I'm thinking about standard cars in GT7

• Thread starter Illogical
  • 521 comments
What if GT7 didn't even advertise that standards are in the game?
Then in game there could be a little menu called GT Classics, where the most popular semi-premium cars could be kept, pending a full premium version being added.
Kill the duplicate cars and any cars that have already have a premium version, but keep the ones that aren't fully premium (yet) in the classic section.
Add an Allow 'standards' check box to online settings and then nobody would have to see or use a standard car if they didn't like it.

It's getting to the point where it seems some people just can't accept the fact that the next game will most likely have less cars, and some "favorites" may be dropped. Going into a game on the PS4 means there shouldn't be assets from the PS2 era at all.

What if GT7 didn't even advertise that standards are in the game?
Then in game there could be a little menu called GT Classics, where the most popular semi-premium cars could be kept, pending a full premium version being added.
Kill the duplicate cars and any cars that have already have a premium version, but keep the ones that aren't fully premium (yet) in the classic section.
Add an Allow 'standards' check box to online settings and then nobody would have to see or use a standard car if they didn't like it.
That's an excellent (using twisted PD logic) way to get the standards into the game and boost the car content. I can easily see this happening and calling it a ground-breaking achievement in blending the "Gran Turismo classics fans have overwhelmingly told us they want to continue to enjoy:banghead:", and the power of the PS4. 1000 car on PS4 here we come. :lol:

That's an excellent (using twisted PD logic) way to get the standards into the game and boost the car content. I can easily see this happening and calling it a ground-breaking achievement in blending the "Gran Turismo classics fans have overwhelmingly told us they want to continue to enjoy:banghead:", and the power of the PS4. 1000 car on PS4 here we come. :lol:

Using PD's logic we'll lose premiums for the next game. Think of how many cars have randomly disappeared from GT games over the years, especially in the jump from GT4 to 5 (which given the appaling quality of some of the cars thst made it is silly). And I'd be happy to know why the Ginetta G4 and Jensen Interceptor vanished between 5 and 6!

Like I said, if PD did not advertise the 'classic' models as being in the game it would be a bonus to the game rather than making up the numbers.

Think of it like a CoD game with old maps hidden in the game as bonus/ Easter egg levels.

I'm actually thinking that a Gran Turismo just came out unfinished, and people apparently are more interested in what GT7 will offer rather than our actual game getting fixed, or actually enjoying what we just got.

I mean, gee, it's a bit too early for all this.

Using PD's logic we'll lose premiums for the next game. Think of how many cars have randomly disappeared from GT games over the years, especially in the jump from GT4 to 5 (which given the appaling quality of some of the cars thst made it is silly). And I'd be happy to know why the Ginetta G4 and Jensen Interceptor vanished between 5 and 6!

Like I said, if PD did not advertise the 'classic' models as being in the game it would be a bonus to the game rather than making up the numbers.

Think of it like a CoD game with old maps hidden in the game as bonus/ Easter egg levels.
Problem is this is PD. There is no way they would include hundreds of cars and then not include them in marketing.

Why so anti standards?
Id like to have them as choice, maybe even when installing game you choose.
If they do a slick interface it could all be done in a good way.
I can even see PD arguing for them.
1: Now you can try them against good AI drivers
2: New trackmodels and physics make them interresting again
3: Your choice use them if you want. Easy interface in game.
4: Totally destructable now (this is my wish :))

Op you can relax, if you took notice at GT6 car roster you would see that PD is actively removing duplicates. I was going through my garage of race cars and noticed that the '01 R8 #2 car is gone the silver/yellow car...totally gone. The Miata's seem to be getting a bit of a culling in their incredible huge list of optional choices but still a whole car in GT, instead of actual options. See the Skylines are still out in force but as the culling continues I expect to see that brought down to a radical number and only have the historic versions. There will positively be zero chance of standards appearing in GT7 simply because PD has about 500 premium cars already in GT6, to those who assume PD will have to go scan the cars over again, not a chance. When PD collected their information for GT5, they were taken at the highest quality possible, everything in GTHD, GT5 and GT6 is super sampled(look it up). They just tailor the level of detail to fit the machine running it, GT5 and GT6 cars are ridiculously detailed, you see it more readily in GT6 when you visit the Auto shop and have something done or in the showcase(hopefully PD also renders the opposite side of the wheels this time around, lol).

