Immigration

• Thread starter KSaiyu
  • 1,702 comments
We've seen that the smugglers are willing to sink their own boats to make sure that the people have to be picked up by Australia, at the risk of drowning to all
The irony in all of this is that out government pitches itself as "a friend of small business", but has fundamentally failed to recognise that the people smugglers are running their operations as a business. They try to shut them down by spreading the word that asylum seekers - even genuine refugees - won't be resettled in Australia, but the message clearly isn't getting through. When those Rohingya were picked up off the coast of Aceh, several were interviewed and they said that they wanted to come to Australia, but had no idea about the policy. People smugglers load boats with hundreds of people who pay in advance, and cut them loose on the open sea. They're not guiding vessels in the way they once were. There is nothing about the operation to disrupt because the people smugglers quit the operation before we become aware of it.

We have erred in two major areas: first, when Kevin Rudd was Prime Minister, he recognised that people smuggling was a regional problem, and so demanded a regional solution. Abbott countered this by accusing Rudd of let other countries dictate our foreign policy (but he has been happy to take a dump on their foreign policies), and so we refuse to help in any capacity. Secondly, he insists that refugees must "come through the front door, not the back", but fails to recognise that the likes of the Rohingya cannot come in through the front door because they are denied citizenship rights by their own government, and thus cannot get visas.

Then that is surely the problem of the Burmese government. Can you not see that if you let the Rohingya in en masse it would create even more false hope to not just the Rohingya, but every would be economic migrant and asylum seeker in Asia?

Alright, Australia takes the current refugees.

What happens to the next boat?

That's the quandry in a nutshell. @Imari had a crack at injecting some substance, but still proposed an approach that would simply allow every person that thinks they require refuge to float the gauntlet, and chance their arm that they might come out the other end alive. In a way, I don't mind it. The worst thing about the current setup is that we're generating a portion of society that has had only inprisonment as the their earliest experience of their new country. As cold as it sounds, I'd kind of rather the loss of life than the loss of a stable mental state.

Still, as far as I can see, the only way we're not limited to dealing with either greater or lesser evils, is to be proactive. Seems that wearing "Threat them as humans!" and "Don't abuse their human rights!" t-shirts is more important than nutting out a system that would actually work though.

I have yet to see a logical explaination on how Australia can take in refugees without getting flooded by them because of those actions.

Ever try feed a Seagull?

We having a small population and huge land is not a logical answer, especially when we are already at our infustructure limits already as our population is growing at a higher rate then any other developed country by percentage.

Unless you think them being homeless on our massive land is the solution?

I have yet to see a logical explaination on how Australia can take in refugees without getting flooded by them because of those actions.

Ever try feed a Seagull?

We having a small population and huge land is not a logical answer, especially when we are already at our infustructure limits already as our population is growing at a higher rate then any other developed country by percentage.

Unless you think them being homeless on our massive land is the solution?

Sincerest apologies, but @prisonermonkeys is far too busy getting riled up elsewhere to give you a non-answer here.

I am yet to see any conclusive evidence that our policy has made any actual impact on the region. I would say that it hasn't, considering that there are thousands of people adrift in the Andaman Sea.

I might not have all of the answers, but don't buy into LeMansAid's hype. He's quite happy to have his government commit massive human rights violations in his name because one person can't produce a bulletproof policy on demand.

I might not have all of the answers, but don't buy into LeMansAid's hype. He's quite happy to have his government commit massive human rights violations in his name because one person can't produce a bulletproof policy on demand.

What's this?

I'm.... happy..... with....... massive human rights violations? That's pretty damn slanderous. You're starting to walk a fine line there with your commentary on some of our characters.

I put forward something that you didn't bother to comment on. You might not think anything of it, but you've given no equivalent alternative.

Personally, I'd like to look at how effectively we could actively find people genuinely in need of refuge, and double, triple, or quadruple our intake. In concert with that, if harsh treatment of boat arrivals continued it would at least count towards tipping the scales in favour of would be refugees choosing against the potentially deadly option and striving for the safe option. If the balance was right, and we're taking in enough people the "right" way, I'd hope that it would end up being viewed as a completely stupid idea to blow every family member's life savings, risk dying at sea, and being locked up indefinitely. It's all about getting the proportions of the good vs the bad right. At the moment we seem to have bugger all of the good going on, and perception follows. Perception being a really important thing in stopping people jumping on dodgy boats.

...To be 100% honest, I haven't been following this issue so am kinda curious: from what little info I read online, Aussie gov said not to "encourage" the traffickers. Am I right?
I know EU plans to attack the smugglers directly by blowing their ships up, so what is Aus planning to do? Or are they too busy worrying about the upcoming Ashes to care? :odd:

Right now we send most refugees to an island outside of Australian territory, the idea being that it will stop more Refugees coming by boats here as the process will be very long.

What the Rudd Governemnt did was remove this process and and have them processed in overcrowded Australian Detention centers, problem was Refugees then started coming like a Flock a seagulls to food and in the process 1000s died in countless Boat capsizes in a short period of time.

As you can see when the policy got introduced in 2007 and implemented till 2013 the number of people arriving by Boat went from 60 in 2006(before policy) to 20587(before policy was scrapped in 2013).
400px-BoatArrivals.gif

Not only was the refugee Numbers getting out of hand but more where dying as a result(Drowning).

