standards making their way into the game a la the Rufs etc. Standards are in the game to begin with to pad the car count and I'm not sure they will let the premiumized versions go without a fight.

I agree, but I see it as those RUF's we've already got are WIP's of Premium replacements anyways. Which I hope people are understanding here; those of us who want Standards cut from the PS4 GT game don't want those cars cut from the lineup, we want them rebuilt to modern-day standards. Well... the ones worth saving, anyways :P

What I think would be nice of PD to do is instead of removing every standard is that they do a community vote and the first 1-100 or so cars get converted to full premium models (assuming that alot of people did the vote'

Absolutely. It'd be a great way to both interact with the fans and prioritize for PD's sake. Fans would feel like they had a hand in shaping the lineup (for better or worse). Discounting the near-duplicates, I think I could easily pick 100 Standards I'd prefer to be brought up to proper quality without feeling like I missed much in terms of variety.

Yes please. No cuts, cuts are unnecessary. I would most certainly be pissed if they tried to remove the Element or the Leaf.

Dropping the Leaf would make no sense; it's already Premium, the time has been sunk into it. Dropping the Element, a quasi-trucklet that has little impact on the history of automobiles, and is a Standard? If PD has nothing better to model, then sure, I'd say they wrangle one in and redo it. But there's literally hundreds of cars that they'd get a more positive response from the players (in general) from.

Cuts are absolutely necessary; there's a reason we don't have car models from GT1 floating around, with a few hundred polygons to their names.

I also wouldn't mind "generic" interiors if they won't bother doing the actual ones.

Personally, I'd rather they don't include a car until it has a proper interior. The M4 piecemeal approach was disappointing. There's nothing realistic about some one-size-fits-all interior.

Maybe there's an easier way of upgrading standards. First things first. 1) Why not add premium headlight's and tail-light's, so that standards have at least the same lighting looks/effects as premium's. 2) The other issue is some standards don't have a horn (e.g. Holden Commodore SS). Now how silly is that ? ... 3) After that, slap on a real interiors but they don't need to be high quality like premium's.

1. Adding premium head- and tail- lights would make the contrast between current quality standards and the rest of a Standard's low-rent exterior even more obvious.
2. That is silly. :P
3. On the PS4? You'd better hope they're high quality, especially if this is Sony's premier racing title...

I'd be very 'ok' with that for the Commodore SS. Because if they are to rescan it, they might as well scan he current model as Holden announced in December 2013 that it will cease production of the Commodore in Australia in 2017. (it will continue to be made in the USA as the Chevrolet SS).

This of course raises another issue; in some cases, would it be better to just move on to the current model? In the case of the Monaro, I'd hope PD would go back and rebuild one eventually, since it's the last generation to carry that name. The Commodore, though? I'm not all too familiar with their history, so I'm not sure if a newer model would be preferred by fans.

I said premiumising the premiums. :P If you HD'd the current Premium models then they'd keep up with Forza easily.

dob9c9.jpg

Premiumising the GT6 premium cars to the GT7 premium level is more than acceptable graphically considering Forza 5 is Xbox One's flagship Next Gen racer and doesn't look any better than GT6.

Project CARS is still only being shown on high end PC's at the minute and not what it will look like on the consoles. I am predicting it won't look anywhere near as good as the PC.

My original point remains. Making what we have already more HD is an easy way for PD to cut corners and still make an acceptable game. Because as we know, PD have cut that many corners in their time they had to create update 1.03 to help them avoid it. :lol:

What your comparison ignores is that Photo mode is not what the player will see. Sure, two tiny still images look pretty similar quality-wise (ignoring the terribad trees in the background of the GT shot), but in motion, the two games aren't even on the same level.

I agree with your general sentiment though; Premiums need little work to really shine on the next-gen; some, like the Gallardo, need a few extra polys thrown their way to fix some rough modelling (the wheelwells, oh dear), but bumping up the resolution on textures for race cars and the like will do just fine in a lot of cases. Though, PD still has to model more than the WRC cars' under-body features...

dob9c9.jpg

I'm not sure you know entirely how game development works. You don't make something "more HD" (which makes no sense anyway) just by added new textures and it really isn't even as simple to do that as you make out.

I'm just going to be plain and simple about this: if GT7 has standards in it I will not even think about buying the game. It would be just unacceptable to have in a next gen game.

This is how GT7 will work. PD will honor everything y'all have said. Current Premium's only and all that mumbo jumbo.

Except the Alto Works. That will be current quality, and will always be the first car you see in the dealer menu. PD will laugh at your rage.

Well they all need work for PS4 but certainly some more than others. Mainly all the old original circuits. Personally I'd like to see a lot of them given a proper overhaul, like they did with High Speed Ring. Keep the track the same, but completely redo the landscape. Racing alongside unprotected rocks and mountains is a bit silly, especially if you're not going to include a proper damage model.
Ahh. This is what I thought for months now. :)

What I think would be nice of PD to do is instead of removing every standard is that they do a community vote and the first 1-100 or so cars get converted to full premium models (assuming that alot of people did the vote'
PD interacting with their fans and actually listening to them? What kind of planet do you think we live on?
I'm kinda done with Gran Turismo (partially because I don't have a PS4). I don't have high expectations for what PD is going to do with GT7. If we can add wheel offsets and flares in GT6 I'm sold. I really don't care about the standards. I just want more customization, and if getting that means dropping the standards I'm all for it.

PD needs to take a leaf out of Forza's playbook. I'm actually not too fussed about accurate cabins as when I race, I'm not interested in non working dials and such.

If they give me an approximation thats fine to me.

What I do want is an accurate body shape, wheels, stance and drive FX.

Just so you know how bad the competiton is... Forza 5 cut and pastes models from Forza 2!

No.

PD needs to take a leaf out of Forza's playbook. I'm actually not too fussed about accurate cabins as when I race, I'm not interested in non working dials and such.

If they give me an approximation thats fine to me.

What I do want is an accurate body shape, wheels, stance and drive FX.

Just so you know how bad the competiton is... Forza 5 cut and pastes models from Forza 2!
No they haven't.

No they haven't.

Technically no, but they do have some models that apparently were used in the past few games and updated slightly ('70 Chevelle comes to mind).

As for the issue of duplicates, here's a post I made in another thread on the subject.
I really wish someone, especially PD, would just model the basic cars and then provide the parts to make the different models. Let's just use the Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO as an example (since it was sold in several places).

They could create the basic model with base level exterior. There would be a menu similar to GT Auto when you purchase your car, which would include wheels, bodykits/spoilers, and dash configuration (RHD/LHD). The interior styling/layout could also be changed (if it differs for each model.) You could make any model you want (which would fullfill their love of multiple models), and it would simplify the dealership layout. Theoretically, they could make one model for several years and only have to change certain parts to distinguish the years.

However, this is just a pipedream for now it seems.

"I'm thinking about standard cars in GT7"

Dont.

If I think about it, it will be a freaking nightmare.

What if GT7 didn't even advertise that standards are in the game?
Then in game there could be a little menu called GT Classics, where the most popular semi-premium cars could be kept, pending a full premium version being added.
Kill the duplicate cars and any cars that have already have a premium version, but keep the ones that aren't fully premium (yet) in the classic section.
Add an Allow 'standards' check box to online settings and then nobody would have to see or use a standard car if they didn't like it.

Back