As for people worrying about cars disappearing never to be seen again, it's usually a choice of the director or in the case of special cars'; licenses. That's the nature of the beast, but GT7 is a while off and I'm not buying a PS4 anytime soon, I still have this PS3 here and I am awaiting my track editor and community update.

One thing I really hope to see in GT7 is a much more indepth expression from the vehicles themselves, body roll is still far too limited on anything but stock suspension. It looks horrid in replays as your car has all the stiffness of a brick wall in the wind, ugh! Hopefully a return to simulation with actual degradation of fuel, tires in addition to longer circuit races building up marbles toward the outer edge of courses on turns, pooling of water in correct places on courses. I can only imagine what they can cook up on PS4 knowing how Kaz likes to be quirky and toss something in there that seems a bit half thought about and too much too soon.

I said this in another standard car thread and I will echo it here. I always though it would be better to just remove all the lower standard cars from the game and release it with a lower car quantity. That was until another racing game did something similar. They released the next version on the next gen console and ended up removing about 500 cars from the game from 700! Along with over half the tracks have been removed. All with the main focus to have better graphics.

While I have thought that would be a great idea, I think its terrible. So now the majority of the content has been removed from the previous game just to have better graphics. Huge disappointment. Its a tough situation for PD to be in. They either remove the majority of their cars to keep the best quality, by sacrificing quantity. Its really a lose lose situation for both developers.

I really like how GT6 handled the premium / standard situation. We still have all the cars and they can be brought everywhere. No the standards are not as good as the premiums but at least we can still drive them around and bring them to photo travel. Truly sit and think about how empty the game would feel with 800 cars removed from the game.

What i don't understand is why PD doesn't hire MORE car developers? I mean they have like 200 employees (for everything) right now, but this game franchise has made over a billion $ in sales! Can't they hire (at least temporarily), another 300 emplyees and convert those damn standards to premiums once and for all ?

Well we have been told by PD that premiums are scanned at higher quality levels than is used in GT5 and some premiums were improved beyond GT5 in GT6.

With regard to standards, the huge variety of cars is appealling. The long term goal should be to have ALL cars premium. They are ALL worthwhile to someone. I would like the choice to have a menu option to enable you to purchase legacy standard cars in game until they have been upgraded. However by default none are in the game and none get used as AI cars. In game car counts should differentiate between premiums and legacy vehicles.

PD should model the top 100 standards as chosen by the community but ask for users help in creating 3d models of the others. There's some fan talent out there that might do it for free.

Op you can relax, if you took notice at GT6 car roster you would see that PD is actively removing duplicates. I was going through my garage of race cars and noticed that the '01 R8 #2 car is gone the silver/yellow car...totally gone.

Last I checked the #2 was still available at the dealership.

I don't want to lose any car. If somebody don't like standards than don't use them. Where is the problem?. I still think that they need to add things not to removed them. If they droped some of the standard race car (Minolta, Pescarolo, V12 LMR, D2....) or any iconic standars (E-type, Giulia, 2002 turbo, R5....) would that make any good to the GT franchise? Higly doubt.

Last I checked the #2 was still available at the dealership.

I don't want to lose any car. If somebody don't like standards than don't use them. Where is the problem?. I still think that they need to add things not to removed them. If they droped some of the standard race car (Minolta, Pescarolo, V12 LMR, D2....) or any iconic standars (E-type, Giulia, 2002 turbo, R5....) would that make any good to the GT franchise? Higly doubt.
Nobody wants to lose the cars themselves, it's the old models that have to go. That is the problem. I mean where would you draw the line? Would PS1 assets be ok in a PS4 game? SNES? There has to be a point where old, outdated assets are removed or preferably replaced and personally I think two generations of console is beyond that line. Have you seen what PS4 is capable of? You're ok with mixing that with low poly, rough upscaled PS2 assets?

I didn`t think of GT7 yet. I try to play GT6... :confused:

But speaking of which: After the quite disappointing start of GT6 PD should fix their competence in doing racing games or at least stick to their made promises/announcements. I`m pretty sure that even GT hardcore fans will have a very close look at GT7 and that pre-orders will drop below GT6 pre-order counts unless GT7`s game concept is revolutionary. Another inhibition level to buy GT7: You`ll need a PS4. So PD: Better make a badass game!!!

To limit efforts/expenses I guess a car number limitation is mandatory and easy to get if you just drop them legions of duplicate MX-5/Miatas etc. I wouldn´t miss many of them 1,200 cars we have now. I would recommend PD to start with about 500-600 cars and release somewhat of 100 cars as free DLC via seasonals or random releases (Xmas, Kaz`s birthday :P etc.) over a reasonable period. Keeps the game fresh.