When the Rudd/Gillard Labour Government Realized this was a Failure then went back to the Original plan in the last year of their leadership when they lost the Election to the Liberals they made it so that they wouldn't disclose Refugee numbers to the public to deter refugees from trying to come and since less boats have came, but because the refugees are now in a different country they don't have to be detained under Australian Law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Solution

Fact is you can play all Human rights this and that, but this will cost soo much more money from people who don't want to foot the bill(the people who voted) and many more will die as a result. Refugees despite how poor their conditions are do not have a Born right to Australian Money, and they seem pretty adamant to skip all the other Asian countries(Many with much better Economy's and Living standards then where they Originate) on their Quest to Australia looking for it.

Also please keep in mind that the Market price for getting on one of these barely floating boats is significantly more then any Airfare to Australia will cost.

Last edited:
The new immigration policy enforced by Brussel is being shot down by several members. It started with Hungary, Slovakia and Estonia refusing to take in extra fugitives, and now France is being stubborn.

... and Czech Republic as well.

I'm really surprised that our politicians are showing some common sense in this matter. Or maybe they are afraid because people would be upset about immigrants and next time they would vote someone else.

from what little info I read online, Aussie gov said not to "encourage" the traffickers. Am I right?
Partially. They say they want to discourage traffickers, but they haven't done it. The traffickers just load people onto vessels, take their money, and cast them off. Even if every country refused to take them, the traffickers would keep going.

Partially. They say they want to discourage traffickers, but they haven't done it. The traffickers just load people onto vessels, take their money, and cast them off. Even if every country refused to take them, the traffickers would keep going.

...So what are their short- and long-term plans? Simply burying one's head in sand won't get them anywhere, right? Haven't Aus gov put forward a... "action plan" or some such?

...So what are their short- and long-term plans?
No idea - they have literally made it illegal for anyone involved in border security to talk about any aspect of border security:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...on-centre-secrecy-just-got-even-worse/6501086

While there might be an argument for keeping tactics at sea a secret, this applies to detention facilities and anything that happens within them. There have been reports of widespread sexual abuse, denial of medical treatment, and attacks from locals living adjacent to the facilities. And now, we will know nothing about it.

No idea - they have literally made it illegal for anyone involved in border security to talk about any aspect of border security:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...on-centre-secrecy-just-got-even-worse/6501086

While there might be an argument for keeping tactics at sea a secret, this applies to detention facilities and anything that happens within them. There have been reports of widespread sexual abuse, denial of medical treatment, and attacks from locals living adjacent to the facilities. And now, we will know nothing about it.

...Dunno what to say but...hmm, maybe Australian gov is taking a lesson on "Good Governance" from North Korea...:boggled:

...Dunno what to say but...hmm, maybe Australian gov is taking a lesson on "Good Governance" from North Korea...:boggled:
It's frightening because they can do anything they want and nobody will know anything about it. We have already faced serious criticism from the UN commissioner charged with investigating claims of torture; our response was "oh, shut up and give us credit for saving lives".

It's frightening because they can do anything they want and nobody will know anything about it. We have already faced serious criticism from the UN commissioner charged with investigating claims of torture; our response was "oh, shut up and give us credit for saving lives".

...Wait, doesn't Austalia have a law protecting whistleblowers? What happens if you expose the ugly truths?

...Aaaand if such a law isn't in place then can the Aus government demand extradition if you blow the proverbial whistle and run to... oh I dunno, Sweden?

Oh, good - now we're housing asylum seekers alongside violent offenders, outlaw bikie members and sex offenders as a means of preventing them from entering the country:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...on-detainees-sent-to-christmas-island/6503812
This article is the equivalent of Today Tonight "exposing" some supposedly dodgy Islamist something-or-other, but simply showing Muslims praying, to a background of scary music.

From the article.....
..... the centre's high-security facilities would house criminals in the period between the end of their prison sentence and when they are deported to their country of origin.

But for the fact that they're from, and going to, another country, they're no different to ex-cons that you'd have all around you. Are you xenophobic?

You're lapping up the same drivel that the trashy "news" shows deal in.

But for the fact that they're from, and going to, another country, they're no different to ex-cons that you'd have all around you.
They're still violent offenders, career criminals and sex offenders. They're being deported - but that doesn't mean that they are rehabilitated.

They're still violent offenders, career criminals and sex offenders. They're being deported - but that doesn't mean that they are rehabilitated.
It never does.

Maybe your lust for ever more ammunition is blinding you to all logic here. There are highly debatable policies in place right now. This one can be spun to look quite bad - but in reality, it's a non-starter as debate fodder.

What is the difference between that and ''illegal'' immigrants.

Remmember there are legal ways that are significantly cheaper to getting in this country that don't require spending thousands of dollars to get on a barely floating vessel so they can try skip the queue.

there are legal ways that are significantly cheaper to getting in this country

...:indiff: I'm sure this is the case most of the time, but generally speaking, many folks who choose to ride in a dingy, smelly, cramped excuse of a ship are not aware of that. I thought I read that on a link provided somewhere in these pages.

Besides, how many of these asylum seekers qualify for that status anyway? One in ten thousand? A hundred thousand? What are the requirements to be accepted? A good grasp of basic English? A basic understanding of Aussie culture? Amount of moolah in their bank accounts?

I think that's mustafur's point - they are trying to cheat the system. This is probably unintentional since they are being fed lies by the smugglers.

You guys would be surprised how many of those people know exactly what they are doing by being in those boats, after all they are spending huge money getting on the boat in the first place.

I would bet if the requirements to gain residency here where relaxed alot of people wouldn't reduce themselves to this method, and at the end of the day that is likely the self created scenario here that both governments fail to understand.

Back