Same with tracks. PD: Surprise us with tracks! You can do it.

What I think about GT7 on PS4: It can be the kiss of death for the GT series or a start into a new era of sim racing. Let`s hope...

Uhm, standard cars?
Grumpy-Cat-NO.jpg

The GT4-era standards will be upgraded to PS3 level and then be put on PS4 in GT7, they will become the new standards.

I'm wondering.. If upgrading 800 cars to premium is that hard and time consuming, how did they do it (create the 1200 cars) in the first place?? It was the best (graphics) possible then, just as premiums are now. I know more details means more time "drawing", but it is not only the hardware generating graphics that improve in time, but also the tools and software used to make the animations too, right??

Did they not anticipate this when they decided to make premiums?

YZF
What i don't understand is why PD doesn't hire MORE car developers? I mean they have like 200 employees (for everything) right now, but this game franchise has made over a billion $ in sales! Can't they hire (at least temporarily), another 300 emplyees and convert those damn standards to premiums once and for all ?
I have also been saying that for years. More developers and some outsourcing would indeed help a LOT. All the great responses are what we have been echoing for many years. I love KYs vision for GT, he just needs more people to help him complete that wonderful goal.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

I'm wondering.. If upgrading 800 cars to premium is that hard and time consuming, how did they do it (create the 1200 cars) in the first place?? It was the best (graphics) possible then, just as premiums are now. I know more details means more time "drawing", but it is not only the hardware generating graphics that improve in time, but also the tools and software used to make the animations too, right??

Did they not anticipate this when they decided to make premiums?

GT4-quality cars (most GT6 Standards) took roughly one month to be made, and are comprised of ~4000 polygons. Not having to model an interior also cuts the time down significantly. While tools have certainly improved in a decade, we're still looking at models with vastly higher quality, and over 100 times the polygon count - likely more, if PD does have even higher-quality models that we haven't yet seen because of the PS3.

I'm not sure you know entirely how game development works. You don't make something "more HD" (which makes no sense anyway) just by added new textures and it really isn't even as simple to do that as you make out.

I do understand, and it is quite simple. (example) Lets say the textures used in PS3 games are around 512x512 pixels to keep the file size down and rendering up but still keeping some quality. Making them 1024x1024 for PS4 would double the amount of detail instantly and as the new system can cope with the rendering it would be fine. They did the same with PS2 to PS3 with the textures and adding extra polygons to account for them. They could do 400 - 500 standard cars in the time it takes to make 150 premiums so they could easily do 300 - 400 Premiums in the same time frame and 300 - 400 cars is more than enough for a game. You wouldn't drive them all anyway, or most wouldn't.

What your comparison ignores is that Photo mode is not what the player will see. Sure, two tiny still images look pretty similar quality-wise (ignoring the terribad trees in the background of the GT shot), but in motion, the two games aren't even on the same level.

25jd27k.jpg

That one better? :P . I don't see a massive issue in the car models at all and the tiniest bit of work will be more than fine to keep up with the next gen (in my opinion). I know the environments are different and so is the lighting so you can't compare them, which is where PD have to spend their time in the next game. But the car models themselves (my point) are not far off from each other and being lazy (PD's strong-suit) will still give an acceptable level of quality. They do however need to spend the time on the tracks and environments to get that up to scratch.

PD shouldn't use standard cars in GT7, because they would look hilarious on PS4 and less cars means less work for the poor sound team.
But the car models themselves (my point) are not far off from each other and being lazy (PD's strong-suit) will still give an acceptable level of quality. They do however need to spend the time on the tracks and environments to get that up to scratch.
Please do yourself a favour and play both games before you compare the car models.

Please do yourself a favour and play both games before you compare the car models.

I have, the original photo of the black and pink Civic was created by me and the photo was taken by me. ;) My points are built upon opinions from playing the games, not from making stuff up to appear smart. Like 80% of GT Planet does. ;)

Please do yourself a favour and don't assume things before commenting. :P

Except that they did just that in GT6 marketing campaign. "There are no more standards", remember?

Problem is this is PD. There is no way they would include hundreds of cars and then not include them in marketing.
Surely they will, they will just conveniently leave out the 'standard' part, like they did before GT5 release. ;)

I would say YES to most of the standards upgraded to semi-premiums. Example: Seat Ibiza Cupra. Thats pretty much like a premium without interior.

Back